Standardised teaching tests for English language.

How does once again creating a "test" do anything about the shortage of teachers?

The "problem" remains the type of people you are going to attract with low wages and almost no benefits. While there are exceptions, the rule of supply and demand still remain.

Most with an even ounce of self respect would refuse to take such a test if they are in fact "Native English Speakers" with real University degrees.

The standard course is Cambridge University IELTS test.

There is no requirement for a degree. After all, if you've just spent 3 or 4 years studying e.g. Soil Science, will that make you a trained English teacher?

I can't see IELTS working. There's usually a shortage of speaking/writing examiners at the BC in Chiang Mai. I guess Bangkok is the same.

The BC has the Teacher Knowledge Test (TKT) however which seems more appropriate.

http://www.cambridgeenglish.org/teaching-english/teaching-qualifications/tkt/

I don't know much about it though. There seems to be a computer-based version so no need for test centres, examiners etc just lots of cash for the BC and UCLES monopoly.

Do you have police clearance? A PGCE?

Due respect to those that have. Those without..well. Pedo alert.

There is no need for a PGCE to teach EFL. A CELTA or equivalent will suffice.

How does once again creating a "test" do anything about the shortage of teachers?

The "problem" remains the type of people you are going to attract with low wages and almost no benefits. While there are exceptions, the rule of supply and demand still remain.

Most with an even ounce of self respect would refuse to take such a test if they are in fact "Native English Speakers" with real University degrees.

The standard course is Cambridge University IELTS test.

There is no requirement for a degree. After all, if you've just spent 3 or 4 years studying e.g. Soil Science, will that make you a trained English teacher?

I can't see IELTS working. There's usually a shortage of speaking/writing examiners at the BC in Chiang Mai. I guess Bangkok is the same.

The BC has the Teacher Knowledge Test (TKT) however which seems more appropriate.

http://www.cambridgeenglish.org/teaching-english/teaching-qualifications/tkt/

I don't know much about it though. There seems to be a computer-based version so no need for test centres, examiners etc just lots of cash for the BC and UCLES monopoly.

No shortage of IELTS examiners in Bangkok!

A legitimate degree holder has demonstrated a degree of competence. A 1st, 2.1, 2.2 etc. These tests are a waste of time and money.

Native speakers are not employed as teachers in Thailand they are instructors. They are not paid to think. The job is to demonstrate the language.

The issue here is the people making the decisions do not have the skill, experience or judgement to do so.

If I had a degree in farting, I would not work for 40,000 baht a month. The best they can hope for is foreigner that have lived in Thailand for more than 3 years. They should have a special licence for language providers and forget about degree holders, or degree in education not going to ever improve their shortage problems.

If I had a degree in farting, I would not work for 40,000 baht a month. The best they can hope for is foreigner that have lived in Thailand for more than 3 years. They should have a special licence for language providers and forget about degree holders, or degree in education not going to ever improve their shortage problems.

Even if they gave you a 3,000 Baht baked bean allowance?

B30,000 a month. 13 months salary. 12 hours a week. 6 months paid holiday. Visa and work permit expenses covered (B30,000) Annually B425,000

It's a good return on investment.

3 year degree from English university costs B600,000.

ROI,71% pa

Archived