Where do you buy your soup stocks?

Hal65

Undoubtedly, home made is best. The tinned/boxed/pouched ones are all dreadful, and plain water is better. To quote Michael Ruhlman on this:

"I cannot say this strongly or loudly enough: DO NOT use canned stock/broth. Use WATER instead. I repeat. You DO NOT NEED to buy that crappy can of Swanson’s low sodium chicken broth! It will HURT your food. Use water instead. When that recipe says 1 cup of fresh chicken stock (or good quality canned broth), please know that your food, 90 percent of the time, will taste better if you use tap water instead of that "good quality" canned broth. Water is a miracle."

Definitely next to no one uses that processed stock.

Knorr is available around the world. In 1957, flagship Knorr brands like bouillon and soups were sold in 8 countries and by 2000, Knorr products were sold in nearly 90 countries around the globe.

In Nigeria alone, over 100 million Maggi bouillon cubes are sold per day .

Nestles sells 200 billion per year.

You guys ares funny.

Minors is used in restaurants around the world. It's not as salty as the bouillon cubes. I think I saw some at Villa but it's been a while and I may be mistaken. The Thai housewife uses the bouillon cubes.

post-246924-0-50335000-1464966047_thumb.

Scot, F.F.S, your average Thai can't afford freaking processed Knorr stock or ever set foot in Tesco Lotus. Jeez.

I live in Thailand. A small pack of 4 Knorr Swiss Bouillon is 10 baht and are available everywhere in Thailand and is used by every Thai housewife to make stock.wai2.gif

Scot, F.F.S, your average Thai can't afford freaking processed Knorr stock or ever set foot in Tesco Lotus. Jeez.

I live in Thailand. A small pack of 4 Knorr Swiss Bouillon is 10 baht and are available everywhere in Thailand and is used by every Thai housewife to make stock.wai2.gif

I live in Thailand and do not use the stuff

My wife, a Thai lady, thinks it is muck as do all her many Thai friends.

I do not know anyone who uses it !

This stuff must be used by those farangs who live in farang communes and do not have the skill/knowledge needed to make home made stock from fresh ingredients.! smile.png

According to Scot, every Thai housewife uses stock cubes. I'm more than a little suspicious that a four pack of branded Knorr stock cubes costs ten baht. But Scot is adamant so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until I visit Tesco Lotus in the next day or two and rubbish his claim. Sorry, Scot.

I haven't shown my wife this thread yet, but know that she'll laugh at your wild claims.

Proceed with caution your becoming a Laughing Stock.

https://shoponline.tescolotus.com/groceries/en-GB/products/6073146692

https://shoponline.tescolotus.com/groceries/en-GB/products/6018991971

I go to the seasoning isle at least twice a week at lotus and have a good idea of the turnover. They sell a ton of the cubes and the powder. I'm just guessing but I'd say at least a million cubes a day in Bangkok alone.

I know you fellas like to disagree with folks just to be ornery but email Knorr Swiss I'm sure they have detailed sales stats for Thailand.

I go to the seasoning isle at least twice a week at lotus and have a good idea of the turnover. They sell a ton of the cubes and the powder. I'm just guessing but I'd say at least a million cubes a day in Bangkok alone.

I know you fellas like to disagree with folks just to be ornery but email Knorr Swiss I'm sure they have detailed sales stats for Thailand.

Will Knorr confirm that EVERY Thai housewife (as you claim) uses their nasty product ? If so they will be as far removed from reality as you seem to be !

Will Knorr confirm that EVERY Thai housewife (as you claim) uses their nasty product ? If so they will be as far removed from reality as you seem to be !

I know how big Knorr Swiss is and Maggi - same stuff and how have a rough idea how much is sold in Thailand. Maggi is even a table condiment.

Check the bouillon cube sales in Britain or Australia for comparison. You guys just don't cook I do.

Knorr is Unilevers biggest brand with sales of a billion dollars plus and that is a lot of bouillon. There is also a cheap Thai copy called Rote Dee. The point is that the great majority of Thais use bullion as opposed to making stock.

I just go to my favourite Khao mon gai shop and order a 20 baht bag of the soup/stock which i then use in my cooking great for stews soups and anything that needs a chicken stock.

I know how big Knorr Swiss is and Maggi - same stuff and how have a rough idea how much is sold in Thailand. Maggi is even a table condiment.

Indeed. Maggi is a table condiment in cheap hotels and restaurants and my wife would positively vomit ingesting that devil's puke.

Believe what you want, Scot.

Like I said, I'll be back in a few days to murder you live on TV.

Indeed. Maggi is a table condiment in cheap hotels and restaurants and my wife would positively vomit ingesting that devil's puke.

Some people obviously use "odd" condiments !

That stuff would not be seen on our table nor indeed on any table where we might choose to stay/eat -------------

About what? The prices - I posted them. Get the sales of bouillon cubes in Thailand and divide them by the number of Thai people. I'd bet they are at least one a week for every Thai person living in Thailand. Anyway talk is cheap I posted the prices and availability and the sales of Knorr Swiss. Nestle produces about 80 million cubes of Maggi per day and I don't think they are as popular as Knorr Swiss.

I'll be happy to add to my knowledge at any time and look forward to your participation in a factual debate. When are you coming back? Do you live in Thailand full time?

Some people obviously use "odd" condiments !

That stuff would not be seen on our table nor indeed on any table where we might choose to stay/eat -------------

One of Maggi's largest and most important markets now, however, is no longer Europe, but rather Asia.

Some feel that Maggi has a particular umami to it which gives it an affinity for Asian-style cooking, particularly Chinese.

The Maggi people noticed the usage, and now even suggest Chinese food recipes to use Maggi in.

http://www.cooksinfo.com/maggi

Seems to me I've seen Maggi on the table at most of the British Pubs in Thailand.

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer to make my own.

I can well believe that a lot of Thai people use the cubes, though. I think some people cling to the bizarre myth that Thai people are all salt of the earth poor farming folk who make everything from scratch.

Archived