Eleven Dead in Motorway Smash Between Pattaya & Bangkok

rooster59

Eleven Dead in Motorway Smash Between Pattaya & Bangkok

by Albert Jack

post-247607-0-33018500-1465607084_thumb.

PATTAYA: 4am – Breaking News: Eleven people have been killed after becoming trapped in a passenger minibus that overturned and caught fire on the Pattaya to Bangkok motorway last night.

The accident, that happened at 9pm on Friday 10, claimed the lives of eleven people who were unable to free themselves from the burning vehicle. The Disaster Mitigation and Prevention Department of the Interior Ministry issued a brief statement in the early hours of June 11.

The department statement confirms there are four survivors who managed to climb out of the wreckage as the fire took hold. Rescuers of the Trikhunnatham Foundation in Chon Buri have taken three of them to the Chalurat Hospital and the fourth to Chon Buri Hospital.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/225189/eleven-dead-motorway-smash-pattaya-bangkok/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2016-06-11

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I drove back on the motorway from Pattaya yesterday. The speed at which some drive, the lack of lane awareness, tailgating and swerving in and out of lanes, makes it surprising that this sort of horrendous accident doesn't happen even more often.

There needs to be stricter controls on these mini buses, i.e. compulsory registration as commercial vehicle, annual checks & random checks of vehicle safety & operation, compulsory seat belts, passenger limit. Plus,there driver payment system needs to change, to force speed reductions by drivers. Some years back,was 1 of 12 passengers hurtling along on Bangna Express @ 170k p/h. Told driver to slow just laughed, reported to Police station & nothing occurred.

The Prayut Gov't needs institute program to more strictly control the minibus industry, it's a disgrace. Prayut espouses the principles of caring for Thai people, well, 11 Thai people senselessly lost their lives, so, Khun Prayut prove you care....do something!!

There needs to be stricter controls on these mini buses, i.e. compulsory registration as commercial vehicle, annual checks & random checks of vehicle safety & operation, compulsory seat belts, passenger limit. Plus,there driver payment system needs to change, to force speed reductions by drivers. Some years back,was 1 of 12 passengers hurtling along on Bangna Express @ 170k p/h. Told driver to slow just laughed, reported to Police station & nothing occurred.

The Prayut Gov't needs institute program to more strictly control the minibus industry, it's a disgrace. Prayut espouses the principles of caring for Thai people, well, 11 Thai people senselessly lost their lives, so, Khun Prayut prove you care....do something!!

The last thing i would want to wear in an overturned and on fire minibus would be a seatbelt.

Real tough penalties for both drive and company if they are found at fault would save far more lives.

The whole transportations system in Thailand is one big shamble to say the least, it left to the operators of those

services to dictate what safety measures to implement and install on all vehicles servicing passengers,

as well as the design, build and emergency exits in case of such horrendous accident,

and as such, very little car or attention is paid for the minimum safety musts for the sake of safe traveling....

The last thing i would want to wear in an overturned and on fire minibus would be a seatbelt.

Real tough penalties for both drive and company if they are found at fault would save far more lives.

If wore seat belt in overturned vehicle, seat belts ensure all passengers held in place, not dangerously moving around cabin & sustaining/causing life threatening injuries; seat belts do reduce injuries..

In a vehicle crash unsecured passengers cause injuries to themselves & others.

In many countries now, seat belt belts are compulsory on all non commuter buses, etc.

Research verifies seat belts save lives.

Agree, must have tough penalties, but needs a concerted effort not just one element.

What all those irregular vans need, is a speed limiter with a max of 90 km/h.

Better even, to bring back the big line buses and forbid those vans to connect places more then 25 km apart.

And check those idiots who sit behind the steering wheel on a daily basis.

Once did the route Saraburi-Lopburi.

Never again

I will take the train.

Mini-buses are death traps. Just look how long it takes to get in one with all the folding seats and just one sliding door. Now turn the bus upside down and add the lunatic speed with which these idiots drive at to the formula. I never travel in them.

Suppose you were unlucky enough to be in a minibus travelling at 120kph, it hits a crash barrier or electric post and barrel rolls maybe several times. Do you really think your chances of survival will increase if you're not wearing a seatbelt?

here is what we will all say, BUT YET none of us know what to do next...

1. life is precious

2. we could die any second

3. life life to the fullest

4. love those you love

5. be nice to people....

but it always falls on deaf ears, mine included. i guess there is too much suffering in the world for us to process it all.....

be we are all aware.....and i guess that is the first step.

Suppose you were unlucky enough to be in a minibus travelling at 120kph, it hits a crash barrier or electric post and barrel rolls maybe several times. Do you really think your chances of survival will increase if you're not wearing a seatbelt?

Please quote on what i said, not on an imaginary situation you have made up to try and prove a point.

Sure, if you do some research, you'll find it's far better to wear a seat belt than not, in majority of crash incidences. Your quoted scenario is in upper end of incidences, most (unreported) incidences occupants would be better off w/ seat belts than not.. Unrestrained bodies & objects cause a great deal of injuries & fatalities.

Please quote on what i said, not on an imaginary situation you have made up to try and prove a point.

So the minibus gently found itself upside down and slowly caught fire?

While I agree with you and you are totally right, your whole plan falls apart right at the start with "There needs to be stricter controls on these mini buses".

There simply is no institution in Thailand that can check if rules are followed consistently.

Other countries have the police to do that, Thailand does not.

Everything you propose stops when you cannot monitor if the rules are followed and violators are penalized.

There seem to be a lot of fires following these accidents. I'm sure it's due to poor installation/maintenance of the CNG/NGV tanks used to fuel these death traps.

Sure, if you do some research, you'll find it's far better to wear a seat belt than not, in majority of crash incidences. Your quoted scenario is in upper end of incidences, most (unreported) incidences occupants would be better off w/ seat belts than not.. Unrestrained bodies & objects cause a great deal of injuries & fatalities.

I was writing about this particular incident.

I do believe it is a governments job to educate people about things such as seat belts and helmets on bikes etc. Then after being educated the individual should be able to decide what to do, as long as his action do not affect others. As in wearing or not wearing a helmet is a crime in some countries, but also a victimless crime.

Apetely.......

I have no idea, do you? Maybe it was doing 80 kph and swerved to miss a dog, who knows? But i am talking about being trapped in a burning vehicle by a seatbelt.

Think you're missing the point, many countries have compulsory wearing of seat belts, based on solid research. Sure there will be instances where the belts can't/don't save lives, but in majority of cases they work. So to protect people it's compulsory, same with helmets, not a matter of choice.

Apetely.......

I have no idea, do you? Maybe it was doing 80 kph and swerved to miss a dog, who knows? But i am talking about being trapped in a burning vehicle by a seatbelt.

A tyre blew out according to the op which suggests high speed. Social media pics suggests a heavy impact too. Considering that I'd say more chance to survive if wearing a seat belt.

Archived