Can a 70 year old marry a 17 year old? Famous lawyer gives his verdict on Facebook

webfact

I am about to turn 67. My partner is about to turn 27. We've been together 4 years and happily married for 3. He was poor and comes from a very poor, mostly illiterate Isaan family. I am, by Thai standards, "rich".

Hope that's OK with everyone.

I am probably classed as one of the "moral crusaders" but there is a world of difference between a 23 year old and 17 year old.....something just sticks in the craw about that.

And the fact that despite being common in Thailand, the sin sot feels like a purchase(though I think that with all marriages) of a 17 year old girl.

And my view is probably warped by being a father and not wanting my daughter to marry until she is atleast 45

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am about to turn 67. My partner is about to turn 27. We've been together 4 years and happily married for 3. He was poor and comes from a very poor, mostly illiterate Isaan family. I am, by Thai standards, "rich".

You obviously don't care what people think.

Would you say your relationship is a business one or one of love?

It depends where you met.

Also, what would your kids, nephews etc say?

You should have grown up by now.

You obviously don't care what people think.

Would you say your relationship is a business one or one of love?

Well we love each other. We do everything together, we travel together, we're currently living on the family farm with other adults & 4 children while our 2-storey house 30 minutes drive away is under construction, we provide for the children's education and are developing the farm away from rice & cassava so that life there is more sustainable for the long-term ... Does my money play a role in all that? No doubt, it helps to smooth the way but he's very clear that he would love me even without it ...

TIT so forget any pretence about the law, money trumps everything.

n

TIT? So it wouldn't happen in the civilized west?

Google a bloke called Hugh Hefner, he is a lot older than this young Thai bloke and does three (white girls) at a time. Doesn't pay sinsot though.

TIT

Yes Hefner marries women much younger than himself but they are older than this 17 year old and know what they're doing only too well.

Does this 17 year old or has she been ' encouraged ', and I'm being polite, by her parents ? What's the bet the man contacted mum and dad and worked everything out before the girl was even included ?

No old Hugh takes naked photos of 16 year olds ( with mums permission) and publishes them in an American stickmag, nice of you to defend the farang while attacking the Thai bloke.

I think you'll find he doesn't anymore.

I've actually seen worse. Not that long ago, I witnessed a German 92 year old living with an 18 year old here in Udon. If that wasn't bad enough, they had already been together for 2 years. I heard he died just shortly after, but I'm still baffled and speechless about it, like <deleted> ?

(Yeah, I'm not joking)

Another couple I met in the very same village is a 86 year old (also German) being married to a 24 year old. While it's less controversial legally, biologically and neurologically, I can't help using the exact same words again, <deleted> ?

It's just not right...

Why is it not right?

It may be against your moral principles, and against what you have been taught in the west, but that doesn't say it isn't right here.

Marriage isn't only about sex........................wink.png

It's a complete myth that this kind of marriage is acceptable in Thai society, or that huge age gaps are the norm. The attitude of Thai society towards large age gaps very much mirrors that of the west. I'm not ageist, but this is a common thing I hear westerners say and it's simply not true. People have exactly the same prejudices towards big age gaps here as they do back home, it's just that most foreigners don't speak the language and therefore don't hear Thai people's opinions. Thai people may appear less judgmental because most tend not to get into serious debates about such things , but the off the cuff comments among friends are exactly the same as you hear back home. The large majority of Thais marry someone of their own age of thereabouts (within 5 years of their age), as they do in the west.

We met in BKK in a gay bar (the relevance of which to your view of the matter is not entirely obvious to me).

My family in NZ & Oz, and all friends there, are fine with it. Some attended the marriage ceremony in Surin 3 years ago, all have welcomed my partner into the family & friendships.

We met in BKK in a gay bar (the relevance of which to your view of the matter is not entirely obvious to me).

My family in NZ & Oz, and all friends there, are fine with it. Some attended the marriage ceremony in Surin 3 years ago, all have welcomed my partner into the family & friendships.

Is gay marriage legal here? It isn't back home(Australia)....but should be. It's amazing how backwards Australia are in that respect.

Just asking out of curiosity, probably could have googled it but I am on here anyway.

I've actually seen worse. Not that long ago, I witnessed a German 92 year old living with an 18 year old here in Udon. If that wasn't bad enough, they had already been together for 2 years. I heard he died just shortly after, but I'm still baffled and speechless about it, like <deleted> ?

(Yeah, I'm not joking)

Another couple I met in the very same village is a 86 year old (also German) being married to a 24 year old. While it's less controversial legally, biologically and neurologically, I can't help using the exact same words again, <deleted> ?

It's just not right...

Maybe she was 'caring' for him, lots of older people have a paid carer.

She was obviously getting something from him and vice versa

We weren't a party to what happened behind closed doors, it could all be very innocent

I don't understand why people don't mind their own business

Is gay marriage legal here? It isn't back home(Australia)....but should be. It's amazing how backwards Australia are in that respect.

Just asking out of curiosity, probably could have googled it but I am on here anyway.

Not recognized officially here but at village level, they have no difficulties with it. And neither does Buddhism ("Marriage is for 2 people who love each other."). Half the village turned up for ours and we laughed and sweated our way thru the morning as the old man who lead the ceremony mumbled his prayers and the old ladies kept on correcting him ... A marriage ceremony is about social recognition: a public declaration of commitment and acceptance by the community. We have that in spades here, and nowhere we go in Thailand from BKK to village do we encounter a problem.

I sincerely wish you all the best. But take care as in 30 years of living here I have heard of and seen hundreds of stories where it all ends up sour.

The relevance wasn't so much if it was a gay bar but whether it was one where you pay for sex.

BTW, a tell tale sign would be if you were asked for sin sot(dowry) or not as this would be a ridiculous thing to ask for ebtween same sex couples.

70 year old marrying a 17 year old?

Reminds me of when Peter Sellers married Britt Eckland. He had a heart attack shortly afterwards.

He britt off more than he could screw!

I'll be off, Taxi's waiting...

Archived