New Brexit polls suggest shift in favour of leaving the EU

webfact

For what they are worth, the latest opinion polls show the following:

A YouGov poll found 45% favoured the UK leaving the EU, with 41% wanting to stay. An Observer/Opinium poll

also found the Leave campaign ahead by 43% to 40%.

The poll split between LEAVE and REMAIN coincides with the 20-25% undecided. How will the UNDECIDED vote?

Both LEAVE and REMAIN predict adverse economic affects on exit, the former to a much lesser extent than the latter represented by differing degrees of who is interviewed. While nationalism is a factor I believe its emotional aspect (Soverignty, the Motherland, Homeland, Empire, etc.) is already played out with the voters and largely inclusive within the YouGov poll. You'll get no greater response waving the flag once than waving it ten times.

What remains then with the undecided is the economics of LEAVE or REMAIN. The issue becomes for the UNDECIDED how quickly the UK might recover and the interim affect on the middle and low income class. The LEAVE faction essentially says there will be nothing noticeable followed by a substantial increase in economic growth. REMAIN at worst point to a continuing economic status quo.

A common saying comes to mind: better the devil you know than the devil you don't

The current economic situation of the UK under EU is fairly understood regardless of its faults or merits. Cameron and Tsipras have shown that the EU can negotiate with individual members on specifics of a nation's relationship with the EU while preserving the spirit of the EU mission. The USA as the second largest economy in the world supports the EU as its primary trade partner and gives little merit to UK as a separate trade partner outside the EU. This is the devil you know.

LEAVE relies on an array of specultative economic and emotional events that would follow exit for which there is no historical precedence. This is the devil you don't know.

For the UNDECIDED, LEAVE represents an irreversible path to the UK's future. It is a financial gamble promoted by politicians. REMAIN will leave open further opportunity for dialog with the EU to potentially resolve further conflicts with the UK while maintaining an economic status quo. If the UNDECIDED have no sense of urgency nor risk taking, they will side with REMAIN.

I don't subscribe to most of your viewpoint, but it is your view and you are entitled to it.

Bottom line, the "ins", the "outs", the "undecided" will have not influence on the outcome of the referendum,

if they don't get off their jacks and VOTE.

It remains to be seen which contingent are the most motivated to let their voices be heard.

The rest is just pie-in-the-sky.

Everything you say is correct,let's hope the people of the U.K. Check out the Facts and don't bottle it.post-78707-0-73114800-1465209389_thumb.j

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What can one say about Farage?

http://news.sky.com/story/1707208/farage-staying-in-eu-risks-more-sex-attacks

Truely awful person. What an embarrassment for pro-Brexit types! I can't imagine many would go along with Farage's views

But that is just your opinion. You seem to think that David Cameron is the best thing since sliced bread.

My opinion is both of them is the exact opposite of yours.

3,881,099 voters went along with Nigel Farage's views at the last election. That put them in third place with the number of votes won but they only got one seat.

I voted UKIP last time and so did quite a few of my friends in the UK. I will for them again at the next general election.

OTOH the SNP only got 1,454,436 votes but won 56 seats, all of them in Scotland.

The LibDems got nearly a million more votes that the SNP yet only won 8 seats.

I know how much you like links so this one is for you.

http://www.bbc.com/news/election/2015/results

Sliced bread is an abomination. Should be illegal. Cameron should be publically flogged for putting the country at risk because of a few nasty party back benchers.

You freely admit voting UKIP. That rag tag bunch of xenophobic psychos? Poor you? Have you sought help? I guess it must be hard for you....

Xenophobics, next you'll be coming out with racist/ bigots. Well that's what those,who are loosing the argument resort to calling people. A question to you Grouse, one of the main concerns,which will certainly have a bearing on the result is open borders. Most of the population are against the present EU policy of facilitating the movement of economic migrants across the EU. Many of those future Economic migrants wish to enter the UK, including in these numbers are tens of thousands of Muslims who have no intention of integrating. What is your thoughts on this problem. And how will it influence your vote?

The UK originally joined the European Economic Community and the main purpose was to guarantee and stabilise food prices throughout the member states. Whoever thought that they should in effect govern the members was, in my mind, a total idiot. I feel that an exit from the EU monstrosity would be beneficial to the UK. For the man on the street, small businesses and the "green" following perhaps the most benefit would come from the abolition of the VAT curse and the resurrection of purchase tax. That can only be possible after an exit from the EU. It may become an election promise so it is a distinct possibility and would be welcomed and enjoyed by many.

Why do you feel VAT bad, purchase tax good? Why is the EU monstrous? A bit hyperbolic?
VAT is added to most repairs and the purchase of secondhand goods, as well as nearly everything else actually. In comparison purchase tax only applies to new goods thus allowing people on lower incomes or tighter budgets to make at least a tax saving by repairing or buying secondhand, much more environmentally friendly too. The burden of collecting VAT falls to the individual company or sole trader and for a small business in particular, this can be a costly and unrewarded chore. Add in an "in depth inspection" and/or accountancy fee and the costs rise considerably. A very unfair way of taxation and collection, designed and insisted on by the EU and before it by the EEC.

The EU is, in my opinion, an ever growing monster allowing new members that can offer little or no benefit to the union and attempting to control and manipulate the everyday lives of the common people. I personally prefer a democratic system where at least the majority of people make a choice as to who calls the shots. Not so in the EU. I think I prefer not to support bankrupt states such as the Greek shambles. I also would prefer anyone coming to the benefit rich UK to obtain a visa and prove that they can financially support themselves, amongst other things. From the basics of an economic community to the monstrous political, law making, cash hungry thing that is now called the EU, for me at least, is a step (several steps) too far.

And while we are at it .... Does football really need FIFA?

Who needs football? Talking of monstrous things. Thanks for treatise on VAT. You might be happier in USA

Truely awful person. What an embarrassment for pro-Brexit types! I can't imagine many would go along with Farage's views

But that is just your opinion. You seem to think that David Cameron is the best thing since sliced bread.

3,881,099 voters went along with Nigel Farage's views at the last election. That put them in third place with the number of votes won but they only got one seat.

I voted UKIP last time and so did quite a few of my friends in the UK. I will for them again at the next general election.

OTOH the SNP only got 1,454,436 votes but won 56 seats, all of them in Scotland.

Sliced bread is an abomination. Should be illegal. Cameron should be publically flogged for putting the country at risk because of a few nasty party back benchers.

You freely admit voting UKIP. That rag tag bunch of xenophobic psychos? Poor you? Have you sought help? I guess it must be hard for you....

Xenophobics, next you'll be coming out with racist/ bigots. Well that's what those,who are loosing the argument resort to calling people. A question to you Grouse, one of the main concerns,which will certainly have a bearing on the result is open borders. Most of the population are against the present EU policy of facilitating the movement of economic migrants across the EU. Many of those future Economic migrants wish to enter the UK, including in these numbers are tens of thousands of Muslims who have no intention of integrating. What is your thoughts on this problem. And how will it influence your vote?

Well you asked for it

UKIP supporters are deeply unpleasant people. No humanity, no common decency. No place for such people in UK. Much same as National Front.

I may well be losing the argument to the seething masses of great unwashed, uneducated under classes. Fine you win.

I'm out.

May I suggest you snuggle up to the Americans?

BTW, try and get your facts right. Try and find out about refugees, asylum seekers, economic migrants, free movement of people, Schengen. You are so badly informed, it's just not amusing. I see Brexiteers much like the massed orks in the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Finally, do me a favour and stay in England with your football, your dumbed down TV, your hip hop, your celebrity culture, your tattoos, your crap education, your lack of civil society. I will be elsewhere in Germany or Scandinavia.

A YouGov poll found 45% favoured the UK leaving the EU, with 41% wanting to stay. An Observer/Opinium poll

The poll split between LEAVE and REMAIN coincides with the 20-25% undecided. How will the UNDECIDED vote?

Both LEAVE and REMAIN predict adverse economic affects on exit, the former to a much lesser extent than the latter represented by differing degrees of who is interviewed. While nationalism is a factor I believe its emotional aspect (Soverignty, the Motherland, Homeland, Empire, etc.) is already played out with the voters and largely inclusive within the YouGov poll. You'll get no greater response waving the flag once than waving it ten times.

What remains then with the undecided is the economics of LEAVE or REMAIN. The issue becomes for the UNDECIDED how quickly the UK might recover and the interim affect on the middle and low income class. The LEAVE faction essentially says there will be nothing noticeable followed by a substantial increase in economic growth. REMAIN at worst point to a continuing economic status quo.

A common saying comes to mind: better the devil you know than the devil you don't

The current economic situation of the UK under EU is fairly understood regardless of its faults or merits. Cameron and Tsipras have shown that the EU can negotiate with individual members on specifics of a nation's relationship with the EU while preserving the spirit of the EU mission. The USA as the second largest economy in the world supports the EU as its primary trade partner and gives little merit to UK as a separate trade partner outside the EU. This is the devil you know.

LEAVE relies on an array of specultative economic and emotional events that would follow exit for which there is no historical precedence. This is the devil you don't know.

For the UNDECIDED, LEAVE represents an irreversible path to the UK's future. It is a financial gamble promoted by politicians. REMAIN will leave open further opportunity for dialog with the EU to potentially resolve further conflicts with the UK while maintaining an economic status quo. If the UNDECIDED have no sense of urgency nor risk taking, they will side with REMAIN.

I don't subscribe to most of your viewpoint, but it is your view and you are entitled to it.

Bottom line, the "ins", the "outs", the "undecided" will have not influence on the outcome of the referendum,

It remains to be seen which contingent are the most motivated to let their voices be heard.

Everything you say is correct,let's hope the people of the U.K. Check out the Facts and don't bottle it.attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Equating BREXIT with fighting in the trenches in WW1 is about as dishonest as they come, but hey ho should we expect anything less?

There you go yet again. Denigrating people in your monstrous arrogance that you and ONLY you are right and everybody else is wrong. Once again as I have said before, it is only your opinion and it means nothing to a large section of the posters here.

You, like me, and every other registered voter have only one vote.

I am voting out, you are voting to remain, so it seems to remain so our votes cancel each other out.

Sorry about that.

Try learning some manners and insulting people less.

Why should I be polite to uninformed, uneducated fools who are taking my country the wrong way? No time for manners. The great seething mass may well win. Good for you. But don't expect me to applaud.

Everything you say is correct,let's hope the people of the U.K. Check out the Facts and don't bottle it.attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

How nostalgic!

"Kindly show us where Major was deceitful or dishonest?".

Edwina Currie gigglem.gif

So now we have to be honest about our unfortunate sexual predilections? God, it gets more like America every day.....

You see here's the thing

I never thought that there would be any chance of my brethren voting to leave

It seems that, whereas it's unlikely, there is a real risk

I am astonished that so many of my fellow countrymen are so ill informed, so ignorant of history and so foolish to even think that way

It's the dumbing down since Thatcher, the celebrity culture, the dilution of British culture by American ideas, the me first attitudes. DEEPLY depressing. It's the same fools who are pro Trump, anti establishment, Anti meritocracy. The lowest common denominator.

I await the baying howls of fools with no interest whatever.

If the UK leaves the EU, I will migrate to another EU country and dilute the average UK IQ accordingly.

I ain't your brethren ..........You bugger off to Greece, you will be welcomed with open arms and wallet...coffee1.gif

I had assumed that you were low rent British, what with your TRANSAM and all!

Never had much time for the Greeks since Aristotle

"Kindly show us where Major was deceitful or dishonest?".

Edwina Currie gigglem.gif

So now we have to be honest about our unfortunate sexual predilections? God, it gets more like America every day.....

Nah, that was just teasing, nothing serious at all.

But totally agree with you about sliced bread, especially the pre-packaged stuff. What it has in common with real bread is akin to what the average Brexiteer has in common with logic and common sense, no relationship what so ever.

@Grouse...

Yes I can read, yes l have a mirror to shave bye, but YOU daily call us leave folk idiots when YOU in fact do not know what will happen yourself, YOU are the same as Cameron, worried about your cash because YOU have a business of some sort and worried about a leave.........smile.png

I have six businesses here and earn much more than Cameron. So what. I do have UK assets and would prefer not to have them eroded because some fools took the country the wrong way. So don't worry about me

For the avoidance of doubt, deciding to go with Brexit does not make anyone an idiot

Believing the nonsense peddled by Brexiteers is a sure sign of a fool. It astonishes me that you can not see through it! Mind you, if you don't know the history, don't read sensible newspapers and probably don't read books how can you know anything!

I spoke to an American "English" teacher who openly admitted that he didn't read books; he preferred movies. I was speechless. For once.

I'm pretty angry about this now.

Ok, Nontabury, Brexit the Movie.....

Firstly it's too partisan. It fails to make the arguments. Only fools think this is a clear cut decision. There are sensible pros and cons

Secondly it's a Neocon wet dream. A post EU sunlit upland with prosperity supercharged by reduced workers rights and regulations on safety

Thirdly, it's massively out of date. Butter mountains? I think that was fixed about 12 years ago.

The poor fishing industry? Greedy bastards should have stopped over fishing by trawlers

It's a Thatcherite agenda with all that went with that. Thatcher saw British manufacturing decline from 25% to 10% of our GDP and destroyed British society

On the plus side, I discovered the EU is much more democratic than I thought

For more I suggest looking at Quora for "best rebuttle of Brexit the Movie"

There is also an excellent short called Brexit the Movie - a Review

Frankly it depresses me that so many of my fellow countrymen fall for this tripe! What an indictment of our education system!

So after 3 weeks during which you stated that you would pull the Facts

within Brexit the Movie to bits,this is all you can come out with. Not very good Grouse,thought you could do better.

The British fishing fleet was sold down the river by British politicians,in order to gain access to

What exactly. By the way Hull was the largest fishing port in the Whole world,followed by Grimsby. Now no fishing boats operate out of Hull.

I can only think that you must be on some illegal drug to think that the EU is in any way democratic,you disappoint me again and again.

Any way as some consulation to you, I still think the remain side will win,in spite of what the polls are telling us. As a country unfortunately this generation is not made of the same stuff as previous generations.

image.jpeg

Your opinion is of no interest to me. None.

Stick to your opinions.

I am a busy man and I just didn't have time to waste on that drivel.

It saddens me that there are so many FOOLS who can't see straight through it

Embarrassing frankly.

Firstly it's too partisan. It fails to make the arguments. Only fools think this is a clear cut decision. There are sensible pros and cons

Secondly it's a Neocon wet dream. A post EU sunlit upland with prosperity supercharged by reduced workers rights and regulations on safety

Thirdly, it's massively out of date. Butter mountains? I think that was fixed about 12 years ago.

The poor fishing industry? Greedy bastards should have stopped over fishing by trawlers

It's a Thatcherite agenda with all that went with that. Thatcher saw British manufacturing decline from 25% to 10% of our GDP and destroyed British society

Frankly it depresses me that so many of my fellow countrymen fall for this tripe! What an indictment of our education system!

within Brexit the Movie to bits,this is all you can come out with. Not very good Grouse,thought you could do better.

The British fishing fleet was sold down the river by British politicians,in order to gain access to

What exactly. By the way Hull was the largest fishing port in the Whole world,followed by Grimsby. Now no fishing boats operate out of Hull.

I can only think that you must be on some illegal drug to think that the EU is in any way democratic,you disappoint me again and again.

Any way as some consulation to you, I still think the remain side will win,in spite of what the polls are telling us. As a country unfortunately this generation is not made of the same stuff as previous generations.

image.jpeg

Stick to your opinions.

Embarrassing frankly.

Your arrogance in calling people idiots because they have opinions different to you is astounding. It's enough to drive people to vote exit. You're not called Dave are you?

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

Everything you say is correct,let's hope the people of the U.K. Check out the Facts and don't bottle it. image.jpeg

Kindly spare us the fatuous WW1 montages. It is unbecoming. Particularly as you have no idea of the pre-cursors or what the fight was about. I decline to discuss further. Rank bad taste

Bit of a non sequitur (look it up)

Vancouver has 43% migrant population!

It's booming! Property through the roof.

Unemployment? None that you'd notice.

Never mind, Brexiteers, over your heads probably

image.jpeg

Stick to your opinions.

Embarrassing frankly.

Your arrogance in calling people idiots because they have opinions different to you is astounding. It's enough to drive people to vote exit. You're not called Dave are you?

You're not listening

It's not their opinions

It's that they are so poorly informed

It's that they're so gullible

They're fools because they adopt positions even though they must know they're not the sharpest knives in the drawer.

image.jpeg

Stick to your opinions.

Embarrassing frankly.

You're not listening

It's not their opinions

They're fools because they adopt positions even though they must know they're not the sharpest knives in the drawer.

In addition to holding a referendum,why or why do we bother to hold elections in the UK. Much cheaper and quicker to beg Grouse to form a government,after all he can never be wrong!!!

post-78707-0-81162100-1465221422_thumb.jpost-78707-0-81162100-1465221422_thumb.j

"What did the EU ever do for us?

Not much, apart from:

providing 57% of our trade;
structural funding to areas hit by industrial decline;
clean beaches and rivers;
cleaner air;
lead free petrol;
restrictions on landfill dumping;
a recycling culture;
cheaper mobile charges;
cheaper air travel;
improved consumer protection and food labelling;
a ban on growth hormones and other harmful food additives;
better product safety;
single market competition bringing quality improvements and better industrial performance;
break up of monopolies;
Europe-wide patent and copyright protection;
no paperwork or customs for exports throughout the single market;
price transparency and removal of commission on currency exchanges across the eurozone;
freedom to travel, live and work across Europe;
funded opportunities for young people to undertake study or work placements abroad;
access to European health services;
labour protection and enhanced social welfare;
smoke-free workplaces;
equal pay legislation;
holiday entitlement;
the right not to work more than a 48-hour week without overtime;
strongest wildlife protection in the world;
improved animal welfare in food production;
EU-funded research and industrial collaboration;
EU representation in international forums;
bloc EEA negotiation at the WTO;
EU diplomatic efforts to uphold the nuclear non-proliferation treaty;
European arrest warrant;
cross border policing to combat human trafficking, arms and drug smuggling; counter terrorism intelligence;
European civil and military co-operation in post-conflict zones in Europe and Africa;
support for democracy and human rights across Europe and beyond;
investment across Europe contributing to better living standards and educational, social and cultural capital.
All of this is nothing compared with its greatest achievements: the EU has for 60 years been the foundation of peace between European neighbours after centuries of bloodshed.
It furthermore assisted the extraordinary political, social and economic transformation of 13 former dictatorships, now EU members, since 1980.
Now the union faces major challenges brought on by neoliberal economic globalisation, and worsened by its own systemic weaknesses. It is taking measures to overcome these. We in the UK should reflect on whether our net contribution of £7bn out of total government expenditure of £695bn is good value. We must play a full part in enabling the union to be a force for good in a multi-polar global future.

Simon Sweeney,

Lecturer in international political economy, University of York"

image.jpeg

Stick to your opinions.

Embarrassing frankly.

You're not listening

It's not their opinions

In addition to holding a referendum,why or why do we bother to hold elections in the UK. Much cheaper and quicker to beg Grouse to form a government,after all he can never be wrong!!!

attachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

I am frequently wrong

But not about this Brexit nonsense

Not much, apart from:

cleaner air;

lead free petrol;

a recycling culture;

cheaper mobile charges;

cheaper air travel;

better product safety;

single market competition bringing quality improvements and better industrial performance;

break up of monopolies;

price transparency and removal of commission on currency exchanges across the eurozone;

funded opportunities for young people to undertake study or work placements abroad;

smoke-free workplaces;

equal pay legislation;

holiday entitlement;

European arrest warrant;

cross border policing to combat human trafficking, arms and drug smuggling; counter terrorism intelligence;

European civil and military co-operation in post-conflict zones in Europe and Africa;

investment across Europe contributing to better living standards and educational, social and cultural capital.

All of this is nothing compared with its greatest achievements: the EU has for 60 years been the foundation of peace between European neighbours after centuries of bloodshed.

It furthermore assisted the extraordinary political, social and economic transformation of 13 former dictatorships, now EU members, since 1980.

Now the union faces major challenges brought on by neoliberal economic globalisation, and worsened by its own systemic weaknesses. It is taking measures to overcome these. We in the UK should reflect on whether our net contribution of £7bn out of total government expenditure of £695bn is good value. We must play a full part in enabling the union to be a force for good in a multi-polar global future.

Simon Sweeney,

Excellent! Thanks for posting that!

Not much, apart from:

cleaner air;

lead free petrol;

a recycling culture;

cheaper mobile charges;

cheaper air travel;

better product safety;

break up of monopolies;

smoke-free workplaces;

equal pay legislation;

holiday entitlement;

European arrest warrant;

Simon Sweeney,

This is a very well-written piece, as one would expect. It was the subject of a letter written to the "Guardian" in January, 2013. I am sure one would not be

able to argue with its content. (Written and published before the tidal wave of asylum seekers from Syria, North Africa, and various other points of the globe, of course, and before the shambolic "response" and decision-making capabilities of Angela Merkel and other European and EU leaders were paraded for all to

see).

However, just as on a point of balance and fairness, and which plays to the deep-seated emotions, thoughts and feelings of the Brexit campaign, and which has at its heart concern over the future quality of life in Britain which will be affected by unimpeded immigration, making impossible demands of the NHS, school classroom places, hospital waiting times, doctors surgeries, etc., I am appending a letter found on the same page of the Guardian, also published in January of 2013.

"So, Washington wants us to stay in the EU. Imagine the outcry from inside the beltway were the UK to press Mexico's case for unimpeded entry of its nationals into the US. The North American free trade area neither makes provision for the free movement of labour, nor would any American or Canadian politician dare advocate such a provision.

Next in line for membership of an ever expanding EU are seven western Balkan states followed by, if our political class has its way, Turkey, Moldova, Ukraine and Georgia. The scale of uncontrolled immigration into western Europe beggars belief. In addition, the transitional restrictions on Bulgarian and Romanian labour end in 2014. Britain's political class seems determined to drive down the wages of our unskilled citizens by importing cheap labour. Treason springs to mind.

Any renegotiation of the UK's EU membership that does not include an opt-out from the EU accord on the free movement of peoples would be a sham.

Yugo Kovach

Winterborne Houghton, Dorset

It seems that many people think that those who are pushing for Brexit are on the right of politics, understanderble when two of the leaders are

Johnson and Grove. Well you have to add Jeremy Corbin ( who strangely changed his view on the EU on becoming leader ) has made it Labour policy to back Remain. As those of us who used to live in Labour areas have always known, the Labour supporters have always followed their party leaders, a case of putting up a monkey,and they'll vote for it. Now though to my amazement it seems they have started questioning what they have been told.

www.labourleaves.org

On the BBC website this morning, one of the headlines proclaimed, "Pound falls as polls suggest Brexit leave".

There is a further video "business" editorial on the site, headlined "The pound has fallen after two separate surveys

suggested rising support for the UK leaving the EU."

Utterly misleading!

The pound did indeed fall in early trade today. During the session, it actually ROSE to trade ABOVE its open, and

at the end of the day traded more or less where it had opened. There was NO LINK or correlation with what the

polls have revealed.

Why there is this continual fear-mongering, and bias, by an organisation that should know better, and should, in fact,

be neutral according to its mandate, I simply cannot fathom.

On the BBC website this morning, one of the headlines proclaimed, "Pound falls as polls suggest Brexit leave".

There is a further video "business" editorial on the site, headlined "The pound has fallen after two separate surveys

suggested rising support for the UK leaving the EU."

Utterly misleading!

The pound did indeed fall in early trade today. During the session, it actually ROSE to trade ABOVE its open, and

at the end of the day traded more or less where it had opened. There was NO LINK or correlation with what the

polls have revealed.

Why there is this continual fear-mongering, and bias, by an organisation that should know better, and should, in fact,

be neutral according to its mandate, I simply cannot fathom.

Not so, only misleading if you don't understand currency volatility which is now at a seven year high:

200.png

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/06/eu-referendum-brexit-row-david-cameron-tim-farron-boris-johnson/

Archived