One dies, three hospitalized after eating raw pork

rooster59

One dies, three hospitalized after eating raw pork

post-247607-0-43467600-1465699795_thumb.
Image: Thairath

NAN: One man died and three are in hospital after eating raw pork in Nan in the north of Thailand.

The sick people were all guests at a party held in a village in Thung Chang district. Singthong Intharangsee, 52, the younger brother of the Poo Yai Ban died after being affected by bacteria in the pork that caused vomiting and made him pass blood. He finally had a stroke and died on the 3rd of the month.

Three others who ate the pork - in a Thai dish called Laap - are still in hospital.

Source: Thairath

tvn.png
-- 2016-06-12

I've eaten this. You need to eat it with enough chilli to sterilise it. Quite tasty. Maybe I wont eat it again but.

I ate a small small amount raw pork once, I stopped as soon as I realised it was raw.

For three days I couldn't be more than a brief dash away from a toilet.

Considering the number of locals who eat raw dishes like Laap and Loo, I am surprised there are not more deaths and illness. Longer term there is also the persistent problem of liver flukes from eating traditional raw foods. Just look at the level of liver cancer in Thailand. Alcohol doest help either.

Raw pork in Thailand you gotta have a death wish.

Raw pork anywhere has got to be iffy but more so in hot countries, that's one reason Jews and Arabs don't touch the stuff! And because they see pigs as unclean of course!

It would seem that the adherents of beliefs which avoid the consumption of pork might be on to something. I would also include those who avoid the consumption of shellfish.

You are quite right.

Those avoiding pork are mostly doing this on religious grounds.

Nothing wrong with that.

Based on experience with the possible destructive qualities of pork if not fresh, clean or cooked very well.

I've eaten this. You need to eat it with enough chilli to sterilise it. Quite tasty. Maybe I wont eat it again but.

That is what people say, but in reality chili, in any quantity, kills less than 75% of bacteria, so it's just a gamble, if there is e.coli present then chili will not be enough to kill it completely, this has been demonstrated under scientific conditions. Garlic and cinnamon both have a much better chance of sterilizing your food than chili.

Nothing wrong with pork if you have a few brain cells and cook it well first. I wouldn't eat raw meat of any animal anywhere.

I eat raw meat all the time, beef jerky, smoked salmon, dry cured salami, prosciutto, speck, all perfectly safe as long as prepared correctly.

The army of cleaning girls in my building are always ill, stomach pains and rushing to the loo. They buy from the street carts at 11 am and often throughout the day too. Never a day goes by when there isn't one or two writhing in pain. I often tell them to bring their own food from home, but they just laugh.

It would seem that the adherents of beliefs which avoid the consumption of pork might be on to something. I would also include those who avoid the consumption of shellfish.

l was visiting a friend in hospital in PNG in the 70s & there was a native girl admitted who had eaten raw pork, actually undercooked pork & she was suffering from gangrene of her intestines.

Her screams of pain were reverberating throughout the hospital & a Doctor told me that there was nothing that they could do for her & she was going to die.

l stay right away from any type of pork, although l do love bacon.

Don't like shellfish either.

l was visiting a friend in hospital in PNG in the 70s & there was a native girl admitted who had eaten raw pork, actually undercooked pork & she was suffering from gangrene of her intestines.

Her screams of pain were reverberating throughout the hospital & a Doctor told me that there was nothing that they could do for her & she was going to die.

l stay right away from any type of pork, although l do love bacon.

Don't like shellfish either.

Pain management is rather bad here, if they knew she was dying why not give her strong opiates to dull the pain, no she might get hooked on it !!! A horrible story which is why i shall never eat uncooked food. When my grandfather was dying at home of stomach cancer my grandmother was lucky enough to have a caring doctor and persuaded him to increase the doses of Morphine on his daily visits until it was fatal and put him out of his misery.

Laab Moo should not be raw!

Come up to a hill tribe wedding, you will find it not only raw, but smothered in raw blood like in the OP picture. But you will see everyone stuffing it in their faces just the same and then they will smile at you with blood soaked teeth.

Even my wife wouldn't eat uncooked pork. She states these dishes are also popular in Issan like uncooked pork, beef and river food.

I just got done a few days ago with a cooked chicken basil dish. The stomach pains were excruciating and now in to my third day of cipro antibiotics. The local Bangkok Hospital in PHS sorted me out okay, but they couldn't make the pain go away. Though fair play to the doctor she did offer to inject me with pain relief which I refused as it isn't really a long-term solution. I wouldn't wish the agony on anyone.

Nothing wrong with pork if you have a few brain cells and cook it well first. I wouldn't eat raw meat of any animal anywhere.

I eat raw meat all the time, beef jerky, smoked salmon, dry cured salami, prosciutto, speck, all perfectly safe as long as prepared correctly.

For information.... commonly recalled food products, to protect consumer health, are conveniently listed above.

This is NOT Laab Moo, it is Laab Lert which is raw and the "gravy" (look at the picture) is made with pig's blood.

I am a big fan of Laab Moo and eat it once or twice a week. I've had Laab Lert up country and it is tasty, but I like my meat cooked.

Some eat shellfish, I do not, others eat sushi, I do not. I have had the "Thai Trotts" a few times but not as often as from eating a curry in the UK.

wai.gif

Archived