Where do you buy your soup stocks?

Hal65

If you go into Tesco you will find chicken carcasses on sale... Perfect for stick and very cheap. Add the trinity and you're away with a real stock.

Even better, they also sell pork bones for stock. Gives a sweeter, deeper stock in my opinion. And less likely to go "chalky" from over cooking.

As other posters mentioned pork, chicken, fish and mushroom are common in any Thai store. Beef on the other hand is not however I buy Knorr's beef stock in large 1.5kg tub from Macro or Villa the taste is quite good. I have never seen it in smaller packages for beef broth.

As other posters mentioned pork, chicken, fish and mushroom are common in any Thai store. Beef on the other hand is not however I buy Knorr's beef stock in large 1.5kg tub from Macro or Villa the taste is quite good. I have never seen it in smaller packages for beef broth.

I buy Knorr's beef stock at Tops in the same small cubes as the chix and pork and mushroom

Knorr stock is available everywhere, even the smaller market shops sell them . So I do believe that Thai house wifes use them , but maybe not all of them . I find it very convinient to use Knorr when I make a soup , all you need is water and 2-3 minutes and it's ready. I hate to waste time.

Scot, F.F.S, your average Thai can't afford freaking processed Knorr stock or ever set foot in Tesco Lotus. Jeez.

I live an hour below Khon Kaen and when I go to Tesco Lotus I'm the Only foreigner. The entire store is filled with Thai people shopping for food,drinks and household supplies. I have also specifically noticed the noodle shop ladies in their aprons buying soup bases during the midday as if they ran out and noted this must be one of their secrets to quick and tasty soups.

When I go to Tesco Lotus in On Nut its full of both Thais and foreigners. Which Thailand do you live in where Thais are so poor they can't set foot in a supermarket?

• 1 year later...
On 6/3/2016 at 10:04 PM, wooloomooloo said:

Scot, F.F.S, your average Thai can't afford freaking processed Knorr stock or ever set foot in Tesco Lotus. Jeez.

Just browsing and thought about the packed Tesco Lotus I was just shopping full of Thais. Then a quick search came up with 12 million customers a week, 1700 stores across Thailand and 50,000 staff. Dont think they would stock the stuff if there was no demand.

Archived