"Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent)"

Some Thai people, and a few on this very forum be they Thai or other nationalities, consider TEFL courses of one hour to four weeks, and online "University" degrees the equivalent to a four year on campus educational experience. As of this date, there is no rumor of corruption in the TCT but those with corruption on their mind might tell you otherwise. Teachers working illegally is more widespread than one might surmise.

Some Thai people, and a few on this very forum be they Thai or other nationalities, consider TEFL courses of one hour to four weeks, and online "University" degrees the equivalent to a four year on campus educational experience. As of this date, there is no rumor of corruption in the TCT but those with corruption on their mind might tell you otherwise. Teachers working illegally is more widespread than one might surmise.

Geez, BruceMangosteen. Nothing better to do? You really f@#$%^g hate this country, don't you? Your answer is completely unrelated to OP's question.

Speaking of a Provisional Teacher’s permit, I'm curious who has gotten their Provisional Teacher’s permit without a Bachelor's, as such, and fulfilled it with whatever the "equivalent" was.

?

Thanks!

The "Requirement for Issuance of a Teaching Permit to Foreign Teachers Without the License" of The Teachers' Council of Thailand state the following -

2. Hold a Bachelor’s degree which benefits education, and it must be certified by either the Teachers’ Council of Thailand (TCT) or the Teacher Civil Service and Educational Personnel Commission (TEPC) or the Civil Service Commission (CSC) or shown in the list at The World of ALMANAC (the applicant may check your degree certification at www.ksp.or.th by selecting “professional license section, foreign teacher’s qualification check” or at the website of TEPC or CSC).

It means that you've to look into the OCSC's database whether your university is accredited. If you're from the USA you have to look it up in the World of Almanac. In case your educational credentials can't be found in either database, you can sent your education documents to the Teachers' Council of Thailand hoping for an accreditation.

Bruce, you aren't alone. You've a buddy in TerryLH.

TerryLH, by the way, do you work in an OBEC school?

Key phrase: "or equivalent". What does that comprise of?

I know what it means to have a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution; I may be a Yank, but I'm not stupid. wink.png

I posted a part of the TCT's provisional teaching permit requirements document showing you there is no mentioning of 'equivalent'.

'Equivalent' is mentioned in the teacher license requirements but then in the context with degree in education.

Then some real degrees also don't have the magic word "Bachelor" printed on that might disturb some administrations.

Which Bachelor degrees don't have Bachelor printed on them? Never seen that....

I know of people over the years who have tried to get a provisional license without a Bachelor's Degree. Three have. With two it was an accident and the licenses were later rescinded. Actually, I think there were some changes in the regulations that caused it, because the TCT was very much aware that the degrees were not full Bachelor's Degrees. The third person had a 3 year degree and was given a provisional license to cover the time it would take him to get the full Bachelor's Degree. He had actually completed his Bachelor's Degree but owed money to the school and they would not give him the 4 year degree until he paid up. He paid and his full degree was granted.

This doesn't fully answer your question because these are more exceptions than 'equivalent' degrees.

I know of people over the years who have tried to get a provisional license without a Bachelor's Degree. Three have. With two it was an accident and the licenses were later rescinded. Actually, I think there were some changes in the regulations that caused it, because the TCT was very much aware that the degrees were not full Bachelor's Degrees. The third person had a 3 year degree and was given a provisional license to cover the time it would take him to get the full Bachelor's Degree. He had actually completed his Bachelor's Degree but owed money to the school and they would not give him the 4 year degree until he paid up. He paid and his full degree was granted.

This doesn't fully answer your question because these are more exceptions than 'equivalent' degrees.

I think it was just a mistake and should be: "A Bachelor degree, or higher."

OP, if you'd sign up for a BA that's offered by a univerity with an office in Bangkok, I think you'd be okay just to have the enrollment form.

No idea about your qualifications, but it's possible that you could enroll in a Dip Ed course where you physically have to have one day on a weekend in Bangkok, Pattatay, or Korat for 4 to 5 times, the rest is online. And affordable.

If you'd like to have the contact e-mail, please send me a private message. The lady will tell you if you're entitled to do so.wai2.gif

P.S. If you're entitled to enroll in the Dip ED course, you could have your real TL in only 9 months.

Then some real degrees also don't have the magic word "Bachelor" printed on that might disturb some administrations.

Some which are not labeled in english ? from other countries that don't use english language ? :)

Some which are not labeled in english ? from other countries that don't use english language ? smile.png

They need to be translated before being accepted by the TCT.

In Norway a bachelors degree is achived after completing 180 study credits over 3 years.

The same for Sweden and Denmark, and probably other countries as well.

I do nopt think a 4 year bachelors programme even exist here in Norway

Geez, BruceMangosteen. Nothing better to do? You really f@#$%^g hate this country, don't you? Your answer is completely unrelated to OP's question

bitter foriegner..

[font=helvetica

]

Speaking of a Provisional Teachers permit, I'm curious who has gotten their Provisional Teachers permit without a Bachelor's, as such, and fulfilled it with whatever the "equivalent" was.[/font]

?

Thanks!

The "Requirement for Issuance of a Teaching Permit to Foreign Teachers Without the License" of The Teachers' Council of Thailand state the following -

2. Hold a Bachelors degree which benefits education, and it must be certified by either the Teachers Council of Thailand (TCT) or the Teacher Civil Service and Educational Personnel Commission (TEPC) or the Civil Service Commission (CSC) or shown in the list at The World of ALMANAC (the applicant may check your degree certification at www.ksp.or.th by selecting professional license section, foreign teachers qualification check or at the website of TEPC or CSC).

It means that you've to look into the OCSC's database whether your university is accredited. If you're from the USA you have to look it up in the World of Almanac. In case your educational credentials can't be found in either database, you can sent your education documents to the Teachers' Council of Thailand hoping for an accreditation.

every morning after i brush my teeth ,then dump , i wipe my butt with a few sheets off the roll of bachelor's degree's hanging on the wall .

every morning after i brush my teeth ,then dump , i wipe my butt with a few sheets off the roll of bachelor's degree's hanging on the wall .
Sorry, mate. Sad you don't have any money to buy toilet paper. Please don't use your passport pages, mikiea!

Pity, it seems none of your bachelor degrees included proper written English as a requirement.

Sorry, mate. Sad you don't have any money to buy toilet paper. Please don't use your passport pages, mikiea!

He wouldn't be the first doing that.

I know what it means to have a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution; I may be a Yank, but I'm not stupid. wink.png

Your ID is not of the Miamoto Musashi the well known Samurai by an chance?

I posted a part of the TCT's provisional teaching permit requirements document showing you there is no mentioning of 'equivalent'.

'Equivalent' is mentioned in the teacher license requirements but then in the context with degree in education.

perhaps he is confused. The actual teacher's license only wants an equivalency

Teaching License
Teaching License Requirements

1. Be at least 20 years of age

2. Hold a degree in Education or an equivalent or in other related fields accredited by the Teachers Council

of Thailand or

• Hold other degrees and a teaching license from abroad or

• Hold other degrees and a graduate diploma in Education with 1 year course of study

3. Completion of training course on Thai Language, Culture and Professional Ethics from a training

institution approved by the Teachers’ Council of Thailand

4. Not Possess any of the prohibited characteristics pursuant to section 44 of the Teachers and Educational

Personnel Council Act B.E. 2003

• Having improper behavior or immorality

• Being an incompetent or quasi-incompetent person

• Having been sentenced to imprisonment in any case, in the opinion of the Teachers Council of

Thailand, which may bring dishonor upon the profession.

5. Have experience in teaching with not less than 1 yea

How strange is that!!!

Archived