Clip of Thai-speaking 'farang' complaining about Phuket taxi fares goes viral

rooster59

Clip of Thai-speaking 'farang' complaining about Phuket taxi fares goes viral

The Phuket News

post-247607-0-93855700-1466307396_thumb.

Photo: Jack Brown Facebook

PHUKET: A clip of a Thai-speaking westerner complaining about expensive Phuket transport has riled up emotions on social media.

The video clip, with a length of two minutes and 29 seconds, was initially uploaded by Facebook user, Jack Brown on Saturday afternoon (June 18) and by Sunday morning had amassed more than 105,000 views and 11,000 Likes.
The clip was later uploaded to his Youtube channel (see below).
Also known as Jack Dekfarang, Jack Brown rose to a popularity among Thais and Thai-language learners on Youtube and Facebook over the past few years for posting clips of himself speaking Thai with a clear yet distinguishable accent, commenting on various topics and issues.
He's been featured on a number of segments of Thai TV talkshows, telling the hosts and cameras how much he loves Thailand and Thai people, in Thai with an "adorable western accent".
In his latest viral clip "What happened with Phuket taxis" [translated from Thai เกิดอะไรขื้นกับแทกซี่ภูเก็ต], he is filming himself while walking down the street.

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-06-19

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to commend "Jack" on his Thai language ability.

It's a good small clip of basic investigative journalism.

It would have been interesting had he spoke English to the driver, pretending to be a naive tourist, and purposely not agreed on the price first, then purposely argued the 200, 300 or 400 baht price at the end of the journey.

The clip would have ended with the driver becoming aggressive towards him, and him being threatened with physical violence.

"Some Phuket netizens agreed with Jack, that something needs to be done, "before tourists don't come back" - they are already not "coming back" due to the lack of proper transport on Phuket.

As a comparison, the same journey in Pattaya, on a baht bus, is 10 baht.

Here's the YouTube clip.

His accent is almost Thai - just a couple of minor issues with enunciation of certain words. Anyway, his message is what's important not how well he speaks Thai (unless of course, it was so terrible as to prevent him from being understood - something which was NOT the case here). If I didn't see his face first I'd assume he was a Thai from a certain upcountry part of the country.

Frankly, being able to speak Thai is not that special anymore. More and more westerners can speak it quite well. And no, he doesn't have a "western accent" at all.

This guy has a "western accent":

>>while others criticized the westerner for failing to agknowledge the difference between private transport options (such as tuk tuks and taxis) and public transport options (such as sawng taeos) which they pointed out are available in Phuket for between B20 to B40 per trip.

Perhaps the people criticizing the guy should inform the rest of us how we can get a 20-40 baht ride from Kata beach to a nearby hotel. I'm sure most of the tourists visiting would also like to know this.

The rhythm especially of his Thai is very good, very natural. I think he must still have an accent to some extent though, because I can understand him much more easily than the average Thai male.

I don't think he has a justifiable complaint about the tuktuk fare however. In what country are taxi rates uniform throughout? Not the US, for sure. Moreover, it's usually the case that services are more expensive in tourist areas. It's like buying candy in a movie theater. The consumer is a captive.

I think the guys that make the real money wear brown uniforms and frequent massage parlours in the course of duty.

You can ask the same 'Thammai" question about every aspect of Thailand's "justice?" "system?".

I think the answer is clear to everyone with a beating heart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the guys that make the real money wear brown uniforms and frequent massage parlours in the course of duty.

You can ask the same 'Thammai" question about every aspect of Thailand's "justice?" "system?".

I think the answer is clear to everyone with a beating heart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

' ... every aspect of Thailand's "justice?" "system?".'

Just as a point of reference why not tell us all about the justice system & the police in your country. I'm sure we could all learn from studying perfection and the absence of corruption. My heart is beating in anticipation of a good laugh.

He should have left out the girlish "bye bye" and wave at the end.

I guess he was brought up dual-lingual.

And yes, it is about time there were regular "Baht Bus" routes running over Phuket, it would reduce accidents, as fewer inexperienced / drunken tourists would be tempted to hire a motorcycle. It would also reduce congestion as more people would use a "Baht Bus" system to get around rather than drive/ride with the ensuing parking problems.

But once again money and threats of violence and retribution will prevent progress.

>>while others criticized the westerner for failing to agknowledge the difference between private transport options (such as tuk tuks and taxis) and public transport options (such as sawng taeos) which they pointed out are available in Phuket for between B20 to B40 per trip.

Perhaps the people criticizing the guy should inform the rest of us how we can get a 20-40 baht ride from Kata beach to a nearby hotel. I'm sure most of the tourists visiting would also like to know this.

He caught a tuk tuk from the Katathani hotel on Kata Noi beach to The Villa Royale at the top of the hill, a distance of less than 500 meters. 200 baht for 500 meters seems a bit peng mak to me too. He could have taken an official hotel saloon car taxi for less. So for arguments' sake the driver charged him 100 baht just to start the engine and then another 100 baht for the 500 meters. At that rate it would have cost him about 1700 baht for the approximately 8 kms to Patong Beach! Around 6000 baht to the airport. Oh! No public transport out of Kata Noi. You take a hotel taxi, a regular taxi, a tuk tuk or walk out on shank's mare.

I am jealous of his Thai language skills.

THis guy must have no shortage of kitty cats in phuket…..jealous of this cunning linguist.

Nah,....the kitty cats don't like farangs that speak and understand there language !!! it's no good for business if he understand what they say to there friends...!?

Western Tourists DO NOT understand the Dynamics of Poor Countries. Farangs have this Defect called to FIX THINGS UP :)

The Taxis are expensive and they "Over Charge" for a reason. THEY have to be SHADY for a reason.

1. No Social Security to Leech onto like in UK where many people just live on benefits without working clap2.gif

Named and shamed: Five of Britain's biggest benefits cheats who stole £4.5m from the taxpayer

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2736546/Named-shamed-Five-Britain-s-biggest-benefits-cheats-stole-4-5m-taxpayer.html

Fraudsters used fake identities, secret bank accounts and faked illnesses
One woman stole an estimated £4million by using 100 false identities
Revelation comes as ministers introduce new benefit-abuse probe team
2. No Medical Insurance...FREE MEDICARE like in UK
3. No Pension
4. No easy loans for kids higher education, No easy car loan, No easy house loan
I don't understand the Logic behind farangs trying to FIX things in Thailand...Yes. If they use METER and FIX RATE....They will go out of work.
I challenge this FARANG to live the life of a TUK TUK driver without cheating and see how far he goes...wai2.gif
Please STOP fixing things in Thailand.thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Common....Whom are we kidding here...The entire Taxi's in Bangkok are running on scams....If you live in Bangkok..You will know the hassle of forcing the driver to use meter....clap2.gif especially when you are drunk thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

From Bangkok

DLT fines 1,283 public transport drivers in May

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/1008277/dlt-fines-1-283-public-transport-drivers-in-may

Suvarnabhumi airport slaps taxi ban on greedy driver

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/962249/suvarnabhumi-airport-slaps-taxi-ban-on-greedy-driver

Taxi fare rise on hold due to cab cheats

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/950757/taxi-fare-rise-on-hold-due-to-cab-cheats

-----------------------------

Lets not be sympathetic to Taxi Drivers ....It sucks when we get cheated and scammed. Using a Vehicle from Point A to Point B has become a method to scam tourists.

People are simply refusing to research on ground realities.

Cost of Living, No free Medicare, No Pension, No Easy Student Loans, No Easy Home loans for a Tuk Tuk driver unlike in UK

Sometimes, Humans have no choice but to choose the wrong method to earn a living.

My point is....Do not let these scammers ruin you or rather you should think of bigger picture called LIFE....clap2.gif

Come to Phuket and ENJOY....

When you in Asia....Go Spiritual...DO NOT TRY TO FIX THINGS AROUND....It will just lead to more misery

Those who lived in Thailand know...This Phuket taxi driver issue is ongoing for the last 20 years or more...gigglem.gif

Have FUN....NO FIXING STUFF IN ASIA ....You so hansum...Why FIX Things around Mak Mak clap2.gif

Western Tourists DO NOT understand the Dynamics of Poor Countries. Farangs have this Defect called to FIX THINGS UP smile.png

The Taxis are expensive and they "Over Charge" for a reason. THEY have to be SHADY for a reason.

1. No Social Security to Leech onto like in UK where many people just live on benefits without working clap2.gif

Named and shamed: Five of Britain's biggest benefits cheats who stole £4.5m from the taxpayer

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2736546/Named-shamed-Five-Britain-s-biggest-benefits-cheats-stole-4-5m-taxpayer.html

3. No Pension
4. No easy loans for kids higher education, No easy car loan, No easy house loan
I don't understand the Logic behind farangs trying to FIX things in Thailand...Yes. If they use METER and FIX RATE....They will go out of work.
I challenge this FARANG to live the life of a TUK TUK driver without cheating and see how far he goes...wai2.gif

Some people just like to stay 3rd world... Then whine about it when the paycheck comes at the end of the month... yeah yeah, farang fault

Western Tourists DO NOT understand the Dynamics of Poor Countries. Farangs have this Defect called to FIX THINGS UP smile.png

3. No Pension

Some people just like to stay 3rd world... Then whine about it when the paycheck comes at the end of the month... yeah yeah, farang fault

yeah but Thai's don't whine when the paycheck comes unlike in the west....All these complaints seems to come from farangs mostly....with FAT PAYCHECK tongue.png

Just their innate desire to FIX THINGS UP....They can't help it...but have to make things right clap2.gifclap2.gif good luck

The rhythm especially of his Thai is very good, very natural. I think he must still have an accent to some extent though, because I can understand him much more easily than the average Thai male.

I don't think he has a justifiable complaint about the tuktuk fare however. In what country are taxi rates uniform throughout? Not the US, for sure. Moreover, it's usually the case that services are more expensive in tourist areas. It's like buying candy in a movie theater. The consumer is a captive.

A lot of thais that you don't understand are not understood by the vast majority of other thais, especialy phuket thais with their dialect or crazy accent.

don't feel too bad

Then how come the taxis in Bangkok are cheap and use a meter?

the taxis in bangkok live in 2000b rooms with 4 other members of the family, they send their kids to public school and eat rice with 2 bites of meat as a staple meal

the taxis in phuket own average houses, send their kids to semi-private schools and eat enough.

And the badass taxis in phuket are wealthy

My neighbour is a niceish taxi driver, he has a taxi meter, a tuktuk and a regular taxi. He owns a nice pickup a nice house (but lacks in good furniture and stuff) and eats a lot with 2-3 kids.

that'S a better life than a regular taxi driver from canada unless you work the financial district with a high class sedan.

Anyone who has lived here 10 years and spent their time well, should be able to speak Thai like this. Anyway, he is a fool, get your own wheels if you don't like the rip off Tuk Tuk charges, no way I would pay that. That journey would have been pleasant on a push bike, and easily short enough to have been walked ,is there something wrong with his legs? And stop calling yourself 'Falang' every 2 seconds.

THis guy must have no shortage of kitty cats in phuket…..jealous of this cunning linguist.

At age 73, no way I will speak Thai as well or as rapidly as this guy. However, very pleased I could understand about 90% of what he was saying.

There's an aphorism youth is wasted on the young. Not in this guy's case.clap2.gif

Nonsense. If you live in Bangkok, you know the taxis are mostly honest. If you're a tourist in Bangkok, you might run into more problems I guess. I use taxis every day, and can't remember one trying to scam me.

Outright scams....very rarely. Outright aggression and rudeness....same.

Trying to over charge - every now and them.

Declining a ride to certain locations (by no means far/out of the way) - quite often.

Archived