What's the skinny at vientienne?

Hi Guys

I am about to apply for a Retirement Visa and, while I wait for a letter from my bank in America about my income and liquidity, I want to take a drive to Vientienne and get a "bridging" Visa. I have not had one from Laos before.

Ideally I want the One Year, Multiple Entry Non Immigrant "O" that I usually get from Penang [i have all of the necessary letters etceteras except the one from the bank -- but will of course take the best I can get.

Anyone have any idea what that is?

Also does anyone know whether it's easy to drive my car into Vientienne or whether I should park it in Nong Kai and tuk-tuk across?

And how much should I budget for a Laotion Visa-On-Arrival?

I thank all y'all in anticipation of your kind assistance.

Best ones -- Brian  :o

You would be strongly advised not to drive your vehicle into Laos unless you have comprehensive motor vehicle insurance cover.

If you are driving in Laos, you will require an international drivers permit. The Lao Police consider the issue of foreigners involved in motor vehicle accidents who do not hold a valid driving permit, as a serious offence and you are likely to be held or detained.

In any to your other question, the cost for a visa on arrival on the Nong Khai/Laos Border is $31 USD.

WiengChan (Vientiane) I went on 31 March 2003.  Don't believe you can drive over the bridge.  Tuktuk drops you on Thai side, then you take a bus over (10 baht) and pick up a cab at the Lao end for 200 baht to town.  Found a good basic hotel (500 baht) near Thai Consulate  close to curious Arc de Triomphe.  Still, either picked the wrong day or didn't have the papers double stamped by my lawyer because I was refused a Non-O.  The lady at the desk said "Vientiane is not the place for this" and gave me 60-Day Tourist.  I wondered if I should have used a tout outside.  Half the Khao San Road was in line behind me.

Get visa beforehand at Lao Embassy in BKK - only 30 minutes or so: go 09.30 hours because they close for lunch.  You don't need to change money because Lao prefer baht to kip and love dollars but give change in kip.  Take lots of small baht.  Not an expensive place.  No hassles, though maybe language problems.  Good French food: try Le Vendome.

I will go again at the end of this month or next.  I have all the documents.

• 3 weeks later...

Brian

I've just got the bus ticket from Mo Chit to go again tonight.  I'd intended Pnomh Penh or Penang or KL (HK and Singapore being difficult) but the Lao trip makes a welcome change after 20 years of flying.  The VIP bus is quicker and more comfortable than the train and there are no SARS and security checks.

I sat with my lawyer for half an hour and ran over all papers - originals and copies - on Friday.  I am taking a Thai/Lao speaker with me.  Maybe this sounds like a military operation.  Will advise the result.

One last point: The Lao Embassy now only issues visas in the morning 09.30 to 12.00 and although I was on their doorstep when they opened, three days ago, visa operators were ahead of me with dozens of passports in their hands.

Steve

Report on trip to Vientiane as promised

Success.  Got a Non-O Single Entry

Thai-Lao Friendship Bridge opens at 6 am so you can be on the doorstep of the Thai Consulate by 8.  About two dozen people were already ahead of me but the line moves quickly.

You fill in the forms, hand over copies of supporting documents (they didn't ask for the originals but I had them).  Leave the passport overnight and with luck it reappears after 1 pm the next afternoon.

I was in NongKhai by 3 and back in BKK on overnight bus at 4am.

Steve