Youth, 15, shot in the head "a case of mistaken identity"

webfact

Known to the police and still left to continue his criminal actions (even by a police post) that has now resulted in the loss of an innocent kid. There no will to keep the bad guys off the street.

Could be that the shooter is "known" by the BiB, for any number of things, like public drunkeness, which is barely criminal, so making suggestions such as " still left to continue his criminal actions" is akin to an uninformed "hang em high" verdict.

With the given information, there seems no justification to belittle the BiB, who, post crime, are now hunting the (alleged) known shooter, just as is often the case, wherever in this wide world that you care to look.

And then, in those other (often "free world") places, the shooters ( or whatever... Rapists all too often, from media reports) are then released on bail to reoffend, or given small sentences, often reduced automatically for simply attending, before being released early, again to perhaps reoffend

So... Just maybe... Same same, different country... Though do keep your finger poised, such that your ready to go, when the BiB fumble the ball, and perhaps admit they knew of prior violent acts (vindicating your POV), unless, of course, the "police post" that you referenced, has already, unbeknown to myself, done just that.

Allthough, that said, I do agree that jumping in, boots an' all, is a hallmark of us TV readers, so have at it, and perhaps some Thai readers can keep us informed as things develop ( or get covered up)

Until then... We await an arrest and attendant attempted homicide charge, coupled with occasionning grievous bodily harm times two, etc etc

Not a good look , the young man will have nightmares for years, maybe the rest of his life, he is very lucky and his friend to have escaped with being wounded, generally the sleep is eternal , whether mistaken identity or not , this kind of offence is happening far too frequently and it is certainly no consolation to the one it was intended for , now he has nightmares as well, the RTP needs to find out why.............................................coffee1.gif .

The why is. That young children that have been playing graphic violent video games since 5 years old, have now grown up. They have become desensitised to murder, or violent attacks. The video game is no longer a thrill. The real action will give them the adrenaline that they now crave. I expect to see this happening in a daily basis.

Keep your head down.

Not a good look , the young man will have nightmares for years, maybe the rest of his life, he is very lucky and his friend to have escaped with being wounded, generally the sleep is eternal , whether mistaken identity or not , this kind of offence is happening far too frequently and it is certainly no consolation to the one it was intended for , now he has nightmares as well, the RTP needs to find out why.............................................coffee1.gif .

I got shot by an angry Lebanese ex soldier in Australia when I was 15, back in the 1980's. My old mates that I was with at the time laugh about it and we think that if it happened now I would have been given counseling etc.

But I can honestly say it didn't affect me mentally , I never had a nightmare about it.

At that age I actually reveled in the attention.

I understand why you would think that, but in my case it didn't bother me.,

I was actually more concerned how my parents would react, Dad was cool, mum was horrified.

Police said that Theeraphat had no issues with any other students in the area and think it was a case of mistaken identity''

So they have no evidence that this was mistaken identity then, just an assumption [well guess].

... think it was a case of mistaken identity.

What's wrong with thinking something to be the case until more information is obtained. Police make assumptions, and state that they are simply assumptions when pressured by the media, everywhere in the world based on what they learn at a crime scene. With more solid evidence those assumptions can be modified.

Thursday must be assumption day

I got shot by an angry Lebanese ex soldier in Australia when I was 15, back in the 1980's. My old mates that I was with at the time laugh about it and we think that if it happened now I would have been given counseling etc.

But I can honestly say it didn't affect me mentally , I never had a nightmare about it.

At that age I actually reveled in the attention.

I understand why you would think that, but in my case it didn't bother me.,

I was actually more concerned how my parents would react, Dad was cool, mum was horrified.

Something to tell your grankids about on a quiet night

Police said that Theeraphat had no issues with any other students in the area and think it was a case of mistaken identity.

So, it would have been perfectly acceptable to shoot the right boy in the head then?

Just shoot random kids, you'll get the right one eventually.

Morons.

Would be good if after finding the perpetrator the authorities shot him in the head.

Unfortunately as a species we put way too much value on life.

Police said that Theeraphat had no issues with any other students in the area and think it was a case of mistaken identity

So, it would have been perfectly acceptable to shoot the right boy in the head then?

"So, it would have been perfectly acceptable to shoot the right boy in the head then?"

Why would you suggest that? The police certainly didn't suggest it.

Most Thais don't get sarchasm either.

Urban Dictionary: sarchasm
www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sarchasm

sarchasm. the gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Minburi is well known for its student gangs and rivalry - could it be the increased Muslim population in that area??

WOW, didn't see that coming!

Would you care to explain further? What is the Muslim population now, and what has it increased from?

How are the Muslim population linked to student shootings? Is it a Quran thing do you think? How do you know the shooter was a Muslim? Did he shout Allah Akbar as he pulled the trigger? Not in the story I read.

Or is it just an unjustified, small minded, bigoted slur on a perfectly innocent group of Thai citizens who just happen to follow a religion you have an issue with?

Police said that Theeraphat had no issues with any other students in the area and think it was a case of mistaken identity.

Morons.

Would be good if after finding the perpetrator the authorities shot him in the head.

That’s on the path towards vigilantism, wouldn’t you also say? But, then, I think you’re probably just throwing a dash of banter into the mix.
Because of the widespread murders and other violence, together with reckless or insufficient regard to safe practices, posters often go on about not enough value put on life here. Every country, especially Thailand, needs a judicial system, penal system, and rehabilitation enterprises that work and societies need to address the causes of the prevalent criminal intent underlying serious offenders.

Morons.

That’s on the path towards vigilantism, wouldn’t you also say? But, then, I think you’re probably just throwing a dash of banter into the mix.
Because of the widespread murders and other violence, posters often go on about not enough value put on life here. Every country, especially Thailand, needs a judicial system, penal system, and rehabilitation enterprises that work and societies need to address the causes of the prevalent criminal intent underlying serious offenders.

I'm not advocating vigilantism, I fully support the rule of law and believe there should be due process.

However, I also believe there are too many people in the world, far too many of whom are pointless wastes of oxygen

I also do not subscribe to the view that life is sacred.

Why as a society do we sentence people to years in prison? Just execute them.

Eventually people will learn to stop committing serious crimes and the ones who don't are not useful members of society anyway. So who cares if they get executed.

Police advice: could you ask before you fire?

Heck of a lot better than US police motto: shoot first & ask questions later. biggrin.png

It’s not that simple. It’s unusual for a US police officer to flout the strict rules of firearm engagement, which leads to placing themselves liable for prosecution. There’s a use of force continuum, having deadly force as a last resort.

Sometimes I think US police overact; sometimes I wish they'd more often wound to prevent mobility, but maybe they'd rather err on the side of caution...after all, a murderer on the run or desperate gun brandishing offender is a loose cannon.

I believe the issue becomes a little clearer by the U.S. Supreme Court’s degree in 1985, which says that "deadly force...may not be used unless necessary to prevent the escape and the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a significant threat of death or serious bodily harm to the officer or others."

Morons.

if only the victim had been a dog , then it could have gone "viral"coffee1.gif and real inaction could have been taken

Police said that Theeraphat had no issues with any other students in the area and think it was a case of mistaken identity''

So they have no evidence that this was mistaken identity then, just an assumption [well guess].

They have no evidence? Says who? Did it occur to you that they may have spoken to the victim and know that he had no problems with the student who shot him?

The assumption, well, guess, is yours.

I can't read Thai so I was assuming someone who had been shot in the head could not be interrogated.

Police said that Theeraphat had no issues with any other students in the area and think it was a case of mistaken identity

"So, it would have been perfectly acceptable to shoot the right boy in the head then?"

Yeah, but this IS the land of Non-Smiling, in fact eternally grumpy farangs, who always know better than the Thai police or any other Thai, and even what they're thinking and intend to do next, right??? All a bit tiringly reminsiscent of, say, endless Grouches a'la Sesame Street, upping sticks to basically go call all their NEW neighbours 'muppets' (whilst usually also inferring - or just outright whining! - how 'normal' it all was, is, back home!!!) Just a thought. thumbsup.gifwai.gif

Yeah, but this IS the land of Non-Smiling, in fact eternally grumpy farangs, who always know better than the Thai police or any other Thai, and even what they're thinking and intend to do next, right??? All a bit tiringly reminsiscent of, say, endless Grouches a'la Sesame Street, upping sticks to basically go call all their NEW neighbours 'muppets' (whilst usually also inferring - or just outright whining! - how 'normal' it all was, is, back home!!!) Just a thought. thumbsup.gifwai.gif

No, it really isn't.

Archived