Linux Mint 17

Gary A

I recently bought a Netgear 762s air card. When I plug it into my desktop, Mint doesn't see it and I cannot figure out how to get on the Internet. The air card works great with Windows.

I should add that Mint sees and immediately connects with my phone.

It can be complicated by a rom on the sim card and a part of many linux distributions called usb switching. Also they don't keep up todate connection info for all providers in what ever network program mint is running. Not for aircards anyway.

I years ago got both a dtac and a true card to work but found it was far more simple to just use a router with usb port that has 3g fail over so I didn't bother recording what I had done back then. With the router Just plug the card in and it works with a lan ports and wifi then provided as well.

The router still needs the card other then the more limited use mifi's I don't think they have a router which just uses the sim card. Not likely they will put much effort into development of reading all sim cards and aircards as even some new laptops can have a sim slot - the aircards are going to be artifacts pretty soon.

The use of these cards on windows normally uses the providers software installed on the sim card.

The phone usb connect uses a more standard route in the usb switching module of linux. To really get complete fix you should go to the mint forum and ask for a few command lines to copy paste to mend it.

Archived