Seeds will not sprout

I'm stumped. I've planted seeds twice in the last five weeks. I've used a combination of seed trays, small cups, or just planting in the ground. And I've planted in commercial soil and in the native soil in the garden. I've bought the seeds from two different sources and I'm well within the expiration dates of the seeds. My sweet corn, snow peas, bitter gourd, green peppers, simply did not sprout. I can dig the seeds out, and nada, nothing.

Here's examples of seeds planted in cups and a 100 pod seed tray. Out of the pods that I planted seeds in only one plant sprouted. My success in cups and plastic bags was significantly better, example cukes and tomatoes I planted in seed trays never sprouted. Planted in plastic bags or cups, they did. See picture.

post-87058-0-95950200-1465705494_thumb.j

My corn, green peppers, snow peas, cilantro, and bitter gourd would not spout regardless of how I planted them.

I'm getting a late start here considering that I'm fighting to get seedlings instead of concentrating on growing the plants. I think the weeds that grow with ease are mocking the commercial seeds. rolleyes.gif

I'm open for suggestions.

Those those large chunks of something in your "potting soil?" If it's packed too tightly or if large chunks could obstruct, they might now grow. They need a really loose medium to sprout. Also, seeds need a certain planting depth. You can google that for your particular seed.

Cheers.

It could be several reasons, I see too many shops here set there seed display out in full sun... which is not good.... that will cause poor or no germination.

Neversures answer about soil, is good, it looks heavy and should be finer and well drained, which sometimes means mixing with sharp sand.

Drain Holes at the bottom should allow water to pass through freely, sitting seed tray on the ground, may prevent that. Avoid over watering.

Shade trays if in full sun until seed is germinated, then allow seedlings to get hardened off to sunnier conditions.

It could be several reasons, I see too many shops here set there seed display out in full sun... which is not good.... that will cause poor or no germination.

Neversures answer about soil, is good, it looks heavy and should be finer and well drained, which sometimes means mixing with sharp sand.

Drain Holes at the bottom should allow water to pass through freely, sitting seed tray on the ground, may prevent that. Avoid over watering.

Shade trays if in full sun until seed is germinated, then allow seedlings to get hardened off to sunnier conditions.

The soil mixture has some larger, straw-like organic matter in it, and in the picture it looks heavy because I had just watered it. But point taken. I think I'll pick up a different commercial soil while in Chiang Mai and some sand locally. The native soil in my garden is very clay-like and could probably use some sand and organic matter mixed into the beds. I'll try 'round three' of planting this coming week using a different soil mixture, new seeds, and will get the seed trays off the ground and out of direct sun until the sprouts break out.

Too bad the commercial seeds don't grow like the weeds which just flourish in our soil.

Seed germination is very temperature dependent.

Sweet peppers like to be around 26C 80F, any hotter and they will take longer or not start at all.

Sweet corn like 16- 32C, hotter and you won't have much luck.

Gourds like from 15 to 18C, they are normally planted just after the winter in Europe, not much chance at the moment, best left for the cool months.

If you try again, then just make sure that they do not get any direct sun at all as they will stand no chance if the pots heat up in the sun.

Wonder if there is a problem with your water? Lotta minerals throwing the pH off. Also, I agree with being careful to not overwater.

Any idea of the nominal pH level for the water. I have the ability to test it.

Don't know, but plants generally prefer a slightly acidic soil. So if the water is above 7.5, or below 6.0 ... maybe you'd wanna investigate further. Really, I don't know, just tossing out an idea. You could always experiment by using bottled water (and testing that pH too) compared with the water you've been using to see how the same plants fare under otherwise identical conditions.

How's the neighbours doing with growing veggies.... Are they doing OK?

I can't speak for your area, but here on Samui, Ph is quite high, ideally it should be lower, but plants seem to do OK...

If PH is high how would you measure and calibrate to lower the PH..?. We used to use Sulphuric Acid, in one area of Canada to lower PH, but need a special injector to measure and pump into the watering system. I think a step too far! (Plant Nursery situation)

One other thought I had after posting yesterday, if there is rice husks available in your area, that serves well for mixing with the soil.... instead of sand.. (Rice husks would be better than sand if a lot of clay...)wink.png

When I see my neighbours sowing veggies, they just scatter the seed on prepared soil... cover with coconut fronds until germination, takes place and remove the covering. ( you could use the netting, available in 50 or 70% ) Usually seed is up in three or four days...

They are not fussy as we are to put things in straight rows like us westerners! Although with some crops they do transplant for spacing.

Typical bed set up.

_MG_6247-2-31.jpg

I strongly agree with samuijimmy. Seeds from seed racks that get hit by sun are probably bad. Find a store that has their racks well inside. Consider buying seeds in cans from an inside shelf. Even then if the packets get exposed to high temps, but not sun, the viability can go way down.

Except for sweet peppers the none of the other seeds need to go into a cup or bag. Sow directly into the ground. Take some of your commercial soil and mix it in you beds.

For coriander or cilantro wrap your seeds in a cloth and soak thoroughly and then moisten every few hours until the seeds start to sprout and sow directly into your bed. I would soak the snow peas for an hour before planting and maybe do some like the coriander

For now I wouldn't worry about the soil. If none of your seeds germinate you got bad seeds. If the seeds germinate and don't grow, then look at the soil and water.

Good luck.

Hello All, this is what I've been using for my 17+ years here in Korat, all can be

picked up here at roadside stands/shops is the coir and the Klasmann's peat

seed starting mix at two shops and at the big Talat Produce market.

Again as people have pointed out, TOO WET, you only need to keep moist!

Not soaked, and can dry a little on the surface before you water again.

The pic of Klasmann's and the coir, the coir is dried out in the pic, and is

the cheapest at @B.100 for the same size as the Klasmann's at @B.400.

I use a 50-50 mix of the two. Straight coir will also work, I have posted pic's

of this in the past on one of the Hydroponics threads.

You can use a weak compost/cowshit tea to water plants if you are growing

to a larger size before you T-P.

The plants are covered with poly film with shade cloth in full sun!

Will be starting again next month, but more toms, all seed is from USA.

rice555

post-37242-0-69404500-1465806278_thumb.j

post-37242-0-65223800-1465806321_thumb.j

post-37242-0-55201900-1465806392_thumb.p

• 1 month later...

Hello All, this is what I've been using for my 17+ years here in Korat, all can be

rice555

Hello Rice! Where did you get the sack of potground? I also live in Korat, but have never seen this here.

Re coir: there is a little place just after Dan Kwian pottery village on the left-hand side as you drive towards Chokchai. They sell really big sacks of coir and coconut shell chippings dirt cheap. Sorry I can't remember the prices or quantity sold.

Hello All, the shop is in the Big Produce market by the Gov. Hospital.

If you turn at IT Plaza off 224 down town and drive back behind the

hospital and stay on the road into the market, and drive almost all the

way to the end, on the L/H side is a shop that sells seed, plug trays

of vegs & flowers.

The shop is about 50m where you turn to go to go to the Hwy between

Marko and the main Korat bus station.

The other place that sells it is about 100 M from the Main PO where you

have to pick up packages to pay duty, not the PO next to Crown Plaza

and the CAT office. With the PO at your back and you look across the rd.

and see water. Look L and about 100 M on the far R/H corner is a 5-6

floor building with a ag store on the ground floor. Thats where I got it 15

years ago and several time since. Was there yesterday with the wife to get

veg seeds, the wife is growing more carrots.

Will post a map after I have my second cup.

rice555

rice555

Hello Rice! Where did you get the sack of potground? I also live in Korat, but have never seen this here.

Re coir: there is a little place just after Dan Kwian pottery village on the left-hand side as you drive towards Chokchai. They sell really big sacks of coir and coconut shell chippings dirt cheap. Sorry I can't remember the prices or quantity sold.

Can you post a pic of the coir place, the place by The Mall at Ya Mo Market hasn't had

a good supply of coir in a long time and only sold small quantities.

I need about 10 rice bags worth for growing hydro toms & chilies.

The 19th is seeding day for the new crop.

rice555

Here's the 2 places:

1. at the top of the soi, a "one way" running from the bottom of the pic up to you make a L. to get on Hwy.2 of R.

to go back to the back of the market. The shop is within M's of the red arrow. You see a little up ant to the L.

it says ATM, just below that on Hyw. 2 is a 7-11.

The other place is pictured on the L., all the rollup doors is the shop on the corner, see the phone stand, the next

pic if from that angle looking to the Main PO, which is through the intersection and up on the R. by the trees.

Klang(Crown) Plaza "1" is up 2 blocks on the L.

rice555

post-37242-0-98876000-1468487184_thumb.p

post-37242-0-73307700-1468487247_thumb.p

post-37242-0-74573500-1468487279_thumb.p

One more time with pic.

1.Talat Korat, the yellow line is starting in the back of the hospital, this is

coming from IT Plaza off Hwy 224. The orange & red lines is if you come off

Hwy 2.

The black arrow is a shop(the one on the L) had(has??) a imported peat tray

substrate which I tried one time, not bad and is sold through Chia Tai.

Or you drive almost all the way to the end and on the L is the place I usually

buy from as they also plants, had strawberries one time. In the pic, its the

one on the R, green sign with P/N.

2. A better map and pic from the front of Uin's marked with a red arrow and

the and the white square is the Main Korat PO.

3. This place is out past HomePro on Hwy 204(?), The one they moved from

The Mall, NOT the one across from Lotus on 224.

This is where I buy most of my 25Kg bags of chems for Hydro. They also have

a store in Pac Chong. The pic is shot as we were leaving with a bag of Potassium

Sulphate.. It is on the L side going E. The P/N is 044-938-917 & 918.

PS, the P/N may be the old P/N. They were using up their supply of bags and

receipts with old #, but information will give you the right one and call for

directions. Not shire if the have Peat tray mix or not.

Number 2 is the only place that is English friendly.

rice555

post-37242-0-81802900-1468531616_thumb.p

post-37242-0-11842400-1468531670_thumb.p

post-37242-0-06201900-1468531732_thumb.p

post-37242-0-55801000-1468531817_thumb.p

post-37242-0-34819300-1468531847_thumb.p

post-37242-0-16061300-1468531874_thumb.p

One more time with pic.

1.Talat Korat, the yellow line is starting in the back of the hospital, this is

coming from IT Plaza off Hwy 224. The orange & red lines is if you come off

Hwy 2.

The black arrow is a shop(the one on the L) had(has??) a imported peat tray

substrate which I tried one time, not bad and is sold through Chia Tai.

Or you drive almost all the way to the end and on the L is the place I usually

buy from as they also plants, had strawberries one time. In the pic, its the

one on the R, green sign with P/N.

2. A better map and pic from the front of Uin's marked with a red arrow and

the and the white square is the Main Korat PO.

3. This place is out past HomePro on Hwy 204(?), The one they moved from

The Mall, NOT the one across from Lotus on 224.

This is where I buy most of my 25Kg bags of chems for Hydro. They also have

a store in Pac Chong. The pic is shot as we were leaving with a bag of Potassium

Sulphate.. It is on the L side going E. The P/N is 044-938-917 & 918.

PS, the P/N may be the old P/N. They were using up their supply of bags and

receipts with old #, but information will give you the right one and call for

directions. Not shire if the have Peat tray mix or not.

Number 2 is the only place that is English friendly.

rice555

Dear Rice555, thank you very much. I have a good idea now where it is. I pass the bus station at least twice a week so it'll be no problem for me to run in and buy a few bags from time to time. Thanks a million for taking the time to upload the photos.

Re the coir, soil and manure supplier out by Dan Kwian pottery village: Travelling FROM Korat City in the direction of Chok Chai - you'll find the place 100 meters after the two huge pots at the entrance of the road leading up to the pottery shops and immigration Korat. It's immediately after the small school also on the left hand side. There's a derelict building in the yard (see photo). They also sell a few small bags by the roadside but, if you want the big sacks, then you should drive into the yard and go over to the upper, right hand corner.

I vaguely remember paying ฿ 60 for a big sack of coir.

On a slightly different note: there is a new noodle restaurant on the opposite side of the road (brown building). If you're feeling a little hungry after buying the coir I can highly recommend the noodles there.

post-45719-0-51273300-1468598394_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All, this my new starts that were seeded on July 19, and started popping up the 23rd.

Again, this is a 50-50 mix of coir and Klasmanns with not enough perlite to call 1%.

The pics are of the trays of 5@ of 12 verities of tom's. The eggs and chilies will start showing

late this week or next. A mix of OP and Hyb. and saved seeds.

We've had rain and heavy rains since the 19th., one reason for starting under plastic and

shade cloth. We've also been in the low 90's when it wasn't raining.

The seed, new and the saved seed all came fro TGS FL.

rice555

post-37242-0-56687200-1469387457_thumb.p

post-37242-0-36047900-1469387495_thumb.p

post-37242-0-30772300-1469387559_thumb.j

post-37242-0-06441100-1469387602_thumb.j

post-37242-0-79863000-1469387642_thumb.j

Archived