how can i go about getting a thai drivers license ?

riorobc023

Regrettably, the US Embassy in Bangkok does not issue driving licences in Thailand!

Perhaps try taking your US license to the Thai drivers licence offices, Dept of Motor Vehicles and get it exchanged for a Thai license.

Regrettably, the US Embassy in Bangkok does not issue driving licences in Thailand!

Perhaps try taking your US license to the Thai drivers licence offices, Dept of Motor Vehicles and get it exchanged for a Thai license.

That was surely not the idea of the OP.

But it could proof advantageous if they (DLT) insist on a proof of residence from US embassy.

As far as I remember the IDP from the US is a "1949 treaty" type and so their should be absolutely no reason to decline.

(some nitpickers at DLT might refuse the "1968" type that European countries issue).

If all else fails agree with previous post #5.

It is dead easy and takes a couple of hours. Go to the Government driving centre on Sukhumvit rd. When i did it was a little way past On Nut bts on the outbound side. Now i think Bang Chak bts is better located.

Just take all the appropiate documents which can easily be found online to the center. You wil have to sit and wait for a while as per custom, do a few little tests for eyesight, coordination etc then they give you a 1 year licence first up after which you get a 5 year.

Because you already have a licence i dont believe you actually need to drive a car, well i did not. I would take a local with you to try and make the whole process less confusing, but overall not to bad.

It was a while ago since doing mine but i presume the location abd set up is unchanged.

Archived