Frozen Food.

Paul Laycock

How do most of you transport your frozen food? I use a polystyrene box and try and get a couple of bags of crushed ice from makro. If it's not available I don't buy. Ice cubes don't do the job sufficiently for me.

Just wondering, I'm not going to convert my car into a freezer truck so you can forget that suggestion.

With the heat/weather as it's been an alternative would be good. Not home deliveries as well.

I usually shop at makro, BigC and Tops, that takes about 4 hours, with a meal break.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Paul,

If you want to keep your frozen products. I would recommend to use a foam box and put dry ice inside. With this method, you can keep your frozen products in a very good condition up to 12 hours.

You can also simply use some frozen gel pack then you should be able to keep your products in your foam box up to 4 hours.

Hope it helps.thumbsup.gif

I am surprised the number of times,I have been in a Supermarket and in

the freezers the products are soft barely frozen,Chips,Pizza,Ready meals,

that was Carrefour and same when Big C took over,even Makro sometimes.

I just use polybox,as never more than an hour,from shop to home

regards worgeordie

The cheapest way is to freeze a couple (or more, depending on the space you have) of plastic water bottles (1,5 or 2 liters as well).

If you put the freezed bottles inside a polystirol case you can keep cold for hours...

To avoid they wet everything just wrap it in a paper page.

I also used to put food in my luggage and it works very well.

wai2.gif

We just use a regular cool box (a decent one mind not the simple foam boxes), the frozen stuff goes at the bottom, chilled (milk etc) at the top.

Never had an issue after an hour or so in the back of the truck.

How long do you need to keep it frozen? How about one of those 12V chiller boxes?

Crossy, I'm normally out for three or four hours. Trip from Loengnoktha to Mukdahan, journey time 45 Minutes each way, stop at makro, BigC and Tops. My sister in law drives for me and guides me around as I have a disability with walking.

Thanks for the reply.

I just refreeze it, does it really matter, I've been doing this for years and it's never made me ill, or the food taste bad.

I don't worry about 'sell by' dates either. People worry too much these days.

I could have written that.

Home country indoctrination and fear factor is probably responsible. Cook your food properly i.e. piping hot and you are unlikely to have a problem.

Dry ice is pretty good for longer journeys. I used to have food sent from Pattaya to Buriram - never a problem.

But you do not need the dry ice until you buy your produce so the source should be looked for there rather than the rice fields. For the return trip. We were doing this shuffle more than 45 years ago when buying in Bangkok for transport to Takhli; so expect most cities would have a source these days (although probably not something most of us know about).

Yes but have you ever stood in line at makro, by the time you get outside to your car your produce is getting soft. If anyone knows where to buy dry ice in Mukdahan, I would like to know and directions.

Refrozen food to me is a good way to get food poisoning or a few hours spent on the toilet - stock up on toilet roll supply.

Yes but have you ever stood in line at makro, by the time you get outside to your car your produce is getting soft. If anyone knows where to buy dry ice in Mukdahan, I would like to know and directions.

Refrozen food to me is a good way to get food poisoning or a few hours spent on the toilet - stock up on toilet roll supply.

i dont know what frozen food you buy,but all the supermarkets put out for sale frozen,pork,chicken ect sits in troffs half full of defrosted water the is sold as fresh.

toilet roll come fresh and not frozen but most are as soft as s-it.

A god example of western indoctrination that instills a fear of food!

NEVER have I had an issue with transported frozen foods - from MAKRO or anywhere else. Many journeys have been over an hour (occasionally 4+ if driving back from Pattaya).

On occasions food has started to thaw but I have just packed meat and fish etc in the freezer straight away.

Cooking food thoroughly is the best way of avoiding food poising - although you are more likely to attract it from vegetables (washed (or not) in unclean water from Thai food vendors.

Not experienced food poisoning in 10 years in Thailand - nor did the customers in the restaurant I owned.

I'm not a newbie to Thailand or food, in a past life in the UK I purchased food for a living, dairy products, meat, tinned goods and fresh veg along with frozen goods as well. If refrozen food is your standard I won't be eating at your restaurant any time soon.

the water worries me more than anything,although i cook my food well,no medium steak,pork and fish,but anything i wash i do make sure its well wiped and DRY.i mostly use the water we buy eg,soaking potatoes for boil or chips.in over 36yrs.i have never had food poisoning only the DELI BELLY.bah.gif

Archived