Hiking trails in Pai without a tour guide

stargazer9999

I hike a lot on Doi Suthep in CM but in Pai I know of no hiking trails that are free. Most people hiking mountains in Pai are doing an organized trekking tour. Does anyone know any trails up the mountains that surround Pai that don't charge a fee?

The travel agencies will happily book you a trekking trip for a fee. The agency gets a commission and the trekking tour guide(s) walks with you on a boring trail and serves you bad food on occasion. Oh, and you get to see authentic hill tribe people who hide their satellite dishes while you visit.

Follow some trekking guides whos leave in the morning with customers. You will see where the trek start. Good luck not getting lost.

Or just drive around and look paths or trails.

If you want good tour here is company named "Pai rapid Rangers"

My guess is that most of the trails are free but that the cost of not getting lost on said trails is the cost of a guide. Short hikes are probably doable, but longer hikes, well I have seen many a trek guide take a wrong path down to some hill farmer's garden.

I have a friend who lives up there and takes his motor bike up to the MANY hill tribe villages. He reckons there are more people living in then than Pai.

They are not as previously described. Take a bike and explore then you will have a rough idea where to go for hiking.

I always use at least one GPS app when I do new hikes. I highly recommend Maprika which was actually invented for skiers to know where they are and find their friends easily. It allows you to track your Trek with a red line and save the track for later. Even if you lose AIS reception and can't see your map 'live' anymore you can walk backwards along the red line to where you started. It's great!

Talked to my friend in Pai. He says there are lots of guides there. Also lots of people just ride their motor bikes out there and see a trail and go hiking on it. He says that this being the rainy season to be sure to carry a stick as it does seem to bring the snakes out. Also the Dengue fever from the mosquitos is bad up there. so bring lots of repellant.

northernjohn,

Thanks for your reply. The point is that I don't want guides. It's really not the money as much I like privacy when I hike. I've been hiking in the jungle here for about 17 years and it's usually alone or sometimes turning friends on to nice hikes.

For the record if anyone download's Maprika one great feature is the ability to save maps offline. That means you don't have to worry about phone internet service which is often weak in the places I like to hike.

I'm heading back from 3 days in Pai to CM tomorrow. Didn't find my great hiking spot yet but I'm getting closer. I talk to the locals a lot but Thais aren't famous for their mountain hiking desires.

The funny thing today was when i was at a lame waterfall a German and Dutch person asked me if I knew the area. I said I knew a bit. They asked where could they go for a great hike! I pointed to the path leading up the mountain in a farm and said that's as good as any trail I know. They did the hike and messaged me that they survived. Beers tonight to maybe see their pix.

You might try the back road from Pai to Wieng Hang through the Huai Nam Deng National Park. Main access road is just north of Pai on the east side of the river. There are a number of Karen villages up that way where you should be able to find some hiking paths with some views. But it would be safer and more fun to track down a local Karen to serve as interpreter and guide. Many of the roads that the mountain motorcyclists use can be found on the GT-Rider MHS Loop map, an essential possession for anyone living in Lanna Land regardless of preferred mode of transportation. Last time I rode from Wieng Hang to Pai I think I encountered all of two other vehicles between the paved sections.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived