Newbie Mint query

bluesofa

I did the first part of the Alt-F2 instruction.

Then I restarted Mint and the speakers worked. I didn’t have to try the “pulseaudio –start” at all.

So that part is great. Thanks for your persistence helping me.

I don’t have to part-load the Mint CD any more. However…..running Mint after W7, there’s still no speakers. But, I have since realised that if I switch off the laptop first and start it up again then load Mint, the speakers will now work.

So a small work-around, but it solves that problem.

I have struggled to follow some of your suggestions because I am new to Linux, and keep comparing things to Windows, which is probably not a good idea.

I have a new issue now, which has been happening for two/three days. The laptop switches off completely after running Mint for between two to five minutes. It switches off suddenly, as if the power was removed.

Initially I thought it might be a laptop issue, but it’s not, because W7 runs fine all the time .

I’ve tried to narrow it down. The Mint screensaver is set for 1 minute, the display switches off after 5 minutes. That’s been OK running like this for a few weeks until now.

I changed the power management so the display was set to “Never” switch off. Made no difference.

Initially as I thought it was when the screensaver/display settings came in, I tried surfing the net and made sure I kept moving the mouse every 5/10 seconds to prevent the screensaver coming in.

The power still shut off a couple of minutes after starting Mint, irrespective of keyboard/mouse activity.

Any ideas on what might be causing this?

I'm not sure on that one.

The best place for advice and problem solving is to load Hexchat it should automatically connect to #linuxmint-help theres lots of linux experts in there to help, it might vary depending on the time of day.

For extra security:-

1. Open the network list (HexChat > Network List)
  2. Highlight Spotchat
  3. Hit Edit
  4. Change the port to 6697 and check always use SSL for this connection

Thanks for that idea.I found Hexchat.

Only thing is, as Mint still shuts off after a few minutes I won't have enough time to get on there and ask anything. Is it possible to get to Spotchat using Windows do you know?

Just thought I'd give you an update about my ongoing Mint installation.

I had a go with HexChat, as one of the replies suggested.
I spoke with Mint Help, they got me to run a command which sent them some log details, along with them asking which programs I was running at the time it keeps switching off instantly.

Mint Help said the CPU was running too hot and was shutting down. Sometimes I was watching some videos with VLC when it shut off. I asked why it never shut off in Windows, doing the same thing with VLC.
The guy said the Mint/Linux video drivers weren't "as polished" as the Windows ones, so they used more processing power.
His recommendation was not to watch videos in Mint! Bit pointless really, having an alternative OS I can't use for everything I want.

I installed an applet he suggested, to monitor the CPU temperature. I can see now normally it runs about 75-80 degrees, but watching a video with VLC and it builds up to 100 degrees and then shuts off instantly. I installed a Windows CPU monitor to see the difference, that's consistently around 65 - 70 degrees.

I'll have to take my laptop to a computer shop to see if the motherboard needs cleaning - that was a suggestion of Mint Help. Can't do it myself as I can't see how to get the cover open.

I switched over to Mint because I got a new laptop with Windows 10 and didn't like it. I liked Win 7 and Mint (17.3 especially) is pretty much the same from the users POV. If you already have Windows 7, I'd just use it, not really worth the trouble you seem to be having getting the Mint to work. IMHO anyway.

• 2 months later...

Sounds like a dodgy laptop.

The wife uses an Acer desktop with Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon without issue, and I use Mint on the Acer in my office, recently installed Mint 18 Cinnamon. I've always found Mint installs easily and everything works. The only issue I've ever really had with Linux is fighting Skype into submission; though the new version of that works fine.

• 1 month later...

Even 65 degrees (we're talking Celsius, right?) is way too hot for constant operation. Should be 50 or lower. Something is completely wrong there. Cooling fan clogged with dust? Cooler not properly connected with the CPU (Coolingpaste!)? 

On 24/10/2016 at 0:49 PM, raro said:

Even 65 degrees (we're talking Celsius, right?) is way too hot for constant operation. Should be 50 or lower. Something is completely wrong there. Cooling fan clogged with dust? Cooler not properly connected with the CPU (Coolingpaste!)? 

I took the lapptop to a PC shop, specifically asked them to check for dust and remove it. Also to check if the fan was running OK and replace it if faulty. Came back that it was mainly dust, put some more gel in to transfser the heat, fan was running fine.
After that it ran about 55 C, which I thought was much better, but you think is still too hot. I check it regularly now and it's been around 55-60C for the past month when running less than 10% CPU usage.

I run it constantly in the bedroom, no aircon and only a room fan to cool the room.

if  the lap top is sitting flat on a surface, put some small blocks or sometrhing under it to get some air circulation underneath. 

Also  using VLC for watching vids, might help. It's works better than the one installed on Mint  anyways.

8 hours ago, Rob13 said:

if  the lap top is sitting flat on a surface, put some small blocks or sometrhing under it to get some air circulation underneath. 

Also  using VLC for watching vids, might help. It's works better than the one installed on Mint  anyways.

Yes, quite. I have on of those laptop plinths with a USB-powered fan which I've used for a few years.

I agree about VLC, as I use it on Windows so know it well, although before cleaning the laptop it was VLC that caused the laptop to shut down (only under Mint) due to its high CPU usage.

Archived