Can a 70 year old marry a 17 year old? Famous lawyer gives his verdict on Facebook

webfact

Can a 70 year old marry a 17 year old? Famous lawyer gives his verdict on Facebook

17.jpg
Image: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- Following the news earlier this week that an ex cop had married a girl of 17 many Thais posed the question of the legality of the marriage.

A famous lawyer posting on a popular fan page has said "yes" a seventeen year old girl can marry according to Thai law. So long as the parents agree reported Daily News.

In this week's wedding pictures the parents are seated behind the new son in law and their daughter and gave their permission. A good dowry of cash and gold is seen in the pictures laid out in front of the couple.

Lawyer Wirat Wangpitiphanit said on the 'tanaiwirat.com' fan page that Thai law states that a 17 year old can marry so long as parents agree. In fact people as young as 15 can marry if the parents agree but the matter may need to be ratified by a court so it is clearly understood that both sides agree. Permission in such cases might be given when a pregnancy is involved.

Lawyer Wirat also remarked that in the case of a 17 year old marrying the husband would not have the right to claim the dowry back if the union ended in divorce.

Source: Daily News

tvn.png
-- 2016-06-02

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've actually seen worse. Not that long ago, I witnessed a German 92 year old living with an 18 year old here in Udon. If that wasn't bad enough, they had already been together for 2 years. I heard he died just shortly after, but I'm still baffled and speechless about it, like <deleted> ?

(Yeah, I'm not joking)

Another couple I met in the very same village is a 86 year old (also German) being married to a 24 year old. While it's less controversial legally, biologically and neurologically, I can't help using the exact same words again, <deleted> ?

It's just not right...

In fact people as young as 15 can marry if the parents agree but the matter may need to be ratified by a court so it is clearly understood that both sides agree. Permission in such cases might be given when a pregnancy is involved.

I would've though a lengthy jail sentence would be given if a pregnancy was involved in a 15 year old's marriage...

Following the news earlier this week that an ex cop had married a girl of 17 many Thais posed the question of the legality of the marriage.

He is an ex cop, so he should have a large bank account and at least one Ferrari

Knowing that, while he is having his mid afternoon nap, she will be off having fun with her gig.

I've actually seen worse. Not that long ago, I witnessed a German 92 year old living with an 18 year old here in Udon. If that wasn't bad enough, they had already been together for 2 years. I heard he died just shortly after, but I'm still baffled and speechless about it, like <deleted> ?

(Yeah, I'm not joking)

Another couple I met in the very same village is a 86 year old (also German) being married to a 24 year old. While it's less controversial legally, biologically and neurologically, I can't help using the exact same words again, <deleted> ?

It's just not right...

but you forget they were in love cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

In this week's wedding pictures the parents are seated behind the new son in law and their daughter and gave their permission. A good dowry of cash and gold is seen in the pictures laid out in front of the couple.

This statement says it all.

(Yeah, I'm not joking)

It's just not right...

Why is it not right?

It may be against your moral principles, and against what you have been taught in the west, but that doesn't say it isn't right here.

Marriage isn't only about sex........................wink.png

If this was the biggest, most serious problem in this world... it's not ideal of course, but girls could do much worse in this country and they do all the time. Maybe the alternatives weren't to shiny either? Forget your western morals. They don't fit here. This is Thailand, and he probably has money to take care of her. Don't judge the husband based on his age, judge him based on how he treats his wife.

Archived