Where can I get a cast iron skillet in Bangkok?

talberry2

I have been everywhere I can think of--to the department store in the mall, to Foodland, Big C...cannot find a cast-iron skillet anywhere (well, a normal one--the department store had one sort of like it, but it was coated with that non-stick crap, which I don't want. I just want a normal cast-iron skillet that has absolutely no coating added to it). Any suggestions?

I have been everywhere I can think of--to the department store in the mall, to Foodland, Big C...cannot find a cast-iron skillet anywhere (well, a normal one--the department store had one sort of like it, but it was coated with that non-stick crap, which I don't want. I just want a normal cast-iron skillet that has absolutely no coating added to it). Any suggestions?

Rim Ping has them at the larger stores....

nevermind. I looked this up. I'm not familiar with all this 'seasoning' stuff, as I never have used cast iron pans before. But some recipes i'll be doing require the use of this...so I guess now is the learning process :D

• 7 months later...
24 minutes ago, BrysonHampton said:

Suggestion:

Buy a modern design skillet for outstanding heat distribution. This is ultimate for deep searing and will especially ensure that the steak you cook will remain succulent.

Or Sous-Vide it at 50C then flash fry the outside....:shock1:

3 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

if ye wanna go super deluxe (and super expensive) there is le creuset to be found in Thailand...enamelled cast iron, can't be beat...

For a skillet usage.... actually the standard cast-iron skillet is a better choice for "seasoned" cooks.

Equipment Review: The Best Traditional and Enameled Cast-Iron Skillets

5 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

For a skillet usage.... actually the standard cast-iron skillet is a better choice for "seasoned" cooks.

Equipment Review: The Best Traditional and Enameled Cast-Iron Skillets

yeah...I havta admit that I only ever used le creuset sauce pans and casseroles that belonged to others, couldn't afford them...in the past I had two splendid 12" cast iron skillets that got left behind with others as I moved on...cooked everything from scrambled eggs to chili with beans, spaghetti sauces, etc...perfect fer heating up corn tortillas fer breakfast after the eggs were cooked...

in the US new cast iron cookware is easy to find and relatively cheap...if yer real lucky you'll find a nice used seasoned one at a garage sale...found a really bitchen cast iron casserole with lid that way once, the oblong type...

20 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

yeah...I havta admit that I only ever used le creuset sauce pans and casseroles that belonged to others, couldn't afford them...in the past I had two splendid 12" cast iron skillets that got left behind with others as I moved on...cooked everything from scrambled eggs to chili with beans, spaghetti sauces, etc...perfect fer heating up corn tortillas fer breakfast after the eggs were cooked...

in the US new cast iron cookware is easy to find and relatively cheap...if yer real lucky you'll find a nice used seasoned one at a garage sale...found a really bitchen cast iron casserole with lid that way once, the oblong type...

I remember buying a fairly good cast iron frying pan in San Diego in a hardware store of all places.... for just under $20 at the time (probably around the year 2000).....  better than many much more expensive options to fry in.  

Archived