Routers with Linux

Katia

I did some searching on the topic, but most of the threads I found with recs for routers were about ten years old.

I'll be moving to Bangkok soon and will be looking for a router. I'm not sure yet who I will be using for internet. I'd like both wireless and wired capabilities (my laptop will actually probably spend most of its time plugged in; I treat it as a desktop most of the time).

I'm running Fedora on a laptop (it'll be 23 once I get past my backup/update issues), and will also want to connect phones (Droid 3, possibly another cheap smartphone if I get a second one) and a cheap tablet (probably a Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 8). What router would you recommend to work best with this setup and Thai ISPs? I'd prefer not to have to fiddle with it too much to get it working. I don't need anything really high-end, top-of-the-line fast; I don't plan on streaming movies, doing any online gaming, etc. (I'll mostly be surfing the net, Skype, etc.). I would really prefer not to spend big bucks, but will spend what I have to to get something that isn't crappy, buggy, insecure, etc.

I assume I can buy a router in the U.S. before I leave and it will work okay (I have easy access to a MicroCenter)? Or should I wait and get one in-country? Is there anything special in terms of features that I will need to get it to work in Thailand?

Thanks!

You can get all sort of good routers here for less then 50.00. Try the one that comes with your connection first - often just fine. See what problems you have with that and solve them rather then guessing what they might be when you get here. Most that come with connect have a deposit so if you just put it back in the box and hang on to it you can use what ever else you want - you may have fiber, cable or adsl so wait and find out how and what your your connecting to before you worry about how the router is.

Thanks, I'll see what comes with my connection first. A coworker seemed to suggest that there weren't many ISP options outside of True, so I may well end up with that.

Part of my aim in getting a router in the U.S. is so I can also use it when I'm back in a few years Is there anything special about Thai internet that I'll need to watch out for in the specs in case I buy here to take over? (I'm already planning to look for probably an Asus/Linksys/maybe Netgear dual-band/802.11ac/possibly Gigabit for the wired connection/supports WPA2 which I assume will be fine over there?)

Archived