Northern Irish teenager dies after falling from Bangkok condo

rooster59

Northern Irish teenager dies after falling from Bangkok condo

post-247607-0-84588400-1466314641_thumb.

Image: Thairath

BANGKOK:-- A teenager from Northern Ireland has died after falling from the fifth floor of a condominium in Samut Prakan.

Jules Farrelly, 17, succumbed to his injuries on Friday after falling from the balcony of the apartment building on Sukhumvit Soi 109 in Samut Prakan, reported Thairath.

Police Capt Nakrin Jambanin from Samrong Nuea Police Station along with rescue workers from the Poh Tek Tung rescue foundation answered an emergency call on Wednesday that a young foreign man had suffered serious injuries after falling from a balcony.

When they attended they found Mr Farrelly unconscious and with life threatening injuries.

He was rushed to the intensive care unit of Vibharam Chaiphrakarn Hospital but despite the efforts of doctors died from his injuries 48 hours later.

As part of their investigations into the incident, police interviewed the owner of the condominium, Mr Chakon, 40, who said that Mr Farrelly lived there with another male and female who were also Irish.

On the day of the incident, the condominium owner told police that he had received complaints from other tenants regarding the noise coming Mr Farrelly’s room.

When Mr Chakon went to investigate he said he was stopped by one of the condominium security guards who told him a foreigner had fallen from his balcony. Mr Chakon and the security guard then ran outside which is where they found Mr Farrelly. They then contacted the police.

When officers searched Mr Farrelly’s room they found a white powder, believed to ketamine, and a packet of painkillers, six of which had already been used.

Pol Capt Nakrin added that CCTV footage revealed that Mr Farrelly had been behaving strangely prior to him jumping from the balcony.

Officers concluded that the cocktail of ketamine and painkillers had caused Mr Farrelly to hallucinate or believe he was being chased by someone which is why he jumped from the balcony.

There was no further mention of the whereabouts of Mr Farrelly’s roommates or if they were spoken to during the investigation.

Source: Thairath

tvn.png
-- 2016-06-19

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course he fell, Why would we think any differently over here in the Land of Skydiving.

The Rtp hav already concluded within minutes that it woz the ketamine an painkillers that made him hallucinate or think he woz being chased by someone.

So murder ruled out then already. Don't want to upset the tourist minister now do we. ???

What kind of parents would let a 17 year old go to Bangkok unsupervised?

How do you know they let him, and if in fact they did, how do you know he was unsupervised? Better stay off your balcony, you have a tendency to jump to conclusions.

And what's your theory on where a 17 year old got the money to go to Bangkok and do drugs if not from his parents? Saved it from his wages perhaps? And yeah, given that he ended up as a splat on the pavement, I'd say it was safe to say he was unsupervised.

17 is the age to experiment your limits with alcohol and most of us remember violent room spinning and physically holding on to the bed. Im guessing has was blind drunk and fooling around on the balcony and went over

Stupid, ignorant, and irresponsible ones.

Not everyone has parents! Orphanages are full of young adults who have been abandoned, neglected, or lost their parents from fatal circumstances.

Tourist dying from condo falls for 20+ years. If 30 plus tourists were dying in Australia every year Procedures would be put in place, ie minimum railing levels or security screens, they wouldn't be sitting back after 20 years and say <deleted>, I'm buggered and have no idea to prevent these tragedies.

Sad indeed to lose such a young life.I am not sure what he was doing at this time in bkk?

How many people fell to their feath in Thailand this year? How many of those were THAI? Can any one enlighten me plz

Obviously all the Thai deaths by falling are not going to be reported in your English speaking news provider, this does not mean that a higher percentage of foreigners die in this way. To put things into perspective, in the US over 30,000 people die from falling every year, it is one of the most common causes of accidental death, just behind traffic accidents and poisoning, and represents 23% of all accidental deaths. If we were to assume a similar percentage of the Thai population are to die from falling, then we would expect over 6000 deaths by falling every year.

Tourist dying from condo falls for 20+ years. If 30 plus tourists were dying in Australia every year Procedures would be put in place, ie minimum railing levels or security screens, they wouldn't be sitting back after 20 years and say <deleted>, I'm buggered and have no idea to prevent these tragedies.

Almost 1% of all deaths in Australia are from falling, over 1384 in 2008, 35 of which were from buildings, they saw a 54% increase between 2003 and 2008, what did they do about it?

Not everyone has parents! Orphanages are full of young adults who have been abandoned, neglected, or lost their parents from fatal circumstances.

We'll know soon enough when the story hits the NI papers, but I can't see many 17 y.o. orphans having the money to go on a drugs binge in Bangkok.

17 is the age to experiment your limits with alcohol and most of us remember violent room spinning and physically holding on to the bed. Im guessing has was blind drunk and fooling around on the balcony and went over

And the ketamine and painkillers had nothing to do with it?

In many countries a parent has no legal say whatever where a 17 year old goes or does.

And the ketamine and painkillers had nothing to do with it?

"Officers concluded that the cocktail of ketamine and painkillers had caused Mr Farrelly to hallucinate or believe he was being chased by someone which is why he jumped from the balcony."

Concluded how? Not tests mentioned!

The kind who have to abide by UK laws and, beyond asking nicely, have no power to stop him, and are liable to be arrested & imprisoned if they try to stop him. Go figure.

The kind who have to abide by UK laws and, beyond asking nicely, have no power to stop him, and are liable to be arrested & imprisoned if they try to stop him. Go figure.

Still haven't heard any guesses on where he got the money.

At 17 what kind of kind would ask if it's ok?

At 17 what kind of kid has the money to go to Bangkok?

I have no idea where the money came from, as you do not also.

I have a good friend from France, who at 16 was traveling and working his way around the world. Both he and i would never even think to ask my parents if i could do anything. At 17 you are working and paying your own way, why ask?

Archived