Two faced language views – why not make all people living in Thailand learn Thai.

Inspire

Two faced language views – why not make all people living in Thailand learn Thai.

Thai21.jpg

Please note this article was prepared by a guest blogger and is the opinion of this writer and not necessarily Inspire

When the UK announced a couple of years back that the government was tightening up requirements of foreigners seeking settlement into the United Kingdom to speak English it was met with overwhelming approval.

It was greeted with views from all and sundry that of course people who expect to live in the UK should speak the language of the country. If they don’t, good riddance.

Yet the very same individuals who would bar people from the UK see no reason to make the slightest effort to learn Thai. Many who effectively live on retirement visas in the country almost have a badge of pride in refusing to learn the language.

They hide behind the supposed “difficulty” in learning Thai and brazenly expect the locals to speak the Queen’s English. Instead of just getting a pith helmet and going out in the midday sun to expound their imperialistic values, these people hide behind their keyboards spouting interminable nonsense as they bash the locals and their education system for not being able to speak their language. It’s absurd. They even refuse to ‘wai’ thinking it beneath them in some way. Many threads on Thaivisa are evidence of these attitudes.

There has been a requirement to learn some Thai and some Thai culture for a number of people who are living in Thailand. Most international school teachers are required to go through a ten module twenty hour course run by the Teachers’ Council that includes aspects of the Thai language and culture. This is something but actually very little. Teachers in local school may do more…or less. And what about other jobs? Why should learning Thai not be a requirement for extending any work permit?

People working here in all professional capacities and expecting to get work permits should be made to enroll in courses in the Thai language and culture. And not just a few hours – how about make it two hours a week for a year at least 100 hours. And if it is not done….yeh, good riddance and som nam naa. (I won’t write that in Thai as so few will understand it).

Full story: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/lifestyle/two-faced-language-views-make-people-living-thailand-learn-thai/

inspire-pattaya1.jpg
-- Inspire Pattaya 2016-06-19

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few years ago I want to the YMCA here in Chiang Mai to learn Thai. There were 6 of us in a "special class". All over 50, and with their "best" teacher. Not a day went past when we didn't have to look at each other in total confusion and whisper: "What did she say?" Her English was so atrocious that we could barely understand her 75% of the time. We all passed, somehow, and all vowed never to return.

The writer explicitly mentions retirement and work visas, this in no way equates to an immigration or settlement status, it is only a visa extension. I am functional in spoken Thai, many people I know are not but that is their choice, or aptitude.

If I were given same business rights as a Thai, I would gladly continue my language study.

The writer explicitly mentions retirement and work visas, this in no way equates to an immigration or settlement status, it is only a visa extension. I am functional in spoken Thai, many people I know are not but that is their choice, or aptitude.

If I were given same business rights as a Thai, I would gladly continue my language study.

totally agree. my apptitude for languages is not very good, i spent 2 years doing weekly classes and struggled (the boofhead in the bottom right corner is mine!). Probaly an equal measure of laziness thrown in.

it doesn't help me that most Thais i know want to learn English. When i first came to Thailand to stay, a mate who spoke fluent Thai advised to get a gf that doesn't speak Englsih and that will force you to learn Thai. Tried that, but the gf wanted to learn English for work.

to get permanent residence in thailand you need to pass a thai language test. is fair enough, i would not want them allowing immigrants into new zealand without being able to speak english. for the vast majority of us in thailand on temporary O and A visas we dont need to speak thai. why should we if we are only here on a year by year basis? this article is poorly researched or just bulls#it made up as click bait.

It's a question of need and negotiation power. UK doesn't need Thai immigrants. No Thais, as far as I know, go to spend their Baht in the UK when they retire. Thailand does well and needs the foreign currency brought in by retirees, so they should not ramp up the barriers to that.

As for those working, it should be driven by need, and the business language. Work in a company that operates in English, then you must learn English. Work in Thai, learn Thai. Simple rule really.

As for everyday living, road signs, news, shopping, etc, it's a personal thing mostly, but there is the initiative driven by ASEAN nations and internationalisation to use English in parallel with their native language.

I don't think making rules to learn Thai would fit to any of the above cases.

But, it's an individual choice.

As for the comments in the OP on the attitudes of some, sure, there are bad cases, but don't base important decisions on those.

I would love to speak Thai , my talkative wife would never get a word in edgeways . I have suggested I go to Khon Kaen , American University ? , but my wife says no , you are not going to Khon Kaen . I have seen courses advertised , but they are expensive . I originally came with a good English/Thai phrase book , but everyone here speak Isaan Thai/Lao .

My spoken Thai is not nearly as good as is my Thai friends' and acquaintances' spoken English. I don't feel obliged to try to learn Thai, but to insist that everyone, from people in the markets to immigration & police officers, speak perfect English is equally unrealistic. Those of us for whom middle age is a distant memory aren't as likely to pick up a new language as easily as some younger person coming here to work.

In America Spanish is an unofficial second language and in many cases someone who is bilingual is available whether in person or when telephoning or interacting online with a business or government office or bilingual signage is shown, but that's just a realistic convenience. The official national language remains English and if you can't function in it, the problem is yours.

I enjoy expanding my Thai vocabulary, but often find myself attempting to speak Thai while the Thai I'm speaking with attempts to speak English.

When it comes to money amounts I wish they'd stick to Thai. Quite often when I'm told the total amount in English I have to repeat what I think they meant in Thai to confirm. Was that song-loi-hok-sip or song-loi-sip-hok??

There are a lot of things I've attempted to learn more about in retirement ... not because they are a necessity, but because doing so is enjoyable and when it comes to speaking Thai it quite often brings smiles to the people I'm speaking with ... whether from appreciation at my efforts or amusement over what I mangled doesn't really matter.

My daughter and son were enrolled in an expensive international school for many years on an ED visa which

expired as soon as they finished schooling. They had to learn Thai for many years and was a total waste of time

and money as both went back to home country to attend college which is why they went to an international school in the first place. It made me furious as time could have been dedicated to

a far more useful subject.

This country is full of old men on a retirement visa which in effect is an extended 1 year tourist visa. If they were forced

to learn Thai, and very difficult at their age, also a waste as they could lose visa in any year with a stroke of the pen.

If one was to become a legal immigrant or citizen then learning Thai is appropriate.

There is no.comparison as others have said. In the UK the English language requirement is for settlement and it is reasonable. Most people in Thailand are on temporary visas or extensions, with not much chance for permanent residence and citizenship.

Taking into account that the official language of ASEAN is both spoken and written is English maybe the OP needs to make adjustment to their thinking. I took Thai classes for 2 years twice a week but still would not consider myself fluent at all. In my case my Thai company wanted me to only speak English so the staff would get used to working with a foreigner and no Thai GF. Different people have different stories.

It is a good idea. I assume the quota for people being approved for residency will also be cancelled? I can speak with Thai's in Thai. No I am not as fluent as the locals and never will be but I dont need people to speak English to me to understand what is being said and to make them understand me. If you want to live in a country it is reasonable that you learn enough of the language to stop you being a burden on people

I studied (and passed) French for 4 years in senior high school and did not know anything of the language 6 months later. My brain works best with numbers so appears to be not programmed for linguistics. The old brain will not retain what it hears and the wtb does not want me to learn Thai so does not try to help. I will never be able to speak Thai but do learn as much about the culture and history that I can find in English.

There is a huge difference between 'settling' in Britain, and living year-to-year on a non-immigrant visa here in the Land of Smiles. A migrant who 'settles' in Britain becomes a quasi-citizen and enjoys the benefits of their social welfare/health system in the country; we non-immigrate visa holders in Thailand enjoy no such privileges nor an easily accessible path to permanent residence or citizenry. However, if there was an easily accessible path to permanent residence or citizenry, then I'd be happy to learn Thai to a degree of fluency needed to call Thailand 'home'. The key words are easily accessible. The laws are set up to discourage farangs wishing to to do so, and as such, I don't feel any burning need to 'integrate' and learn Thai beyond what I need to take care of day-to-day affairs. That 'integration' is a two-way street, and the in-bound lane is strewn with intentional road-blocks that are pretty much insurmountable for the average farang who may wish to truly call Thailand 'home'.

Thai is a highly imprecise language and has been one of the reasons Thailand's development has dramatically slowed down. Unless the nation gets on the English bandwagon, Thailand will be largely left behind by the economic growth of other ASEAN nations. Adherence to Thai language is an obstacle to economic growth.

The laws are set up to discourage farangs wishing to to do so,

It's only white men they don't want, the world is populated by plenty of other foreigners.

Please don't represent yourself as speaking for 100% of white foreigners.

50% of us would have no problem becoming Thai citizens, we would just need to buy find a Thai husband.

A few years ago I want to the YMCA here in Chiang Mai to learn Thai. There were 6 of us in a "special class". All over 50, and with their "best" teacher. Not a day went past when we didn't have to look at each other in total confusion and whisper: "What did she say?" Her English was so atrocious that we could barely understand her 75% of the time. We all passed, somehow, and all vowed never to return.

Their 'rote leaning' method works, maybe, until about level 3 and then totally breaks down. I quit at level 5 because I was totally bored although I didn't necessarily have any problems understanding the Thai, and I was transcribing the transliterations to written Thai 'on-the-fly' because I couldn't wrap my head around yet another transliteration scheme, especially considering I already read Thai, although slowly. At the end of the day, I can only take so much of point to the words or sentences on the board and repeat, repeat, repeat.....coffee1.gif I don't teach that way, and for a reason: It's ineffective. And yet the 'rote method' of teaching seems to be ingrained in this culture.

So, if the OP expects all farang to learn Thai which is a difficult language to learn, then I'd say that we at least should have the expectations of being offered quality teaching programs that utilize modern teaching methodologies. But the three language schools that I've used in the last 8 years all eventual broke-down to a form of 'rote training' which is simply mind-numbing. Well, imho.

I think if I could live in the Kingdom all year round I would learn the language better. Instead of just just how much? I dont want, and a small leo. I do wei ok but always weigh more when i go home again.

My GF speaks thai/lao too and that does my head in

Fantastic idea if like the UK you can go on to live permenenantly without the need for a Visa,not have to report to immigration like a criminal,claim free health care and social security and own land and property.

These immigrants staying in the UK should be thrown out if they don't learn to speak English.

Why should anyone coming to stay in Thailand have to learn Thai when they only allow us here for their benefit. You know,contributing to their economy?

A completely different situation from the UK.

There is no English requirement in Australia to gain permanent residency. Plenty of Thais live permanently in Australia with minimal English skills. They get medicare, the dole, old age pensions and all the other benefits of citizenship. There is a multiple choice written test to gain citizenship, but there is a set number of questions and they can be memorised without too many problems. The test can be taken as often as needed to pass. English is not a prerequisite to a fulfilling life in Australia for a Thai person.

Why is Thailand so strict in its residency requirements (6th grade level Thai oral and written skills, minimum job/salary/tax requirements etc)? I guess it is because Australia is a multi-cultural country whereas Thailand is more xenophobic.

An EXTREMELY idiotic suggestion for those on retirement extensions.

I would agree IF actual residence was offered for those on retirement extensions, it would be much more reasonable.

But it isn't and we all know, it WON'T be.

I have looked at retirement visa policies all over the world (for the minority of nations that offer them).

I've never heard of even one that has a language requirement.

In practicality, depending on where you live, sometimes there is a need to learn the local language just to get by.

Common in Spanish speaking countries.

But in Thailand, where face it, you really can function with only English, that is not the case if you live in expat centers.

I would love to understand and speak Thai. I don't hear what I think I hear. Over the years I've learned a few words and phrases, mostly Lao/Issan. I've never been worth a damn at learning languages. My daughter in America spoke perfect Spanish, not Mexicano, she was of Jewish blood, with my all American mutt blood mixed. I learned in 25 years of living in Northern New Mexico basically work phrases, words, and when to get the hell out of Dodge. They don't have tones. I don't and never did have the ability to pick languages up like many of my friends. Thanks to a little free paid vacation in sunny SE Asia courtesy Uncle Sam's Misguided Children I have about 50% hearing. Think I can hear the tones, NOT! Hell half the time I can't understand my English friends (what language do they speak?), even the friends that speak American English. Telephone conversations, oh no. And somebody expect people like me to really learn Thai, never hoppin GI!

Archived