BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rooster59

One dies, three hospitalized after eating raw pork

Nothing wrong with pork if you have a few brain cells and cook it well first. I wouldn't eat raw meat of any animal anywhere.

I eat raw meat all the time, beef jerky, smoked salmon, dry cured salami, prosciutto, speck, all perfectly safe as long as prepared correctly.

FYI all the food you just named inhere is not raw food anymore. it's preserved in some kind of way. The salting and the smoking "cooks" the meat and fish in some kind of way.

Raw means food as steak tartare or sushi or in this case laab leuat. Just been cut of the animal, maybe added some spices and some other things and then been eaten directly. No preservation or heating in any kind of way

FYI preserving is not cooking, which is defined as heating the food, your "some kind of way" is actually control of bacterial growth. And this dish is actually along the same lines, it has been sterilized with chili and garlic.

I cook fish without heat using lemon and lime juice.

Laab Moo should not be raw!

Come up to a hill tribe wedding, you will find it not only raw, but smothered in raw blood like in the OP picture. But you will see everyone stuffing it in their faces just the same and then they will smile at you with blood soaked teeth.

This raw meat dish, laap dip, is found at most Lanna Thai weddings, not just hilltribe weddings. I consider it to be one of the signature dishes of Lanna Land. It is not smothered in raw blood and having eaten it countless times, with little ill effect, I have never seen anyone with "blood soaked teeth" Now there is the raw blood, laap lue or laap luat, which is far less common to encounter and is considered more a macho meal for men who are drinking.

Laab Moo should not be raw!

Come up to a hill tribe wedding, you will find it not only raw, but smothered in raw blood like in the OP picture. But you will see everyone stuffing it in their faces just the same and then they will smile at you with blood soaked teeth.

This raw meat dish, laap dip, is found at most Lanna Thai weddings, not just hilltribe weddings. I consider it to be one of the signature dishes of Lanna Land. It is not smothered in raw blood and having eaten it countless times, with little ill effect, I have never seen anyone with "blood soaked teeth" Now there is the raw blood, laap lue or laap luat, which is far less common to encounter and is considered more a macho meal for men who are drinking.

We only have the macho dish up here I guess. Anyhow, I see it and I avoid it. So I will take your word on the variations of the theme. It is all an invitation for a hospital trip and I already have the T-shirt.

Most Thai food is not healthy, long term.!

Western food is the cause of obesity..back home.

American style fast food is the cause of obesity, much of the European food culture is in fact quite healthy, as with everything else, moderation is important. A Mediterranean diet is recommended by dietitians.Thai food in its pure form is healthy