Start a mixed farm in Isaan

2 hours ago, jvs said:

Don't buy the seeds!Buy the watermelon,eat it and plant the seeds.We do the same with bell peppers and stuff.

good idea, i planted and only 40% survived till harvested it's all eaten by bugs. 

• Like 1

Hi Mr Kie,

Good thread and keep up the good work.

One question,is it still your family doing the work or have you had to get outside labour and contract machines to help with the workload at certain times.

And at this stage of the project have the man power hours increased or decreased in the daily schedule.

Edited by farmerjo
up
  • Like 1

On 6/2/2016 at 10:40 AM, soalbundy said:

Well done, i would be interested in who you sell your produce to. That about salted water was interesting, we live in Isaan and use water from a deep well (28 meters) for showering and for the washing machine,it's not the least bit salty.

I am on a farm in Kumpawapi - Udonthani.

I am concerned after reading in several places (e.g.  Khon Kaen) that the water is salty.  I am told that many people in the village had bore holes dug to 20 metres and got water but plants would not grow when watered with it.

I am at the moment considering purchasing a water bore machine from the USA  http://hydra-jett.com/1573687.html to fit on the PTO of a tractor to dig 100 metres deep hoping i can strike clean pure water.

57 minutes ago, Cashboy said:

I am on a farm in Kumpawapi - Udonthani.

I am concerned after reading in several places (e.g.  Khon Kaen) that the water is salty.  I am told that many people in the village had bore holes dug to 20 metres and got water but plants would not grow when watered with it.

I am at the moment considering purchasing a water bore machine from the USA  http://hydra-jett.com/1573687.html to fit on the PTO of a tractor to dig 100 metres deep hoping i can strike clean pure water.

Our water is clean and doesn't damage the plants but it is very 'hard' the limescale ruins things like washing machines after 5 years or so,cant do much about that

• Like 2

On 3/6/2559 at 5:04 PM, timberpond said:

Pay attention to costing... having so many different varieties might bring the cost to a much higher level.

Many people have the same thought, growing many things will bring higher cost. in fact, it's opposite, the main cost is maintenance cost from what i think. so i just leave all this to the nature. we focus on creating the good soil, good soil will take care of the plants, many crops will bring variety of bugs good one and bad one and let them do the job. you just support the system, keep it in balance and harvest only the surplus.  

Edited by Mr Kie
  • Like 1

On 1/1/2017 at 3:33 PM, Mr Kie said:

Durian just been here for 3 months, probably gonna take 4-5 years till it start fruiting

IMG_0450.JPG

I was going to do some Durian but i was put off after reading that they don't have very deep roots, don't like surface water (need dry feet) and they can grow up to 60 feet high which means they fall over easily in a high wind which can be expensive (and deadly) if they hit your or your neighbours house. I would like to try growing them in one of our fields but you would need a 24 hour guard when they bear fruit 

• Like 1

On 3/1/2560 at 3:26 PM, soalbundy said:

I was going to do some Durian but i was put off after reading that they don't have very deep roots, don't like surface water (need dry feet) and they can grow up to 60 feet high which means they fall over easily in a high wind which can be expensive (and deadly) if they hit your or your neighbours house. I would like to try growing them in one of our fields but you would need a 24 hour guard when they bear fruit 

where you wanna grow?, I have never seen anyone growing Durian in Yasothon so i try it, i have only few. 

• Like 1

On ‎01‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 3:33 PM, Mr Kie said:

Durian just been here for 3 months, probably gonna take 4-5 years till it start fruiting

Ohhh, Mr Kie, now you've done it.  I was really enjoying your postings until this.

All durian should be strangled at birth!!!

Keep up the good work!  Very inspiring stuff you're doing.

• Haha 1

On ‎03‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 3:26 PM, soalbundy said:

Sarcasm on -

Please don't do it soalbundy.  Durian are evil!

The 'King of Fruits?'  How anyone could put something so foul smelling within the vicinity of their mouth I'll never know.

- Sarcasm off.

Give growing them a shot.  As far as height is concerned, as they grow, cut out the top.  That way they may grow bushy but not high.

Besides, what's the worst that can happen?  A neighbour killed by a falling durian tree?  There are worse ways to go.  Eating one comes to mind.

• Like 1

On ‎13‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 11:10 PM, Mr Kie said:

nothing better than having coconut water right from the tree, decorated with orchid flower which is also available in the farm and using rice straw instead of using a plastic one. Banana was just first harvested and more will come. 

Where are you obtaining the rice straws?

Since I saw your post I've been trying to find them but to no avail.

Sick to death of picking up discarded plastic straws (and other litter).  We have many bins around the shop but a few lazy people can't be bothered with the effort of using them.  The greatest frustration is with those that drop rubbish, on the ground, next to a bin.  Perhaps the confusion of having three bins, side-by-side (recyclables (cans, bottles, cardboard, paper), organic waste, all other rubbish), is too much choice for some to process and figure that the rubbish will find it's own way to the correct bin.

Edited by Stray
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Stray said:

Sarcasm on -

Please don't do it soalbundy.  Durian are evil!

The 'King of Fruits?'  How anyone could put something so foul smelling within the vicinity of their mouth I'll never know.

- Sarcasm off.

Give growing them a shot.  As far as height is concerned, as they grow, cut out the top.  That way they may grow bushy but not high.

Besides, what's the worst that can happen?  A neighbour killed by a falling durian tree?  There are worse ways to go.  Eating one comes to mind.

A friend from Germany visited me while on holiday. he is an engineer but a bit of a tree hugger. While out walking in a small market town he 'announced' (that is the only way to describe it) that he was finally ready. For what i asked, Durian he said, a pregnant pause followed which finally gave birth to '' I am ready to try Durian''. He bought a small piece put it in his mouth and instantly threw up on the street, he wasn't ready for Durian.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, soalbundy said:

A friend from Germany visited me while on holiday. he is an engineer but a bit of a tree hugger. While out walking in a small market town he 'announced' (that is the only way to describe it) that he was finally ready. For what i asked, Durian he said, a pregnant pause followed which finally gave birth to '' I am ready to try Durian''. He bought a small piece put it in his mouth and instantly threw up on the street, he wasn't ready for Durian.

Definitely an aquired taste.  Those that indulge inform me that eating one is an amazing experience.  I don't know if they mean that in a good way.  However, I strongly suspect they only want to witness my reaction which, I imagine, would be on par with your German friend.

Going back a few years ago, when a group of us would congregate at an outdoor cafe, would occasionally cop the strong stench of rotting garbage.  Without looking, we would make wagers on whether it was a garbage truck or a durian seller.  It was always a straight up 50-50 gamble.

Having said all that, when time permits, will be planting a couple of durian to see how they go.

On 7/1/2560 at 11:20 AM, Stray said:

Definitely an aquired taste.  Those that indulge inform me that eating one is an amazing experience.  I don't know if they mean that in a good way.  However, I strongly suspect they only want to witness my reaction which, I imagine, would be on par with your German friend.

Going back a few years ago, when a group of us would congregate at an outdoor cafe, would occasionally cop the strong stench of rotting garbage.  Without looking, we would make wagers on whether it was a garbage truck or a durian seller.  It was always a straight up 50-50 gamble.

Having said all that, when time permits, will be planting a couple of durian to see how they go.

i'm not the Durian eater, i can have some but not so much. i have seen 2 people i know, one is my ex-girlfriend (korean), she tasted first time and had problem with stomach then she never try it again. Another person is my former Boss (German lady), visited the farm and she saw people selling fruits in Chantaburi way back to BKK, she asked to buy and tasted one. after she tasted she like it a lot and bought another set, put in the box and took it with her hotel in BKK. so i think it's different from person to person.

it's same when i smell the French cheese for the first time someone put in the fridge, i thought it was something spoiled. i have never try it and don't want to try. 

On 7/1/2560 at 0:33 AM, Stray said:

Where are you obtaining the rice straws?

Since I saw your post I've been trying to find them but to no avail.

Sick to death of picking up discarded plastic straws (and other litter).  We have many bins around the shop but a few lazy people can't be bothered with the effort of using them.  The greatest frustration is with those that drop rubbish, on the ground, next to a bin.  Perhaps the confusion of having three bins, side-by-side (recyclables (cans, bottles, cardboard, paper), organic waste, all other rubbish), is too much choice for some to process and figure that the rubbish will find it's own way to the correct bin.

that was in the rice harvesting season, so i picked one. just thinking of keep growing rice for straw if it's necessary. we are just trying to use less plastic bag, or any plastic that can only be used once. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...