Eleven Dead in Motorway Smash Between Pattaya & Bangkok

rooster59

What about installing tachometers in all public and merchandise transport vehicles? ...and having compulsory or random checks.

I'm guessing you don't know what a tachometer is for?

a device that measures speed

Nope, That's a speedometer!!!

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I may be a coward - i couldn't care less about that label - but i stopped using those minibuses years ago. They are almost always driven by lunatics who appear to be on something. Last time we needed to go 50kms from town-to-town, we took the lovely old slow train and saw the countryside, instead of staring fearfully at the rear light of some vehicle only one metre in front of us in a suicide-van.

These mini buses are suicide machines.

Add a cheap non authorized nor serviced gas tank & a driver who insists on foot to the floor

& must pass the vehicle in front at all costs & the recipe is complete.

The Police & Ministry of Transport do nothing to help so this carnage will continue

What about installing tachometers in all public and merchandise transport vehicles? ...and having compulsory or random checks.

I'm guessing you don't know what a tachometer is for?

a device that measures speed

Nope, That's a speedometer!!!

A tachometer measures the revolutions of the engine

I use this road twice, sometimes four times a week, 95% of drivers are ok, but the dangerous 5% are a problem.

Seriously? I think you have those figures backwards, 95% are the problem and 5% are OK.

how many Thai people could pass a driving test in the UK even if they had been driving for decades.

I'll wait...

I fear you would say the same about the French or Italians if you drove in Paris or Rome, I have been driving in Thailand for a long time and I think I've learned to adapt, but I'm lucky, I was only 35 when I came to live in Thailand so was not too old to adapt, of course my experience may have been different had I been older and less able to adapt.

Accidents happen everywhere, if you adapt to local driving conditions you'll likely survive longer, but again, just like everywhere, accidents do happen.

1.3 million people will die on roads this year, a small fraction of that figure be in Thailand, but most wont be.

OUTRAGEOUS AGEISM !!! I came to LoS when i was 63 and adapted just fine thanks.

I use this road twice, sometimes four times a week, 95% of drivers are ok, but the dangerous 5% are a problem.

Seriously? I think you have those figures backwards, 95% are the problem and 5% are OK.

how many Thai people could pass a driving test in the UK even if they had been driving for decades.

I'll wait...

I fear you would say the same about the French or Italians if you drove in Paris or Rome, I have been driving in Thailand for a long time and I think I've learned to adapt, but I'm lucky, I was only 35 when I came to live in Thailand so was not too old to adapt, of course my experience may have been different had I been older and less able to adapt.

Accidents happen everywhere, if you adapt to local driving conditions you'll likely survive longer, but again, just like everywhere, accidents do happen.

1.3 million people will die on roads this year, a small fraction of that figure be in Thailand, but most wont be.

OUTRAGEOUS AGEISM !!! I came to LoS when i was 63 and adapted just fine thanks.

Good for you, by the way, 63 is the new 43 !! thumbsup.gif

The last thing i would want to wear in an overturned and on fire minibus would be a seatbelt.

----------

Without a seatbelt the rollover inertia would eject you through a window and you'd be bouncing down the road. Or you would be breaking the necks of your fellow passengers.

I really miss common sense!

Mini vans will crush like a tin can.

And, many are overloaded with passengers and cargo which causes excessive tire wear and tread separation.

Regarding being in an overturned and burning minibus, my comment stays the same.

Quite right... Quite right.

If I was in an overturned and burning minibus, I would want my seatbelt off, too.... And damn quickly.

But.... You do realize that the wearing of the seatbelt, during the overturning phase, is probably the only reason why you would, perhaps, be still able to undo the seatbelt, and effect an escape, don't you?

LOL.... And victimless crimes? Really?

Unsecured items in a vehicular accident, which included 80kg (?) human bodies, will fly about the interior, and could injure others, incapacitating them, and therefore hindering their,and others, escape.

And then comes the not wearing helmet rubbish... Unbelievable... And rather callous towards loved ones left behind.... Perhaps they are the real victims.

Anyway.... As you like, right? But do play roo mucks second posted road safety video, it may educate you, and.... perhaps consider exchanging that old filament light globe in your head for a new LED jobby.... Very bright they are.

Actually this all got out of hand because i said i would not want to locked in a seat belt upside down in a burning mini bus. As a personal choice i stand by that statement.

If in a vehicle with others then of course the victimless part does not count at all. I never said it did!

Victimless regarding a helmet, yes. If it's against the law, the law has be broken. But there is no victim to that. consequences maybe, victim no.

Terrible accident it says tire burst it happens all over the world. No witness say speeding or weaving so please no usual 2 +2 =45 as always on here assumptions to fit your theories. Sorry for damages and loved ones.

There seem to be a lot of fires following these accidents. I'm sure it's due to poor installation/maintenance of the CNG/NGV tanks used to fuel these death traps.

as far as ive seen so far they dont fit electric cut off solenoids in the line from the tank to the engine. in the UK 3 must be fitted, on the tank, in the engine bay and on the engine. when the engine stops the valves close and cut off the gas supply in the event of a gas escape, ie; crash.

ive not seen any used in thailand, the tanks just vent out if the fuel line is severed. i went to ebay uk to check the price..... 350 baht... welcome to thailand....we are safe.

There is no doubt that the Mini Bus drivers operate these vehicles way too fast and in an unsafe manner. The problem is that the owners of these Mini Vans make the drivers adhere to an unrealistic timetable because they want to make more money. There is no concern about safety; whether the vehicle is maintained; or whether the drivers are over tired. The drivers are normally poor, and need to keep the job and support their families. On the Pattaya- Bangkok run- most drivers will complete 4 round trips each day- that is a minimum of 16 hours behind the wheel at over the speed limit as much as possible. In addition, the drivers are either taking 'energy' drinks or meth to stay awake. Many do this 7 days a week.

If they don't conform to what the 'boss' wants- he fires them and finds a driver who will conform

As much as I hate the nanny state- I hate greed even more and that is what is causing these horrible accidents. Greedy owners who push their staff past what a human being can endure. They need regulation and they need a way to make the owners accountable. Until this occurs- we will be reading more stories like this again.

Some of the minibus drivers have a horrible behavior. They park the cars where it is forbidden, cut your line on highways and one recently literally pushed me from the right lane while I was overtaking a truck by coming on my lane and leaving only millimeters between the cars. If I did not go into the brakes another bad accident was the result. As the police is doing nothing the passengers should react by giving the driver a warning and in worse cases taking the sceneries by a mobile phone and presenting it to the police.

There needs to be stricter controls on these mini buses, i.e. compulsory registration as commercial vehicle, annual checks & random checks of vehicle safety & operation, compulsory seat belts, passenger limit. Plus,there driver payment system needs to change, to force speed reductions by drivers. Some years back,was 1 of 12 passengers hurtling along on Bangna Express @ 170k p/h. Told driver to slow just laughed, reported to Police station & nothing occurred.

The Prayut Gov't needs institute program to more strictly control the minibus industry, it's a disgrace. Prayut espouses the principles of caring for Thai people, well, 11 Thai people senselessly lost their lives, so, Khun Prayut prove you care....do something!!

Sorry no can do your suggestions cost to much money. Subs planes and trains are the new high profile priority. Collateral damage a showpiece crackdown and life goes on. Its like a Broadway production.

There needs to be stricter controls on these mini buses, i.e. compulsory registration as commercial vehicle, annual checks & random checks of vehicle safety & operation, compulsory seat belts, passenger limit. Plus,there driver payment system needs to change, to force speed reductions by drivers. Some years back,was 1 of 12 passengers hurtling along on Bangna Express @ 170k p/h. Told driver to slow just laughed, reported to Police station & nothing occurred.

The Prayut Gov't needs institute program to more strictly control the minibus industry, it's a disgrace. Prayut espouses the principles of caring for Thai people, well, 11 Thai people senselessly lost their lives, so, Khun Prayut prove you care....do something!!

The last thing i would want to wear in an overturned and on fire minibus would be a seatbelt.

Real tough penalties for both drive and company if they are found at fault would save far more lives.

First you have to find them. I imagine the driver is among the dead and the owner is busy packing his bags. He knows that he will be the center of attention when they find him. He will be the current whipping boy for all that is wrong as you state above with the transportation system here. This is one reason the government wants to control FB so that images of this tragedy do not reach the outside world.

Hey Jeab

You have exactly the same mentality why Thailand has the worst driving habits in the world...

People have blow outs all the time without killing 11 people....

I check my tires monthly...how about you?

Sorry do I know you ??? You seem to think you know me???. I pointed out blow out happen all over and there is no suggestions in the original article about speeding or unsafe driving so I presume you think 2×2=45 then. Ps unlike yourself I don't have tires to check. No spare either unlike you see I do know you.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that these CNG (NVG) conversions on mini buses exceeded the load rating of the mini bus due to having too many tanks because the drivers didn't want to stop so often to refill the tank(s). I presume the tanks are at the back and under the back seat putting all the extra weight on the rear axle and wheels which maybe didn't help if there was damage or wear to the rear tyres.

The bus was owned by a school so we don't have the normal 'for profit' scenario, they were probably in a hurry to get home as they would have been having a long day out. I once got a mini bus from Victory Monument Bangkok to Ban Phe Rayong on a Sunday afternoon which took about 2hrs 15mins to get to the pier, frightened the living daylights out of me and after a couple more hair raising drives in them I have stopped using them completely. One of the problems is the cheapness and convenience of them, 200 baht to swampy compared to 2000baht by taxi from Rayong, although I have used the same taxi driver for years because he's not racing everyone and has a very relaxed and almost defensive driving style. Tourists should be warned about this as the first time I came on holiday to Thailand I was put in one of these mini buses to go on a pre arranged tour without understanding the situation, I was told in Malaysia that they had got rid of them for these safety reasons.

In all fairness to those crazy minibus drivers and their suspect vehicles, the fact (missed by many) is that this terrible accident involved a people-carrier from a private Bangkok elementary school.

It was further reported elsewhere, that the school's director was driving this vehicle and was among the four injured survivors.

As a former police officer who served before and after compulsory seatbelt and crash helmet use in the UK, I can categorically state that both of these save lives. People who say for seatbelt use what about fires and driving into water should look at the figures for what percentage of accidents involve either of these, very low. At least wearing a seatbelt will likely keep you conscious enough to be able to try to escape.

Jimmy Savile was right about one thing, "Clunk-click - every trip"

Real tough penalties for both drive and company if they are found at fault would save far more lives.

First you have to find them. I imagine the driver is among the dead and the owner is busy packing his bags. He knows that he will be the center of attention when they find him. He will be the current whipping boy for all that is wrong as you state above with the transportation system here. This is one reason the government wants to control FB so that images of this tragedy do not reach the outside world.

According to the reports, the driver was a 52 year-old woman (a teacher) and she survived.

Chris, you cannot educate the majority of Thai people where common sense is involved, driving vehicles and motorbikes is about 80% common sense, and that

is just what most Thais do not have, you can see it at other times as well as on the roads.

Thais have the same innate common sense as any other body of people in the world. There is no evidence to suggest otherwise. What they do lack is an education system that teaches driving skills or acceptable behavioural control, a incorruptible police force or reasonable road traffic enforcement and subsequent adequate punishment if convicted.

Chris, you cannot educate the majority of Thai people where common sense is involved, driving vehicles and motorbikes is about 80% common sense, and that

is just what most Thais do not have, you can see it at other times as well as on the roads.

Thais have the same innate common sense as any other body of people in the world. There is no evidence to suggest otherwise. What they do lack is an education system that teaches driving skills or acceptable behavioural control, a incorruptible police force or reasonable road traffic enforcement and subsequent adequate punishment if convicted.

not racist! Fact is the Thais don't rise up.against the madness,they just smile and shrug their shoulders.

It always saddens me when a story like this is published on TV and all that most posters can do is make smart Alec comments about how bad safety is on Thai roads and how they could easily solve the problem. If it is so easy to solve then how come there are still 40,000 road deaths a year in the USA despite strict policing and legislation.personally all I want to do is offer my condolences to the families of the bereaved and count my self lucky that I left work early yesterday so I was on the motorway earlier than the incident in the post.

Archived