Brit blacklisted for 5 years for overstay

Rimmer

Rules are rules, jspill. There will always be more serious crimes but if the government doesn't start somewhere then anarchy reins. Simple as.

Other governments in the area make visa extensions simple and easy, done within the country. Go figure.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Overstay BS.

Who cares. coffee1.gif

Some real nasty crime out there, BIB,

go sort it out, its right under your nose facepalm.gif

Often being paid right into their bank accounts.

Yeah you don't usually see these overstay thread posters complaining about much more serious crimes.

Really they don't actually care about 'the law is the law' as they break laws all the time themselves.

It's just about not wanting too many people coming to live here making them feel less unique. Since they had to wait until they were retirement age to get to Asia. The world has changed though.

One of England's finest no doubt...enjoy those Blighty winters for the next 5 years tongue.png

Where did it say he's English?

Can you read? The headline says Brit man blacklisted for 5 years. Is British English? I wonder sometimes.

Back to school for you I'm afraid. British is not necessarily English, it may alternatively be Scots, Welsh or Northern Irish. Englishman are all British but not v.v.

Is that put simply enough for you?

I really do wonder sometimes.

Overstay BS.

Who cares. coffee1.gif

Some real nasty crime out there, BIB,

go sort it out, its right under your nose facepalm.gif

Often being paid right into their bank accounts.

Yeah you don't usually see these overstay thread posters complaining about much more serious crimes.

Really they don't actually care about 'the law is the law' as they break laws all the time themselves.

It's just about not wanting too many people coming to live here making them feel less unique. Since they had to wait until they were retirement age to get to Asia. The world has changed though.

Wrong again dude. You certainly ASSume alot and sure seem threatened by your elders. And that's a ridiculous jump to a stupid conclusion that the more experienced than you don't really care about the law. Asinine in fact.

I'm still not to retirement age...just retired early and been here more than not for 25 years.

There are many laws I disagree with...especially the one that prohibits us buying alcohol from 2-5pm, but I abide by it. They make the laws and we are expected to follow them, same as everyone else. ALL laws...not just the ones we agree with.

Fair cop I'd say. He got caught overstaying his visa (or exemption) - lots more haven't but that's up to them.

The rules exist. In many other countries the same or similar rules exist.

I don't know the guy but I hope it works out - wherever.

Still like to know how anyone can behave oddly on the walking street.

So Woody1, you think immigration police dealing with someone illegally in LOS is out of order in your opinion....?

No, I don't.

But what I KNOW is a 3 month overstay does not warrant a 5 year blacklisting!

Also, all forms of BiB should be focusing their efforts on serious crime; daily shootings, speed boat accidents, serious drug offenders, and drink drivers (who alone have killed 3 people in the last 3 days)!

Why should the police bother with Thai criminals doing the daily dirt when many are broke and there are Frangs to fleece? Those who likely still have money in the ATM, especially when facing IDC. Bail payments ($$), Court case expedite Fees, ($$), Bonded transport to deportation flights ($$). Various and sundry adds up to nice little earners. The RT story about Pakistani Christians said even IDC is a moneymaker, with special accom for those who can pay.

Funny how the birds and bees can go wherever they like. Yet we humans have to justify being in a particular place or get deported or incarcerated. We've lost so many basic human rights. Amazing how many people support this. I do understand the argument about safety and security though. I can see that illegal immigrants are more likely to be involved in crime or even terrorism. Bit of a shame people can't just live where they want to live.

Seems to me Thais don't like tourists very much anyway no big loss other Asian countries will be available to him. Maybe its cheaper to overstay take a risk get sent home than trying to renew visa every 90 days. No buggy go to Vietnam Cambodia Philippines plenty of countries to choose from

yup and you pickup your 1 year visa from the embassy or the airport with all your dignity, wondering why some people are still heading to Thailand.

Maybe he is flat broke and just took a chance. But its not the crime of the year is it? A little bit of jealisy here I think ' I payy dues, so should he' kind of thing. He was overstayed got caught will be sent home big deal a few days in the nick nor nice but not life threatening either. He will go home start his life over. Not too old get a job save up and go somewhere else.if I was illegal I would not frequent a place where immigration keep watch was a bit dumb but hwy so what

Start life over?

Could be, like many many others (including myself, at least three times), he took time "off" work to travel, and decided he was having too much fun here, so stayed, rather than continue on to Australia or NZ (where a lot work illegally, as seasonal fruit packers, for example)

If this is the case, then he may well have a valid onward bound ticket, which may allow him to travel onwards as planned... Vs purchasing a new ticket...

I did notice a comment stating that the bloke would require a non stop flight back to Blighty, but if he already has an out, albeit delayed, surely that's still useable, is it not?

One of England's finest no doubt...enjoy those Blighty winters for the next 5 years tongue.png

Just got back from a couple of weeks visiting the relatives in England with my daughter and grandson via Thailand. It was a great time in the UK. The people were friendly, the transportation system worked well, the costs were reasonable considering everyone had to make a living. Had the whole range of weather from snow in Hyde Park to short sleeve shirt in Halesworth. We stayed in Bangkok on the way over and the way back. Stinking hot but good fun at some water park. I must admit I like having 4 seasons and Blighty is not so bad. Had a bit of trouble convincing some Poms in San Roy Yod of this but all in all I would prefer to live in England than Thailand if I had to choose.

Rules are rules, jspill. There will always be more serious crimes but if the government doesn't start somewhere then anarchy reins. Simple as.

Other governments in the area make visa extensions simple and easy, done within the country. Go figure.

Now you're talking nonsense. The guy didn't bother with an extension so totally moot point.

Does he have to go back to the uk or any country ?

Yes back to country of origin. He has to pay for the ticket and meet the fine or stays in IDC indefinitely. IDC is not a place you want to be. I believe they sleep many to a room. There are toilet and showers at the pack which are not sealed off from rest of room. There are fights on a daily basis. Sometimes exercise is cancelled for days at a time. Inmates are given a hard boiled egg every day, and soup broth in the evening. I believe they are given a certain amount of money monthly for extras. I'm not sure who gives this to them. There is a shop where they can buy basic items. Incredibly the food is more expensive than out on the streets. People can end up staying for months or years, and there are no specific grounds accepted for exception, including chronic medical conditions.

Funny how the birds and bees can go wherever they like. Yet we humans have to justify being in a particular place or get deported or incarcerated. We've lost so many basic human rights. Amazing how many people support this. I do understand the argument about safety and security though. I can see that illegal immigrants are more likely to be involved in crime or even terrorism. Bit of a shame people can't just live where they want to live.

Birds and bees can't just go were they like.

Some countries used to have shotguns waiting for migrating birds, whilst some bee species are actively hunted down and exterminated (deportation seems a better option)

And... Migrating, or traveling thru a new land has always been difficult for people, and is hardly a loss of a basic human right, as it never was a right, demonstrated by the fact that country borders have always been protected, usually by armed guards.

Arguably, traveling is easier now than ever before... And as a foreigner (in any country), justifying your reason for being anywhere, is not unreasonable IMHO.

Also, I do wonder why you claim that illegal immigrants are more likely to commit crimes... I would have thought the opposite, and "home grown" terrorists now seem to be more of a worry to authorities than travelers.

How much is a cheap ticket to UK he can borrow from family its fairly cheap. Chiang mai seems OK but Pattaya seems to be a violent unfriendly place for a foreigner. Not quite so keen on Thailand after what I see on TV I thought Philippines was a dangerous place but its nowhere near as violent for foreigners as Thailand.

No cheap ticket to the UK for him. He will only be allowed to fly direct, usually THAI

Hw cannot fly cheap because he will not be allowed to have a stop anywhere to prevent him absconding.

Absconding from what?

He overstayed in Thailand, OK fair enough he broke the law he pays the penalty.

He can go where he wants if he has a visa for his destination.

Birds and bees can't just go were they like.

Some countries used to have shotguns waiting for migrating birds, whilst some bee species are actively hunted down and exterminated (deportation seems a better option)

And... Migrating, or traveling thru a new land has always been difficult for people, and is hardly a loss of a basic human right, as it never was a right, demonstrated by the fact that country borders have always been protected, usually by armed guards.

Arguably, traveling is easier now than ever before... And as a foreigner (in any country), justifying your reason for being anywhere, is not unreasonable IMHO.

Also, I do wonder why you claim that illegal immigrants are more likely to commit crimes... I would have thought the opposite, and "home grown" terrorists now seem to be more of a worry to authorities than travelers.

The fact that some people interfere with natural rights does not make it ok, quite the contrary. I'm talking about what appears to be natural law. I rather think this argument will fall on deaf ears. Likewise, whether it has always been difficult or not is no argument at all. Illegal immigrants are more likely to be driven, or coerced in to crime because of their precarious finances- try staying law abiding if you've got no food or money.

Ultimately, of course, practicalities of life must win through, but it strikes me we surrender our rights far too easily. Maybe most don't care, that is also their right of course.

So he was stopped for "behaving oddly"?

That must apply to quite a few foreigners in Thailand....

We'll no doubt be missing lectures here about how a successful "digital nomad" can come to Thailand and "learn things" on the internet and stay in expensive hotel rooms, which makes him smarter than us.

Sad, we won't have this fountain of wisdom around anymore, 555

How much is a cheap ticket to UK he can borrow from family its fairly cheap. Chiang mai seems OK but Pattaya seems to be a violent unfriendly place for a foreigner. Not quite so keen on Thailand after what I see on TV I thought Philippines was a dangerous place but its nowhere near as violent for foreigners as Thailand.

No cheap ticket to the UK for him. He will only be allowed to fly direct, usually THAI

Hw cannot fly cheap because he will not be allowed to have a stop anywhere to prevent him absconding.

Absconding from what?

Other destinations may not look favourably upon him now that his passport bears the red stamp of shame (persona non grata).

Absconding from what?

Other destinations may not look favourably upon him now that his passport bears the red stamp of shame (persona non grata).

Fair enough, but that is their decision to make, not mine, not yours, and not Thailands.

So he was stopped for "behaving oddly"?

That must apply to quite a few foreigners in Thailand....

We'll no doubt be missing lectures here about how a successful "digital nomad" can come to Thailand and "learn things" on the internet and stay in expensive hotel rooms, which makes him smarter than us.

Sad, we won't have this fountain of wisdom around anymore, 555

I m surely smarter than the majority. I will spent 7500 bahts for the month of June.

nice condo, nice food, ....I spend probably 12x less and have a better life than in Europe.

What makes you think he has to stay in the UK?

Exactly! As long as he has money he can go anywhere. Cambodia is not too far away and the weather is nice there to.

The truth is that if you don't have Family Ties in Thailand, being Blacklisted here for 5 years is not going to hurt the violator very much at all or a big deal. Some Oil & Gas Worker on a 28/28 who comes to Thailand for a piss-up until his next job could care less if he gets Blacklisted. He will just wait out his time in another country and place like Cambodia.

So the questions arises that if you are not targeting the vacationer who comes on a 90 Visa and stays 120, or the Oil & Gas Worker with more time off than normal, who are they targeting? I would like to believe it is illegal workers but it doesn't seem to be the case. I don't read much about Police doing a raid on factory workers checking for working papers, but they sure seem to hit the bars a lot and Walking Street.

Or is it someone who is doing criminal activity, like drug smuggling or pushing drug? Seems to be it is an better idea to catch him at this, and also catch his contacts then just kick him out of the country. Personally I don't see Overstaying tightly linked to crime activity or breaking immigration laws. No more than normal anyway.

I think it has more to do with a tourist or visitor coming here, and deciding he wants to stay longer, but finds it difficult to do that without having to leave the country for a day. So if they made staying longer easier, then I believe many of the Overstays would disappear. Many countries have 6 month Visa's.

It may not make news but factory raids definitely happen. Just more chance to pay the on-the-spot fine in those situations I guess.

yes, factory raids happen but they are looking for Cambodians and Burmese. Any factory that employs 100+ workers will get a work permit for any expat management. It's not expensive and easy when you have 100's or 1000's of workers. We have about 150 workers at our factory and never had an issue getting the a B visa and work permit issued for the 3 expats we have. We have been very careful to only hire Thai's.

"after they witnessed him behaving oddly." I wanna know what exactly that comprises of? Did he walk a "John Cleese" funny walk? Did he quack like a duck or pick like a chicken? Did he dance the Polka in the middle of the street? Just so I know what to avoid doing not to get stopped and harassed by the men in brown.....

I guess he tried to make himself invisible when he saw the immigration officers - but failed.

So Woody1, you think immigration police dealing with someone illegally in LOS is out of order in your opinion....?

No, I don't.

Also, all forms of BiB should be focusing their efforts on serious crime; daily shootings, speed boat accidents, serious drug offenders, and drink drivers (who alone have killed 3 people in the last 3 days)!

Do a 3 month overstay in the USA and see if you ever get back in legally. Thailand has announced this for over a year, so when given so many chances to clear an overstay up before the blacklist went into effect and making everyone aware of the new blacklist law then blacklisting for 5 years for a 3 month overstay is warranted. This kid knowingly overstayed and either had no money to fix the situation or just didn't care. Also immigration and BIB are two different departments. Thats like saying the firemen should do something about crime.

No, I don't.

Do a 3 month overstay in the USA and see if you ever get back in legally. Thailand has announced this for over a year, so when given so many chances to clear an overstay up before the blacklist went into effect and making everyone aware of the new blacklist law then blacklisting for 5 years for a 3 month overstay is warranted. This kid knowingly overstayed and either had no money to fix the situation or just didn't care. Also immigration and BIB are two different departments. Thats like saying the firemen should do something about crime.

I guess there's a part of us that has to think this way to avoid trouble. If he's guilty of anything it's not looking after his own interests. Effectively, then because he doesn't have enough money to stay, he is criminalized, worse still jailed in bad conditions. And even if he has the money he is prevented from going where he chooses. The UN nations Charter of Human Rights is lofty and rather nebulous document but does state a human has certain basic rights which in this case have been contravened.

On a personal level, I just think live and let live. It's not a real crime. I think most people will know what I'm getting at.

Do a 3 month overstay in the USA and see if you ever get back in legally

USA is a police state shithole nowadays, not a good example to follow. 5 year ban for 3 months is very excessive, no matter how you look at it. I could understand one year ban for that but not 5. You could get that same 5 year ban for mere one day overstay if caught in the street. The immigration officials copied the rules from Australia which is entirely in different situation with the boat people and is much richer country.

You wonder how they would react if you said, "But God, I just so love it here! Please, poo-um really, really chawp Thailand!! I'm begging you - I'll swear allegiance and punch a southern separatist - just don't make me go back!!"

They'd think, "He shows promise". smile.png

Archived