Beer chits issued to Nataree's foreign staff to "pay off officials"

webfact

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it would have been an excellent time to get some statistics of the percentages if HIV positive girls, if any. Why didn't they???

I wonder if they were concerned about the impact on tourism or if it just didn't cross their mind.

Since they were all 'Sex-workers' it would have been a good time to compile statistics................IMHO................

whether it is cash or kind a bribe is a bribe and it could be one of the reasons why why foreigners get up beaten and not much is done about it.if the above report is true with the police on the side of massage operators foreigners have little chance of redress.

a beginning has been made to clean up the massage houses and we hope better times will follow.

Really, how many beers do you drink at the local massage parlor? Hardly worth while unless you did like drinking at a massage shop or could take carryouts. Still, I'd of bought one off Ebay if I wasn't outbid.

'chits' have been used in bars forever here in LOS. I can remember buying a drink for a girl and she got a 'coupon' or 'chit' for each drink. At the end of her shift she was given money for the number of 'chits' for that day's drink commissions........

In the case of massage it may have been quite similar, for each massage during that day she has a 'chit'..... At the end of the day she is paid her commission for how many massage (customers) that day. or since they were good for 30 days the girl could collect after saving a number of them (only concern maybe losing some 'chits' by holding them too long).....

As far as name of beer suppliers, I think the establishment was just taking advantage of a 'free supply' of paper 'chits'.........

As far as 'chits' for police they probably worked on the same basis..............

'chits' have been used in bars forever here in LOS. I can remember buying a drink for a girl and she got a 'coupon' or 'chit' for each drink. At the end of her shift she was given money for the number of 'chits' for that day's drink commissions........

In the case of massage it may have been quite similar, for each massage during that day she has a 'chit'..... At the end of the day she is paid her commission for how many massage (customers) that day. or since they were good for 30 days the girl could collect after saving a number of them (only concern maybe losing some 'chits' by holding them too long).....

As far as name of beer suppliers, I think the establishment was just taking advantage of a 'free supply' of paper 'chits'.........

As far as 'chits' for police they probably worked on the same basis..............

you miss the whole point - are you REALLY that naive?

My guess is that a local 'popular beer brand' did their own months of 'research' at the parlor, and then pleaded with the owner/manager to be able to pay with beer chits (probably stolen from their boss) instead of baht. The girls were then probably paid (against their wishes!) with these beer chits instead of the pay promised, so the owner/manager comes out okay. And hey, the girls are illegal, so they can't complain. It's an age-old scam: pay with other than legal tender to keep employees in debt. What is the old song: 'I owe my soul to the company store.'

Conversely, you can be sure the police were paid with girls and cash.

I think it would have been an excellent time to get some statistics of the percentages if HIV positive girls, if any. Why didn't they???

I wonder if they were concerned about the impact on tourism or if it just didn't cross their mind.

Since they were all 'Sex-workers' it would have been a good time to compile statistics................IMHO................

Most places if not all have the girls tested monthly. My one friend owns a go-go bar and his girls are tested monthly too.

Doesn't work the same at a massage. When you choose a girl at a soapy massage you go to the counter to pay and the girls number is taken down on a ledger and this is how she is paid. She's not given a chit.

Did you read the article, they said the girls were given Chits to pay to police, not for them to get paid.

'... resulted in the transfer of several local policemen to inactive posts ...' Plenty of those to be had in the boxes that occupy all of the major road junctions, not to say a few of the minor ones, too.

That would be too much of a sanction. I'm convinced that they've been sat in a comfy air-conditioned office with a computer so that Facebook can keep them busy all day while "inactive".

Doesn't work the same at a massage. When you choose a girl at a soapy massage you go to the counter to pay and the girls number is taken down on a ledger and this is how she is paid. She's not given a chit.

Did you read the article, they said the girls were given Chits to pay to police, not for them to get paid.

You are correct but perhaps the girls payment for lady drinks work the same way as in a bar, given a chit that is claimed later for payment. Normally Thais will sit and chat with the girls before and after their massage.

I think they were only guessing that the police given the chits.

shhhhh the tourist, although pity the police spouses - I'll bet it's crossing their minds

Archived