'Foreign Tourists' Must Pay 40 Baht to Visit Wat Chedi Luang, Chiang Mai

webfact

'Foreign Tourists' Must Pay 40 Baht to Visit Wat Chedi Luang
by CityNews

image-e1464860338256-1024x768.jpeg

CityNews – Wat Chedi Luang has announced that it will begin charging ‘foreign tourists’ 40 baht entry to cover the costs of care and repair of the temple, which sees hundreds of visitors every week.

The decision was made aware to the public by three billboards, in Thai, English and Chinese, that were erected outside the temple last week.

Full story: http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/foreign-tourists-must-pay-40-baht-to-visit-wat-chedi-luang/

cn.png
-- Chiang City News 2016-06-03

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plenty more temples in the sea.

It's old info, but...

"There are a total of 40,717 Buddhist temples (Thai: Wat) in Thailand as of 31 December 2004, of which 33,902 are in current use, according to the Office of National Buddhism."

It's not like these guys are doing their reputations any good these days -- Tiger Temple, Jet Setting Monk, Phra Dhammachayo's money laundering charges, etc., so perhaps they should be doing something to show less avarice and more piety.

As i have previously stated monks are only interested in money.

How can we make more, forget about all the donations they con out of local people.

More money, charge the foreigners get all we can.

Do the temples record all the moneies they get?

Do they pay tax on moneies received?

Temples now are about greed not piety.

Wat Chedi Luang is a large and important temple, people have to pay to go into large and important churches in the UK and it's sometimes over twenty Pounds, not 40 baht. And even if entry to a UK church is free, assuming it's not locked (!) the cost of upkeep is passed on to the tax payer via things such as the Chancel Repair Bill, the cost of which is borne by the tax payer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chancel_repair_liability

How can we make more, forget about all the donations they con out of local people.

Monks, hmmmm Catholic priest seem to be a fair bit richer... ????

Entry to where ? The viharn, the chedi? There are at least 2 side entrances and a main entrance so not sure how and where they will collect money. It will be an interesting topic for the monk chat they have there. The monks will be busy fielding questions on the topic of entrance fees. How long before an enterprising tourist charges them for the "free" English lesson !

I do not agree that anyone irrespective of religion should have to pay to go to a place of worship and conduct their belief. It is nothing to do with the Baht 40 it is more a question of two Buddhists one Thai and not. The Thai doesnt pay but the other does. This is pure discrimination which I dont believe has any place in religion. Yes some churches charge and I consider it to be a disgrace as well

Reminds me of the priest, Rabbi and Minister talking on how they split the donations on a Sunday

Minister says, I put my hand in the bag and take one coin at a time and God chooses what he wants by guiding my hand.

Rabbi says, I count it and split it 50/50 between me and God.

Priest says, I put it on a plate and throw it in the air, what God wants he catches, what comes down is mine.

When temples become commercialized.

First Wat Pra Sing now Wat Chedi Luang.

Soon they will all charge, which is ridiculous in my opinion.

Money should come form the heart trough donations.

Maybe these big tour buses full with Chinese could make some sort of a collection before entering the temple compounds.

Religion is free and so should it be to go and pray at any church or temple.

Also for the abbot if he want to make money he should consider the tour operator contracts run is from November till end October and are already send out for 2017..

So operators visiting this temple can not inflate their prices any more and will skip the temple, which mean even lesser donations.

40 bath is not a lot , but for a bus with 40 persons it adds up.

I will be looking forward to see how this greedy story ends.

Maybe these big tour buses full with Chinese could make some sort of a collection before entering the temple compounds.

Also for the abbot if he want to make money he should consider the tour operator contracts run is from November till end October and are already send out for 2017..

So operators visiting this temple can not inflate their prices any more and will skip the temple, which mean even lesser donations.

Nonsense, the entrance fee into UK cathedrals and greater churches ranges from ten to twenty Pounds not 40 baht!

"...begin charging ‘foreign tourists’ 40 baht entry to cover the costs of care and repair of the temple,..."

Ah, so this implies Thai visitors leave it pristine, no damage, care or repair required. No doubt came to this conclusion after visiting some beaches and other popular sites.

Makes no difference to me - never visit any of them. See 2 or 3, that's enough for this lifetime.

I agree, I'm all Watted out blink.png

As for my wife ,when we go away I spend half my time parked outside some Temple or a gas station loo and the food stalls scattered between whistling.gif

Nonsense, the entrance fee into UK cathedrals and greater churches ranges from ten to twenty Pounds not 40 baht!

And is that only charged to foreigners?

Ans is that only charged to foreigners?

The subject is the cost of entrance to temples/churches, free or not, the subject is not Thailand's dual pricing system.

If you want to go to the temple you pay, that somebody else may or may not get in without paying is irrelevant.

The subject is the cost of entrance to temples/churches, free or not, the subject is not Thailand's dual pricing system.

If you want to go to the temple you pay, that somebody else may or may not get in without paying is irrelevant.

No, the subject is the cost of entrance to temples for foriegners.

If you had took the time to read and understand the the headline of this story then you would have noticed that the title stated 'Foreign Tourists' Must Pay 40 Baht to Visit Wat Chedi Luang'.

If that is too difficult for you to understand then you should not be trying to argue the point.

"...begin charging ‘foreign tourists’ 40 baht entry to cover the costs of care and repair of the temple,..."

Ah, so this implies Thai visitors leave it pristine, no damage, care or repair required. No doubt came to this conclusion after visiting some beaches and other popular sites.

Well in that case it will fail. Most Thai's never read notices

Monks, hmmmm Catholic priest seem to be a fair bit richer... ????

Don't let facts get in the way of an anti Thai ranter.

Do churches pay tax on the money from the collection tins?

The Catholics spend a fortune of their tax free money on lawyers to defend themselves against thousands of cases of child rape and cover ups.

But let's bitch about forty baht instead and whether or not they are paying tax on it.

Yes but everyone pays NOT just tourists. go figure . he the despoilers and litter louts are mainly THAI not foreigners who KNOW how to take care.

No, the subject is the cost of entrance to temples for foriegners.

If you had took the time to read and understand the the headline of this story then you would have noticed that the title stated 'Foreign Tourists' Must Pay 40 Baht to Visit Wat Chedi Luang'.

If that is too difficult for you to understand then you should not be trying to argue the point.

Blah blah blah!

I don't know how the rest of the population thinks but if I want to go somewhere to see a particular exhibit or attraction I quickly asses whether the charge to do so is acceptable to me versus how badly I want to see it. That somebody else might pay more or less is totally irrelevant to my decision making process. Now if others are on a crusade to try and change the dual pricing system in Thailand good luck to them and write when you're finished. And if others feel strongly principled or having difficulty with the morality of dual pricing in Thailand I suggest this country is not for you.

Archived