Drunk student who killed three cyclists given a 2 year sentence

webfact

My insight into the case was made at the very beginning in item 1).

Did you you not read or is it that you did not comprehend it?

Three cyclists were killed while sharing the road with high-speed motor vehicle traffic, even if they were on a bicycle lane. Cases like this are not unique to Thailand and, as far as I can see, the only reason this one is getting so much attention is that the driver was an attractive young woman - as many of the frivolous posts here confirm.

How much have we heard about the (allegedly) distracted truck driver that mowed down these tour bikers, east of Bangkok?:

British cyclists kIlled on round-the-world Trip in Thailand - The Guardian (UK) - 18 Feb 2013

Contrary to your assertion, I do not consider myself an "expert about cycling" although I have been using a bicycle for transportation since I was 11 with a gap of several decades and I have some powers of observation and I, at least, can read.

I have learned a lot about bicycles and cycling in urban Bangkok over the past seven years and have attempted to evolve my own cycling safety rules and desired to share them. I use bicycles almost solely for transportation and not for "sport" and do not belong to any bicycle clubs nor get involved in any one upsmanship cycling nonsense.

My primary intent was to an attempt prevent the future death and injury of cyclists by sharing my evolved strategy and tactics for safer cycling.

If I can prevent the injury or save the life of just one cyclist, my post would be worth it.

What is your contribution to this thread?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The rabble here on ThaiVisa has spoken once again with their collective disdain for all things Thai. This time the Thai justice system is condemned for results that are nearly identical to what would happen in most western countries, a fine and a significant time in a jail far worse than anything in the west. We may have our disagreements over how the justice systems around the world treat drunk driving fatalities, but in most places it is not seen as intentional murder. Sentences are not on the level of murder nor even manslaughter.

As for the young girl, both my kids knew her. She comes from a successful family, but one still far from Hi-So status, pretty much on par with the victims families. She was a good kid who made a really bad decision and is now paying the consequences. But hey, this is ThaiVisa so everyone just demand that she be lynched and ridicule the Thai judicial system even when it works because hey, they are all just a bunch of brown skinned people who are seen as lower than the almighty white male. Most of you just see all Thais as the dust below your feet.

She woz drunk whilst driving, it should be treated as Manslaughter. No excuses.

And if your rich and kill 9,you pay less compensation, get a couple of months community service and don't even have to turn up.

If you're a bunch of drunken thugs in Hua Hin who brutally beat a British family but don't kill anyone, you get a two year prison sentence.

If you're a pretty university student who kills three people thru drunken driving, you get a two year prison sentence.

Where's the justice in that?

This girl made a terrible mistake. She had no intent to kill anyone. She is young, as we all were once. In the past many people, including myself, have driven a car under the influence and are lucky we are not walking in her shoes. What we did was wrong and hopefully do not do it again. She is also wrong- but to destroy the rest of her life would also be wrong. The sentence was fair and matches what a person in the USA would most likely get for a similar situation. She will get bail during her appeal which is also consistent with a Western court. She and he family will have to live with the stigma of this situation forever, which in Thailand, maybe worse than the jail sentence.

How sad that you believe that her sentence was fair and that she will have to live with it for the rest of her life.

There are 3 people who were alive and who had the rest of. their lives to live until she killed them.

There are 3 families who have lost someone that they have loved and will NEVER see again, yet you bleat about how awful it must be for the girl.

She was NOT the victim, the three people that she killed were. She was the cause of it but at least she has a life to get over it with.

HER victims don't.

The usual argument between is a sentence punishment, or is it to rehabilitate and change as well. Is a mistake the same as an intended act.

This sentence is comparable to ones in the UK for similar offences. They don't treat each death separately, it's one accident. And it was an accident but she was also a poor judge to drive home in the early hours after a long night out having drinks.

In the UK sentences are often very inconsistent too.

She has been more severely sentenced than the underage illegal driver who killed 9; or the actress who hit the stationary police car killing the officer inside; or the red bull heir who won't even acknowledge the trial.

cyclists are not valued as human beings like motorists. This is a world-wide issue.

Ironically, the cyclist usually owns a car and makes good money at work. sure, SE Asia might not fit this generalization.

Some bikes are now 10,000 USD.....

But we are pests of the road, getting in the way of society, trying to improve our health and enjoy the scenery while drivers usually hate us. You ride in a pack!!! they yell, while the driver goes 100 in a 50 speed limit, while texting and sometimes smoking/drinking. they use their power over us, able to kill us at any moment.....bullying, which sometimes results in death.

i say 20-years per death, but that's just me....

I would love to buy a bicycle here but far too dangerous. Years ago I used to do a lot of time trialing and loved it but better not to ride a bicycle and live. Sad really.

cyclists are not valued as human beings like motorists. This is a world-wide issue.

Ironically, the cyclist usually owns a car and makes good money at work. sure, SE Asia might not fit this generalization.

Some bikes are now 10,000 USD.....

But we are pests of the road, getting in the way of society, trying to improve our health and enjoy the scenery while drivers usually hate us. You ride in a pack!!! they yell, while the driver goes 100 in a 50 speed limit, while texting and sometimes smoking/drinking. they use their power over us, able to kill us at any moment.....bullying, which sometimes results in death.

i say 20-years per death, but that's just me....

I would love to buy a bicycle here but far too dangerous. Years ago I used to do a lot of time trialing and loved it but better not to ride a bicycle and live. Sad really.

I have just arrived home from my bike ride of about 25kms. It isn't dangerous to buy a bike, neither is it dangerous to ride one. if you haven't even bought a bike how have you decided it isn't worth it? I have been riding my bike for more than 13 years in Thailand. Chiang Mai, round the moat, the Hang Dong Road, Doi Saket Road, Mae Rim Road, all round the villages - hundreds of times. I have ridden around Udon and Khon Kaen and more recently around Surat Thani. In all more than 20,000 kms.

In all that time I have had no incident of any kind. In fact the statistics show that more accidents happen in the home than on the roads.

Come on, mate, don't be a pussy cat, buy yourself a bike and go out and enjoy some fresh air in the countryside. Yes , be careful and vigilant.

Cashed up brat kills 3 with hard evidence and gets 2 years, migrant workers allegedly kill 2 get with no evidence and get the death penalty?

Agreed but those two are not Thai. Same with the people caught with drugs. The Malaysians get the death penalty but Thais with just as much drugs get essentially a slap on the wrist. I have made comments on this before explaining the differences but the mods don't like the truth so I will leave it up to you to fill in what I said or if you tell you in a PM

The result of a completely broken system, combined with what one would presume would be the influence of a wealthy family. No court here could hold up to the influence of money.

Fascinating how there was no charge for manslaughter, despite this careless woman causing the deaths of three people.

Unless and until Thailand sees fit to hire competent judges, who cannot be bought and paid for, and to reform the entire judicial system, the country will not mature into a developed country. My prediction is that most of ASEAN will pass Thailand by, within the next 20 years. Certainly Malaysia, Indonesia (already surpassed Thailand by so many different measures) Vietnam, and quite possibly the Philippines and Burma. Thailand runs the risk of being #6 within ASEAN, if it does not get it's act together. Most other nations in the region are moving forward, while Thailand slowly eases backwards.

The result of a completely broken system, combined with what one would presume would be the influence of a wealthy family. No court here could hold up to the influence of money.

Fascinating how there was no charge for manslaughter, despite this careless woman causing the deaths of three people.

Unless and until Thailand sees fit to hire competent judges, who cannot be bought and paid for, and to reform the entire judicial system, the country will not mature into a developed country. My prediction is that most of ASEAN will pass Thailand by, within the next 20 years. Certainly Malaysia, Indonesia (already surpassed Thailand by so many different measures) Vietnam, and quite possibly the Philippines and Burma. Thailand runs the risk of being #6 within ASEAN, if it does not get it's act together. Most other nations in the region are moving forward, while Thailand slowly eases backwards.

Do you not think that there is even the slightest possibility that the "powers that be" would rather not see Thailand remain locked in time and their privileges locked in stone? They can see the results of a progressive and open society in the West and that is not good news for them.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't read all of the responses, but I think her Blood Alcohol Content was actually quite low. If she actually does 2 years in prison, that will actually be a reasonable sentence. In the past, it was probably unlikely she got any sentence..

She looks doable. Why waste that?

Archived