Drunk student who killed three cyclists given a 2 year sentence

webfact

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The rabble here on ThaiVisa has spoken once again with their collective disdain for all things Thai. This time the Thai justice system is condemned for results that are nearly identical to what would happen in most western countries, a fine and a significant time in a jail far worse than anything in the west. We may have our disagreements over how the justice systems around the world treat drunk driving fatalities, but in most places it is not seen as intentional murder. Sentences are not on the level of murder nor even manslaughter.

As for the young girl, both my kids knew her. She comes from a successful family, but one still far from Hi-So status, pretty much on par with the victims families. She was a good kid who made a really bad decision and is now paying the consequences. But hey, this is ThaiVisa so everyone just demand that she be lynched and ridicule the Thai judicial system even when it works because hey, they are all just a bunch of brown skinned people who are seen as lower than the almighty white male. Most of you just see all Thais as the dust below your feet.

Missed this story before. Why was she only charged with negligent driving, causing damage and drunk driving and not, you know, killing 3 people?

Because this is Thailand. If her family would have had some "juice" I am sure she would have walked with community service and we all know where that leads. Loss of License tripling of insurance what other "penalties" will she suffer? In the picture above she seems to be receiving rock star treatment

Missed this story before. Why was she only charged with negligent driving, causing damage and drunk driving and not, you know, killing 3 people?

Killing three people? You mean premeditated murder? It’s more like manslaughter, or impaired driving causing death. However, the penalties may be different in different countries. Thailand, for example, seems to place excessive leniency on admitting the offense—note her penalty was halved for admitting it—however, that is similar to many Western countries where a plea of guilty or not guilty connotes sentencing differences too.

For example, MADD Canada suggests for a first offense, low alcohol measure, drunk driving causing death would be 3-4 years, plus mandatory alcohol treatment http://www.madd.ca/media/docs/MADD_Canada_Sentencing_Framework_FINAL.pdf

Of course, sentencing differences apply by country law, but MADD is generally harsh, but realistic.

<deleted> disgraceful. How is this even approaching justice? Purely a rhetorical question of course, but I am shocked at the leniency shown here, and the gall of this person to seek bail, assuming her sentence was reduced due to her testimony (a confession of sorts perhaps), then what grounds are there for bail then?

3rd world BS, someone sends some text messages and gets 30 years, and then this only merits 4 (down to 2 on appeal). And shame on the families for not pushing for more suitable justice for their loved ones. Sick story

Don't forget the 15 years for picking mushrooms in the forest which is what2 poor people got as a sentence.

cyclists are not valued as human beings like motorists. This is a world-wide issue.

Ironically, the cyclist usually owns a car and makes good money at work. sure, SE Asia might not fit this generalization.

Some bikes are now 10,000 USD.....

But we are pests of the road, getting in the way of society, trying to improve our health and enjoy the scenery while drivers usually hate us. You ride in a pack!!! they yell, while the driver goes 100 in a 50 speed limit, while texting and sometimes smoking/drinking. they use their power over us, able to kill us at any moment.....bullying, which sometimes results in death.

i say 20-years per death, but that's just me....

Lots of cyclists in my area - Mae Ramphung Beach. 99%+ ride cheap Chinese manufactured knock offs. I saw a guy in January on a Trek Madone 9.

Surprised that the sentence wasn't suspended,because she is a student and NORMALY,sentences for them are suspended.What utter bullshit.It should be that they couldn't care less what or who she was.Original 4 years(and that aint enough)no bail,bang her up now and let her new life begin.

Looking at her,I'm sure there will be a few "ladies' that will have ways of making her sentence a little more less boring????

This girl made a terrible mistake. She had no intent to kill anyone. She is young, as we all were once. In the past many people, including myself, have driven a car under the influence and are lucky we are not walking in her shoes. What we did was wrong and hopefully do not do it again. She is also wrong- but to destroy the rest of her life would also be wrong. The sentence was fair and matches what a person in the USA would most likely get for a similar situation. She will get bail during her appeal which is also consistent with a Western court. She and he family will have to live with the stigma of this situation forever, which in Thailand, maybe worse than the jail sentence.

" secretary-general of No Drink Driving Foundation, admitted that he was surprised by the court’s refusal to suspend the jailterm for the defendant despite the fact that she is a student, noting that in most previous cases of fatal road accidents the court usually suspended the jailterm."

How can even a secretary-general of a No Drink Driving Foundation, the very foundation who is campaigning against no drunk driving not expect full extent of the law to be applied? I bet even the girls family and lawyers were surprise the jail sentence was not suspended after paying millions and admitting to the crime. Seems like justice has been serve, now the question is will the girl actually report to jail or will she try to drag the case on with appeals.

I imagine that he was surprised because they normally suspend the jail term and on this occasion they didn't. It doesn't say that he approved either way and he may well have been quite pleased that for once they didn't.

This girl made a terrible mistake. She had no intent to kill anyone. She is young, as we all were once. In the past many people, including myself, have driven a car under the influence and are lucky we are not walking in her shoes. What we did was wrong and hopefully do not do it again. She is also wrong- but to destroy the rest of her life would also be wrong. The sentence was fair and matches what a person in the USA would most likely get for a similar situation. She will get bail during her appeal which is also consistent with a Western court. She and he family will have to live with the stigma of this situation forever, which in Thailand, maybe worse than the jail sentence.

Yes she sure did make a terrible mistake and should be suitably punished for it. You similarly admit to making the same mistake of drink driving when you were younger, something that many of us also did. However, there is a considerable difference. We were lucky, we didn't kill anyone and if we had, I for one would have expected to be suitably punished and I can assure you that in the UK it would most likely have been a term of imprisonment of more than 2 years. Personally I don't care if her life is ruined, the three people she killed no longer have a life and their families lives are ruined. C'est la vie little hi-so girl, get on with it.

How sad that you believe that her sentence was fair and that she will have to live with it for the rest of her life.

There are 3 people who were alive and who had the rest of. their lives to live until she killed them.

There are 3 families who have lost someone that they have loved and will NEVER see again, yet you bleat about how awful it must be for the girl.

She was NOT the victim, the three people that she killed were. She was the cause of it but at least she has a life to get over it with.

HER victims don't.

Good grief another outrage-orgy from the 'stone her to death' brigade. bah.gif

Thaidream worded it very well.

Also, we all know multiple people who do the exact same thing she did, every single week. Suggest to direct some of the effort towards those people instead of bleating on a forum just to make yourself feel good.

"..The defendant said she would appeal against her conviction and asked for bail through her lawyer.."

The balls she has! Appeal when you get away with threefold murder? So easy? I hope she will get all 4 years in appeal! It will still not do justice to the victims, but it might teach that bitch a lesson angry.gif

Good grief another outrage-orgy from the 'stone her to death' brigade. bah.gif

Thaidream worded it very well.

Also, we all know multiple people who do the exact same thing she did, every single week. Suggest to direct some of the effort towards those people instead of bleating on a forum just to make yourself feel good.

She's a witch, burn the witch.

Killing three people? You mean premeditated murder? Its more like manslaughter, or impaired driving causing death. However, the penalties may be different in different countries. Thailand, for example, seems to place excessive leniency on admitting the offensenote her penalty was halved for admitting ithowever, that is similar to many Western countries where a plea of guilty or not guilty connotes sentencing differences too.

For example, MADD Canada suggests for a first offense, low alcohol measure, drunk driving causing death would be 3-4 years, plus mandatory alcohol treatment http://www.madd.ca/media/docs/MADD_Canada_Sentencing_Framework_FINAL.pdf

Of course, sentencing differences apply by country law, but MADD is generally harsh, but realistic.

You missed my point. I used the broad term "killing 3 people" to cover anything that help her responsible for the cyclist's deaths, whatever the charge could be. But if you look at what she was convicted of none of them have anything to do with killing anyone in any way, she is basically being jailed for causing a car crash while drunk.

So again, why was she not charged/convicted of killing the 3 people?

It cannot be that she paid blood money to all the families because she only settled with 2 out of the 3.

cyclists are not valued as human beings like motorists. This is a world-wide issue.

Ironically, the cyclist usually owns a car and makes good money at work. sure, SE Asia might not fit this generalization.

Some bikes are now 10,000 USD.....

But we are pests of the road, getting in the way of society, trying to improve our health and enjoy the scenery while drivers usually hate us. You ride in a pack!!! they yell, while the driver goes 100 in a 50 speed limit, while texting and sometimes smoking/drinking. they use their power over us, able to kill us at any moment.....bullying, which sometimes results in death.

i say 20-years per death, but that's just me....

I empathise with your thinking but, to be safe DON'T cycle? Risk vs reward! whistling.gif

You wouldn't be saying that if you had done even a month in a Thai prison, 2 years in a Thai prison is hell and alot of ya'll would be contemplating suicide after the 1st week if you were doing a 2 year stint.

Complete joke the justices system in Thailand ..

It follows, then, that not only does the judicial system need a complete overhaul, so, too, does the penal system, with major prison reform, and effective prisoner management with retrained prison guards. The possibility of this happening could only be achieved through international consultation and the placement of some new enlightened officials.

Archived