Yellow House Book and Thai ID Card

Issangeorge

Well after years of procrastinating I decided to finally get a yellow book. I had four reasons for doing this. First, the Thai Government is now issuing long term foreigners an ID card, it is not the same as the one that the Thai’s get, but it does have your picture on it and identifies you. I imagine you can carry it instead of a passport, but am not sure. Anyway I decided I wanted one and to get one you need a Yellow Book. Second, my extension for stay is coming up next month, and I just thought I would rather give them a copy of my own house book, than using my wife’s. Third I want to apply for a bank account, and figure having my own house book and Thai ID card, should make that process easier. Fourth my Thai Driver’s License is coming up for renewal and the Yellow Book will save me a trip to the Canadian Embassy or Immigration Office to get a resident letter. Another reason is I am hoping that with the ID Card, maybe I can get into the government attractions for the Thai price.

The process in my amphur of Kuchinarai, Kalasin, was quite simple. My wife and I went to the amphur office last week to find out what was needed and went back today. They wanted a paper with my Mother’s and Father’s name in English and Thai, Google Translate and some correction from my wife accomplished this. They also wanted their birth and death dates, if they were deceased and where these events occurred. Also my name in Thai, which again Google Translate was able to do with some help from my wife. They also wanted two pictures of me. This was not mentioned ahead of time, but I took four pictures that I will use for my extension of stay, rightly figuring Thai officialdom loves pictures. I also took a copy of our marriage Certificate and of the Picture page of my Passport and all the other pages. I saw the official look at the marriage certificate twice, so I guess it was important. He had also asked us to go with the mooban headman. This morning at about 08:20 my wife and I met the village headman at the amphur and the process began. At 11:15 I had the Yellow book in hand and we went to the line up for the ID Card. They told us to go back after lunch. At 1Pm we returned (the village headman had left about 10AM, no longer needed) at about 1:20 we left ID Card in hand. Everything was all straight forward. My wife gave the village headman ฿200 for his time, tipped the official ฿100 and there was a ฿60 charge for the ID Card, of which we got a receipt. Half a day spent, but it will save me hopefully many travelling to the Immigration office, a two hour drive each way for a letter of residency whenever I renew my driver’s license.

Today I thought of one more reason for a Yellow Book, I’m not sure if it is valid or not. Now that I have my own house book and no longer under my wife’s does she still have to fill out the Tm30 form informing immigration I stay at her house?

t think your wife may still have to do the TM30.

As for the ID card, i got one recently. i asked if i can use it for ID instead of my passport and they said "No". i asked if i can use the card to get Thai prices on National Parks and other attractions and was told "No". I then asked what can i use it for and the answer was "Nothing"! At least it was free. i will try using it to get 'Thai' price, just so i can see their confusion from producing something they probably haven't seen or heard of! smile.png

Good write up on the process. Though with my amphur i had to get a notarised copy of my passport from the embassy and get a certified translation of my name and parents name, which then both had to be certified at the Chaeng Wattana complex in Bkk. A lot more difficult than your process. For the amount of times i have used the Yellow Book it probably wasn't worth the trouble. Though in some ways it is good to have as shows you are serious about staying here, and maybe in the future it may be more difficult to get!

As for the ID card, i got one recently. i asked if i can use it for ID instead of my passport and they said "No". i asked if i can use the card to get Thai prices on National Parks and other attractions and was told "No". I then asked what can i use it for and the answer was "Nothing"! At least it was free. i will try using it to get 'Thai' price, just so i can see their confusion from producing something they probably haven't seen or heard of! smile.png

Good write up on the process. Though with my amphur i had to get a notarised copy of my passport from the embassy and get a certified translation of my name and parents name, which then both had to be certified at the Chaeng Wattana complex in Bkk. A lot more difficult than your process. For the amount of times i have used the Yellow Book it probably wasn't worth the trouble. Though in some ways it is good to have as shows you are serious about staying here, and maybe in the future it may be more difficult to get!

whilst i obtained my id card several months ago it seems already a very difficult/involved process

just luck i guess that the only docs i had to show were PP/YELLOW BOOK/ KOR ROR 2 no requirement for any translation my wife came to the appli office (recommended) their seemed to be a great deal of chit chat going on

as for the reason to getting the card because i can /could i gave a security guard at the disabled car parking in Robinsons who demanded an id card a bit of a shock when i showed up with my card he even managed a salute

and lifted the barrier

I cannot see any additional benefits if you already have a work permit but I'm happy to be proven wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are right a work permit works great, I opened my last bank account and obtained my last driver's license with a WP, however I am no longer working, so will use the yellow book as a replacement. A shame about the reported uselessness of the ID card, although who knows some government attractions may except them, and I am pretty sure rightly or wrongly hotels and even police will except them in place of a passport, I will still have a copy of it on my phone. I have also heard that perhaps soon all long term foreigners will need a ID card.

I showed my Government Hospital patient ID card which listed my Thai ID as the same number of my Yellow House Book when I bought the Senior Discount Ride stored value cards at both BTS and MRT in Bangkok. I will see about a proper Thai ID card next week. Thank you Issan George for starting this thread.

I have yet to enter the Buriram Land Transportation office with my wife. That yellow house book has enabled me to register a SUV and an auto in my name at the Land Transportation office. I am on my third auto and third motorbike license in Thailand and never had to show a document for my address other than the yellow house book. Different office, different thoughts on guidelines it seems. I have never shown my wife's blue book at the land Transportation office as she is registered in a different town. That did not raise any eyebrows with Kap Choeng Immigration on the Marriage Visa issue. Immigration picked my home to visit. I was not even present for the home visit. Sometimes I just wonder about the flexible nature of Thailand.

When applying for your driving licence you will still need your wife's original blue book & copies as last week I showed them my yellow book, they asked for my wife's blue book also

Sent from my Lenovo P780 using Tapatalk

It all depends where you are. Buriram does not require either book.

Just a certificate of residence from the local police station.

I cannot see any additional benefits if you already have a work permit but I'm happy to be proven wrong?

You are right a work permit works great, I opened my last bank account and obtained my last driver's license with a WP, however I am no longer working, so will use the yellow book as a replacement. A shame about the reported uselessness of the ID card, although who knows some government attractions may except them, and I am pretty sure rightly or wrongly hotels and even police will except them in place of a passport, I will still have a copy of it on my phone. I have also heard that perhaps soon all long term foreigners will need a ID card.

You still need to carry your passport - how else can they check your Visa status quickly ?

You still need to carry your passport - how else can they check your Visa status quickly ?

Have a photo of it on your phone is probably the most convenient method.

I got the yellow book a few years back. I got the pink ID card last week. At amphoe mueang Ubon (or tesaban for people in tambon nai mueang), all that was required was 1 copy of my passport, 1 copy of my yellow book, 60b for the card and 10b for a cute little matching pink case. haha. I have no clue what the point of it is, but I figure it can't hurt to be slightly more legitimate. Also, all my Thai friends are jealous that my card is pink.

I got the yellow book a few years back. I got the pink ID card last week. At amphoe mueang Ubon (or tesaban for people in tambon nai mueang), all that was required was 1 copy of my passport, 1 copy of my yellow book, 60b for the card and 10b for a cute little matching pink case. haha. I have no clue what the point of it is, but I figure it can't hurt to be slightly more legitimate. Also, all my Thai friends are jealous that my card is pink.

I can imagine what type of friends (only joking)

I am not sure if my pink ID card is the same as the ones mentioned in this post. I got my one in Ubon some years ago as a permanent resident. I use the same blue house registration book as my wife. I find the ID card extremely useful. I use it all the time to travel within Thailand, show at the bank, check into hotels and wherever ID is necessary within Thailand. My passport stays at home in my safe. I am not sure whether or not one can get a "Thai price" at national parks or say the Ubon Zoo as I have not been to these places (national parks) for years.

My ID card is for whole of life.

I am not sure if my pink ID card is the same as the ones mentioned in this post. I got my one in Ubon some years ago as a permanent resident. I use the same blue house registration book as my wife. I find the ID card extremely useful. I use it all the time to travel within Thailand, show at the bank, check into hotels and wherever ID is necessary within Thailand. My passport stays at home in my safe. I am not sure whether or not one can get a "Thai price" at national parks or say the Ubon Zoo as I have not been to these places (national parks) for years.

interesting that your card doesn't have an expiry date. Maybe later issued cards all have expiry dates now. i think your ID number would start with an 8 being a PR, while mine starts with a 6 and is valid for 10 years.

if you look at the link Thanyaburi Mac provided (also below) it will show an explaination of the ID number and some examples of the card. i was hoping that i could do the same as you but with only 'temporary status' i would need to show my visa/permission-to-stay. It would seem that with the PR and the 8 on your ID card, you are considered Thai (or close enough!). i am jealous! smile.png

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/898085-id-card-for-farangs/

interesting that your card doesn't have an expiry date. Maybe later issued cards all have expiry dates now. i think your ID number would start with an 8 being a PR, while mine starts with a 6 and is valid for 10 years.

if you look at the link Thanyaburi Mac provided (also below) it will show an explaination of the ID number and some examples of the card. i was hoping that i could do the same as you but with only 'temporary status' i would need to show my visa/permission-to-stay. It would seem that with the PR and the 8 on your ID card, you are considered Thai (or close enough!). i am jealous! smile.png

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/898085-id-card-for-farangs/

Yes, indeed, I do have an ID card beginning with the number 8. But I doubt if any in authority would read this number. They do, however, notice the "whole of life" and are very surprised and give me the figures up. Well done so to speak.

However, although being "whole of life", I did strike an obstacle two years ago when I sold my house and moved to a new house. Once I obtained my new registration in my new house blue book, I trotted along to the Ubon city council to get a new ID card showing my new address. After much to and fro between desks the answer came back that it was not necessary to issue a new pink ID card as it was for "whole of life".

This is somewhat inconvenient as the ID shows my old house address and I live in a new house.

I still think they are mistaken because of laziness. This is because my ID card is not issued directly by the city council but from the Department of Internal Affairs in Bangkok. I think the locals here just couldn't be bothered with sending it to Bangkok with all the associated paper work. Maybe I will try again in a couple of years.

Another thing came up last year when I went to renew my 5 year driver’s license. On my previous drivers licenses it always showed my ID number which is the same on my house registration. This time they demanded my passport number. I asked why? The reply was that all foreigners must have their passport number on their drivers license. I explained that I was a permanent resident and my ID number was for life and that my passport would expire in four months time and the new passport would have a new number.

No, they said, people not being Thai, must have their passport number on their driver’s license. I didn’t bother arguing any further as the driver’s license is only one document which I keep on my person when driving but is hardly ever used. Again, I think they are mistaken. But then maybe, it is a directive from higher up in the current government, to keep an eye on these no-good foreigners

When applying for your driving licence you will still need your wife's original blue book & copies as last week I showed them my yellow book, they asked for my wife's blue book also

Sent from my Lenovo P780 using Tapatalk

But did you need a letter of residency from immigration or your consulate? I don't really mind taking my wife's blue book, but I don't see how they can enforce that. What if you own your own condo and you are not married and the only book you have is a yellow one.

Thaichiplanet, my pink ID card issued yesterday, starts with a 6, however it has no expiry date on it, so I guess its good for the rest of my life. Michael, my drivers license was issued before I had a yellow book, and they put my passport number on it. A short time later I got a new passport, so went back to the office to see if they wanted to issue me a new license, with the new passport #, but they didn't seem too concerned and sent me on my way. A friend of mine got a DL about two years ago, before the regime change, and they put his yellow book ID # on his DL.

I did the same office 2 weeks ago and yes only PP and yellow book with copy of both. The pic on ID was taken by them,and 60 bt for them,but being a big tipper I gave 100bt (biggrin.png ) and we had a nice chat with the friendly Lady behind the desk. We went in the morning and was asked to come back around 4 pm to pick up card..Ended a nice experience. I love Udon even Immigration--------- Dougal

Archived