BREAKING: Thugs who brutally attacked British family in Hua Hin jailed for 2 years

The bar owner who hyped the whole thing up is now keeping a very low profile.

He was the one who started the story that they were innocent victims and he exaggerated the extent of their injuries.

The reality is that they had nothing more than a few minor cuts and bruises, and headaches which more than likely were cause by their all day drinking session.

Regardless of which side of the fence you sit on this one, if you got a punch in the face, then a kick in the head, and you were hospitalized and operated on for blood pressure to the brain I think it would be reasonable to assume that it was caused by more than an all day drinking session - mine don't end up with me in a hospital bed!

All day of drinking had plenty to do with their injuries..

Drinking is what made this family do, what they may have not have done, if sober..

And that was to start a fight with "surprise" drunk Thais..

Looks like drinking, had everthing to do with their injuries..

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was the one who started the story that they were innocent victims and he exaggerated the extent of their injuries.

The reality is that they had nothing more than a few minor cuts and bruises, and headaches which more than likely were cause by their all day drinking session.

Regardless of which side of the fence you sit on this one, if you got a punch in the face, then a kick in the head, and you were hospitalized and operated on for blood pressure to the brain I think it would be reasonable to assume that it was caused by more than an all day drinking session - mine don't end up with me in a hospital bed!

Drinking is what made this family do, what they may have not have done, if sober..

I haven't bothered to check the Thai meida but if there are no mentions of this in Thai then that doesn't surprise me, most Thais would consider this 2 year sentence unjustly harsh just for belting a couple of farang, after all they didn't kill the farang, so what's the fuss all about? The farang were acting uppity and behaved disrespectful to wonderful Thai men, so they got a thrashing. I mean that's what you do with disrespectful farang isn't it?

As for these scumsuckers getting beatings in prison. Just who is going to beat them up and why? Their fellow Thais sure as hell won't harbor any ill feeling towards them just for clobbering a couple of farang. And the farang in the same prison are not going to risk their lives by beating up Thai inmates. No. It'll be pats on the back all round for these lowlife bottom feeders.

This incident horrified and deeply disturbed the Thai people and received wall-to-wall coverage in the Thai press. Each of the four people charged were separately sentenced to 4 years in jail. Because they confessed prior to trial, their sentences were reduced by half, which is standard procedure in Thailand. They were convicted of the charge "acting as a group to cause serious bodily injury to another person." The below link is a news report of the sentencing:

http://news.sanook.com/2006902/

As for your comment that "most Thais would consider this 2 year sentence unjustly harsh," please have a look at the comments section which follows the sanook.com article. All of the comments in Thai express the sentiment that the perpetrators got what they deserved.

Waiting for the '500 baht, and a slap on the wrist' brigade, to eat their words.

I stayed quiet on the potential outcome, but I do wish to direct your attention to the following;

1. The hue and cry had an affect. Had there not been a public reaction I expect the penalty would not be as severe.

2. I do not expect these thugs to do the full term. They may qualify for early release come the traditional exit paroles in December.

So your suggestion is that, any case in the whole of the Thai judiciary system, that does not receive worldwide publicity, gets treated leniently ?

If so, you are way off the mark.

Physical assaults on foreigners often go uninvestigated and unpunished. You are delusional if you do not believe that Thailand has its own version of "Jim Crow" behavior. If you haven't noticed that some farangs are treated significantly better than others. It's all about money. Remember the Canadian physician visiting Chiang Mai was shot in a drive by in Chiang Mai in 2008? He was staying at the hi so Mandarin Oriental Dhara Dhevi nd was on an expensive safari. His case became a priority and the authorities bent over backwards to take care of him. Earlier in the same month, Dale Henry a safety inspector for an offshore oil firm was savagely murdered. It took a hue and a cry and some very persistent efforts by the victim's friends and family to get a response. If I get into a jam in Thailand, I know I will be treated much better than 90% of other foreigners in similar circumstances.

Watch them get a pardon after 6 months.

Quote: "sentenced to 2 years in jail, without the possibility of parole."

That should prevent them getting out before the end of the sentence..

How long have you been in Thailand? There is parole and there is amnesty. The last big amnesty was in April last year. 38,000 inmates were given amnesty and released.

Its the first time I have seen this, absolutely disgusting, bet they were hard men picking on an old couple, Prison wouldn't have been my choice

Looks like someone else has been drinking! I'm seeing double! Or did you post your comment twice to try to make it more convincing?

And how do you know that they had been drinking all day? An assumption, or were you stalking them?

And what are "surprise" drunk Thais? Do you mean that it's a surprise that Thais are drunk? Or don't start a fight with drunk Thais or you will end up with a surprise?

No, drinking did not have everything to do with their injuries - it may have been a contributing factor, but the main cause of their injuries were the fists and feet of cowardly (drunken) Thai men/youths - and there is no getting away from that - it's on the video!

Looks like someone else has been drinking! I'm seeing double! Or did you post your comment twice to try to make it more convincing?

And how do you know that they had been drinking all day? An assumption, or were you stalking them?

And what are "surprise" drunk Thais? Do you mean that it's a surprise that Thais are drunk? Or don't start a fight with drunk Thais or you will end up with a surprise?

No, drinking did not have everything to do with their injuries - it may have been a contributing factor, but the main cause of their injuries were the fists and feet of cowardly (drunken) Thai men/youths - and there is no getting away from that - it's on the video!

It took only 2 weeks to come up with that response..

Here you go.

You >> ... Don't start a fight with drunk Thais or you will end up with a surprise?

You should know that answer...

I can only assume, your thoughts are...

It's all within a tourist rights, to hit a Thai and Thais should just stand there and be abused..

In which the Thai, the old lady slapped was taking the abuse, but she felt the need to continue attacking him..

Anyway..

As I said from the beginning, this family did not deserve to get beat up..

But, if you're man or drunk enough to assault a drunk Thai..

Don't expect a surprise!!

A "surprise" would be... Not getting beat up or killed..

Most people with common sense know this already..

Here you go.

You >> ... Don't start a fight with drunk Thais or you will end up with a surprise?

It's all within a tourist rights, to hit a Thai and Thais should just stand there and be abused..

In which the Thai, the old lady slapped was taking the abuse, but she felt the need to continue attacking him..

Anyway..

2 weeks? Ermm, maths not your strong point is it? From 6th June to 15th June is by my reckoning 9 days, but that is rather irrelevant to the topic, and a childish attempt to score Brownie points by commenting about how long it takes someone to reply to a post! I have my reasons for the delay, but that is none of your business, and is totally off topic.

I don't intend arguing the toss with you any more on this point - obviously we have differing viewpoints on the matter, and see the events on the video differently, and It would be interesting to know what would have happened if there had been no video footage available! But as far as I am concerned, the headline says it all, and surprisingly for LOS, is a fair punishment for how these thugs reacted to the situation.

Here you go.

Anyway..

2 weeks? Ermm, maths not your strong point is it? From 6th June to 15th June is by my reckoning 9 days, but that is rather irrelevant to the topic, and a childish attempt to score Brownie points by commenting about how long it takes someone to reply to a post! I have my reasons for the delay, but that is none of your business, and is totally off topic.

I don't intend arguing the toss with you any more on this point - obviously we have differing viewpoints on the matter, and see the events on the video differently, and It would be interesting to know what would have happened if there had been no video footage available! But as far as I am concerned, the headline says it all, and surprisingly for LOS, is a fair punishment for how these thugs reacted to the situation.

A much more reasonable time frame -- to respond to a post..

FYI..

If you reply on or 9 days after a post.. Round up! Puts your reply 2 weeks later..

But, like you said, pretty childish to point that out..

"Two years" for the guy that put foot, to an old lady's face.. That is acceptable..

The others, should do less time (and might)..

If there was no video.. I would have assumed the BS story was true..

But... The video proves, the brutal attack was provoked by tourist!!

Was it a justified response by the Thai(s)??

Not the kick, to the old lady's face...

That's about it!!

Here you go.

Anyway..

FYI..

If you reply on or 9 days after a post.. Round up! Puts your reply 2 weeks later..

"Two years" for the guy that put foot, to an old lady's face.. That is acceptable..

That's about it!!

You are obviously the type that always wants the last word, so obviously you will reply to this, but really, I have had enough of this bickering, so I will put a stop to this before somebody else does, so this is DEFINITELY my last post to you on this thread:-

"If you reply on or 9 days after a post.. Round up! Puts your reply 2 weeks later.."

What a petty excuse for what you agree was a childish comment in the first place! So if I reply 7 months later it becomes a year later as per your "Round up" calculations? I'm glad you do not have a job in Air Traffic Control, or any Government financial department!

As for the rest of it, you are in no position to decide whether or not it is acceptable that the only "thug" to do the full 2 years is the one who kicked the old lady in the face - that is up to the courts to decide - not you - that's about it!

No - not "about it" - "definitely it"!

Here you go.

Anyway..

FYI..

That's about it!!

You are obviously the type that always wants the last word, so obviously you will reply to this, but really, I have had enough of this bickering, so I will put a stop to this before somebody else does, so this is DEFINITELY my last post to you on this thread:-

"If you reply on or 9 days after a post.. Round up! Puts your reply 2 weeks later.."

What a petty excuse for what you agree was a childish comment in the first place! So if I reply 7 months later it becomes a year later as per your "Round up" calculations? I'm glad you do not have a job in Air Traffic Control, or any Government financial department!

As for the rest of it, you are in no position to decide whether or not it is acceptable that the only "thug" to do the full 2 years is the one who kicked the old lady in the face - that is up to the courts to decide - not you - that's about it!

No - not "about it" - "definitely it"!

You: I don't intend arguing the toss with you any more on this point -

You: No - not "about it" - "definitely it"!

You sure this time?

If you took 7 month to reply, it might as well be a year..

So...

To keep up with the childish theme..

I'll give you, what you disparately want to hear..

It "only" took you 9 days vice 2 weeks to respond..

So, don't lose the plot over this nonsense..

It doesn't have to be faultless, for an opinion..

Absurd the men were all treated equally when the British family were the first to start assaulting people.

Where I'm from holding a man so another can sucker punch him would pretty much warrant a retaliatory beating.

The woman was entirely responsible for the entire fiasco with the first slap. Watch the video in about 1/4 time as a outside foreigner tries to get her to walk away, she refuses, and goes out of her way to confront the man she slapped- again with sonny and pa on her heels.

There is a fifth foreigner who jumps into the melee attacking a bystander Thai man, and then a Thai woman trying to stop the fight. He was the real catalyst for the Thai men perceiving there was a gang of foreigners attacking Thais- because they were.

I only hope the Thai authorities have done this draconian sentencing to all four men in way of lip service and only one- who kicked Ms Owen in the face serves out a jail term. The other three were innocent of " ganging up" and attacked first.

I only hope the Thai authorities have done this draconian sentencing to all four men in way of lip service and only one- who kicked Ms Owen in the face serves out a jail term. The other three were innocent of " ganging up" and attacked first.

Jeez man. There you go getting in the way of a good Thai bashing dogpile.

I'm surprised there weren't calls to hang all of them. (Or maybe there were, but I missed those posts in all the hateful noise.)

Archived