Army clean-up Samui beaches and nightlife

Seem like the Army now has it turn at Samui. For the past week the nightlife has closed 2 am – however late night AfterParty Sound Club at 2.30 am, but low and slow down music the last 15 minutes, so not much after-party. Some big boss coming from Bangkok, that later was talked about, was the Army doing same clean-up as Phuket and other tourist destinations.

However, lot of folks at Green Mango from early – and Midnight is early compared to, what it used to be – so maybe either beach-parties like Ark Bar and Chga Cha Moon Beach close early; I haven't been down to check. Or just more low-season tourists than usual..?

If I compare with number of tourists on "my own beach" it is more extreme low season this year, than some of the previous years; but if I compare with how I remember the nightlife at same time of the year, it's more crowded on the dance floors. The latter could be some of the direct flights from China, as quite a number of the youngsters looks Chinese or Korean – some says that the Chinese schools already has holiday, which can explain that they comes in groups mixed with Chinese and Western looking teens.

"My beach" in Maenam used to loaded at some parts with sunbeds and restaurant tables and chairs – not overloaded in any way, but a pleasant balance with lots of rare beach and places to sit and get refreshments or dine. Yesterday afternoon I noticed that all the tables had gone, and the big signs with menu moved back, etc. Today I had a change to talk to one of the Thai restaurant-owners and ask, if anyone had complained about their sign. He looked like in an extremely bad mood and said, that »soldiers come and ask to move sign and tables.«

Before / after:

post-122720-0-52448700-1465638594_thumb.

Seem like they are allowed to put a few tables and chairs on the beach for dinner time, and move them away from beach area before closing for the night – and the restaurants close early at Maenam Beach, between 9 pm and 10 pm.

Anyone else, who has noticed if "the soldiers" are cleaning Samui up..?

Yes they were in Lamai last week, clearing up the beach, asking massage places to get all documents ready such as insurance or face being closed down in 30 days time. All beach bars and restaurants to only use 5m of land rather then down the whole beach.

Samui has remained the "forgotten island" for many years now. It is about time the army flexes some muscle there. The Ark Bar has been one of the chief offenders on the island for years now, bothering thousands of people staying on the beach, and in the hills, with their excessive volume. The owner has been warned dozens of times, and has shown utter disregard for any sort of law and order, as there is basically none of that on Samui. He just trods on, does as he likes, and then buys another Lamborghini, on the backs of the Samui guests and locals. He is a lowlife.

As far as the beach clean up, it is long overdue. I ran some numbers years ago, when I lived on Samui, and figured that for only 75,000 baht a month, you could run an entire team of clean up people, who would clean up a few beaches a day, and make their way around the island. Has the lazy, slothful, indifferent, incompetent mayor done any of that? Of course not. Why? Few of the local officials on Samui have any degree of pride in the place. It is all about the money. Money, money, money. Sometimes on Samui, the only sound I could hear was the giant sucking sound these lowlife guys made as they went about sucking as much cash out of the island as they could, without even considering putting a reasonable percentage of that money back into the place. Shame on them for fouling such a beautiful place.

I've been told that Ark Bar & Green Mango and all the clubs in that area close at 2 sharp.

I've also been told that it'll get back to normal in about 2 weeks time when the army is gone....

The opp word here is ARMY. They are showing the bib who really is the boss here by interrupting their brown envelop payments from the bars and others..GO ARMY.

Simply redirecting it to their own collectors..

Easily seen in places where they have been doing this firmly and harshly (chiang mai) where they even sell one year visas now from the army base.

Samui has remained the "forgotten island" for many years now. It is about time the army flexes some muscle there. The Ark Bar has been one of the chief offenders on the island for years now, bothering thousands of people staying on the beach, and in the hills, with their excessive volume. The owner has been warned dozens of times, and has shown utter disregard for any sort of law and order, as there is basically none of that on Samui. He just trods on, does as he likes, and then buys another Lamborghini, on the backs of the Samui guests and locals. He is a lowlife.

Jesus christ not this anti Ark bar (and anti Ark bar owner) diatribe from you again.. as discussed in the prior topic you specifically set up to slate them, given you claim that it bothers:

thousands of people staying on the beach, and in the hills

isn't it odd that nobody else complains about them on here? Surely quite a few of these people, especially the Samui residents, frequent this forum.

Strongly appears like a personal vendatta, one which you could hopefully get over now you've moved away from Samui.

I've been told that Ark Bar & Green Mango and all the clubs in that area close at 2 sharp.

I've also been told that it'll get back to normal in about 2 weeks time when the army is gone....

Correct, got a notice with dates.

Jesus christ not this anti Ark bar (and anti Ark bar owner) diatribe from you again.. as discussed in the prior topic you specifically set up to slate them, given you claim that it bothers:

thousands of people staying on the beach, and in the hills

isn't it odd that nobody else complains about them on here? Surely quite a few of these people, especially the Samui residents, frequent this forum.

Strongly appears like a personal vendatta, one which you could hopefully get over now you've moved away from Samui.

Not a vendetta at all. Just years and years of listening to out of control enterprises with complete disregard for both the law, and the local residents. Builds up over the years. I will always despise them. Always. Many complained of this. I spoke to resorts who's customers demanded refunds over the noise, on multiple occasions. Defend them all you want. They are a scourge. A plague.

Lol, some people on here amaze me, if you don't like it, why live their, just move to somewhere else. This island is full of people that just moan and do not do anything about it, the whole reason most of us moved here was because we like how it is, better then home, then as soon as some people have been here a while start to change things. Thailand is great because it is Thailand simple as!

As far as the beach clean up, it is long overdue. I ran some numbers years ago, when I lived on Samui, and figured that for only 75,000 baht a month, you could run an entire team of clean up people, who would clean up a few beaches a day, and make their way around the island. Has the lazy, slothful, indifferent, incompetent mayor done any of that? Of course not. Why? Few of the local officials on Samui have any degree of pride in the place. It is all about the money. Money, money, money. Sometimes on Samui, the only sound I could hear was the giant sucking sound these lowlife guys made as they went about sucking as much cash out of the island as they could, without even considering putting a reasonable percentage of that money back into the place. Shame on them for fouling such a beautiful place.

It was beautiful before the tourists came in their thousand and thousands. There were no large hotels and people openly took magic mushrooms and smoked Thai sticks. It has been pretty awful since the late eighties. The magic mushroom culture has been supplanted by red Bull and vodka reinforced with vile electro- pop and techno. The Samuians have no love for mainland authority and like 25 million others Thais resent the army and it's role. To quote the French electorate: 'rather a crook than a facsist!'

It was beautiful before the tourists came in their thousand and thousands. There were no large hotels and people openly took magic mushrooms and smoked Thai sticks. It has been pretty awful since the late eighties. The magic mushroom culture has been supplanted by red Bull and vodka reinforced with vile electro- pop and techno. The Samuians have no love for mainland authority and like 25 million others Thais resent the army and it's role. To quote the French electorate: 'rather a crook than a facsist!'

I really enjoyed Samui until about 2012, or so, then with the loan programs of No luck Shin, the traffic doubled overnight. Since then, it is aiming toward SW Bali, as being the most congested island in the tropics. That combined with a mind numbing lack of pride on the part of the local officials, really makes the place feel like it is going backwards in time. One thing I know for sure. Samui has not improved in the past few years. The Wild Wild West component of the place would be ok, if there was some local pride. But, without that, the place is quickly becoming a pale shadow of it's former self, which used to be quite glorious.

Probably right – that's what normally happens – and the best for the billion-of-bahts Chaweng tourist business, as they come in thousands for partying, not only the once-a-month Full Moon...

I really enjoyed Samui until about 2012, or so, then with the loan programs of No luck Shin, the traffic doubled overnight. Since then, it is aiming toward SW Bali, as being the most congested island in the tropics. That combined with a mind numbing lack of pride on the part of the local officials, really makes the place feel like it is going backwards in time. One thing I know for sure. Samui has not improved in the past few years. The Wild Wild West component of the place would be ok, if there was some local pride. But, without that, the place is quickly becoming a pale shadow of it's former self, which used to be quite glorious.

That must make you even more happy that you choose right, and moved out...thumbsup.gif

...and please now leave what's left of awful and spoiled Samui to the Samuians; some do – believe it or not – still love the island..!smile.png

That must make you even more happy that you choose right, and moved out...thumbsup.gif

...and please now leave what's left of awful and spoiled Samui to the Samuians; some do – believe it or not – still love the island..!smile.png

A while ago he was moaning that nothing has been done on Samui.... blink.png and now too much... and traffic doubled in 2012???

I don't remember that, and I've been here since 2008..... Of course I had enough sense even in 2008 to know Chawang area would be noisier than the quieter areas, such as Maeman or Ban Po... or most other areas of Samui.... whistling.gifrolleyes.gif

Which leaves more than 40 million Thais who think they are doing a good job. I've never had much time for the French, or the corrupt BIB that fail to enforce the rules around here.

Maybe Thailand will eventually get law and order

Nah,...not in our life time....measures like this are usually temporary....!!! everything will be back to the usual normal in a short while !!!

Best regards.

Correct, got a notice with dates.

Nothing has changed. Check for yourselves the beach restaurants at the end of the soi behind McDonalds Lamai and the Rasta bar on the beach next to Chaweng jet skiis !

A while ago he was moaning that nothing has been done on Samui.... blink.png and now too much... and traffic doubled in 2012???

I don't remember that, and I've been here since 2008..... Of course I had enough sense even in 2008 to know Chawang area would be noisier than the quieter areas, such as Maeman or Ban Po... or most other areas of Samui.... whistling.gifrolleyes.gif

You have not seen huge increase in traffic over the last few years? We must have been living on different islands. How about the Bhoput intersection? How about the Ring Road on the southern approach to Tesco? It was the car loan program that encouraged alot of Thai people, with very modest means, to go out an purchase a car or truck. It all changed after that.

The traffic was one of the top reasons I left. Granted, Samui still has alot going for it. It is a really beautiful place. But, the congestion in the tropics thing, is what broke this camels back. That combined with the extreme lack of pride on the part both the local officials, and most of the local business people.

You have not seen huge increase in traffic over the last few years? We must have been living on different islands.

There was a temporary increase.

But then people went back to driving motorbikes instead because it goes faster.

Yes, we live here, you moved, so how come you seen the huge increase in traffic over the last few years?

You have not seen huge increase in traffic over the last few years? We must have been living on different islands.

There was a temporary increase.

But then people went back to driving motorbikes instead because it goes faster.

Yes, we live here, you moved, so how come you seen the huge increase in traffic over the last few years?

I moved less than a year ago. Between 2012 and the time I moved, the traffic had increased dramatically. Granted, this is an exception, but a friend of mine visited Samui over the holidays, last year. It took him 2 hours to get from Nathon to Chaweng.

My general point, is that there is so much that could be done in the way of traffic mitigation, to counter the massive development going on, on Samui. Monorails, natural gas buses of all sizes, that ply the island and charge little money for their services. This would eliminate hundreds of empty taxis on the roads. I realize it would take some authority, and courage, as nobody wants to confront the all powerful taxi mafias. But, at a given point in time a man has to behave like a man. That kind of behavior is long overdue from the mayor and other local officials.

I find this really odd... all the places shut down the music at 2am sharp yet there is one "club" in Lamai that cannot be named that goes on full blast in the middle of the main stream till 4(?)am. How is this possible?

I find this really odd... all the places shut down the music at 2am sharp yet there is one "club" in Lamai that cannot be named that goes on full blast in the middle of the main stream till 4(?)am. How is this possible?

The BiB needs a place to go to for after-work activity.

Do you mean this "Club" ?smile.png

post-2639-0-57713400-1465797870_thumb.jp

Archived