Can a 70 year old marry a 17 year old? Famous lawyer gives his verdict on Facebook

webfact

A few U.S. states allow marriage at 15 with parental consent; many allow it at 16 (again, with parental consent). One state, New Hampshire, allows girls to marry as young as 13(!) - with both parental and court consent. ('Not sure what the circumstances would have to be - my guess is it actually doesn't happen often at all.) I checked a few other European countries - somewhat the same. And don't even start on sharia-approved marriages... So maybe westerners shouldn't be too quick to brand Thailand "backwards" over this.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few U.S. states allow marriage at 15 with parental consent; many allow it at 16 (again, with parental consent). One state, New Hampshire, allows girls to marry as young as 13(!) - with both parental and court consent. ('Not sure what the circumstances would have to be - my guess is it actually doesn't happen often at all.) I checked a few other European countries - somewhat the same. And don't even start on sharia-approved marriages... So maybe westerners shouldn't be too quick to brand Thailand "backwards" over this.

It's 16 in the UK.

I didn't see any posts going on about how correct First World values are, when Rupert Murdoch got married again at 84 years of age ( I think) to Jerry Hall the new wife( ex missus of Mick Jagger) was in her 50's.

BAYBOY.

If this was the biggest, most serious problem in this world... it's not ideal of course, but girls could do much worse in this country and they do all the time. Maybe the alternatives weren't to shiny either? Forget your western morals. They don't fit here. This is Thailand, and he probably has money to take care of her. Don't judge the husband based on his age, judge him based on how he treats his wife.

A "real" man would be protecting his granddaughter from predators who do this type of thing. "Real" parents would be teaching their juvenile daughters about this danger also.

Maybe legally its correct but morally, its far from correct.

Morality is not as one-dimensional as you seem to think. Nor is being a man or woman. Absolute thinking is inherently wrong (as many here have at least indirectly pointed out), regardless of topic. I have met at least a few persons on both sides of this particular age-divide that would pull this off in a more or less, dignified fashion. This is a time-tested and well-rounded survival strategy that has played no small part in cultural stability and for that matter, species propagation. These are anthropological facts. Now for a sociological fact: The biggest risk factor contributing to 'loss of face?' Passing judgment (or making decisions) on matters where it is not even remotely possible to understand all the factors in play. So my best unsolicited advice would be to not even try.

I've actually seen worse. Not that long ago, I witnessed a German 92 year old living with an 18 year old here in Udon. If that wasn't bad enough, they had already been together for 2 years. I heard he died just shortly after, but I'm still baffled and speechless about it, like <deleted> ?

(Yeah, I'm not joking)

Another couple I met in the very same village is a 86 year old (also German) being married to a 24 year old. While it's less controversial legally, biologically and neurologically, I can't help using the exact same words again, <deleted> ?

It's just not right...

Why is it not right?

It may be against your moral principles, and against what you have been taught in the west, but that doesn't say it isn't right here.

Marriage isn't only about sex........................wink.png

Regardless of whether if it's allowed here or not, if you are from the west Thai laws don't apply to you.

I've actually seen worse. Not that long ago, I witnessed a German 92 year old living with an 18 year old here in Udon. If that wasn't bad enough, they had already been together for 2 years. I heard he died just shortly after, but I'm still baffled and speechless about it, like <deleted> ?

(Yeah, I'm not joking)

Another couple I met in the very same village is a 86 year old (also German) being married to a 24 year old. While it's less controversial legally, biologically and neurologically, I can't help using the exact same words again, <deleted> ?

It's just not right...

Why is it not right?

It may be against your moral principles, and against what you have been taught in the west, but that doesn't say it isn't right here.

Regardless of whether if it's allowed here or not, if you are from the west Thai laws don't apply to you.

I would strongly disagree with that statement. If you are living here, Thai laws affect you everyday.

I knew a few years ago of an Englishman on Samui who married a 15 yo (parental consent granted). He unfortunately died a couple of years ago, but during the marriage their were no legal problems for him because he was British. He lived here and followed Thai law.

Mentioned the Englishman in case that was where you were coming from.....................wink.png

(Yeah, I'm not joking)

It's just not right...

Why is it not right?

In the mind of the 70yo, I would imagine sex is a MASSIVE part of this marriage.

There is nothing wrong with what's going on she is above 16 and 9 months and the law in Thailand allows it so what's the problem.

"she is above 16 and 9 months"------------ WHERE DID THAT SUDDENLY COME FROM????????? clap2.gifcheesy.gif

If the girl and her family are happy with a cash injection, and the guy gets some happy years in his twilight then I can see why it might be an equitable arrangement, and marriage being legally prudent in case there were ever some hanky panky..

• My concerns would be more about if the family abuse the position by using the girl for something she may not want.
  • Who is going to teach her how to manage a chunk of money that she's not used to handling (they do it for lottery winners afterall).

I know plenty of people here who know how to save a few baht by careful shopping for food/essentials. I know far fewer that can think ahead and plan their financial life after a 'lucky' break (if the parties in question on the family side are expecting her to disburse any gains).

You know how it is when you suddenly get friends when you suddenly get cash. What happens after it has all been wasted?

careful all those using the morality argument as you are invalidating the many expats big age difference relationships.

its highly unlikely the 17 y/o girl if from a middle class or above family would be marrying or in a relationship with that age difference.

really a business arrangement they call a marriage.

There is nothing wrong with what's going on she is above 16 and 9 months and the law in Thailand allows it so what's the problem.

"she is above 16 and 9 months"------------ WHERE DID THAT SUDDENLY COME FROM????????? clap2.gifcheesy.gif

He has gone decimal.

(Yeah, I'm not joking)

It's just not right...

Why is it not right?

(Yeah, I'm not joking)

It's just not right...

Why is it not right?

In the mind of the 70yo, I would imagine sex is a MASSIVE part of this marriage.

biggrin.png But not all.

Dishes to be cleaned, floors to be mopped. You know, like a proper wife..................tongue.png

Don't be offended ladies, only joking.

Edit: I think i better add, for clarity, that i have been married longer than this girl has been alive to a Thai. There is only 3 years difference between my wife & I.

So I don't really have a horse in this race but do believe that regardless of the age difference, or agreements made between the two parties, these type of marriages can (and do) work. If they are happy together, all the better.

Leave this people aone!!! Spare your energy to demonstrate and fight against truly illegal things!!!

Perhaps some of you "enraged" people out there yourselves look like hogs or imbeciles, but have married a beautiful looking partner of similar age - anyone condemning you in public for that? No? See...!!!!

Or would it be better if that girl gets involved with one of those useless Wai Loon f&(*^rs who rides a pimped up Click and deals Yaa Baa, to get her pregnant and then ditch her, before he moves to another province? Oh yeah - that would be much better than marrying an old bloke with money who might actually care about her, right?

My godmother was Muriel Dodge the wife of Horace Dodge Jr heir to the Dodge Car Co. in the US and became a well known billionaire. We were all shocked when at 85 he married a very young girl!

If this was the biggest, most serious problem in this world... it's not ideal of course, but girls could do much worse in this country and they do all the time. Maybe the alternatives weren't to shiny either? Forget your western morals. They don't fit here. This is Thailand, and he probably has money to take care of her. Don't judge the husband based on his age, judge him based on how he treats his wife.

A "real" man would be protecting his granddaughter from predators who do this type of thing. "Real" parents would be teaching their juvenile daughters about this danger also.

Maybe legally its correct but morally, its far from correct.

What "moral" are you talking about? There are tens of thousands of teenagers in this country who works as prostitutes, there are tens of thousands of teenage girls who are raped and abused by their handsome, young but oh so drunk husbands every single night, there are lots and lots of single mothers several years younger than this girl. What if that was the alternative? It is for many.

Yes, this man is too old for her and he'll probably pass away before she's thirty, but it's all out in the open and she has a local community around her for support. This is a third world country and third world stuff happens here. It would be nice if it was different, but it isn't and it won't be in a long time. Stop riding on your shiny white horses of western moral for a while and try to face reality.

Excellent reply ThaiVisa seems to throw up a load of posts about 'real men' or themes on 'grow a pair' - i.e. control.

We know nothing about this couple- this man may be a caring , gentle guy- who will take care of his young wife.

If some ancient rocker in the West has a much much younger partner- he is 'Jack the Lad' and nobody cares too much.

Good luck to them

I am sure 100% that the people who is against this marriage or joking about it are:

1.Young and don't realize,that soon,very soon also will also become old

2.Are old,but this happiness is not available for them...

Who are you 1 or 2?

(Yeah, I'm not joking)

It's just not right...

Why is it not right?

I would strongly disagree with that statement. If you are living here, Thai laws affect you everyday.

I knew a few years ago of an Englishman on Samui who married a 15 yo (parental consent granted). He unfortunately died a couple of years ago, but during the marriage their were no legal problems for him because he was British. He lived here and followed Thai law.

Mentioned the Englishman in case that was where you were coming from.....................wink.png

Regardless of where you live local and the laws from your country apply. If it's illegal to marry a 17 year old in your country you will face a jail time. Anecdotes about some Englishman do not apply.

Marriage is about compatibility, name one thing they are comparable with? A juvenile and a 70 year old old man are compatible about nothing. A juvenile child doesn't know any better and a 70 year old pervert definitely should. He's probably got grand children older than her.

(Yeah, I'm not joking)

It's just not right...

I saw an ad in a dating site, a girl advertising for anyone between 19 and 90. Although I'm somewhere in between, out of curiosity, I contacted the girl and asked her what she would do with me if I was 90 years old.

She said "Take really good care of you."

I have seen this around the place, especially in Asia. If a beautiful young girl "takes care" of you, for much better pay than she would earn in a rice field, in your dying years, brother and sisters, that looks a lot better than your average 'nursing' home, back where I come from. All I have to say.

Can I add a rather more personal note than I think most of the previous posters are able. I am 73. My wife is 31. I was divorced in 1998, lived alone and unhappy for 14 years. Met my wife in 2012, we lived together for 3 years, to assure compatibility, married March 2015. Both very happy. I give my wife a better life style than she has ever enjoyed before - two bedroom house, swimming pool, A/C's, hot water in bathroom. When I die, which is almost certain to be well before her, I shall leave her a rich (by Thai standards) woman. To those of you who criticise - I can only say "Mind your own damned business". Good luck to them both.

(Yeah, I'm not joking)

It's just not right...

Why is it not right?

Whatever it may look like to those holier-than-though moral warriors on TV - it's just none of their <deleted> business. Leave it to the persons involved, okay? If your moral standards were as high as you make them shine, you'd have refrained from blabbering your BS in the first place. Just sayin'...

Archived