New Brexit polls suggest shift in favour of leaving the EU

webfact

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John Major and Douglas Hurd, Major's successor as Foreign Secretary, persuaded Margaret Thatcher to support British entry to the Exchange Rate Mechanism, a move which she had resisted for many years. ( incidentally, Lamont was at the helm).

We all know how well that turned out.

So should we view this mans Judgement as sound, a move that cost the UK billions of pounds.

Does it make you feel any better if I tell you The Euro was a bad idea without harmonising the test of the economies?

You want to trash people because of a single error ( the issue was driven by Soros BTW)

We lost a few billion? Peanuts. Our GDP is about 2,000 billion. Get real.

The Lamont comment was inserted by me in the wrong place. Sorry

My point wasn't really about the ERM (as bad as it was) but about John Majors poor judgement on the issue. I doubt anyone can sensibly call billions of pounds peanuts, 10 billion annually "peanuts" facepalm.gif

Also he is "the kettle calling the pot black" the man has no credibility.

PS. please don't add comments to my posts it looks like I have said something I did not.

I apologised for the inserted comment. I guess you can not accept someone making an error. What do you want Hari Kari??

10 Billion once. And that was down to Lamont gambling. John Major was OK. Certainly honourable unlike today's shower.

Kindly show us where Major was deceitful or dishonest?

I said John Major has no credibility over his negligent advice to Margaret Thatcher in persuading her to join the ERM, also his castigation over Brexit exaggerations when he is supporting Remain the founders of project fear.

You are twisting and redirecting asking about deceit and dishonesty.

The 10 billion annually comment was aimed at our annual payment, not the one off losses in the ERM.

As regards your apology, thank you, although you could have removed your comment during your edit, but you chose to leave it, hence my comment on the matter.

sterlings down around 2% to the baht over the last week.

I'm more interested to see what happens to the euro in relation to sterling if a Brexit happens

Hardly moved at all. Will it loose some ground between now and the referendum,that I would't be surprised at all. As it's in the interest of certain people/ governments to make sure it does. Then after the referendum,which ever side wins,watch it revert to market forces.

Oddly, if not bizarrely to some, Sterling vs THB is not the way global markets measure the strength of GBP!!!

"The pound dropped to a three-week low after polls showed more Britons favored quitting the European Union, reviving concern the June 23 referendum will throw global markets into turmoil and undermine confidence in the 28-nation trading bloc. Sterling fell against all of its developed-market peers after surveys showed a lead for the ‘Leave’ campaign. While the pound pared its slide in London trading, a gauge of anticipated swings against the dollar in the next month surged to a 7 1/2-year high".

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2016-06-06/sterling-to-stay-very-nervous-into-brexit-vote-chaigneau

I'm more interested to see what happens to the euro in relation to sterling if a Brexit happens

Hardly moved at all. Will it loose some ground between now and the referendum,that I would't be surprised at all. As it's in the interest of certain people/ governments to make sure it does. Then after the referendum,which ever side wins,watch it revert to market forces.

You already know that Sterling weakness is based on the fear of Brexit hence it would be expected to return to previous levels in the event Brexit doesn't win. Or are you just laying the ground work here for your eventual defeat and your cover story about how it was all a conspiracy, if so that's truly truly pathetic!

How do "certain people" do that NB, do they start selling loads and loads of Pounds so that it will weaken?

How do "certain people" do that NB?

Quite simple,sell sterling. And no I'm not on about Joe Bloggs. Was't there a scandal a couple of years ago regarding banks fixing the exchange rate,I believe Barclays were involved, cost them a packet by the way. Similar countries have been known to help support other countries currencies, while on other occasions for political reasons they will do the opposite.

You already know that Sterling weakness is based on the fear of Brexit hence it would be expected to return to previous levels in the event Brexit doesn't win. Or are you just laying the ground work here for your eventual defeat and your cover story about how it was all a conspiracy, if so that's truly truly pathetic!

How do "certain people" do that NB, do they start selling loads and loads of Pounds so that it will weaken?

I think it is dangerous to look at exchange rate movements as a barometer of leave/remain.

The currency (and other) markets are awash with speculators and volatility/uncertainty is what they want to see. George Soros makes bugger all from a flat market.

Movements either way will be exacerbated by such actions and I think Nontabury is right in saying that it will take some time to return to 'normal' market forces. In the short-term it is likely to be exaggerated largely as a result of that speculation.

How do "certain people" do that NB?

Quite simple,sell sterling. And no I'm not on about Joe Bloggs. Was't there a scandal a couple of years ago regarding banks fixing the exchange rate,I believe Barclays were involved, cost them a packet by the way. Similar countries have been known to help support other countries currencies, while on other occasions for political reasons they will do the opposite.

Using your logic, if Brexit wins, surely you can just buy those Pounds back and and its value will rise back to the pre-vote levels, correct?

I think it is dangerous to look at exchange rate movements as a barometer of leave/remain.

The currency (and other) markets are awash with speculators and volatility/uncertainty is what they want to see. George Soros makes bugger all from a flat market.

Movements either way will be exacerbated by such actions and I think Nontabury is right in saying that it will take some time to return to 'normal' market forces. In the short-term it is likely to be exaggerated largely as a result of that speculation.

We're actually not looking at exchange rates, we're talking about the cost to insure the Pound against volatility, a rate which has just jumped hugely.

For those unsure what this is all about: currencies have a typical buy and sell profile which usually offers some stability on the markets. When that stability is maintained, i.e. the currency is being bought and sold in "normal" volumes, the cost to insure against a significant fluctuation in its value is low. But when the volume of buy and sell trades increases significantly the future value of that currency becomes uncertain hence the cost to insure against volatility increase. What's happening currently is some players are selling the Pound in advance of the EU vote in order to reduce their risk - others are taking positions in the belief that the value will rise when the Remain camp wins and the Pound rises, one side or the other will loose of course but that's what the volatility issue is all about.

We're actually not looking at exchange rates, we're talking about the cost to insure the Pound against volatility, a rate which has just jumped hugely.

For those unsure what this is all about: currencies have a typical buy and sell profile which usually offers some stability on the markets. When that stability is maintained, i.e. the currency is being bought and sold in "normal" volumes, the cost to insure against a significant fluctuation in its value is low. But when the volume of buy and sell trades increases significantly the future value of that currency becomes uncertain hence the cost to insure against volatility increase. What's happening currently is some players are selling the Pound in advance of the EU vote in order to reduce their risk - others are taking positions in the belief that the value will rise when the Remain camp wins and the Pound rises, one side or the other will loose of course but that's what the volatility issue is all about.

Yes, sorry, I wasn't keeping up.

A premium or discount on a forward rate is simply a view of where any given currency will sit at a given future date. Again, a 'flat' market provides genuine trade with a degree of stability and keeps any premium to a minimum. Understandably, an event such as the referendum gives an opportunity to voice the wildest of outcomes - either way. As you rightly say, for ever winner there is a loser.

I would imagine that the cost to 'insure' Sterling will rise in direct proportion to William Hill's falling odds on a remain vote. Mind you 4/1 on to 3/1 on would still not encourage me to match Nigel's wager of GBP 1,000 !!

John Major , a failed MP a failed politician , like Blair ,the more he tells us to stay the more i think we should leave .

So, just for our amusement, please tell us who you rate? Corbyn? Thatcher? Go on, give as a laugh! How many terms did Major win? Blair? Your criteria for success must be pretty demanding.

Oh! Wait a minute, they're both pro Remain! That's why they are failures ( unlike Redwood and Gove - he's a bit odd)

Both Blair nor major are fit to even wipe Thatchers bum , they are not good enough , i wont even bother listing what they did to Britain as we all know , so just keep on telling yourself how wonderful they were , but your in a very small club and it gets smaller as time goes on .

Yes, sorry, I wasn't keeping up.

A premium or discount on a forward rate is simply a view of where any given currency will sit at a given future date. Again, a 'flat' market provides genuine trade with a degree of stability and keeps any premium to a minimum. Understandably, an event such as the referendum gives an opportunity to voice the wildest of outcomes - either way. As you rightly say, for ever winner there is a loser.

I would imagine that the cost to 'insure' Sterling will rise in direct proportion to William Hill's falling odds on a remain vote. Mind you 4/1 on to 3/1 on would still not encourage me to match Nigel's wager of GBP 1,000 !!

A good point, I just checked and Brexit is now 2/1 at William Hill so yes, there is a relationship. http://sports.williamhill.com/bet/en-gb/betting/e/3975688/What+Will+Be+The+Outcome+Of+The+UK+EU+Membership+Referendum+Be%3F.html

...based on the assumption that BREXIT implies a return to 'normal', which is the pie in the sky spin sold by the BREXITeers.

VAT is added to most repairs and the purchase of secondhand goods, as well as nearly everything else actually. In comparison purchase tax only applies to new goods thus allowing people on lower incomes or tighter budgets to make at least a tax saving by repairing or buying secondhand, much more environmentally friendly too. The burden of collecting VAT falls to the individual company or sole trader and for a small business in particular, this can be a costly and unrewarded chore. Add in an "in depth inspection" and/or accountancy fee and the costs rise considerably. A very unfair way of taxation and collection, designed and insisted on by the EU and before it by the EEC.

The EU is, in my opinion, an ever growing monster allowing new members that can offer little or no benefit to the union and attempting to control and manipulate the everyday lives of the common people. I personally prefer a democratic system where at least the majority of people make a choice as to who calls the shots. Not so in the EU. I think I prefer not to support bankrupt states such as the Greek shambles. I also would prefer anyone coming to the benefit rich UK to obtain a visa and prove that they can financially support themselves, amongst other things. From the basics of an economic community to the monstrous political, law making, cash hungry thing that is now called the EU, for me at least, is a step (several steps) too far.

And while we are at it .... Does football really need FIFA?

When the UK joined the EEC in 1973 they were already using VAT so it is not surprising the UK had fall in line. The EEC did not insist on VAT, the UK asked to join the EEC.

As for being unfair, that is a matter of opinion. There is no dispute the collection process is cumbersome but it was designed that way to reduce tax evasion. Sales tax is more open to abuse than VAT and should a post brexit government revert to a sales tax then it is highly likely that income tax would rise to offset the loss in revenue from tax evasion, that is what I would call unfair.

VAT is insisted upon by the EU, a state cannot be a member if they don't charge VAT (EU rules). They also set the parameters min /max of taxation to be charged. Not much loss in revenue because no EU membership will need to be paid, less spongers, less handouts, less freeloading in the medical system and the possibility of cheaper imports/ better exports (if anything can be found to actually export). Of course I agree that it's all an unknown quantity and perhaps it's the fear or uncertainty of the unknown that provokes so much thought and discussion on the brexit. For me though ... I can't leave quickly enough.

A distorted viewpoint obviously biased to your views on the EU.

Conditions of membership are exactly that, it doesn't matter which club you want to join.

And while we are at it .... Does football really need FIFA?

When the UK joined the EEC in 1973 they were already using VAT so it is not surprising the UK had fall in line. The EEC did not insist on VAT, the UK asked to join the EEC.

As for being unfair, that is a matter of opinion. There is no dispute the collection process is cumbersome but it was designed that way to reduce tax evasion. Sales tax is more open to abuse than VAT and should a post brexit government revert to a sales tax then it is highly likely that income tax would rise to offset the loss in revenue from tax evasion, that is what I would call unfair.

VAT is insisted upon by the EU, a state cannot be a member if they don't charge VAT (EU rules). They also set the parameters min /max of taxation to be charged. Not much loss in revenue because no EU membership will need to be paid, less spongers, less handouts, less freeloading in the medical system and the possibility of cheaper imports/ better exports (if anything can be found to actually export). Of course I agree that it's all an unknown quantity and perhaps it's the fear or uncertainty of the unknown that provokes so much thought and discussion on the brexit. For me though ... I can't leave quickly enough.

Conditions of membership are exactly that, it doesn't matter which club you want to join.

It matters very much when the those conditions of membership are arbitrarily changed.

I know you understand this from your constant attacks on the authorities over UK pensions being frozen for expats - not something you signed up for when you started paying NIC's and something you had no voice in changing.

Of course there are those that think it has nothing to do with the rest of the world.

"In her speech the Fed chair said: "A UK vote to exit the European Union could have significant economic repercussions."

She stressed that investors' "appetite for risk" could change quickly and that a UK exit from the EU would be likely to affect market sentiment.

Ms Yellen's remarks echo comments from other economists about the impact of a Brexit on the US economy."

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36463819

John Major , a failed MP a failed politician , like Blair ,the more he tells us to stay the more i think we should leave .

So, just for our amusement, please tell us who you rate? Corbyn? Thatcher? Go on, give as a laugh! How many terms did Major win? Blair? Your criteria for success must be pretty demanding.

Oh! Wait a minute, they're both pro Remain! That's why they are failures ( unlike Redwood and Gove - he's a bit odd)

Both Blair nor major are fit to even wipe Thatchers bum , they are not good enough , i wont even bother listing what they did to Britain as we all know , so just keep on telling yourself how wonderful they were , but your in a very small club and it gets smaller as time goes on .

"Both Blair nor major"

Did what to Britain?

Thatcher destroyed British society and cut manufacturing from 25% of GDP to 10%

I did not say that either Major or Blair were wonderful. But they did less damage than Thatcher. (Who's dead, in case you hadn't noticed).

You sir, are so ignorant that you must be a Brexiteer!

And your posts are not distorted by bias ?

Of course they are - mine certainly are.

It is pointless to any debate to simply accuse 'the other side' of bias - that is inherent in any discussion.

I can respect an opposing view when it is presented sensibly and rationally. Suggesting that Britain cannot stand its own (which it will not be doing anyway) without the EU is neither.

I am very happy to say that being part of the EEC has brought some benefits to the UK. It is not all negative. However, the club has changed, and the rules with it, making it a club I no longer wish to be a member of.

It matters very much when the those conditions of membership are arbitrarily changed.

I know you understand this from your constant attacks on the authorities over UK pensions being frozen for expats - not something you signed up for when you started paying NIC's and something you had no voice in changing.

You are absolutely right. Why would anyone want to be at the mercy of the UK government that changes things on a whim.

The EU has done more for the British public than the UK ever did. EU funding may come at a cost but do you really think that same funding would come from the UK government voluntarily.

). They also set the parameters min /max of taxation to be charged. Not much loss in revenue because no EU membership will need to be paid, less spongers, less handouts, less freeloading in the medical system and the possibility of cheaper imports/ better exports (if anything can be found to actually export). Of course I agree that it's all an unknown quantity and perhaps it's the fear or uncertainty of the unknown that provokes so much thought and discussion on the brexit. For me though ... I can't leave quickly enough.

You are absolutely right. Why would anyone want to be at the mercy of the UK government that changes things on a whim.

The EU has done more for the British public than the UK ever did. EU funding may come at a cost but do you really think that same funding would come from the UK government voluntarily.

I would rather (albeit nervously) be at the mercy of a whimsical UK government than an undemocratic federal Europe.

Keep an eye on those bookies odds Sandy - they moving uncomfortably against Cameron and his propaganda machine:-

Euro Referendum Betting
2/5
UK To Vote To Remain In The EU
2/1
UK To Vote To Leave The

I still think one side is going to deliver a real curved ball in the next couple of weeks that could be a vote swinger.

REMAIN certainly need to do more to convince the bookies.

"Both Blair nor major"

Did what to Britain?

I did not say that either Major or Blair were wonderful. But they did less damage than Thatcher. (Who's dead, in case you hadn't noticed).

Well if i am so ignorant ,i have lots of people just like me as i get lots of likes , funny ,not seen one like on any of your posts , you must be the only bright one in the village or maybe the only one in the village , and we all know what most villages have one of

"Both Blair nor major"

Did what to Britain?

Well if i am so ignorant ,i have lots of people just like me as i get lots of likes , funny ,not seen one like on any of your posts , you must be the only bright one in the village or maybe the only one in the village , and we all know what most villages have one of

I wish you lots of likes! There are indeed many like you!

Frankly I don't give a damn.

"Both Blair nor major"

Did what to Britain?

Oh but you do ,or you wouldnt be posting so often ,

Much as I dislike the cost and corruption of the EU, I agree with Sandyf above - the EU has done far more for workers' rights than any Brit. govt. would ever have allowed, left to their own devices sad.png .

Mr Dastardly, for me, your key point is that you see this as a matter of BALANCE. There are pros and cons. I have noticed you weighing them. It doesn't matter so much which side gets your vote. The key thing is that you have considered the points carefully.

For me, I know there is a democratic deficit, there is huge wastage. I am also worried about the high number of migrants into the UK. But on BALANCE I consider it's still better to be inside the tent. The economic argument is unassailable. I'm also conscious of the historical contribution to European peace. If only more would weigh the pros and cons and not be swayed by sound bites!

"Both Blair nor major"

Did what to Britain?

Hilarious! You really don't get it do you?

I really don't care what your opinion is. Really!

I do care what happens though

It saddens and angers me that there are so many, uninformed, poorly educated fools holding fort. It's a kind of sick voyeurism really. I'm just aghast!

"Both Blair nor major"

Did what to Britain?

Hilarious! You really don't get it do you?

I really don't care what your opinion is. Really!

I do care what happens though

It saddens and angers me that there are so many, uninformed, poorly educated fools holding fort. It's a kind of sick voyeurism really. I'm just aghast!

I'm 99% sure that you are an agent provocateur.

The rude, arrogant posts make no sense otherwise.

Some should remember that the UK is only free because others came to their aid.

They couldn't do it alone then and they cannot do it alone now.

Now why are you and the remain camp so insistent on knocking the UK.

What's made you think this way?

post-78707-0-74813900-1465277036_thumb.j

Archived