how to protect yourself (and others) from soi dogs.

Reading this felt like Deja Vu and then I remembered this thread

Dog repellent

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ethaivisa%2Ecom%2Fforum%2Findex%2Ephp%3F%2Ftopic%2F841451-Dog-repellent&share_tid=841451&share_fid=29570&share_type=t

Can't anyone use the search feature anymore, or in this case just scroll a little bit further down?

Sent from my turnip using Tapatalk

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pepper spray and a baton fine is only 100 THB + seizure by Police if not used to defend yourself.

However, if used in defense against a dog or human, no fine and no seizure.

I confirmed the above with the local Thai police and the tourist police.

Many Thais carry a long bamboo stick and no doubt that will work.

Generally if you stop, face them and raise both arms up in the air and stand your ground they stop.

Keep, standing your ground and stare at them and they will get confused walk around and in time become submissive.

If they keep coming step to one side just before contact and kick them as hard as you can in the neck.

If they get up and come again side step and another hard kick to the neck.

If they grab on to your shirt, grab a front leg an break it over your knee.

Never let a running dog leap up and hit you in the chest as the dog's weight at full speed could cause you to go down on your back and there there will be bites to the throat, neck and face.

Always step to the right or the left to avoid contact.

A knife blade in the dog's neck works well if necessary.

On foot simply bend down to pick up a stone. It doesn't matter if there is no stone available. Simply the act of bending will discourage all dogs.

Works all over the world. On a bike just keep going.

What happens if you are peddling up a hill?

They only chase you but never bite and if you stop they will stop to and loose interest. I find it that thai dogs seems to be very afraid of long sticks for some reason. If a dog is bothering me ill just pick up a stick and raise it high and make some sounds and they will walk away. You should never run though. If a dog bites, grab their ears firmly and twist then as hard as you can. They will let go and be submissive. Hitting a agressive ticked dog wont help.

I admit. Dogs can be pretty scary in thailand. Especially stray dogs in packs on dark nights or early mornings.

"They only chase you but never bite" - completely incorrect. Several bike-riding friends in my town have ended up in hospital with foot-wounds. One of them even had the front to go back to the house where the dog had run out from, and presented them with the hospital bill - they paid ! (but it was only 800 baht).

I have two bottle cages on my bike. One bottle has an inch or so of vinegar with ground red pepper in it. Never been bothered by the same dog twice. Same idea as ammonia above. I also like the deodorant spray idea, but vinegar is cheap and available in my kitchen.

Stun gun , pepper spray, they work , can buy all over Thailand, u don't have to use stun gun, noise is enuf they run off, I was surrounded by 6 of the Beasts with GF, gave a lil buzz, off they went, best 500 baht I ever spent and no rabies shots btw bought them at International Market Nong Khai, kinda police gear shop , near the end toward temple on right hand side, also Police Shop in Udon across from Centrepoint night market, 2nd row after women's clothes shops

Imho, most of you are over-reacting and increasing your risk of injury. I've cycled about 100,000 kms in Thailand and have been chased by plenty of dogs, but only two or three times did I actually think I might be bitten. Just slow down a little and remain calm. I realize that's tough advice to follow. The risk isn't that the dog will bite. It's that while you are reaching for the stick, the gun, the squirt bottle, etc, or trying to kick the dog, you're not paying attention to the road. Dog bites are very rare. But I know many cyclists who have crashed because of dogs chasing them from behind. Some were seriously injured. That's the risk you want to avoid.

Kicking at dogs and staring at them are aggressive moves that will invoke a more aggressive response from most dogs. I can't see how that will improve the situation.

Village Farang is definitely the Voice of Reason.

Maybe the dogs in my area are different but I never seem to have a problem. I dont really mind a dog barking and dont go out of my way to provoke a bite by putting my foot in their mouths. I may coast along a bit with the peddle in the raised position while I talk to the dog in question. If need be I will stop and try to make friends.

I ride anywhere from 50 to 100 km and I am old so I am not worried about my split-times and dont mind slowing down if that is what is required. I have never hurt a dog and never been bitten.

You are are very fortunate.

The Sunday rides I take part in have on several occasions been attacked by packs of stray dogs.

There is a huge difference between being a tacked by one or two dogs and being attacked by a pack of dogs.

Your past past history of never having hurt a dog or mever having been injured by a dog is utterly irrelavent when you have a pack of dogs chasing and encircling you.

I only mention my past history to suggest it is not blind luck which has allowed me to ride without incident. Maybe country dogs are more well mannered or the large packs which often guard a herd of cattle or buffalo are less ferocious than their city brethren. Then again my attitude might have something to do with it. I am willing to adjust my behavior to get along with the dogs I encounter.

It is my opinion that the human male bravado which is supposed to intimidate dogs, is actually seen as fear aggression and a sign of weakness by dogs.

If I read what all this crazy guys here wrote, I understand why the animal cruelty law is now much harder as before. I hope someone do the same with you what you suggested to do with the dogs!!!

If you really have problems with a dog, buy a small pack of dog food. Stop in front of him and give him a little bit. After 2-3 days they stop to try biting you!!! They wanna be your best friends!!!

It not give areason to hit or kick a dog, give electro shots or acid to him. People who do this are <deleted> <deleted>!!!

If I read what all this crazy guys here wrote, I understand why the animal cruelty law is now much harder as before. I hope someone do the same with you what you suggested to do with the dogs!!!

If you really have problems with a dog, buy a small pack of dog food. Stop in front of him and give him a little bit. After 2-3 days they stop to try biting you!!! They wanna be your best friends!!!

It not give areason to hit or kick a dog, give electro shots or acid to him. People who do this are <deleted> <deleted>!!!

Works better with Xylitol sweetener added.

They love that.

read again, geezus, the noise scares them, u don't shock them

REad what again? The tips for the sticks to hit or Pepper spray, Kicking them, electric cattle prod, squirt gun with amonnia, ...????

If someone not hurt them I not speak something but all the other crazy shit, .... make me speakless!!! I hope someone see this bastards and report it to the police!!!

What the most not understand is: "This dogs just protect their place against invaders (you)!!!" Nothing other!!!

If you be nice to they, they would be nice to you!!! Give they a little bit snacks and they want love you!!!

If you be aggressive they do the same!!!

REad what again? The tips for the sticks to hit or Pepper spray, Kicking them, electric cattle prod, squirt gun with amonnia, ...????

If someone not hurt them I not speak something but all the other crazy shit, .... make me speakless!!! I hope someone see this bastards and report it to the police!!!

What the most not understand is: "This dogs just protect their place against invaders (you)!!!" Nothing other!!!

If you be nice to they, they would be nice to you!!! Give they a little bit snacks and they want love you!!!

The public road is not "their" place, it is "our" place.

Geddit?

Geddit?

actually you are incorrect the word public should tell you it belongs to the government who allow the public to use it which means the said public who have dogs are in fact allowed to take there dogs onto the road. Albeit on a lead. Now I have 3 dogs who never get out onto the road but when someone or something comes close to our gate do as I want them to and howl. If I ever saw anyone using a stick or spray or anything against my dogs I would repay the mindless moron double fold.

Geddit?

l. If I ever saw anyone using a stick or spray or anything against my dogs I would repay the mindless moron double fold.

Keep your dogs under control when they're on public land and it shouldn't be an issue.

Geddit?

l. If I ever saw anyone using a stick or spray or anything against my dogs I would repay the mindless moron double fold.

Keep your dogs under control when they're on public land and it shouldn't be an issue.

Did you in fact read my post before you took a section off it.

Geddit?

actually you are incorrect the word public should tell you it belongs to the government who allow the public to use it which means the said public who have dogs are in fact allowed to take there dogs onto the road. Albeit on a lead. Now I have 3 dogs who never get out onto the road but when someone or something comes close to our gate do as I want them to and howl. If I ever saw anyone using a stick or spray or anything against my dogs I would repay the mindless moron double fold.

I do not understand your issue. Maybe you have forgotten to take the pills today.

If your dogs are kept inside a gate and always on a lead outside, then nobody is going to bother about the barking except the neighbours. Who may be a little fed up with the noise if your pack of hounds bark the whole night at the slightest sign of somebody 100 metres away.

I used to live in a Soi like that.

I never understood why the poor dogs kept dying. I was very sympathetic with the bereaved, and tried my very best to console them and work out why.

We never did find out.

In my experience, "wrong dogs" have a relatively short time on this earth.

Wrong people too!!! You can read it almost every day!!!

The point is that you are a human with "in normal" a higher IQ as a dog!!! But your statements let me think about it!!!

If you forget it, we are in Thailand!!! Not in Europe or USA or Australia, ... or ...!!!! Here the most dog owners don't own a dog. They just feed it. But the dogs protect the places where they live against intruders. If you come there, you will be a intruder. You can try to explain it to the dogs but I think they not understand it!!! The IQ thing!!! 555

So if you show that you are a good guy and give them a snack you don't wanna be a intruder.

Very easy!!! But some humans think .... to stupid to write more!!!

In my experience, "wrong dogs" have a relatively short time on this earth.

Wrong people too!!! You can read it almost every day!!!

The point is that you are a human with "in normal" a higher IQ as a dog!!! But your statements let me think about it!!!

Sorry, but I am having some difficultly in comprehending the meaning of the last two sentences.

I tried Google Translate, but it left me just as bewildered.

clap2.gif

Be happy that here are at most only small dogs in the streets and not Pitbulls, American Staffords, German Shepherds!!!

I can only advise you to give a snack to the dogs and not hit they. If I saw it, I would give you the right answer!!! As a farang it would be very expensive now!!!

Archived