Brit blacklisted for 5 years for overstay

Rimmer

Overstay: One has to be incredibly stupid or having something to hide from authorities.

I think that is quite simple.

No It can happen by accident

Government holiday can trip the tourist up

Simple isn't it

I have been working/visiting/living in Thailand on and off since May 1993 which is about 23 years now.

To my knowledge both mobile phones and laptops/desktops and tablets have all been supplied with an app called "calendar" for years. It is a free app and all it takes is a little bit of common sense to add 90 days to the day you arrived.

If you subtract 7 days from the date of arrival you will have several days to renew/extend/whatever your visa.

To me, if you cannot manage something that simple then you should not have left your Mummy behind in your home country as she still needs to hold your hand when you cross the road, blow your nose and wipe your arrrrrsss for you.

I am now 72 and since 1993 somehow I have never managed to overstay my visa even once.

I am sure that if I can manage it then someone half my age should find it easy.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm getting paranoid.

Every time I see the word "Overstay" I have to check my passport.

I don't. My next 90 day report will happen in July at the same time that I apply for my retirement visa extension.

I even do that 1 month early just in case I have a problem.

..not to mention the fortune any 'western' foreigner has to pay every year for the 'privilege' of staying here...

Fortune? Really? How much is this fortune exactly?

For me on a retirement extension it costs me 1,900 thb.

The letter from the UK embassy is about 2,650 thb.

Total about 4,500 thb.

A "huge fortune".

...the irony...and hypocrisy....is that hundreds of thousands come from one of the border countries.....and live...and work here....without 'standard' paperwork....

..not to mention the fortune any 'western' foreigner has to pay every year for the 'privilege' of staying here...

Tut tut, we are "guests" in this country are we not?

No, Paying customers.

You might be, but I am not.

Total about 4,500 thb.

A "huge fortune".

But that's you, not everbody you see. For a younger man, he would incur far greater expense, likely involving numerous border trips.

Anyway, more than likely he's somebody who just came over and couldn't face going back, is a bit soft in the head, or made a series of unwise choices.

So what he hasn't got flipping stamp in his passport! No big deal really. Surely, the right to just live freely as nature intends is more important. Life gets more and more complicated. In my opinion, life is being ruined for the vast majority of easy going people.

How much is a cheap ticket to UK he can borrow from family its fairly cheap. Chiang mai seems OK but Pattaya seems to be a violent unfriendly place for a foreigner. Not quite so keen on Thailand after what I see on TV I thought Philippines was a dangerous place but its nowhere near as violent for foreigners as Thailand.

No cheap ticket to the UK for him. He will only be allowed to fly direct, usually THAI

Hw cannot fly cheap because he will not be allowed to have a stop anywhere to prevent him absconding.

Absconding from what?

He overstayed in Thailand, OK fair enough he broke the law he pays the penalty.

He can go where he wants if he has a visa for his destination.

Actually he cannot.

If you are deported from Thailand it is to your country of origin.

Where you go from there will be up to you.

OTOH if you have the money to go elsewhere it would have been cheaper to remain legal in Thailand.

Simple isn't it

I have been working/visiting/living in Thailand on and off since May 1993 which is about 23 years now.

To my knowledge both mobile phones and laptops/desktops and tablets have all been supplied with an app called "calendar" for years. It is a free app and all it takes is a little bit of common sense to add 90 days to the day you arrived.

If you subtract 7 days from the date of arrival you will have several days to renew/extend/whatever your visa.

To me, if you cannot manage something that simple then you should not have left your Mummy behind in your home country as she still needs to hold your hand when you cross the road, blow your nose and wipe your arrrrrsss for you.

I am now 72 and since 1993 somehow I have never managed to overstay my visa even once.

Well give yourself a big old pat on the back. saai.gif

I tend not to judge all others by my standards, but you go right ahead

72, yes, The older people get, the less tolerant they can be of others that don't measure up. wai2.gif

So Woody1, you think immigration police dealing with someone illegally in LOS is out of order in your opinion....?

No, I don't.

But what I KNOW is a 3 month overstay does not warrant a 5 year blacklisting!

Also, all forms of BiB should be focusing their efforts on serious crime; daily shootings, speed boat accidents, serious drug offenders, and drink drivers (who alone have killed 3 people in the last 3 days)!

Do a 3 month overstay in the USA and see if you ever get back in legally. Thailand has announced this for over a year, so when given so many chances to clear an overstay up before the blacklist went into effect and making everyone aware of the new blacklist law then blacklisting for 5 years for a 3 month overstay is warranted. This kid knowingly overstayed and either had no money to fix the situation or just didn't care. Also immigration and BIB are two different departments. Thats like saying the firemen should do something about crime.

I guess there's a part of us that has to think this way to avoid trouble. If he's guilty of anything it's not looking after his own interests. Effectively, then because he doesn't have enough money to stay, he is criminalized, worse still jailed in bad conditions. And even if he has the money he is prevented from going where he chooses. The UN nations Charter of Human Rights is lofty and rather nebulous document but does state a human has certain basic rights which in this case have been contravened.

On a personal level, I just think live and let live. It's not a real crime. I think most people will know what I'm getting at.

Whilst you may have the right to leave your own country, you DON'T have the right to go to any country that you choose. Just because you are granted a visa to enter a country, it doesn't give you any rights to enter that country. There are no human rights to travel to where YOU think you want to go.

The immigration officers in the country that you are travelling to have the final word and if they don't want to let you in then you cannot enter.

http://www.un.org/en/universal-declaration-human-rights/

It's all here, freedom of movement, to live where you like, to be kept in humane conditions, etc.

Perhaps instead of discussing the misfortunes of one admitedly feckless individual, we ought to turn the spotlight around.

I don't know about you, but I have no rights in Thailand whatsoever other than discretionary, and am more ingrained in Thai society than most others. Could be deported at any time really, even though I have the right documents.

Total about 4,500 thb.

A "huge fortune".

But that's you, not everbody you see. For a younger man, he would incur far greater expense, likely involving numerous border trips.

Anyway, more than likely he's somebody who just came over and couldn't face going back, is a bit soft in the head, or made a series of unwise choices.

So what he hasn't got flipping stamp in his passport! No big deal really. Surely, the right to just live freely as nature intends is more important. Life gets more and more complicated. In my opinion, life is being ruined for the vast majority of easy going people.

If he was over 50 he could apply for a retirement visa extension. If he was married or was supporting a Thai child he could get a support visa.

The vast majority of easy going people follow the rules.

Would you object if 50,000,000 easy going people turned up at the immigration booths of your own country and said "I am easy going, let me in".

It is not that hard to stay legal in Thailand if you want to.

Simple isn't it

72, yes, The older people get, the less tolerant they can be of others that don't measure up. wai2.gif

What is so hard about keeping to the rules?

Do you keep to the rules in Thailand?

It is not that I am less tolerant but I cannot understand people who simply don't believe that the rules apply to themselves.

What is so hard in following the law?

How much is a cheap ticket to UK he can borrow from family its fairly cheap. Chiang mai seems OK but Pattaya seems to be a violent unfriendly place for a foreigner. Not quite so keen on Thailand after what I see on TV I thought Philippines was a dangerous place but its nowhere near as violent for foreigners as Thailand.

No cheap ticket to the UK for him. He will only be allowed to fly direct, usually THAI

Hw cannot fly cheap because he will not be allowed to have a stop anywhere to prevent him absconding.

Absconding from what?

He overstayed in Thailand, OK fair enough he broke the law he pays the penalty.

He can go where he wants if he has a visa for his destination.

Actually he cannot.

If you are deported from Thailand it is to your country of origin.

Where you go from there will be up to you.

OTOH if you have the money to go elsewhere it would have been cheaper to remain legal in Thailand.

Fair point, he will have to go back.

It was the absconding bit I didn't understand.

...the irony...and hypocrisy....is that hundreds of thousands come from one of the border countries.....and live...and work here....without 'standard' paperwork....

No, Paying customers.

How about paying guests? many of us here provide for someone or a whole family, and if it weren't for this we'd probably not be here anyway, let's face it.

Simple isn't it

What is so hard about keeping to the rules?

Do you keep to the rules in Thailand?

It is not that I am less tolerant but I cannot understand people who simply don't believe that the rules apply to themselves.

What is so hard in following the law?

Its wasted on your type,

To long in the tooth. wai2.gif

At any rate, he shouldn't be forced to go back to his country of origin, unless he is evading justice. Yes of course, the country he elects to go may deny him entry, but Thai authorities can't make that decision. I agree, in practice that's what happens.

Rules are rules, jspill. There will always be more serious crimes but if the government doesn't start somewhere then anarchy reins. Simple as.

Other governments in the area make visa extensions simple and easy, done within the country. Go figure.

Now you're talking nonsense. The guy didn't bother with an extension so totally moot point.

How is it nonsense, the Philippines allows 3 years of extensions, Cambodia a years stay at a time, Vietnam several in-country 3 month extensions, Laos has a long business visa.

If you mean because he didn't do an extension, well that would've only took him to 60 days. He'd still have been on 46 days overstay when arrested, and be blacklisted. How is it a moot point.

Just calling something nonsense isn't an argument.

Would you object if 50,000,000 easy going people turned up at the immigration booths of your own country and said "I am easy going, let me in".

So to make the analogy correct those 50,000,000 people would:

- Be several times richer than me

- Be my best customers, easy to overcharge

- Be unable to work in any profession that I can do myself, so can't take jobs away from me

- Be unable to buy up houses, land, condos if my countrymen own less than 50% of the building

- Be unable to claim benefits or have any easy automatic road to citizenship after a certain no. of years

- Be naturally attractive to me because of my culture's preference for their skin color

- Have sex with all the ugly women in my country, the ones myself and my countrymen don't find desirable anyway

- Build houses for those less attractive lower class women, support their families

- Occasionally bring with them some very attractive women that like to get drunk and sunbathe half naked

I think I wouldn't object at all. Not to mention there aren't 50 million of them, much less and we kick most of the younger ones out after 30 - 90 days once they've dumped a lot of cash, and the older ones mostly stay indoors posting on internet forums.

http://www.un.org/en/universal-declaration-human-rights/

It's all here, freedom of movement, to live where you like, to be kept in humane conditions, etc.

Perhaps instead of discussing the misfortunes of one admitedly feckless individual, we ought to turn the spotlight around.

I don't know about you, but I have no rights in Thailand whatsoever other than discretionary, and am more ingrained in Thai society than most others. Could be deported at any time really, even though I have the right documents.

You need to read that again. Freedom of movement within borders is the only right, not freedom of movement across borders.

He probably can't get a cheap ticket to the UK. Most likely he will have to get a direct flight with an airline that will accept him. His choices probably are only Thai, BA or Eva and the price is double or triple the cheapest. And maybe only BA

So to make the analogy correct those 50,000,000 people would:

- Be several times richer than me

- Be my best customers, easy to overcharge

Then there is the question of corruption. I talked with this one guy boasting about getting his next visa with three extensions simply by paying to some immigration official 50000 Baht. No need to go Laos or Cambodia, everything taking care of. The funny part is that I met the guy in an immigration official meeting showing us and explaining to us foreigners the new rules! smile.png "Good guys in, bad guys out!"...ok, whatever you say.

I don't mind anybody doing that but it is also how real criminals do it. Especially if they have outstanding warrants in their home countries and those smooth talking white collar criminals. There are quite a lot of cases still walking around in Thailand who should be deported. Instead of these guys, down on their luck but otherwise decent folks.

He probably can't get a cheap ticket to the UK. Most likely he will have to get a direct flight with an airline that will accept him. His choices probably are only Thai, BA or Eva and the price is double or triple the cheapest. And maybe only BA

A one way ticket only. My experience is that they are not that cheap.

At any rate, he shouldn't be forced to go back to his country of origin, unless he is evading justice. Yes of course, the country he elects to go may deny him entry, but Thai authorities can't make that decision. I agree, in practice that's what happens.

His current status is that of a someone in violation of Thai law (a criminal). Therefore, in such cases, it is protocol that if the person is removed from the country, it is only back to their country of origin (citizenship).

Other countries wouldn't look to kindly if such criminals were just sent on their way to another country of their choice to continue their nefarious deeds in their country.

No, Paying customers.

How about paying guests? many of us here provide for someone or a whole family, and if it weren't for this we'd probably not be here anyway, let's face it.

They can continue to provide support for their families from their home countries. Tens of millions of people do this every day...not so difficult...think Western Union.

Archived