Ban Chang - thinking of moving to that region Beware - pollution

cumgranosalum

Many people seem unaware of the long history of pollution....

Ban Chang is in changwat Rayong and includes Utapao airport on one side and is bounded on the other i Asia Industry, Map Ta Phut , Puak Daeng and Eastern Seaboard. Also is the PTT aromatics plant - is you know what that is! And the Michelin Steel mill.

There has been a history of explosions and pollution in air land and sea there for 20 years.

Anyone thinking of buy/renting property there should be well aware of the potential and established health risks involved. These are said to include abnormally high child cancer rates.

Farmland water, sae and air have all at one time or another been above accepted international levels of pollutants ..it is also considered to be a hotspot for child cancer.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have real evidence for these assertions if so can you provide links. If not are you just rehashing old rumours ?

My experience is that 99% of the time the wind direction blows in from the sea and from BanChang towards Rayong.

Where the OP gets his info from I have no idea.

As far as the airport goes anything from there blows in the direction of BoWin.

Maybe 1 day in a hundred it goes the other way.

Total crap from the OP.

I have been living in Phala/Pala, Ban Chang for >8 years. This link proves the prevailing wind direction is SW or WSW i.e. from over the open water of the Gulf of Thailand (see Wind Speed in the graph):

https://www.wunderground.com/th/ban-chang/zmw:00000.2.48479?MR=1

The Rayong Field Crops Research Center (RFCRC) is part of a global network reporting on air quality and related data - Real Time Air Quality Index (AQI). RFCRC is located to the north of Maptaphut (MPT) just across Sukhumvit Rd from the Industrial Estate - it conducts research and development on cassava mainly; you pass it on your left as you drive from Ban Chang to MPT. See the current AQI here: http://aqicn.org/city/thailand/rayong/field-crop-research-center/

I have a b-i-l working as production supervisor at SCG (Chemicals) on the MPT Industrial Estate. I know for a fact that the company follows strict international standards on emissions and safety: http://www.scgchemicals.co.th/en/sustainability/. I am told that all the larger internationally-recognised companies do likewise and are closely monitored. However, there still could be risks from the older-established domestic factories (just local hearsay - no facts to report here).

Indeed, rather than being wary of living in Ban Chang, many locals (and not a few foreigners) are relocating to Ban Chang from the Rayong City area due to the more favorable quality of the air and the environment in general (info from talking to many locals, including families moving in to the many new housing complexes which are being built here).

Hey you don't have to be local to know about that area.... and it isn'y hearsay that the authorities suspended operations of over 70 companies in that area either. ...some were multinational....it would appear that ecen well-known international companies are prepared to take advantage of poor regulations and slack enforcement.

as for prevailing surface wind, that is only partially relevant as the airstreams carry pollutants too and can deposit then in rivers and streams that flow back into the region.

Hey you don't have to be local to know about that area.... and it isn'y hearsay that the authorities suspended operations of over 70 companies in that area either. ...some were multinational....it would appear that ecen well-known international companies are prepared to take advantage of poor regulations and slack enforcement.

as for prevailing surface wind, that is only partially relevant as the airstreams carry pollutants too and can deposit then in rivers and streams that flow back into the region.

Obviously don't need to be a local, but at least a local would know the difference between Ban Chang, as the topic is about, and Mapthaput the "area" to which you refer.

I have been working at PTT GC and PTT GSP for the last couple of years on various projects and I can tell you with 100% certainty that the HSSE at PTT and all of Mapthaput is far more stringent than anything i ever dealt with in 25 years working in the North Sea. .........by a long way!

I think if you do a little research you will find all the 70 projects you mention are back on track, the water retention and management project next to EFT is almost complete, this was the main issue for further developments, but hey, dont let the facts get in your way of havin a good bash!!

Obviously don't need to be a local, but at least a local would know the difference between Ban Chang, as the topic is about, and Mapthaput the "area" to which you refer.

I have been working at PTT GC and PTT GSP for the last couple of years on various projects and I can tell you with 100% certainty that the HSSE at PTT and all of Mapthaput is far more stringent than anything i ever dealt with in 25 years working in the North Sea. .........by a long way!

I think if you do a little research you will find all the 70 projects you mention are back on track, the water retention and management project next to EFT is almost complete, this was the main issue for further developments, but hey, dont let the facts get in your way of havin a good bash!!

What makes you think that proven, researched scientific facts will have any effect on a proven dick-heads mis-quided and made up views.

"As a result of increasing industrialisation and mineral extraction, Thailand faces rising concerns about health impacts from pollution in numerous sites around the country, including Na Nong Bong in Loei province (cyanide, mercury, and arsenic), Mao Tao in Tak province (cadmium), Pitchit province (manganese and arsenic), and near the Map Tha Phut industrial area in Rayong province (industrial chemicals). " Human Rights Watch.

Ban Chang is in changwat Rayong and includes Utapao airport on one side and is bounded on the other i Asia Industry, Map Ta Phut , Puak Daeng and Eastern Seaboard. Also there is the PTT aromatics plant, - if you know what that is! Michelin Steel plants and various other plant and factories....RIL, Hemeraj and others all have developments in that area near the PTT plants as well as their main sites up near Amata City.

There has been a history of explosions and pollution in air land and sea there for 20 years.

Anyone thinking of buy/renting property there should be well aware of the potential and established health risks involved. These are said to include abnormally high child cancer rates.

“Rayong Province is the largest industrial area in Thailand, in which petrochemical and related productions are key industries. The area has been facing several severe environmental problems which have imposed serious impacts on the health and quality of life of the local people.”

“he most important pollution in Rayong’s industrial area is air pollution and the major air pollutants are VOCs, SO2, and NOx. Several relevant government agencies have been trying to mitigate the problems through several measures mainly under the Rayong’s Pollution Reduction and Mitigation Action Plan, nevertheless, the problems still exist.”

http://www.nationmul...--30190917.html

or Google - "Blood of 82 schoolchildren found with high lead levels"

http://www.nationmul...n-30264284.html

http://www.nationmul...i-30211578.html

http://www.witpress....nment/157/23280

Many of the critics of this argument will cite the fact they have lived here for some time. Unfortunately this isn’t scientific proof...what is needed is an overview - they I have tried to provide - I have deliberately left out my own experiences as I’m only too aware that the plural of anecdote is not data.

However in the final analysis common sense needs to prevail and you live in a petro-chemical heartland in a developing country with widespread corruption and debatable rule of law and expect not to have pollution..

Personally I am interested in this topic and both points of view. I prefer not to have a head in the sand approach to issues.

Googling shows very little information so appreciate comments from those better informed than myself.

I think the reluctance of Google to surrender information is more than coincidence.....there is a lot of pressure on media etc not to make a fuss - there is a lot at stake here.

however, as I always say, there is a big difference between a "search" and "research".

Bang Chang is west of Map Ta Phut. Winds blow from the South-west. Soooo if there is pollution in Ban Chang its minimal.

I think we've pointed out the flaws in that argument already.

Well, please be more specific.

Map Ta Phut is the industrial city of Rayong province. Map Ta Phut is the problem. Bang Chang is West.

Bang Chang is west of Map Ta Phut. Winds blow from the South-west. Soooo if there is pollution in Ban Chang its minimal.

Map Ta Phut is the industrial city of Rayong province. Map Ta Phut is the problem. Bang Chang is West.

Readd above - it is perfectly specific and your information is wrong...it is also pretty much irrelevant to the argument.

Readd above - it is perfectly specific and your information is wrong...it is also pretty much irrelevant to the argument.

Well, fortunately I have read the ABOVE

Nothing refers to Bang Chang......Map Ta Phut. Lam Chalern, and Chongchensoa...Yes

Maybe you should read the above to see what you postedblink.png

Most of the issues cited were raised during the Greenpeace sponsored protest several years ago. In many cases they are valid issues as there are many cases of poor air and liquid emissions control in the past. Virtually all of the recent sustained problems (Past 20 years) or so have been with off estate support plants. This includes the famous ground water contamination plume found east of the estate.

https://www.google.co.th/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://sgw.epa.gov.tw/resag/Update_Data/Information9896592Country%2520Report_Thailand_2015.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwiHqODFprPNAhUYTY8KHY5HAx0QFggdMAE&usg=AFQjCNHKa504Jt79qprjNh2P46uawc2g4w&sig2=VLuQaBFXWFJc7bGpEXPGEA

collection sites

There are many waste collection sites that take industrial waste in Thailand.

These sites come in many configurations and sizes. After many years of

careless operation, there is a good chance that such facilities cause soil and

groundwater contamination. An example to the case is a waste collection site

located in a community nearby industrial estate is as followed,

 Pollution Control Department have noticed a groundwater contamination

in a community nearby Map Ta Phut industrial estate, Rayong province,

160 km east of Bangkok. It has been found that groundwater was

contaminated with 1-2, Dichloroethane, Carbon tetrachloride, and cis 1-2,

Dichloroethylene by shallow well sampling since 2012. Initially a team was

assigned to increase sampling frequency and work with local government

to identified potential sources.

 After increasing sampling frequency and point. Contamination was

confirmed. In 2014, Pollution Control Department set up a taskforce for

investigation and source identification. Groundwater level was measured

and flow direction was mapped. Potential sources upstream were identified.

Finally, contamination source was found 300 meters from where the

contamination in shallow water well was found in the first place. It is a

waste collection dump site where old solvent tank was dump in a pit and

covered by sand. In early 2015, Pollution Control Department has

submitted a formal investigation report to Ministry of Industry which

subsequently file a lawsuit against owner of the site. Pollution Control

Department is still planning to proposed a remediation plan for the site in 2016

I have been involved in design and construction of 6 projects in the Map Thailand Phut estate going back to 2001. In each and every case international standards were followed in the design of emissions controls as well as the development of operation procedures.

Unfortunately, there have been a couple of cases of opertional accidents which resulted in some toxic emissions and in some cases injuries and at least one death from an explosion in early 2000's that I can recall. In each incident, the emergency notification system at the estates worked pretty good and nearby sites were evacuated if needed.

I have lived in Ban Chang in the past and would have no problem living there or raising children as based on my professional experience consider it as safe as any other place. I would not live on the east (rayong) side close to the plant due the plume that has not been remediated yet. Of, course there is little authorized housing development on that side any way.

TH

I have lived in Ban Chang in the past and would have no problem living there or raising children as based on my professional experience consider it as safe as any other place. I would not live on the east (rayong) side close to the plant due the plume that has not been remediated yet. Of, course there is little authorized housing development on that side any way.

TH

Thanks for your comments. Where exactly do you mean on the east side as I'm in Mae Rampheung at the moment. Also what is the plume you are referring to?

Anecdotally a government worker we met who was transferred to Rayong claims her health definitely has suffered since then, works in the city but not sure what part she lives in.

I check the AQI for that area quite often.

It seems that regardless of how good or bad it is, it is always one of the worst ratings nationally.

today it is well into the orange.

It also is puzzling that every time tere is a peak in the area, one or two of the stations go "off-line".

As for the design of plants there regrading health and safety - I'm afraid I can't agree with the poster above. Regardless of how safe he believes them to be te inspection and enforcement during construction is just not up to international standards - in fact most is boiled down to "entertainment" of and backhanders to those responsible for checking.

Secondly the infrastructure on which these factories are sited and the interaction between them and the environment is just not fully considered or catered for.

Thirdly - Regardless of how "well" these places are designed, the health and safety procedures required are simply not carried out. I know from from personal experience of several quite alarming breaches.

Often thought that Ban Chang would be a tolerable good place to live. Even considered moving there.

However, I would think it much better to live a bit further down from there.

Klang? Chanthabury?

Wouldn't mind having the option of being fairly close to Koh Chang, but still able to shop in Rayong....or hitting the clubs in Pattaya.

If I wanted clean...and quiet....I would prefer Prachuap Khiri Khan.....on the other side....although it might be a bit boring.

It's amazing what an "english" pub, a golf club and a row of sleazy brothels will do to overcome common sense.

It's amazing the shi@e some people post too it would seem!

Is that a reference to your theories on winds and tides?gigglem.gif

I check the AQI for that area quite often.

It seems that regardless of how good or bad it is, it is always one of the worst ratings nationally.

today it is well into the orange.

It also is puzzling that every time tere is a peak in the area, one or two of the stations go "off-line".

As for the design of plants there regrading health and safety - I'm afraid I can't agree with the poster above. Regardless of how safe he believes them to be te inspection and enforcement during construction is just not up to international standards - in fact most is boiled down to "entertainment" of and backhanders to those responsible for checking.

Secondly the infrastructure on which these factories are sited and the interaction between them and the environment is just not fully considered or catered for.

Thirdly - Regardless of how "well" these places are designed, the health and safety procedures required are simply not carried out. I know from from personal experience of several quite alarming breaches.

So one assumes by your statements of fact, you have actually worked in the industrial complex in Maptuphut then ? I am pretty sure TH as i have and i agree with what TH is saying

Archived