New Brexit polls suggest shift in favour of leaving the EU

webfact

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This American was talking to the American public, not the British public. The outcome has global implications but according to the Brexit camp it is none of their business.

"The Fed may need to defer a rate hike until after its June meeting, Kaplan suggested at an event at Boston College, because Britain's vote on whether to leave the European Union, taking place a week after the Fed meets, has the potential to spark a currency selloff and other unanticipated consequences."
http://uk.reuters.com/article/us-usa-fed-kaplan-rates-idUSKCN0YO2BH

Poster Neversure was talking to us, not to the American public!

I agree however there is a potential global impact as a result of Brexit which makes his view that we should leave even more peculiar.

Where do you get that from? They plan to defer a rate rise as a contingency plan, not that they support brexit. Nearly all the Fed governors as well as Obama have voiced in favour of remain, not something the Brexiteers want to hear.
Invariably a rise in US interest rates does not bode well for the pound, combined with a brexit vote the effect would be very significant and potential turmoil in the markets.

Why do we want to hear Obama or Fed Governors bumping their lips? Whether Exit or Remain is ain't got nowt to do with them

Exactly the point. The implications are global so it has everything to do with them.
This is one of the fundamental problems, the leave campaign cannot see beyond the UK borders.

That is one of the problems Sandy "we don't have any borders"

Where do you get that from? They plan to defer a rate rise as a contingency plan, not that they support brexit. Nearly all the Fed governors as well as Obama have voiced in favour of remain, not something the Brexiteers want to hear.

Poster Neversure was talking to us, not to the American public!

I agree however there is a potential global impact as a result of Brexit which makes his view that we should leave even more peculiar.

Invariably a rise in US interest rates does not bode well for the pound, combined with a brexit vote the effect would be very significant and potential turmoil in the markets.

Why do we want to hear Obama or Fed Governors bumping their lips? Whether Exit or Remain is ain't got nowt to do with them

Exactly the point. The implications are global so it has everything to do with them.

This is one of the fundamental problems, the leave campaign cannot see beyond the UK borders.

Sorry Sandy I can agree about implications but it still has nowt to do with them....the only reason they want us in the EU is so they can use us, maybe if they stopped meddling in other countries business then the world might not have been in the mess it is in now

The American people have an opinion we are like brothers, I doubt they know how much the British are being stiched up,

The politicans and bankers who are mouthing off for remain have vested interests, so should be ignored

The American people have an opinion we are like brothers, I doubt they know how much the British are being stiched up,

The politicans and bankers who are mouthing off for remain have vested interests, so should be ignored

We are only brothers when it suits them

We are only brothers when it suits them

Thats true for the politicians, but the American people don't see us in the same light, they don't have an agenda.

there is hope at last! clap2.gif I mean there would have to be something seriously wrong with anyone with an ounce of common sense ( and provided they don't have their own agenda )who still thinks it's better to stay in after that listening to all the facts in Brexit the Movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTMxfAkxfQ0

General De Gaulle of France was absolutely right to try and block the entry of the UK to the EU. One must remember that the UK had tried to establish a different "common market" with countries that are now part of the EU. Only after theyt had realized that this was an utter failure, did there successfully try to join the EU. Since then, all the EU had has been a succession of requests for exceptions. It is high time for the UK people to decide if they wish to be part of Europe, with all the benefits involved, or out of it . Let us see then where the London Financial centre is, where the British Exports go to, where the so called "British Democracy" (where a PM with a minority popular vote can rule the country) i) and where Britain will stand on security.

The youtube film is an anti EU propaganda clip, full of lies, half lies and misconstrued facts. For example: The European Parliament has the right, indeed the duty, to agree or disagree laws SUGGESTED by the commission. Yes, the EU can be made more democratic, if some countries, like the UK, would stop blocking progress. Europe, including the UK can only have a bright future in our globalized world as a US of Europe, with each country keeping its culture and traditions. EU will exist and progress without the UK, although it will be a pity if the UK leaves. I very much doubt that the UK will prosper without the EU. Remember one fact: The EU, or most states of the EU will not, repeat NOT, be prepared to enter agreements with the UK which will hold benefits only for the UK. I really hope that the British people will have enough sense to realize the actual real facts.

LOL giggle.gif

" Yes, the EU can be made more democratic " well I wouldn't be holding my breath for that onelaugh.png

the only ones with a bright future will be the politicians and bureaucrats that will go on collecting their obscene salaries year after year as the rest of the real world economy sinks further and further into depression

I very much doubt the UK will prosper within the EU because I doubt whether the EU itself will prosper.look at Greece.

What's it got to offer for God's sake?

The EU has been prosperous for the last 10 years , or so compared to the down turn in the global economy. Without the EU, a number of countries, mostly ex Eastern Block ones, would not have a prospering economy like today. As far as the UK goes, where do the UK exports mostly go to? As far as the London Financial Centre is concerned, just imagine how much it will shrink without the EU. I do know that most of the readers will disagree, but I, and I am an economist, believe that the UK would be better off if it not only stays in the EU but joins the EURO, in spite of the Greek disaster, which albeit, has not been dealt with properly.

I really do believe it will be a disaster for the UK to leave the EU. Apart from the financial and social drawbacks, the nearly certain result will be the succession of Scotland, which is very keen on staying in the EU. Even Wales may follow thereafter. What a disaster that would be!

there is hope at last! clap2.gif I mean there would have to be something seriously wrong with anyone with an ounce of common sense ( and provided they don't have their own agenda )who still thinks it's better to stay in after that listening to all the facts in Brexit the Movie

General De Gaulle of France was absolutely right to try and block the entry of the UK to the EU. One must remember that the UK had tried to establish a different "common market" with countries that are now part of the EU. Only after theyt had realized that this was an utter failure, did there successfully try to join the EU. Since then, all the EU had has been a succession of requests for exceptions. It is high time for the UK people to decide if they wish to be part of Europe, with all the benefits involved, or out of it . Let us see then where the London Financial centre is, where the British Exports go to, where the so called "British Democracy" (where a PM with a minority popular vote can rule the country) i) and where Britain will stand on security.

The youtube film is an anti EU propaganda clip, full of lies, half lies and misconstrued facts. For example: The European Parliament has the right, indeed the duty, to agree or disagree laws SUGGESTED by the commission. Yes, the EU can be made more democratic, if some countries, like the UK, would stop blocking progress. Europe, including the UK can only have a bright future in our globalized world as a US of Europe, with each country keeping its culture and traditions. EU will exist and progress without the UK, although it will be a pity if the UK leaves. I very much doubt that the UK will prosper without the EU. Remember one fact: The EU, or most states of the EU will not, repeat NOT, be prepared to enter agreements with the UK which will hold benefits only for the UK. I really hope that the British people will have enough sense to realize the actual real facts.

LOL giggle.gif

" Yes, the EU can be made more democratic " well I wouldn't be holding my breath for that onelaugh.png

the only ones with a bright future will be the politicians and bureaucrats that will go on collecting their obscene salaries year after year as the rest of the real world economy sinks further and further into depression

I very much doubt the UK will prosper within the EU because I doubt whether the EU itself will prosper.look at Greece.

The EU has been prosperous for the last 10 years , or so compared to the down turn in the global economy. Without the EU, a number of countries, mostly ex Eastern Block ones, would not have a prospering economy like today. As far as the UK goes, where do the UK exports mostly go to? As far as the London Financial Centre is concerned, just imagine how much it will shrink without the EU. I do know that most of the readers will disagree, but I, and I am an economist, believe that the UK would be better off if it not only stays in the EU but joins the EURO, in spite of the Greek disaster, which albeit, has not been dealt with properly.

I really do believe it will be a disaster for the UK to leave the EU. Apart from the financial and social drawbacks, the nearly certain result will be the succession of Scotland, which is very keen on staying in the EU. Even Wales may follow thereafter. What a disaster that would be!

In the event of a Brexit,the EU will be concerned for their exports to the UK. As for the UK,it will then be possible for the UK to look for markets further afield and consequently make trading agreements with those countries. As for Scotland,which ever way the the vote goes, The SNP will still want another referendum. As for Wales, I can only assume you are not British,otherwise you would know that the Welsh will likely vote with Northern England and vote to leave this corrupt so called Union.

post-78707-0-18907100-1464939108_thumb.j

LOL giggle.gif

How as the EU been prosperous when it has one of the lowest economic growths on the planet?

LOL giggle.gif

How as the EU been prosperous when it has one of the lowest economic growths on the planet?

This is the World Bank data for economic growth by country - the first country that is close to one I would want to be part of the labour force is Ireland at number 46. Do you want Europe to mirror the likes of Turkmenistan, Chad or Rwanda? Stable and steady is my preferred option.

The economic argument in a nutshell The central argument is simple. The EU is by far the UK’s largest trading partner (Figure 1). Those who want to leave, do so to avoid (a) free movement, (cool.png budgetary contributions and © EU rules.

Trade with the EU could continue broadly unchanged by adopting the Norway model, but that makes no sense because it removes none of the factors in the previous bullet. Thus, leaving implies a ‘Canada’ or WTO arrangement, i.e. less good trading access to an EU market of 500 million people. Making up that loss by building new trade relations will not be quick or easy. The EU has strong internal incentives to use the UK to demonstrate to other member states the high cost of leaving; and the priority of non-EU countries will be to build trade agreements with the much larger EU market. - DT

LOL giggle.gif

and Switzerland is looking at this charade and having a right old chuckle

LOL giggle.gif

the average youth unemployment rate since 2008 in the EU has been a shocking 20%. How can you honestly describe the EU as having being prosperous over the last 10 years?blink.png

As Scotland sought entry into the union 300 years ago the English should have a say as to whether they can leave.

The inner Irish border will be busy enough if we leave, offering the IRA a new lease of life via their racketeering. If Scotland goes too Hadrians Wall can expect to be used for the first time in 1500 years but as yet i'm unsure from which direction any threat will come.

So many experts. The truth is either way is a leap in the dark. My own opinion - I don't go with the Conspiracy Theory, I just see a lot of first class, second rate, men (and women) bumbling about. I elect/pay professionals to sort out these problems, not bumbling, gifted, amateurs. Amateurs, by the way, don't get paid a bloody fortune for f--- ing things up, they do it Ex Gratuite. Then they come back to me and ask me my opinion? What a cheek! Like, I have the time, or the training, or the knowledge, to sort out this problem for them. I am basically very peed off I even have to face this question. Anyway, it's all very ill-timed and opportunistic, neither side has a clear view of where they want to go, all acting in a reactive manner to events as they unfold. I just hope I live another 10 years, to see how it all turns out. And that's the minimum time-frame you're looking at. At the end of the day, I suppose people will just vote for what they think is good for them in the short term. That's why we have politicians - strategic thinkers (555).

So many experts. The truth is... it's about self determination. Autonomy is a basic tenet of self awareness and society. EU is not that!

That's why we have politicians... strategic thinkers is a plea to surrender reason. There's not a single example in recent history where "strategic thinking" has been anything less then corporate or socialist agenda.

Sorry your pissed off you have to face this issue. The people in Plato's Cave were also pissed off to face their issue when they learned it's all shadows on the wall.

Hope we see you here in 2027

Hilarious, coming from an American who doesn't even live in Thailand let alone the UK!

EU is a socialist death trap. If the UK is going to crap the bed have some dignity ole gal, do it on your own.

American retired in Thailand&UK

Whatever are you talking about? Having all but elected Donald Trump as your president I'd have thought you might want to put your own house in order before telling the UK what to do!

chiang mai, on 03 Jun 2016 - 17:38, said:chiang mai, on 03 Jun 2016 - 17:38, said:
arjunadawn, on 03 Jun 2016 - 17:23, said:arjunadawn, on 03 Jun 2016 - 17:23, said:
chiang mai, on 03 Jun 2016 - 06:12, said:chiang mai, on 03 Jun 2016 - 06:12, said:
NeverSure, on 03 Jun 2016 - 03:51, said:NeverSure, on 03 Jun 2016 - 03:51, said:

attachicon.gifCj-S2SxUUAALspV.jpg

Hilarious, coming from an American who doesn't even live in Thailand let alone the UK!

EU is a socialist death trap. If the UK is going to crap the bed have some dignity ole gal, do it on your own.

Whatever are you talking about? Having all but elected Donald Trump as your president I'd have thought you might want to put your own house in order before telling the UK what to do!

Have you received your polling card, chiang mai?

If not, you're just as much an observer as NeverSure and arjunadawn.

My wife and I are voting leave on your behalf.

chiang mai, on 03 Jun 2016 - 17:38, said:chiang mai, on 03 Jun 2016 - 17:38, said:

Have you received your polling card, chiang mai?

If not, you're just as much an observer as NeverSure and arjunadawn.

My wife and I are voting leave on your behalf.

Because I care more about the UK community as a whole and not just about myself, I have voted accordingly. wink.png

Because I care more about the UK community as a whole and not just about myself, I have voted accordingly. wink.png

Don't Thai me, chiang mai. If you're not resident in the UK then you are unable to vote. Notwithstanding, you haven't answered the question.

I reckon your BS me and I'm quite sure that I'm correct in my understanding. You're an observer on this one, my friend.

Don't Thai me, chiang mai. If you're not resident in the UK then you are unable to vote. Notwithstanding, you haven't answered the question.

I reckon your BS me and I'm quite sure that I'm correct in my understanding. You're an observer on this one, my friend.

It's not nice to accuse someone of telling porkies wooloo., not unless you're 100% certain of your facts, which you are not, bad man!

"If you are a UK citizen living abroad, you can apply to be an overseas voter. You must have been registered to vote in the UK in the last 15 years and be eligible to vote in UK Parliamentary general elections and European Parliamentary elections".

http://www.aboutmyvote.co.uk/register-to-vote/british-citizens-living-abroad

Next!

LOL giggle.gif

This is the World Bank data for economic growth by country - the first country that is close to one I would want to be part of the labour force is Ireland at number 46. Do you want Europe to mirror the likes of Turkmenistan, Chad or Rwanda? Stable and steady is my preferred option.

With all due respect, I would suggest that you are referring to the incorrect chart in support of your conclusion. You would be much better served by looking

at the per capita GDP rankings, and not at the individual country's ranking. Why? Because total nominal GDP is influenced by a variety of inputs and one is not comparing apples with apples. Thus, in the chart you have cited, China and India, with GDP growth in the period of 7.3% each, ranks them at numbers 13 and

14 respectively. However, if you look at their "per capita" GDP rankings, it tells a whole new story, actually putting them at numbers 77 and 138 respectively, partly because of their huge populations.

GDP per capita does not show a "standard of living" comparison, although it is somewhat of a good guide. You might, for example, therefore, look at Norway (non-EU), Switzerland (non-EU) and Denmark (EU) for "slow and steady" with high GDP per capita rankings. Respectively, and interestingly, the are ranked numbers

2, 4 and 6 on a per capita GDP ranking, according to the World Bank (2014).

I think you will find that if you have been out of the UK for less than 15 years you can vote thumbsup.gif

It's not nice to accuse someone of telling porkies wooloo., not unless you're 100% certain of your facts, which you are not, bad man!

"If you are a UK citizen living abroad, you can apply to be an overseas voter. You must have been registered to vote in the UK in the last 15 years and be eligible to vote in UK Parliamentary general elections and European Parliamentary elections".

http://www.aboutmyvote.co.uk/register-to-vote/british-citizens-living-abroad

Next!

I'm well aware of the rules, chiang mai, but also quite certain that you'll twist and turn to suit your needs.

Personally, I have my own opinions.

I'm well aware of the rules, chiang mai, but also quite certain that you'll twist and turn to suit your needs.

You're well aware of the rules now you mean!

As for your opinions: most people have them, I prefer facts that can be confirmed as such and are supportable, most here prefer to ignore such things or aren't equipped to understand them.

You're well aware of the rules now you mean!

You can't kid a kidder, chiang mai. You've not got the brain power.

Sorry, the Brexit is most definitely related to Americans desperately searching to reject the same Agenda UK contemplates. You link the two, but erroneously.

Americans are drawn to the Brexit as a referendum of their own possibilities. The only people telling the UK what to do are EU sycophants, Obama included. As goes the UK goes much more!

*The fallacy by association is spittle. People have no voice because... someone named Trump exists. No wonder they world's such a cesspool

Us Brits haven't got the bottle to vote leave. Whereas the Americans are all out for The Donald, something a bit more extreme than the norm.

We haven't got the mettle in the UK. Come on, we voted in Dodgy Dave at the last election. We're a nation of limp-wristed liberals, but will moan to high heaven for the next four years regardless.

The polls are turning, though. Ever so slightly. Dodgy Dave was all over the place on the live Sky debate last night and was more than slightly embarrassed.

May be there is hope yet.

Archived