BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rooster59

One dies, three hospitalized after eating raw pork

One dies, three hospitalized after eating raw pork

post-247607-0-43467600-1465699795_thumb.
Image: Thairath

NAN: One man died and three are in hospital after eating raw pork in Nan in the north of Thailand.

The sick people were all guests at a party held in a village in Thung Chang district. Singthong Intharangsee, 52, the younger brother of the Poo Yai Ban died after being affected by bacteria in the pork that caused vomiting and made him pass blood. He finally had a stroke and died on the 3rd of the month.

Three others who ate the pork - in a Thai dish called Laap - are still in hospital.

Source: Thairath

tvn.png
-- 2016-06-12

Raw pork in Thailand you gotta have a death wish.

It would seem that the adherents of beliefs which avoid the consumption of pork might be on to something. I would also include those who avoid the consumption of shellfish.

I've eaten this. You need to eat it with enough chilli to sterilise it. Quite tasty. Maybe I wont eat it again but.

I've eaten this. You need to eat it with enough chilli to sterilise it. Quite tasty. Maybe I wont eat it again but.

I ate a small small amount raw pork once, I stopped as soon as I realised it was raw.

For three days I couldn't be more than a brief dash away from a toilet.

Considering the number of locals who eat raw dishes like Laap and Loo, I am surprised there are not more deaths and illness. Longer term there is also the persistent problem of liver flukes from eating traditional raw foods. Just look at the level of liver cancer in Thailand. Alcohol doest help either.

It's a main dish at most of hill tribe weddings up here. Most people know the risks, but eat it any way.

It won't happen to me, right, I just eat a little.

Laab Moo should not be raw!

I have been eating it for 35 years, never had it with raw pork though.....

Raw pork in Thailand you gotta have a death wish.

Raw pork anywhere has got to be iffy but more so in hot countries, that's one reason Jews and Arabs don't touch the stuff! And because they see pigs as unclean of course!

It would seem that the adherents of beliefs which avoid the consumption of pork might be on to something. I would also include those who avoid the consumption of shellfish.

You are quite right.

Those avoiding pork are mostly doing this on religious grounds.

Nothing wrong with that.

Based on experience with the possible destructive qualities of pork if not fresh, clean or cooked very well.

Most Thai food is not healthy, long term.!

Most Thai people seem to be alive, long term.

Nothing wrong with pork if you have a few brain cells and cook it well first. I wouldn't eat raw meat of any animal anywhere.