Brit found dead in Chiang Mai hotel with plastic bag over his head, inquest hears

webfact

Bristol man found dead in Thailand hotel room with a plastic bag over his head
By H_Pickstock

CHIANG MAI: - A Bristol man was found dead in a hotel in Thailand with a plastic bag over his head, an inquest heard.

Robert Harris, who was living in London at the time of his death, had been on holiday staying at the Royal Guest House in Chang Khlan in the province of Chiang Mai in November last year.

The freelance IT projects manager had booked a 19-day stay in Chiang Mai and had booked into the hotel.

An inquest at Flax Bourton Coroners Court heard how Mr Harris, 39, was last seen on November 23 and that a 'do not disturb' sign had been placed on his door.

Full story: http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Bristol-man-dead-Thailand-hotel-room-plastic-bag/story-29311106-detail/story.html

-- Bristol Post 2016-06-02

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joke all you like until it happens to you. Some shameful people troll these forums.

Pot kettle black. its beyond evil wishing this death on someone else . Should I die for my comment?

Joking is how I deal with grief..Its just the way I roll. Happen to me? unlikely I have an upscale condo in Bangkok and no money worries so nah. How bout you?

Says he was living in London at the time of his death, but his body was found in Thailand with a plastic bag over his head, somebody moved his body a bit quick.

Yes, they carried the body over from U.K. and dragged it up to Chiangmai, where the police noticed nothing unusual, since this happens so often :)

Joke all you like until it happens to you. Some shameful people troll these forums.

Pot kettle black. its beyond evil wishing this death on someone else . Should I die for my comment?

Joking is how I deal with grief..Its just the way I roll. Happen to me? unlikely I have an upscale condo in Bangkok and no money worries so nah. How bout you?

Oh, I wasn't aware that suicide is caused by scale of condo, I thought it was a manifestation of mental illness, you learn something everyday.

Suicide or one of those weird Tory Party-style sex things

Nah mate, just wait for all the idiot knowalls why will state categorically that the cops did it, or girlfriend.

Isn't it the norm for most of farangs on this forum to do so..... Thai Visa, full of bitter farangs..

"Robert Harris, who was living in London at the time of his death..." Is there a "Hotel Chiang Mai" in London? Does anyone proof read this stuff? Think I know the answer already...

Don't want to get into 'nit-picking', but the way I read is that he was indeed living in London, but on holiday 'staying' at the Hotel Chiang Mai smile.png . Tourists and business people stay in Thailand awhile, but live in their countries of residence.

Suicide or one of those weird Tory Party-style sex things

Nah mate, just wait for all the idiot knowalls why will state categorically that the cops did it, or girlfriend.

It's a recommended in many books as a surefire method of suicide along with sleeping pills, if not disturbed.

If people do the research instead of making crass comments, they will see.

Very sad but I guess he was suffering in one way or another and it is (was) his life and his decision.

Nothing to do with anyone else.

You book into a Chiang Mai guest house for 19 days with the intention of committing suicide? So one would think if it was suicide then it was triggered by something that happened while he was there. There were two empty vodka bottles in the room but they could have been consumed over a period of days so that doesn't say much. Everything was neat and tidy in the room as if he was in a calm state of mind. Why didn't he leave a suicide note?

I am not making any assumptions, I will leave that to the theorists. Without knowing more about him everything is speculation. RIP

"Robert Harris, who was living in London at the time of his death..." Is there a "Hotel Chiang Mai" in London? Does anyone proof read this stuff? Think I know the answer already...

Living in London, holidaying in Chiang Mai. quite straightforward I'd say. If I live in London and go on holiday to Thailand, I am still living in London.

RIP Mr Harris

One thing strikes me as odd

was last seen on November 23....entry was forced on November 26

A post mortem examination could not establish the cause of death due to the decomposed state of the body
Are 3 days really long enough that cause of death cannot be established?

RIP Mr Harris

A post mortem examination could not establish the cause of death due to the decomposed state of the body

Well if a weapon is not involved I would imagine so.

Suffocation would cause discolouring of the skin but three days decomposition will do that too.

I'm guessing (I hope) that they submitted tissue samples for toxicology.

Says he was living in London at the time of his death, but his body was found in Thailand with a plastic bag over his head, somebody moved his body a bit quick.

He lived in London but was staying in CM whilst on holiday in Thailand.

RIP Mr Harris

Yes ,unless he had the a/c on full blast .

You never know what life's going to throw at you mate.

It's correct English to use both the present tense and the present continuous tense to describe someone's current abode that has a degree of permanence. Thus he came from Bristol - lived in London and was staying in CM while on holiday in Thailand.

Oh, I wasn't aware that suicide is caused by scale of condo, I thought it was a manifestation of mental illness, you learn something everyday.

You conveniently missed the bit about no money worries. I would go as far as to say that the vast majority of suicides are money related. Look at this poor guy, died in what amounts to a a 1 star room. Now go do some research and see how many suicides happen at Hilton hotels and how many happen in shitty 1 star motel rooms ?

Its always about the money or consequences arising from the lack of it like the mrs leaving ..

lets us know how you get on

Archived