Eleven Dead in Motorway Smash Between Pattaya & Bangkok

rooster59

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apetely.......

So the minibus gently found itself upside down and slowly caught fire?

I have no idea, do you? Maybe it was doing 80 kph and swerved to miss a dog, who knows? But i am talking about being trapped in a burning vehicle by a seatbelt.

Anyone of you actually read the whole article??

"The van overturned when one of it's tyres burst."

On one of the best stretches of highway in Thailand he must have gone very fast.

No surprise there if so, because despite several 'crack-downs', I see mini vans and (mini-) buses fly by at speeds of 120 km/h and beyond on Thailand's roads on a daily basis.

Rip to the deceased, you never saw it coming.....

School Mini-Bus Tragedy Leaves Eleven Dead Between Pattaya & Bangkok

by Albert Jack

post-247607-0-78147200-1465615618_thumb.

PATTAYA: The mini-bus that crashed last night, claiming eleven lives, belonged to the Kumklao Sakola School, in the Min Buri district of west Bangkok, and was carrying teachers home from a seminar in Rayong.

A witness, in a following vehicle, says the right rear tyre of the mini bus exploded, causing it to crash into the central reservation before overturning and bursting into flames. Another witness to the horror has informed Pattaya One that the minibus ended up on its side with the sliding exit door to the road surface trapping the victims inside.

Firefighters were quickly on the scene but still took over thirty minutes to control and put out the blaze. Eventually rescue services were able to recover eleven bodies from the wreckage.

The victims included one male and ten females, one of whom was an eight-year old student of the school. They have all now been identified.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/225215/school-mini-bus-tragedy-leaves-eleven-dead-pattaya-bangkok/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2016-06-11

Roomuck: "They do have safety ads on TV re speeding, texting, drink driving.

Here is one."

OK, thanks for sharing, and others too. To be honest I keep clear of Thai television at home as much as I keep clear of minivans on the road ;)

Once again, a tragedy like this shines the light on 2 glaring inadequacies in Thailand - education and regulation.

I grew up with a simple mantra for driving - Speed Kills. It really is as simple as that.

TV adverts like this one have had an effect on me. Could they be used to good effect in Thailand?

[media]

[/media]

As another member posted in another thread, sharply and so sadly true :

"I just don't understand why some folk can't grasp it. Despite what Thais like to think, Thailand is a 3rd-world country, full of 3rd-world people with a 3rd-world education and culture. Why would you expect something other than exploitation, corruption and incompetence? Whatever were you thinking? It's the wild wild east for God's sake."

I drove back on the motorway from Pattaya yesterday. The speed at which some drive, the lack of lane awareness, tailgating and swerving in and out of lanes, makes it surprising that this sort of horrendous accident doesn't happen even more often.

It will never change this kind of habits, they all thinking they are king of the road.

And again, I don't stop saying that Responsibility is the Thai people unknown.

There needs to be stricter controls on these mini buses, i.e. compulsory registration as commercial vehicle, annual checks & random checks of vehicle safety & operation, compulsory seat belts, passenger limit. Plus,there driver payment system needs to change, to force speed reductions by drivers. Some years back,was 1 of 12 passengers hurtling along on Bangna Express @ 170k p/h. Told driver to slow just laughed, reported to Police station & nothing occurred.

The Prayut Gov't needs institute program to more strictly control the minibus industry, it's a disgrace. Prayut espouses the principles of caring for Thai people, well, 11 Thai people senselessly lost their lives, so, Khun Prayut prove you care....do something!!

The last thing i would want to wear in an overturned and on fire minibus would be a seatbelt.

Real tough penalties for both drive and company if they are found at fault would save far more lives.

what is needed is motorway patrols with dedicated police who are willing to stop and instantly suspend these lunatic drivers, prosecute them for endangering the lives of others,

but its been going no for long now it in the Thai-ness book and therefor mai pen rai

I use this road twice, sometimes four times a week, 95% of drivers are ok, but the dangerous 5% are a problem.

Seriously? I think you have those figures backwards, 95% are the problem and 5% are OK.

how many Thai people could pass a driving test in the UK even if they had been driving for decades.

I'll wait...

Off topic post removed, we are discussing a bus crash in Thailand please do not attempt to hijack the topic with statistics from all over the world

What about installing tachometers in all public and merchandise transport vehicles? ...and having compulsory or random checks.

I'm guessing you don't know what a tachometer is for?

a device that measures speed

I use this road twice, sometimes four times a week, 95% of drivers are ok, but the dangerous 5% are a problem.

Seriously? I think you have those figures backwards, 95% are the problem and 5% are OK.

how many Thai people could pass a driving test in the UK even if they had been driving for decades.

I'll wait...

I fear you would say the same about the French or Italians if you drove in Paris or Rome, I have been driving in Thailand for a long time and I think I've learned to adapt, but I'm lucky, I was only 35 when I came to live in Thailand so was not too old to adapt, of course my experience may have been different had I been older and less able to adapt.

Accidents happen everywhere, if you adapt to local driving conditions you'll likely survive longer, but again, just like everywhere, accidents do happen.

1.3 million people will die on roads this year, a small fraction of that figure be in Thailand, but most wont be.

More carnage. More death. And no public outcry over the continuing slaughter on the roads in Thailand.

The only 'public outcry' comes from forums like this and is almost invariably by non-Thais. This kind of carnage is 'par for the course' as far as most locals are concerned. They really don't know any differently.

Chris, you cannot educate the majority of Thai people where common sense is involved, driving vehicles and motorbikes is about 80% common sense, and that

is just what most Thais do not have, you can see it at other times as well as on the roads.

What about installing tachometers in all public and merchandise transport vehicles? ...and having compulsory or random checks.

I'm guessing you don't know what a tachometer is for?

a device that measures speed

I think you will find that that is a speedometer.

I think what you are trying to say is that they should install tachographs (not tachometers).

There are so much crazy minivan driver here on the road.
Tailgating, jostle, speeding, reckless driving, tired or full with M150, curve cutting, left overtaking, ignoring traffic lights, unable to anticipate traffic situations and often a phone in hand.

But also the safety devices are often poor.
Functioning safty belts ?, fire extinguisher?, first aid kit?, emergency escape hammer (Had here could save lives), reflective safety vest? warning triangle?
What mandatory equipment in public transport are in other countries, here: "No have".

Public minivans: No thank you.
Never had a quiet and relaxing trip with a public minivan in the past

Apparently always under constant time pressure.
Finished always in a race and often take irresponsible risks.

Would roughly estimate that about 50% of the min van drivers are unsuitable to work in the public transport sector.
RIP

Poor people, I feel very sorry for all of them, especially the eight year old child. R.I.P. Most unfortunate accident, all teachers on the way back from Rayong heading back to Min Buri, got a tire burst, lost control, went into the middle reservation and then overturned. 52 year old female teacher who was driving survived, along with three others who managed to climb out. The sliding door was on the side of the road and could not be opened. Those who survived I assume managed to crawl out the front same as the driver.

I think it is time for van manufacturers or legislators to think about how to get out of these death traps in such a case.

There needs to be stricter controls on these mini buses, i.e. compulsory registration as commercial vehicle, annual checks & random checks of vehicle safety & operation, compulsory seat belts, passenger limit. Plus,there driver payment system needs to change, to force speed reductions by drivers. Some years back,was 1 of 12 passengers hurtling along on Bangna Express @ 170k p/h. Told driver to slow just laughed, reported to Police station & nothing occurred.

The Prayut Gov't needs institute program to more strictly control the minibus industry, it's a disgrace. Prayut espouses the principles of caring for Thai people, well, 11 Thai people senselessly lost their lives, so, Khun Prayut prove you care....do something!!

The last thing i would want to wear in an overturned and on fire minibus would be a seatbelt.

Real tough penalties for both drive and company if they are found at fault would save far more lives.

If wore seat belt in overturned vehicle, seat belts ensure all passengers held in place, not dangerously moving around cabin & sustaining/causing life threatening injuries; seat belts do reduce injuries..

In a vehicle crash unsecured passengers cause injuries to themselves & others.

In many countries now, seat belt belts are compulsory on all non commuter buses, etc.

Research verifies seat belts save lives.

Agree, must have tough penalties, but needs a concerted effort not just one element.

In many Countries now seatbelts are compulsory in all vehicles including commuter buses. Time has proven better chance of survival in any rolling vehicle if a seatbelt is worn. Not with standing an horrific way to die. RIP crash victims

Education? There is plenty of teaching going on here but not much learning. Thais do not learn from teaching or their experience!

Not wearing a seatbelt is only a victimless crime when there aren't any victims. Everyone, family, loved ones connected with a person involving injuries or death, are also victims. If a policeman comes to your door and tells you your daughter was in an accident and died because she wasn't wearing her seatbelt, do you say? "Up to her, she made her decision......"

----------

Without a seatbelt the rollover inertia would eject you through a window and you'd be bouncing down the road. Or you would be breaking the necks of your fellow passengers.

I really miss common sense!

Mini vans will crush like a tin can.

And, many are overloaded with passengers and cargo which causes excessive tire wear and tread separation.

Regarding being in an overturned and burning minibus, my comment stays the same.

Quite right... Quite right.

If I was in an overturned and burning minibus, I would want my seatbelt off, too.... And damn quickly.

But.... You do realize that the wearing of the seatbelt, during the overturning phase, is probably the only reason why you would, perhaps, be still able to undo the seatbelt, and effect an escape, don't you?

LOL.... And victimless crimes? Really?

Unsecured items in a vehicular accident, which included 80kg (?) human bodies, will fly about the interior, and could injure others, incapacitating them, and therefore hindering their,and others, escape.

And then comes the not wearing helmet rubbish... Unbelievable... And rather callous towards loved ones left behind.... Perhaps they are the real victims.

Anyway.... As you like, right? But do play roo mucks second posted road safety video, it may educate you, and.... perhaps consider exchanging that old filament light globe in your head for a new LED jobby.... Very bright they are.

what is needed is motorway patrols with dedicated police who are willing to stop and instantly suspend these lunatic drivers, prosecute them for endangering the lives of others,

but its been going no for long now it in the Thai-ness book and therefor mai pen rai

OMG , can you imagine having Thai motorway patrol cops chasing after reckless drivers on the motorways and highways , it would be like watching a Keystone cops movie , perpetrators driving even more wildly trying to escape their pursuers.

Educational videos will help , as will a zero tolerance , no messing attitude by Law enforcers towards all perpetrators of bad road behaviour anf far heftier penalties for all , regardless of status.

RIP to all involved , was watching the story unfold last night , so tragic.

I have never had a bad ride in a scheduled city to city (full size) bus in Thailand. Maybe I'm lucky.

I will resist, kicking and screaming, ever getting into another passenger mini-van in Thailand.

Those are much better, the drivers much more relaxed and drive more safely. They do not have the same kind of insane timetable pressures than mini-van buses with cut-throat margins.

Suppose you were unlucky enough to be in a minibus travelling at 120kph, it hits a crash barrier or electric post and barrel rolls maybe several times. Do you really think your chances of survival will increase if you're not wearing a seatbelt?

Sure, if you do some research, you'll find it's far better to wear a seat belt than not, in majority of crash incidences. Your quoted scenario is in upper end of incidences, most (unreported) incidences occupants would be better off w/ seat belts than not.. Unrestrained bodies & objects cause a great deal of injuries & fatalities.

I was writing about this particular incident.

I do believe it is a governments job to educate people about things such as seat belts and helmets on bikes etc. Then after being educated the individual should be able to decide what to do, as long as his action do not affect others. As in wearing or not wearing a helmet is a crime in some countries, but also a victimless crime.

Neighbour of ours got on his Click for a 200 metre ride up to the local shop a few months ago, didn't bother with a helmet. As he turned into the road he collided with another motorcyclist. He suffered major head injury and is now permanently mentally disabled. His daughter no longer has a father to take care of her, his wife and mother now have to take care of him fulltime and the family have lost his income as the major breadwinner. Sound like victims to me.

Absolutely preventable had he worn a helmet.

Archived