BREAKING: Thugs who brutally attacked British family in Hua Hin jailed for 2 years

These thugs will be hero's inside.They beat up ferangs,which the thugs consider their god given right.

I only hope these victims never paid their hospital bills,and the hospital will be chasing the villains for recompense.

After all would you pay? I would have to say "sorry we dont have any money and we came to Thailand for a wonderful holiday.We didnt expect to get the shit kicked out of us by the friendly locals,and as for your bill,go f##k yourselves"

Why should a third party (the hospital), which provided them with the care and treatment they needed, be punished?

Makes absolutely no sense - none whatsoever.

What a sad, sad attitude...

Two wrongs don't make it right.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Waiting for the '500 baht, and a slap on the wrist' brigade, to eat their words.

And how are you going to verify the sentence, no less the attackers actually serving the sentence? You, farang, can not. I see what the farang newspapers say, but I don't know what is true and for real. The kid who kicked Rose Owens in the head while she was down 'looked' under-aged. If he was a teenager, I seriously doubt he is in jail for two years because Thai youth are 'blameless victim of their own violence'.

Ten days at a Wat as a junior monk would solve every violent teenager's problems, regardless of who they killed or injured.

Another one of your assumptions, that one attacker looked under age, he is in fact 20 years old.

The only one who should do any time is the head kicker, the Owens, who were the instigators and the other three guys are guilty of being part of an affray, and should be fined.

Absolutely!!!

Meanwhile, the Owen's, who have since returned to the UK vowed they would never return to Thailand.

Were they not reported to announce officially they would come back to Thailand?

Yes that quote by Thai authorities makes me wonder if maybe this report the thugs got time is real or make believe also. Who knows it could just be for the news and the guys are walking around free.

Wouldn't surprise me and I'm sure it wouldn't be the first time nor the last. The plastic surgeon/dentist who 'accidentally' killed the British girl a few years back was also supposed to be in the slammer but my wife told me he is a free man and has set up shop elsewhere in BKK. If you check the news though, it says he got 10 years. I suppose the authorities just make it up as they go along. That's nothing new though, is it?

So, here we are on Page 6. Probably a good time for a quick check.

Has there been any corroboration of the guy's Facebook post indicating the 2 year sentence?

In the Bangkok Post. Sentenced to for years, reduced to two years.

It was reported in the Thai language press eg on 05/06/16 Matichon.co.th stated all 4 got 4 years reduced to 2 for confessing. They were immediately sent down to begin serving their sentence at Prachuap Khirikhan prison.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand 's (TAT) regional Director General for Prachuap Khirikhan province, Mrs Arasa Awutkhom, said the case had had (a negative) effect on tourism to the country. She had sent instructions to TAT's offices in the UK for officials to go meet and inform the injured parties of the court's decision.

These thugs will be hero's inside.They beat up ferangs,which the thugs consider their god given right.

I only hope these victims never paid their hospital bills,and the hospital will be chasing the villains for recompense.

After all would you pay? I would have to say "sorry we dont have any money and we came to Thailand for a wonderful holiday.We didnt expect to get the shit kicked out of us by the friendly locals,and as for your bill,go f##k yourselves"

I think that their bills have already been paid by TAT in return for a bunch of flowers and a statement saying that they would definitely be coming back to Thailand, . What they said once they returned to the UK is a different matter!

The only one who should do any time is the head kicker, the Owen’s, who were the instigators and the other three guys are guilty of being part of an affray, and should be fined.

Right, don't forget every thing came from the tourists; 2 years, same sentence that the one for the drunk student who killed three people

I was talking to my sister a relative of her husband a retired RCMP and his wife are selling everything and want to move to either Thailand or Vietnam I suggested Vietnam and told them all I know about how Thailand is going downhill and backwards faster than a run away train.Had a friend and his wife visit 4 years ago ask about coming back to see again I also told him do not come here go to Vietnam.I told both parties do not waste your time in Thailand it is a shiit hole now.

It may be in your neck of the woods but don't make ridiculous generalisations about the rest of the country. How about letting your family and friends make up their own minds particularly as your advice to them doesn't stand rational scrutiny?

You are quite the guy.Assume a lot of things but that is expected from the ignorant so no offence taken.My neck of the woods is one of the best areas in Thailand my post was about the sewer that makes up the rest of the country.I feel it is my duty as a friend to inform others of the perils of coming to Thailand if that does not cut it with you sorry the truth hurts.You are probably talking to one of the most rational people on TV in my humble opinion.so rational scrutiny can be used to further prove my points thank you

A large amount of the comments I've read on TV regarding Thailand being a shit hole are from the group of people residing in Pattaya, Phuket, Bangkok, CM, Hua Hin or the like.

I've very rarely, if ever, had the comment made by someone in rural/semi rural Thailand.

I've been coming to Thailand for many years, including bringing my mother and fiancée without ever once feeling unsafe, threatened, in trouble. I'm recently retired and in the process of relocating and having children in Thailand so I'm unsure where everyone gets their attitudes towards the country apart from the newspapers. And we all know if you base your life around what you read in the news you'd never leave your front door.

Sure it has its problems but so does anywhere. As long as you avoid doing anything super dumb you'll have no trouble.

I was talking to my sister a relative of her husband a retired RCMP and his wife are selling everything and want to move to either Thailand or Vietnam I suggested Vietnam and told them all I know about how Thailand is going downhill and backwards faster than a run away train.Had a friend and his wife visit 4 years ago ask about coming back to see again I also told him do not come here go to Vietnam.I told both parties do not waste your time in Thailand it is a shiit hole now.

So why aren't you taking the advice you are giving to others and applying it to yourself?

Waiting for the '500 baht, and a slap on the wrist' brigade, to eat their words.

How much would they had got if this had not gone viral?

Why are Thai jails full of criminals, some given excessively large sentences, despite the fact their crimes were never shown on social media ?

Another one with a middle name 'assumption'.

There is something fishy about this post. First, it seems an unprecedented amount of time for anyone to get a trial and be sentenced in Thailand. Second, why was the sentencing not reported from the court with the name of the judge included? Again we have the report by someone that someone else did or said something with no supporting documentation of any kind. It simply does not meet journalistic standards.

There is something fishy about this post. First, it seems an unprecedented amount of time for anyone to get a trial and be sentenced in Thailand. Second, why was the sentencing not reported from the court with the name of the judge included? Again we have the report by someone that someone else did or said something with no supporting documentation of any kind. It simply does not meet journalistic standards.

I don't think there is any particular timescale for people to get a trial in Thailand, it is surely dependant on lawyers etc. preparing to put forward the necessary defence/prosecution. In a clear cut case, where guilt is admitted, I don't see 7 weeks as unprecedented at all. I know of people who have been tried and sentenced within weeks of committing a crime, again for clear cut cases.

I also have not read any cases where it is particularly necessary to name the judge.

The bar owner who hyped the whole thing up is now keeping a very low profile.

He was the one who started the story that they were innocent victims and he exaggerated the extent of their injuries.

The reality is that they had nothing more than a few minor cuts and bruises, and headaches which more than likely were cause by their all day drinking session.

Strikes me as being a fair / just sentence.

I sincerely hope that the Owen's family makes a complete recovery and the sentenece handed down will help them to find closure.

I agree, djayz. This does seem fair. Not only fair, but FAST!

Here in NY the defense lawyers would drag this out for months on end. The result of this is the two year sentence would be cut in half for "time served" while their own defense lawyers drag things out.

There are two big problems with this "slow justice". The time served awaiting trial is NOT hard time. That is, they don't have to work or do anything!

More importantly when justice is delayed, the other thugs never make the connection between bad acts and their resultant consequences.

I have to give Thailand credit for handling this unfortunate situation in a fair, and efficient manner.

I lived on Koh Phangan for 5 years and saw this a dozen times; Thai men/boys always attack in groups, it's like they never heard of a one-one-one deal or they are too wimpy to engage someone on their own.

Once the punches and feet start flying their spineless buddies start in and it becomes mob rule, usually 4 or 5 or more guys against one hapless, usually drunk farang.

The name for a female cat comes to mind, I hope these clowns get a taste of their own medicine in the monkey house.

Yeah you're correct, back home our juvenile delinquents always fight to the Queensberry rules.

LOL.

Queensberry ... who by the way proved himself to be a ruthless, vicious and retarded brute in the trials of Oscar Wilde, with whom his son was having an affair.

That his boxing rules are still now considered the epitome of 'British fair play' is a world of irony, and highly revealing of how our Western societies function on hypocrisy and pretence when it comes to ethics.

They are not considered "an epitome of British fair play". More an expression to indicates some rules in an activity that usually has none thus making that activity more acceptable as a sport.

Given the supposed connections of these guys, the cynical side of me wonders if the sentence is just for show and in fact they will be let out for 'good behavior' in only a few months.

Once again, I would love to be proven wrong.

Kulsawek Sawekwannakorn, a Hua Hin based journalist for Daily News, today wrote on his Facebook page that the four men who admitted carrying out the attack, Siwa (Neng) Noksri, Chaya (Boy) Jaibun, Supatta (Mong) Baithong and Yingyai (M) Saengkhamin, have been sentenced to 2 years in jail, without the possibility of parole.

Not the strongest court room reporting from our "legal correspondent"... whistling.gif

The bar owner who hyped the whole thing up is now keeping a very low profile.

He was the one who started the story that they were innocent victims and he exaggerated the extent of their injuries.

The reality is that they had nothing more than a few minor cuts and bruises, and headaches which more than likely were cause by their all day drinking session.

Regardless of which side of the fence you sit on this one, if you got a punch in the face, then a kick in the head, and you were hospitalized and operated on for blood pressure to the brain I think it would be reasonable to assume that it was caused by more than an all day drinking session - mine don't end up with me in a hospital bed!

I lived on Koh Phangan for 5 years and saw this a dozen times; Thai men/boys always attack in groups, it's like they never heard of a one-one-one deal or they are too wimpy to engage someone on their own.

Once the punches and feet start flying their spineless buddies start in and it becomes mob rule, usually 4 or 5 or more guys against one hapless, usually drunk farang.

The name for a female cat comes to mind, I hope these clowns get a taste of their own medicine in the monkey house.

Yeah you're correct, back home our juvenile delinquents always fight to the Queensberry rules.

LOL.

Queensberry ... who by the way proved himself to be a ruthless, vicious and retarded brute in the trials of Oscar Wilde, with whom his son was having an affair.

That his boxing rules are still now considered the epitome of 'British fair play' is a world of irony, and highly revealing of how our Western societies function on hypocrisy and pretence when it comes to ethics.

They are not considered "an epitome of British fair play". More an expression to indicates some rules in an activity that usually has none thus making that activity more acceptable as a sport.

You describe what the Queensberry rules are, and seeing your nickname, I have no doubt that you know exactly what you are talking about :-)

I was referring to how they are perceived, especially on this Forum. I have seen numerous posts here, lately, referring to the Queensberry rules as a symbol of British fair play and every time I kept thinking how paradoxical that was.

I have no doubt that John Douglas Queensberry managed to somehow civilize an activity that was pretty wild until then, and that a lot of good he did by doing so. I just wanted to point out that he could be both a civilized boxer, and a very brutish bully in other matters. His hysterical homophobia, however, made him nothing more than a man of his time, that's for sure.

Archived