Clip of Thai-speaking 'farang' complaining about Phuket taxi fares goes viral

rooster59

I think the guys that make the real money wear brown uniforms and frequent massage parlours in the course of duty.

You can ask the same 'Thammai" question about every aspect of Thailand's "justice?" "system?".

I think the answer is clear to everyone with a beating heart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

' ... every aspect of Thailand's "justice?" "system?".'

Just as a point of reference why not tell us all about the justice system & the police in your country. I'm sure we could all learn from studying perfection and the absence of corruption. My heart is beating in anticipation of a good laugh.

Switzerland. My dear friend go there and try to bribe a cop. You will learn a great deal about the swift course of our Justice System. If you hope to succeed, take a great deal of money....but I would still bet against you.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To CaptHaddock (re your quote - 'In what country are taxi rates uniform throughout?' The answer to your question is - Hong Kong!

Taxis in Hong Kong are strictly controlled by HK Govt - there are standard fares applicable for HK island, New Territories and Lantau Island for the first 2km (or part thereof) of any journey. Obviously, toll roads and tunnels etc are additional to the fare. Items of luggage and even animals have a standardized rate - although wheelchairs are free.

All rates are freely available via the HK Govt website - any dissatisfied passengers are encouraged to report any dishonest or bad drivers. (drivers are required by law to clearly display a plate showing their photo, name and badge number).

Hong Kong is a city, not a country. Many cities do regulate taxi service, but countries don't.

Sorry - but you are talking rubbish!

HK (like Singapore) is a 'City-State' and although it falls under the term ''Special Administrative Region'' (HK SAR was established by the British and Chinese governments in 1997) it has its own system of governance, law, immigration and currency. In addition, HK is recognized globally as a separate country (from China) has signed numerous international covenants and treaties in that capacity and its 'native' Chinese population consider themselves as 'Hong-Kongers' and hold both HK ID and passports.

I suggest you get out more or stop commenting on topics you clearly know nothing about!

Respect for Jack..sorta of a Thai-Farang Russel Brand but real Thai lo-fi..He has a huge talent for speaking Thai and gets thing done ..Looks like he is going places riding the communication skills..Not easy..The Thai lady dentist that I went to spoke english so well I was shocked! I wish Jack best of luck very impressed.clap2.gif

As a comparison, the same journey in Pattaya, on a baht bus, is 10 baht.

Comparing this to the Pattaya Baht bus is apples to oranges.

Pattaya Baht Buses generally have a route and pick up and drop off many passengers along that route. Thats why its far less expensive. If you 'hire' a baht bus to take you point to point it would be much more expensive and comparable to Phuket.

Bangkok and other major cities generally have regulated metered taxi service.

In many of these cities the flag down rate is comparable to or more then 100 baht. ( Not sure the Bangkok flag down rate is but I guess from these post its less)

The take away from this is that Phuket needs a regulated metered taxi service

"Comparing this to the Pattaya Baht bus is apples to oranges." - no, it's comparing land transport options and prices on Phuket to Pattaya.

"Pattaya Baht Buses generally have a route and pick up and drop off many passengers along that route." - yes, they do, and it works well. So why doesn't Phuket, which is promoted as a "World Class Tourist Destination" have a similar system?

"Thats why its far less expensive." - no. The collusion by the transport "associations" allow them to set expensive, and out of line prices with the whole country, for this essential service.

"If you 'hire' a baht bus to take you point to point it would be much more expensive and comparable to Phuket" - true, but they are a lot bigger, and hold a lot more passengers, with the price being shared by the larger group, so it ends up cheaper.

"Bangkok and other major cities generally have regulated metered taxi service." - true, but isn't Phuket a "major" tourist destination within Thailand?

"The take away from this is that Phuket needs a regulated metered taxi service" - Phuket needs a mixture of transport options. Small buses running the coast road between the beaches, baht buses running around the beach areas, and metered taxis.for use across the whole island. who can pick-up and drop-off wherever they like.

There is no reason why tuk-tuks can not operate in the same fashion as baht buses do in Pattaya, but they would rather do nothing all day, and then rip off just one tourist for 400 baht for a 10 minute journey.

For many tourists, transport on Phuket can cost more more than their accommodation, or food and beverage, on their holiday here.

It's a disgrace, and the lack of proper land transport on Phuket has played a HUGE role in the declining western tourist market on Phuket, and the changing of the tourist demographics for the island.

As a comparison, the same journey in Pattaya, on a baht bus, is 10 baht.

Comparing this to the Pattaya Baht bus is apples to oranges.

Pattaya Baht Buses generally have a route and pick up and drop off many passengers along that route. Thats why its far less expensive. If you 'hire' a baht bus to take you point to point it would be much more expensive and comparable to Phuket.

Bangkok and other major cities generally have regulated metered taxi service.

In many of these cities the flag down rate is comparable to or more then 100 baht. ( Not sure the Bangkok flag down rate is but I guess from these post its less)

The take away from this is that Phuket needs a regulated metered taxi service

There's been numerous times during my five month stay in Pattaya that baht bus drivers, that took me (along with many others) less then half their route then demanded 30baht when I got out alone. One told me, because it was night, 10:00pm. Which I though was really funny. So, what do you do, ignore the demand for more, pay the 10baht, and walk away, or pay up? I've just been telling them, you're cheating me, and then paid the extra 20baht to avoid a big scene.

Never happened to me when in Pattaya, and I am usually passing through there every 3 months, on my way to a visa run out of Phuket.

Phuket province has probably the highest cost of living within Thailand. I guess it basically comes down to supply and demand. In a place that has a relatively high number of affluent international tourists and large expat retired community (affluent when compared to the average local Phuket Thai) businesses can command higher prices. It's like this all over the world. One only needs to compare Phuket beach chair rents to those rents charged at Bang Saen or Jomtien Beach. With some local knowledge however there is always a way to keep costs down where ever you are.

Western Tourists DO NOT understand the Dynamics of Poor Countries. Farangs have this Defect called to FIX THINGS UP smile.png

The Taxis are expensive and they "Over Charge" for a reason. THEY have to be SHADY for a reason.

1. No Social Security to Leech onto like in UK where many people just live on benefits without working clap2.gif

Named and shamed: Five of Britain's biggest benefits cheats who stole £4.5m from the taxpayer

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2736546/Named-shamed-Five-Britain-s-biggest-benefits-cheats-stole-4-5m-taxpayer.html

Fraudsters used fake identities, secret bank accounts and faked illnesses

One woman stole an estimated £4million by using 100 false identities

Revelation comes as ministers introduce new benefit-abuse probe team
2. No Medical Insurance...FREE MEDICARE like in UK
3. No Pension
4. No easy loans for kids higher education, No easy car loan, No easy house loan
I don't understand the Logic behind farangs trying to FIX things in Thailand...Yes. If they use METER and FIX RATE....They will go out of work.
I challenge this FARANG to live the life of a TUK TUK driver without cheating and see how far he goes...wai2.gif
Please STOP fixing things in Thailand.thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

"I challenge this FARANG to live the life of a TUK TUK driver without cheating and see how far he goes..." - I am still in contact with my past airport taxi driver, despite having a friend taking me and picking me up from the airport these days.

When we catch up, he proudly tells me he now has two taxis, has bought a second property, and has a mia noi that is stunning. (showed me a photo of her on his phone)

I don't know about a tuk-tuk driver, but many farang would be happy here being an airport taxi driver. He's obviously making more money than many farang bar owners, restaurant owners, cafe owners etc, and this guy is mid 30's. biggrin.png

I just rent a car when I go to Phuket. Works out much cheaper per day, especially with a few friends and especially if you want to tour about on the island. You can rent them right at the airport for quite cheap.

It's a good idea to rent from the airport, but many smaller hotels do not provide parking, so some may end up having to walk back to their accommodation anyway.

Also, the tuk-tuks take up the prime parking positions in the tourist areas. Eg. Beach Road, Patong.

No ones ever going to believe me but on a trip to phuket over 15 years ago I was staying at Pansea Beach…which is not far from the airport.

I used to go into Patong by the free hotel shuttle but return at 4 in the morning with the catch of the night.

I remember paying 300 baht for two for that journey, which took about 30 minutes.

Looks like I got a bargain.

Archived