Scottish dad fears ex-soldier son is murder victim after he goes missing during trip to Thailand

webfact

Yup there's another one for sure.... R.I.P where ever you are....11yrs here for me now and I hate this country, my plans to return home are coming soon....it's a bitter and brutal country once you look deeper into the people who live here.....bye bye Lieland

This story has taken a big emotional toll on you. harden up man! its not your problem

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wonder of the guy he got in a fight with was his girls new man. bar girls are amazing at manipulating their customers. you never know what a thai is thinking behind their smile. i know a couple guys who thought they had great relationships who got dumped and told their girl always hated them. i have 2 kids with a thai girl and we get along ok. i pay her a monthly salary. i am worth more to her alive so hopefully it will stay that way.

Most posters on TV seem to miss the point. Provided a modicum of intelligence is applied, it's a lot easier to maintain a relationship with a Thai woman than a Western woman. Thai women are in general not high maintenance in comparison. And usually a lot less expensive if the relationship fails. Thai family law is streets ahead of Western law in this respect.

If one takes the trouble to learn to communicate in Thai, and also explore the family dynamics of your Thai GF/wife, it's not all that hard to understand what she is thinking. And very entertaining sometimes.smile.png

It has nothing to do with being over 50. That question is just ugly and unjustified age discrimination. It is a bigoted and unfair assessment.

Their unhappiness may have to do with being miserable wherever they may find themselves, but to assign that to their age is simply wrong headed and ignorant.

I was under the impression that when men got over 50, perhaps mixed with a mid-life crisis, they generally got grumpy. Age discrimination? What are you talking about?

I wouldn't expect these posters to be in their 30s. 99% of the grumps I know in Thailand are over 50.

We are entitled to be grumpy when we encounter people who make idiotic generalisations.

Pattaya tattood darkskin bargirl as a wife. Excellent decision ?... Love kills.

Probably a dam sight better than being married to a bigot which you certainly portray

Glad ure not interested to marry me ?

And yes, I admit openly, I am totally not attracted to bgs, and never was. And I have lived in los since age of 36 with fantastic gf of same age. Never paid a dime as she s much richer than I am (by birth). Living the great bigoted life! ? ?

Yup there's another one for sure.... R.I.P where ever you are....11yrs here for me now and I hate this country, my plans to return home are coming soon....it's a bitter and brutal country once you look deeper into the people who live here.....bye bye Lieland

Well said. Ditto plans.

Great two bitter ones on the way out.

I wonder if you'd be miserable in any land. Are you over 50 by any chance?

It has nothing to do with being over 50. That question is just ugly and unjustified age discrimination. It is a bigoted and unfair assessment.

Their unhappiness may have to do with being miserable wherever they may find themselves, but to assign that to their age is simply wrong headed and ignorant.

I've missed something, is age now also written in big letters on the PC banner ? I am an old fart, got no problems with that, i was also young and stupid once,wait long enough and we all get old and stupid.

Gosh this forum gets worse by the minute.

Instead of showing real concern for the young man who has gone missing- it has as usual morphed into Thai bashing -someone who lives in a life of corruption and violence and wishes to leave ( if you swim in a pond of low life - that is what you will experience) .

Then we have the poor guy - who gives his partner money every month to run his household and make sure his kids are provided for - shot down in flames. ( I have a suspicion that those criticising are from the USA - they seem to have weird macho ideals)

The young chap has not gone back to work, he cares for his child, the Embassy seems useless as a chocolate teapot - he has disappeared.

But I suppose Thai bashing and being nasty to people posting gives more hits - this forum at times stinks .

It's like that and there are two ways to deal with. Let it affect you. Or accept and ignore. Like I do. Back home life is fckedup too. Its an illusion that things are better elsewhere.

wonder of the guy he got in a fight with was his girls new man. bar girls are amazing at manipulating their customers. you never know what a thai is thinking behind their smile. i know a couple guys who thought they had great relationships who got dumped and told their girl always hated them. i have 2 kids with a thai girl and we get along ok. i pay her a monthly salary. i am worth more to her alive so hopefully it will stay that way.

You married someone that you don't know what they are thinking?

You give your wife a salary! What for exactly?

No wonder you get along ok.

For someone that has been here "33 years" and has 706 posts (17 per year ) you sure are chatty today. Did you wake up today and decide to join Team Apologist?

Must admit it doesn't look good for this poor guy and I'm not sure the Thai police will ever get to the bottom of what happened. Lets face it Thailand is a beautiful country but it has a dark side and life is cheap. Anybody in the same position as this guy whether visiting or living in the country needs to be careful about what they say and do and try not to put themselves in vulnerable situations. We have dealt with many cases of broken or difficult relationships between Thai's and Farangs our advice (as a previous poster has already stated) is to make yourself worth more alive than dead. This might ensure you have whole family looking out for your health and a long and happy life.

When are you guys going to quit marrying these women? Tough enough 1 in 2 marriages end in divorce back home. Then factor in different culture, language barrier, and the shady backrounds of some of them. Some guys get lucky and the marriage beats the odds. This poor guy isn't the first nor the last to hit target from a scorned Thai wife. It can be dangerous here. Lived here in Bangkok for only 3 years. I don't feel safe anymore. Taking a break next month back to the states. Probably won't return. If I do, I will move to a smaller city like Chiang Rai where it is friendlier and safer.

Staying away from expat forums would be a good start if you hate the country.

I've lived here 3 times as long as you and personally love the country and the people - good riddance.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion you have been lucky as I have I met a good woman married now 11 yrs the people in our village are nice and would you believe the worst person I met there was from my own country. Ive had allot of friends who have met with disaster and lost millions through been married to an ugly woman both in mind and body and their families were no better. So we have to be thankful we were the lucky ones and hope we will always be.

Nothing wrong with dark skin but tattoos and Pattaya says it all, how sad. I hope justice prevails.

Loads of Thai women have tattoos, from superstars to university students, to those rebelling against a conservative society to women who are fans of rock/metal bands or who just like tattoos. Perhaps the Pattaya thing is the greater indicator. To be honest though, I'm not here to judge anyone's appearance, I'm more concerned about where he is and the child involved.

i'm talking the COMBINATION of the 4: tattoo+bargirl+pattaya+dark skin. Recipe for disaster... 50% of these girls have no ethics and are psychopatic and emotionally dead.

Most are sexually dead too. Making a lot of money sleeping with hundreds of the world's least attractive men; smelly old drunks, and deadbeats comes at a heavy price.

"you never know what a thai is thinking "

thinking??

are you being overly optimistic?

So now we have posters saying that Thai people don't think. How sad as well as being pretty disgustingly racist.

oh yeah racist, kill him !! calm down little PC man it was a joke.

Not very funny IMHO. I am not into PC but I hate racial generalizations especially since I have a Thai wife,kids and 1 grandchild, as well as many more relatives and friends.

I bet your wife didn't think, as most Thais, when she said yes to your proposal. That's a joke btw.

And why call me little? - I am 6'4".

I hope you don't make jokes like that to the little boy in your avatar. They could have serious psychological consequences, him growing up with his father telling him half of him is stupid. In fact, the damage has probably already been done, well done Pop.

i'm talking the COMBINATION of the 4: tattoo+bargirl+pattaya+dark skin. Recipe for disaster... 50% of these girls have no ethics and are psychopatic and emotionally dead.

Most are sexually dead too. Making a lot of money sleeping with hundreds of the world's least attractive men; smelly old drunks, and deadbeats comes at a heavy price.

Probably, I have no first-hand experience though and will keep it like that til i'm a smelly old drunk with 45kg overweight. thumbsup.gif

When are you guys going to quit marrying these women? Tough enough 1 in 2 marriages end in divorce back home. Then factor in different culture, language barrier, and the shady backrounds of some of them. Some guys get lucky and the marriage beats the odds. This poor guy isn't the first nor the last to hit target from a scorned Thai wife. It can be dangerous here. Lived here in Bangkok for only 3 years. I don't feel safe anymore. Taking a break next month back to the states. Probably won't return. If I do, I will move to a smaller city like Chiang Rai where it is friendlier and safer.

Don't forget to vote to keep unlicensed M16's at home when you get back to the SAFE USA!

From The Daily Record-The resort’s manager, Mike Williams, told how he was knocked unconscious by a “large American” in a bar before he went missing.

Could be relevant or not, presumably Mike Williams was told this story by Steven himself or an acquaintance.Perhaps some CCTV pictures of the

large American are around.

I wish the best. Odd how the ex pats here that are soon to be ex ex pats generaly come from Pattaya or Phuket and are also divorced from ex bar girls. I get the Ex Pat Blues just like most everyone. But I choose not to live on the sun and play with fire.

There are plenty of ways to track this man, starting with his daughter and ex wife. In addition, someone in the bar must have seen what happened with the large 'American'. There are plenty of clues to follow up . Thai Immigration can tell immediately if he left the country. Did he owe a hotel bill? What was his daily routine. Thais have excellent memories regarding a foreigner's actions. It appears both the Embassy and police are dragging their feet. It may be time for the family to hire a private investigator. I hope he is well and just off someplace trying to relax.

Nothing wrong with dark skin but tattoos and Pattaya says it all, how sad. I hope justice prevails.

Loads of Thai women have tattoos, from superstars to university students, to those rebelling against a conservative society to women who are fans of rock/metal bands or who just like tattoos. Perhaps the Pattaya thing is the greater indicator. To be honest though, I'm not here to judge anyone's appearance, I'm more concerned about where he is and the child involved.

Better luck with the remaining 50% you haven't tried yet!

Since one must be very carful not to post personal insults on TV, I would only say that those who post this kind of anti-Thai women insults generally fall into the 100% ahole's category. Allegedly.

Not something that is unique to bargirls. Thai mentality dictates that losing face will result in revenge, whether concerning males or females. I made it clear to friends and family in the UK that if anything happened to me in Thailand or I disappeared there then they should look towards my wife or her family for answers. As horrible as it is I have seen examples of it many times and even now I wouldn't feel easy being there after a break-up (not that I am planning one).

Hope this poor man is found alive but I doubt that will be the case he probably caused her to loose face by divorcing here and for that the poor chap has paid the ultimate price. The Scottish or UK EMBASSY should get involved at this stage and demand some action and old woman said to me once You can deal with a bad man but there is nothing as bad as a bad woman. Pleas be well Steve.

You're in for a nasty shock if your plans come to pass - you will find the UK, Australia or the USA - wherever you are going to is just as bad if you look at the place closely. Good luck - people carry their emotional baggage with them so I doubt you will be happier. Your failure in Thailand is a reflection of your expectations. I can see the same thing happening again when you go 'home'.

Better luck with the remaining 50% you haven't tried yet!

Since one must be very carful not to post personal insults on TV, I would only say that those who post this kind of anti-Thai women insults generally fall into the 100% ahole's category. Allegedly.

aha, a true genius is amongst us now and has joined the chat!

so especially for u (very slowly, with whiteboard if needed): let's say thai bg's/hookers maybe 0,1% of thai females (in fact much less i guess)... so that makes the evil ones 0,05. so on all thai women that is insignificant... so far for bashing "Thai women" .

coffee1.gif coffee1.gif coffee1.gif

ps. i don't need luck (with hookers) as i have a brain (and stay clear of hookers) clap2.gif thumbsup.gif

I'm reminded of an old military "ditty" I had engraved on my beautiful brass Zippo, right in the worst times of Vietnam. "I must be going to heaven, Cos I've been to hell and I'm still alive!"

I guess this poor "Laddie" is going to heaven!

Maybe a bit to soon to say, but seems like a possibility, either way Steve Balfour, I'll see ya in heaven.

You married someone that you don't know what they are thinking?

You give your wife a salary! What for exactly?

No wonder you get along ok.

How about you go tell your wife you have to sell her car you bought for her, and see how long she stays with you after that.

How is it that the topic is about a father who has gone missing and presumed murdered and all you children on TV can do is bicker with each other.

Grow up already.

Well done Rayk, Steve is a close mate, a great lad who absolutely adores his daughter, he is dependable, organised he does not just dissapear... he like millions of people married and divorced, he actually lasted a lot longer married than i am sure half of the absolute nuggets posting on this forum.. he married because he loved, his daughter was the result of love and he was sure not going to let her suffer because that marriage failed. he spoke to her twice a day, made sure money was there for the daughter, he is a great dad and probably a better ex husband than most of us are husbands. ,

He is loyal, honest and possibly a better man than me, he has not been seen, everyone is worried,his parents must be beside themselves as you would if your child went missing, no matter how old, your still a parent and they are still a child. Yet all the majority of you lot can do is make assumptions, slag each other off, with the odd concerned person, the odd bit of humanity towards Stevens plight and that of his friends and family, Be a forum, be a group of people, dont bombard this forum with trash, use it to pass on your thoughts to parents desperate, to a daughter that just wants her dad, post photos, keep your eyes and ears open and if murder has been committed, help bring the guilty to bear.

Before you go posting on sights like this, just stop. think. and at least be respectful of the topic.. if you lot want to bash expats abroad, or oldies, or thai working girts etc then i am sure there are forum topics to do so... not on the topic of someone missing presumed murdered.

Archived