Scottish dad fears ex-soldier son is murder victim after he goes missing during trip to Thailand

webfact

Fife Dad fears ex-soldier son is murder victim after he goes missing during trip to Thailand
BY JAMES MONCUR

STEVE Balfour disappeared during a trip to visit his daughter, with one friend claiming he'd said if anything happened to him, it'd be his ex-wife's fault.

scot.jpg
Steven Balfour (pictured with ex-wife Nan) has been missing since May

GLASGOW: -- THE family of a Scots dad who vanished in Thailand more than a month ago believe he has been murdered.

Ex-soldier Steve Balfour disappeared on one of his regular trips to the country to see his six-year-old daughter Georgina, who lives with her Thai mum in Pattaya.

He has not been seen since May 14, and his passport and belongings were found in his hotel room.

Steve, 35, split from wife Nan Kidaw in a bitter divorce last year.

And a close friend has claimed that he warned during a Facebook chat: “If anything ever happens to me, it’s her that’s done it.”

Full story: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/fife-dad-fears-ex-soldier-8213339#EJPsHrvlpAijArwp.97

-- Daily Record 2016-06-17

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup there's another one for sure.... R.I.P where ever you are....11yrs here for me now and I hate this country, my plans to return home are coming soon....it's a bitter and brutal country once you look deeper into the people who live here.....bye bye Lieland

Yup there's another one for sure.... R.I.P where ever you are....11yrs here for me now and I hate this country, my plans to return home are coming soon....it's a bitter and brutal country once you look deeper into the people who live here.....bye bye Lieland

Yep, a good few expats are in the "bitter" category.

Staying away from expat forums would be a good start if you hate the country.

I've lived here 3 times as long as you and personally love the country and the people - good riddance.

Well said. Ditto plans.

Well said. Ditto plans.

Great two bitter ones on the way out.

I wonder if you'd be miserable in any land. Are you over 50 by any chance?

wonder of the guy he got in a fight with was his girls new man. bar girls are amazing at manipulating their customers. you never know what a thai is thinking behind their smile. i know a couple guys who thought they had great relationships who got dumped and told their girl always hated them. i have 2 kids with a thai girl and we get along ok. i pay her a monthly salary. i am worth more to her alive so hopefully it will stay that way.

wonder of the guy he got in a fight with was his girls new man. bar girls are amazing at manipulating their customers. you never know what a thai is thinking behind their smile. i know a couple guys who thought they had great relationships who got dumped and told their girl always hated them. i have 2 kids with a thai girl and we get along ok. i pay her a monthly salary. i am worth more to her alive so hopefully it will stay that way.

And some people say the sky's the limit. You've proved them wrong.

Pattaya tattood darkskin bargirl as a wife. Excellent decision ?... Love kills.

Nothing wrong with dark skin but tattoos and Pattaya says it all, how sad. I hope justice prevails.

Loads of Thai women have tattoos, from superstars to university students, to those rebelling against a conservative society to women who are fans of rock/metal bands or who just like tattoos. Perhaps the Pattaya thing is the greater indicator. To be honest though, I'm not here to judge anyone's appearance, I'm more concerned about where he is and the child involved.

You married someone that you don't know what they are thinking?

You give your wife a salary! What for exactly?

No wonder you get along ok.

Nothing wrong with dark skin but tattoos and Pattaya says it all, how sad. I hope justice prevails.

Loads of Thai women have tattoos, from superstars to university students, to those rebelling against a conservative society to women who are fans of rock/metal bands or who just like tattoos. Perhaps the Pattaya thing is the greater indicator. To be honest though, I'm not here to judge anyone's appearance, I'm more concerned about where he is and the child involved.

i'm talking the COMBINATION of the 4: tattoo+bargirl+pattaya+dark skin. Recipe for disaster... 50% of these girls have no ethics and are psychopatic and emotionally dead.

Staying away from expat forums would be a good start if you hate the country.

I've lived here 3 times as long as you and personally love the country and the people - good riddance.

Fantastic, you have lived in Thailand three times longer than him and love the people. This gives you the right to feel smug? Good riddance to you too sir.

With a delay of more than a month before ringing the bell, I fear he's a goner! Most likely the fight was about his daughter who most certainly has been parked with grandma or some "uncle" somewhere in Issaan until she's old enough to bcome a valuable "asset". The photo, the eyes and the staged "smile" of Nan tell me more than I even want to know... sad.png

You married someone that you don't know what they are thinking?

You give your wife a salary! What for exactly?

No wonder you get along ok.

i have been living in thailand for 10 years and running a business employing thai people. one thai single mother was working for me for a long time. she was great and i paid her extra money, helped her out when ever i could, helped her move apartment with my pickup a few times. people would joke about us and i would reply she is like my sister as i had no romantic interest in her. in the end she quit one day over a very small matter and wont even look at me if i see her in public. this is just one example of how hard it is to read thais. you may think you know your girl but they can hold a small grudge against you for years without ever showing it.

i have 2 kids with a thai girl, she works full time raising them, she needs money for food and diapers and associated expenses. paying a set salary helps me to budget my expenditure and keeps her spending her money carefully.

back to the topic, hope they find up where this guy ended up. someone must know who the guy is who he got in a fight with when he was last seen. dosent sound like the officials are doing much about it.

And some people say the sky's the limit. You've proved them wrong.

sky is the limit on what?

really dont want to sound like a thai basher but i think thats the way some of my comments may have come across. i have nothing against thai people despite not understanding them very well. this is thailand and we are here by choice. choosing to live in a country where you hate the native people seems to be a mistake if you are looking for a happy life.

Does she let you have fun with her salary?

"you never know what a thai is thinking "

thinking??

are you being overly optimistic?

i'm talking the COMBINATION of the 4: tattoo+bargirl+pattaya+dark skin. Recipe for disaster... 50% of these girls have no ethics and are psychopatic and emotionally dead.

Does that leaves 50% of good ones !?!?!

Does she let you have fun with her salary?

not sure i understand you. she spends what she has to on the kids and does what ever she wants with the rest. i dont have any say over what she spends it on and i dont care as long as the kids are looked after. this is all getting a bit off topic.

Nothing wrong with tattoos either.

Archived