Can a 70 year old marry a 17 year old? Famous lawyer gives his verdict on Facebook

webfact

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not recognized officially here but at village level, they have no difficulties with it. And neither does Buddhism ("Marriage is for 2 people who love each other."). Half the village turned up for ours and we laughed and sweated our way thru the morning as the old man who lead the ceremony mumbled his prayers and the old ladies kept on correcting him ... A marriage ceremony is about social recognition: a public declaration of commitment and acceptance by the community. We have that in spades here, and nowhere we go in Thailand from BKK to village do we encounter a problem.

Of all the things that are a bit backwards in Thailand, atleast this is one where they are ahead of alot of the world.

I've even noticed the acceptance in schools here with gay students and teachers, I can't imagine that sort of attitude prevailing in my school back in the day.

A seventy year old pervert buys a wife....happens everyday here...........

Pretty awesome... For older guys..

Should give some incentive for young people to get educated and a career job..

70 year old retired cop, snags himself a 17 year old girl..

And it's totally legal - as it is in many countries...

The guy should get a discount at Big C, if a crap load of seniors decide to visit the LOS..

Not recognized officially here but at village level, they have no difficulties with it. And neither does Buddhism ("Marriage is for 2 people who love each other."). Half the village turned up for ours and we laughed and sweated our way thru the morning as the old man who lead the ceremony mumbled his prayers and the old ladies kept on correcting him ... A marriage ceremony is about social recognition: a public declaration of commitment and acceptance by the community. We have that in spades here, and nowhere we go in Thailand from BKK to village do we encounter a problem.

Of all the things that are a bit backwards in Thailand, atleast this is one where they are ahead of alot of the world.

I've even noticed the acceptance in schools here with gay students and teachers, I can't imagine that sort of attitude prevailing in my school back in the day.

At least in most western countries gay people can be legally married and adopt children. Not the case in Thailand.

At least in most western countries gay people can be legally married and adopt children. Not the case in Thailand.

Not in my western country(Australia)

I can not say anything about it, because I am still far away two decades from the 70.
But in my silverback age, I can say that I do not find 17 years old girls as particularly refreshing.
Too young, too childish and not mature. But I do also like this Harold and Maude movie.
As long as no laws are violated here, and everything takes place in mutual agreement, that's ok.
The mental ripe can also be very different here. 15 years I find too low as unique.
In some countries, the age of consent is 18 years, in others it is 20 years.
So everyone should be happy in his own way, as long as he no hurts others.

I'd think having a 70 year old husband is an advantage in Thailand, less likely the groom will knock up the wife and do a runner leaving her all alone to take care of the child.

Win Win here even if it is distasteful to TV board members. Heck, this guy may die in a couple decades leaving a fairly young widow with his estate, another win for her.

TIT so forget any pretence about the law, money trumps everything.

n

TIT? So it wouldn't happen in the civilized west?

Google a bloke called Hugh Hefner, he is a lot older than this young Thai bloke and does three (white girls) at a time. Doesn't pay sinsot though.

TIT

Yes Hefner marries women much younger than himself but they are older than this 17 year old and know what they're doing only too well.

Does this 17 year old or has she been ' encouraged ', and I'm being polite, by her parents ? What's the bet the man contacted mum and dad and worked everything out before the girl was even included ?

No old Hugh takes naked photos of 16 year olds ( with mums permission) and publishes them in an American stickmag, nice of you to defend the farang while attacking the Thai bloke.

You know more about Hefner that I do. I'm not defending or attacking just point out what I see and think but that's not suiting your agenda.

Does not bother me at all.

During Einstein's life he was asked many times: What is Genius?...What does Genius mean??

Einstein never gave an answer.

When he was 75 years old, his young grandson found Einstein in bed with the 19 year old house maid

The surprised grandson said: Grandfather, what is this?

Einstein looked up and answered: Young man, "this" Is genius.

Cheers

n

Google a bloke called Hugh Hefner, he is a lot older than this young Thai bloke and does three (white girls) at a time. Doesn't pay sinsot though.

TIT

Yes Hefner marries women much younger than himself but they are older than this 17 year old and know what they're doing only too well.

Does this 17 year old or has she been ' encouraged ', and I'm being polite, by her parents ? What's the bet the man contacted mum and dad and worked everything out before the girl was even included ?

No old Hugh takes naked photos of 16 year olds ( with mums permission) and publishes them in an American stickmag, nice of you to defend the farang while attacking the Thai bloke.

You know more about Hefner that I do. I'm not defending or attacking just point out what I see and think but that's not suiting your agenda.

Fair enough. But I think your agenda is TIT as you said in your original post. I was simply pointing out it isn't a only Thai thing.

TIUSA

well done to this young lady i say, in a few years she will be a rich lady, as said before Thai values are different to western values so dont come on here spouting off, ok every bar girl i know is after the same thing,to meet a guy to "take care".

n

TIT

Fair enough. But I think your agenda is TIT as you said in your original post. I was simply pointing out it isn't a only Thai thing.

TIUSA

Good, looks like we can meet halfway on this.

Strange thing age. A 16 year old boy in a country where the legal age is 16 caught having sex with a 15 year old girl would be labelled pedophile and might end up in prison. Yet a 70 year old with a 17 year old is OK.

Countries that have an age difference law where a couple cannot marry if age difference is greater than say 20 years seem the best to me. Or perhaps where a stable relationship of greater than 5 (legal) years exists.

I've actually seen worse. Not that long ago, I witnessed a German 92 year old living with an 18 year old here in Udon. If that wasn't bad enough, they had already been together for 2 years. I heard he died just shortly after, but I'm still baffled and speechless about it, like <deleted> ?

(Yeah, I'm not joking)

Another couple I met in the very same village is a 86 year old (also German) being married to a 24 year old. While it's less controversial legally, biologically and neurologically, I can't help using the exact same words again, <deleted> ?

It's just not right...

of course you are not joking. you are filled with angry envy laugh.png

Can I add a rather more personal note than I think most of the previous posters are able. I am 73. My wife is 31. I was divorced in 1998, lived alone and unhappy for 14 years. Met my wife in 2012, we lived together for 3 years, to assure compatibility, married March 2015. Both very happy. I give my wife a better life style than she has ever enjoyed before - two bedroom house, swimming pool, A/C's, hot water in bathroom. When I die, which is almost certain to be well before her, I shall leave her a rich (by Thai standards) woman. To those of you who criticise - I can only say "Mind your own damned business". Good luck to them both.

When you die, I'm pretty sure she'll be in no rush to look for some bloke in his 70's, but probably a Thai bloke around her age.

Wombat says it all. He bought his wife.

Some think this is ok.Personally I find it repulsive.

i'm sure Wombat cares a flying what you find repulsive gigglem.gif

Does sound wrong, but at the end of the day, who cares, as long as people are happy and nobody is getting hurt. These old boys just want to be looked after.

I understand what you are saying but wonder how much say the girl had in this arrangement or is she only doing what her parents have told her must do especially if, and it's more than likely, they are benefiting ?

I'm 156 and my gf is 63.....

------

we all mature differently, minds evolve at a different level i'm sure.......my 2 cents is they are still kids until mid-20's......

we all know idiots who are 21 and act like children with very limited ability to make good decisions. Of course, that can happen at any age.....

17 should be criminal in every country, but that's just me.....you need to draw the line somewhere. i would put drinking and marriage at 25, smoking at 100, but the problem is fighting for your country. Unfortunately, kids are fit at 18 and easily brainwashed to die for a cause.

ah...

In fact people as young as 15 can marry if the parents agree but the matter may need to be ratified by a court so it is clearly understood that both sides agree. Permission in such cases might be given when a pregnancy is involved.

I would've though a lengthy jail sentence would be given if a pregnancy was involved in a 15 year old's marriage...

Thai law allows a male rapist to escape any charges if he marries his victim.

Believe it or not when this was in the news a few years some law Professors from Thammasat publicly supported said law

Go figure !

..well..happens everywhere on every continent..for eg....an acquaintance of mine (from a western country) revealed how he had the hots for a fifteen year old when he was twenty-eight..obviously was doing her..however he says they had to wait until she was of legal age to marry...IMO he was lucky not to have been charged with UCK...so what you see and read is a far cry from the truth.

Can I add a rather more personal note than I think most of the previous posters are able. I am 73. My wife is 31. I was divorced in 1998, lived alone and unhappy for 14 years. Met my wife in 2012, we lived together for 3 years, to assure compatibility, married March 2015. Both very happy. I give my wife a better life style than she has ever enjoyed before - two bedroom house, swimming pool, A/C's, hot water in bathroom. When I die, which is almost certain to be well before her, I shall leave her a rich (by Thai standards) woman. To those of you who criticise - I can only say "Mind your own damned business". Good luck to them both.

..that's fine I agree when your older and the woman is of mature age..but its more about what the age difference is when they started the relationship ..that is the burning and legal question and just doesn't sit well with people of any culture.

Wife's just told me that it's in the Thai media that they have now split up after only one week.

She mentioned something about the girl having a new boyfriend. blink.png

How old is he? 103 ?

Wife's just told me that it's in the Thai media that they have now split up after only one week.

She mentioned something about the girl having a new boyfriend. blink.png

How old is he? 103 ?

Keeping the non-refundable dowry of course.

I've actually seen worse. Not that long ago, I witnessed a German 92 year old living with an 18 year old here in Udon. If that wasn't bad enough, they had already been together for 2 years. I heard he died just shortly after, but I'm still baffled and speechless about it, like <deleted> ?

(Yeah, I'm not joking)

Another couple I met in the very same village is a 86 year old (also German) being married to a 24 year old. While it's less controversial legally, biologically and neurologically, I can't help using the exact same words again, <deleted> ?

It's just not right...

Money walks - money talks.

If everybody get his fare share of money and affection and above 16, wink.pngcoffee1.gif

In fact people as young as 15 can marry if the parents agree but the matter may need to be ratified by a court so it is clearly understood that both sides agree. Permission in such cases might be given when a pregnancy is involved.

I would've though a lengthy jail sentence would be given if a pregnancy was involved in a 15 year old's marriage...

Legal definition of marriage includes the terms living together as husband and wife, which is legalese for having licenced sex which can in turn lead to pregnancy so if the marriage is legal, then the pregnancy could not be illegal (or rather the act that led to the pregnancy..

Having said that, a marriage involving a 15 year old, would, I imagine, only be legal if both parties were very young and both sets of parents were in agreement.

Legal age of consent here is apparently complicated;

The age of consent in Thailand is 15 (with the below caveat) as specified by article 279 of the Thai Criminal Code. The current legislation applies to all regardless of gender or sexual orientation.

However,parts of the Prevention and Suppression of Prostitution Act, which disallow any sexual contact with prostitutes under the age of 18, are widely interpreted by some local authorities to cover sexual acts classed as "obscenity for personal gratification". Also, from the Penal Code Amendment Actof 1997 Section 283bis, having sex with an adolescent under 18 is a compoundable offense even with the consent of that person. The parent or the adolescent may file charges against the other side if they later regrets their own action. This ostensibly makes the Thai unfettered age of consent 18.Source Wikipedia.

I would regard the case in the OP to be an informal contract between the girl and the husband where she provides companionship care and (possibly) sexual services in exchange for financial security. Hopefully both parties are comfortable with it in which case the sense of affront visible in some posts is unnecessary and possibly nothing other than jealousy.

When i first moved here i used to scoff in discust too - then i grew up!
Fact is ALL relationships are Give & Take - The guy benefits from a loving easy on the eye girl and she benefits in return from security and a future she can depend on.

Now imagine your getting old and all you want to do is relive your youth? and perhaps not be stuck with some old battle axe or a miserable old girl with lots of baggage.

In return the young 17 year old can be guaranteed assets, a future (probably not with him forever though) and is it so bad? he may be more patient, noble and more interesting than a 17 year old guy, he may even be more trustworthy.

Ah you see... the mind of a Westerner is quite narrow when compared to Thais...
Happiness prevails here... regardless of judgement - i have no problem with that anymore...

When i first moved here i used to scoff in discust too - then i grew up!

Fact is ALL relationships are Give & Take - The guy benefits from a loving easy on the eye girl and she benefits in return from security and a future she can depend on.

Now imagine your getting old and all you want to do is relive your youth? and perhaps not be stuck with some old battle axe or a miserable old girl with lots of baggage.

In return the young 17 year old can be guaranteed assets, a future (probably not with him forever though) and is it so bad? he may be more patient, noble and more interesting than a 17 year old guy, he may even be more trustworthy.

Ah you see... the mind of a Westerner is quite narrow when compared to Thais...

Happiness prevails here... regardless of judgement - i have no problem with that anymore...

Trust me... you didn't grow up.

Archived