Can a 70 year old marry a 17 year old? Famous lawyer gives his verdict on Facebook

webfact

Can a 70 year old marry a 17 year old? Famous lawyer gives his verdict on Facebook

17.jpg
Image: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- Following the news earlier this week that an ex cop had married a girl of 17 many Thais posed the question of the legality of the marriage.

A famous lawyer posting on a popular fan page has said "yes" a seventeen year old girl can marry according to Thai law. So long as the parents agree reported Daily News.

In this week's wedding pictures the parents are seated behind the new son in law and their daughter and gave their permission. A good dowry of cash and gold is seen in the pictures laid out in front of the couple.

Lawyer Wirat Wangpitiphanit said on the 'tanaiwirat.com' fan page that Thai law states that a 17 year old can marry so long as parents agree. In fact people as young as 15 can marry if the parents agree but the matter may need to be ratified by a court so it is clearly understood that both sides agree. Permission in such cases might be given when a pregnancy is involved.

Lawyer Wirat also remarked that in the case of a 17 year old marrying the husband would not have the right to claim the dowry back if the union ended in divorce.

Source: Daily News

tvn.png
-- 2016-06-02

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've actually seen worse. Not that long ago, I witnessed a German 92 year old living with an 18 year old here in Udon. If that wasn't bad enough, they had already been together for 2 years. I heard he died just shortly after, but I'm still baffled and speechless about it, like <deleted> ?

(Yeah, I'm not joking)

Another couple I met in the very same village is a 86 year old (also German) being married to a 24 year old. While it's less controversial legally, biologically and neurologically, I can't help using the exact same words again, <deleted> ?

It's just not right...

In fact people as young as 15 can marry if the parents agree but the matter may need to be ratified by a court so it is clearly understood that both sides agree. Permission in such cases might be given when a pregnancy is involved.

I would've though a lengthy jail sentence would be given if a pregnancy was involved in a 15 year old's marriage...

Following the news earlier this week that an ex cop had married a girl of 17 many Thais posed the question of the legality of the marriage.

He is an ex cop, so he should have a large bank account and at least one Ferrari

Knowing that, while he is having his mid afternoon nap, she will be off having fun with her gig.

I've actually seen worse. Not that long ago, I witnessed a German 92 year old living with an 18 year old here in Udon. If that wasn't bad enough, they had already been together for 2 years. I heard he died just shortly after, but I'm still baffled and speechless about it, like <deleted> ?

(Yeah, I'm not joking)

Another couple I met in the very same village is a 86 year old (also German) being married to a 24 year old. While it's less controversial legally, biologically and neurologically, I can't help using the exact same words again, <deleted> ?

It's just not right...

but you forget they were in love cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

In this week's wedding pictures the parents are seated behind the new son in law and their daughter and gave their permission. A good dowry of cash and gold is seen in the pictures laid out in front of the couple.

This statement says it all.

(Yeah, I'm not joking)

It's just not right...

Why is it not right?

It may be against your moral principles, and against what you have been taught in the west, but that doesn't say it isn't right here.

Marriage isn't only about sex........................wink.png

If this was the biggest, most serious problem in this world... it's not ideal of course, but girls could do much worse in this country and they do all the time. Maybe the alternatives weren't to shiny either? Forget your western morals. They don't fit here. This is Thailand, and he probably has money to take care of her. Don't judge the husband based on his age, judge him based on how he treats his wife.

If this was the biggest, most serious problem in this world... it's not ideal of course, but girls could do much worse in this country and they do all the time. Maybe the alternatives weren't to shiny either? Forget your western morals. They don't fit here. This is Thailand, and he probably has money to take care of her. Don't judge the husband based on his age, judge him based on how he treats his wife.

A "real" man would be protecting his granddaughter from predators who do this type of thing. "Real" parents would be teaching their juvenile daughters about this danger also.

Maybe legally its correct but morally, its far from correct.

In fact people as young as 15 can marry if the parents agree but the matter may need to be ratified by a court so it is clearly understood that both sides agree. Permission in such cases might be given when a pregnancy is involved.

I would've though a lengthy jail sentence would be given if a pregnancy was involved in a 15 year old's marriage...

Thai law allows a male rapist to escape any charges if he marries his victim.

Believe it or not when this was in the news a few years some law Professors from Thammasat publicly supported said law

Go figure !

everyone gets morally outraged about this. this is nothing, you want to get upset about something get upset about all the single mothers in thailand who have no way to get no support from the father. who gives a f### about marriage and age gaps any more? way i see it if the 17 year old is consenting and as long as any kids they may have are supported then everything is just peachy.

A "real" man would be protecting his granddaughter from predators who do this type of thing. "Real" parents would be teaching their juvenile daughters about this danger also.

What "moral" are you talking about? There are tens of thousands of teenagers in this country who works as prostitutes, there are tens of thousands of teenage girls who are raped and abused by their handsome, young but oh so drunk husbands every single night, there are lots and lots of single mothers several years younger than this girl. What if that was the alternative? It is for many.

Yes, this man is too old for her and he'll probably pass away before she's thirty, but it's all out in the open and she has a local community around her for support. This is a third world country and third world stuff happens here. It would be nice if it was different, but it isn't and it won't be in a long time. Stop riding on your shiny white horses of western moral for a while and try to face reality.

what is immoral about it ? Anyway money trumps morals everywhere on earth

(Yeah, I'm not joking)

It's just not right...

but you forget they were in love cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

You laugh but i read many years ago about a 28 year old woman marrying an 86 year old millionaire in England, his family were dead against it saying she was only marrying him for his money (and stealing their inheritance) When he died with 90 she hung herself.

The legal age of consent is 15.

The authorities in Thailand are mostly lenient towards the fathers of too young mothers if he marries the girl and takes care of her and the kid. In any case, that's a much better alternative for the child than having no money and a father in prison.

It's important to understand also that less than 50 years ago, it was very common for girls in rural Thailand to marry and get children around the age of 15, and the husband was very often much older than her, like between 25 and 40. There were many advantages to solutions like that, not least the fact that he was more mature and had the financial means to take care of his wife. Don't expect Thailand to suddenly follow our western norms in all areas. It's a sovereign country after all.

In fact I believe the LEGAL age of consent in Thailand is 18 .

In fact I believe the LEGAL age of consent in Thailand is 18 .

Not if it is with parental consent. Read the first post.

When i was a dad of youngsters i took from the library a book, 'Thirty-one brothers and sisters'. This was a story, true maybe, of a young girl living in bush Africa where top men had many wives and many children. So this girl truly did have so many siblings and she got along well with all the other kids and the mothers. That was a good life, supported by the entire community around her and welcoming her input into the daily life. She sought a more vigorous role than many girls so ended up taking a leading role in the village.

The western idea of romantic love serves some folks but not all. Insofar as solving the social problems between men and women, there is no single correct way.

The Thai girl, age 17, may indeed be doing the very best thing possible. Perhaps someone in the family needs medical treatment, now she can provide the cash.

I dont know where you get this morality isint right,girls and boys and old men have been getting married at that age for as long as i can remember,as stated above dont judge the man because of his age,he can be any nationality,if he thinks he is fit enough and more to the point if she thinks he is fit enough,then so be it.Its not always about the money,yes it does come into it as far as security is concerned,but they are human beings and so have the rights to decide for themselves.They just dident happen along and decided all of a sudden im sure.Why do people have to have our approval to do what they want to do?Live and let live,you will find your world is a better placemespecially when you dont pre judge.

Archived