Northern Irish teenager dies after falling from Bangkok condo

rooster59

What kind of parents would let a 17 year old go to Bangkok unsupervised?

The kind who have to abide by UK laws and, beyond asking nicely, have no power to stop him, and are liable to be arrested & imprisoned if they try to stop him. Go figure.

I dont know the answer to that, and I am surprised.

UK law would allow a minor to travel to a foreign country with out parental consent?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The kind who have to abide by UK laws and, beyond asking nicely, have no power to stop him, and are liable to be arrested & imprisoned if they try to stop him. Go figure.

UK law would allow a minor to travel to a foreign country with out parental consent?

If you have left home and have a job, why would you need parental consent?

If you have left home and have a job, why would you need parental consent?

I was under the impression that the age of emancipation in the UK is 18 years old, does having a job ,or leaving home change that?

where does a 17yr get the money to fly and stay in Thailand, mom and dad?

How do you know they let him, and if in fact they did, how do you know he was unsupervised? Better stay off your balcony, you have a tendency to jump to conclusions.

Sirinecou.........

"I was under the impression that the age of emancipation in the UK is 18 years old, does having a job ,or leaving home change that? "

Legally no. But for sure once i left home i would never considered asking permission from my parents on how to lead my life.

Stupid, ignorant, and irresponsible ones.

I did not get to Bangkok unsupervised at age 17, but I sure as hell did a lot of things and in a lot of places that put me in the position to have suffered a similar demise. Just luck. And my parents were fantastic, responsible, intelligent people who loved me very much. Nobody could talk sense to me at that age. Some humans are like that - most of them young men, or boys. I was like that at that age. I am a lot older now and though I am not dead I certainly have scars.

"Ahh but I was so much older then, I am younger than that now" - Bob Dylan

At 17 what kind of kind would ask if it's ok?

At 17 what kind of kid has the money to go to Bangkok?

Many as even a kid in McDonalds gets over $7us an hour and most work part time 14 hrs = about $100 a week.

Many families let their children keep what they earn for their own need so in about 15 weeks he has enough for a couple of weeks here.

Sirinecou.........

"I was under the impression that the age of emancipation in the UK is 18 years old, does having a job ,or leaving home change that? "

Legally no. But for sure once i left home i would never considered asking permission from my parents on how to lead my life.

yes but aren't there border controls that would prevent you from traveling with out parental permission.

When I was seventeen, my parents would not dare tell me where I could go or not go.

They knew they would get told where to go to if they even tried.

How do you know they let him, and if in fact they did, how do you know he was unsupervised? Better stay off your balcony, you have a tendency to jump to conclusions.

And what's your theory on where a 17 year old got the money to go to Bangkok and do drugs if not from his parents? Saved it from his wages perhaps? And yeah, given that he ended up as a splat on the pavement, I'd say it was safe to say he was unsupervised.

If he lived with his parents of other relative he would be paying little if any rent, working in a factory or office he would be taking home between 300/400 pounds a week. Left school a full year ago, so could easily have saved 10 grand.

www.gov.uk says

Children nearly or over 16 years old

Your child must apply for a 10-year adult passport if they’ll be 16 within the next few weeks or they’re already over 16. They can apply without getting parental consent

When I was seventeen, my parents would not dare tell me where I could go or not go.

but there were legal entities who would, and when you got to the airport, they would tell you to go ask your percents, would they not?

And if they did, would you tell them" where to go" and just enter the plane? I want to see how far that would get you.thumbsup.gif

but there were legal entities who would, and when you got to the airport, they would tell you to go ask your percents, would they not?

And if they did, would you tell them" where to go" and just enter the plane? I want to see how far that would get you.thumbsup.gif

No. You are free to go anywhere.

I am lucky that I survived my teen years and still standing straight he was not RIP.. My condolences to the parents a loss nobody ever recover from a 100%..

Condo balconys here seem to be an insecure area if we look at the past.. Even if u are 100% pissed or drugged or perhaps both u should not be able to go over

Sirinecou.........

yes but aren't there border controls that would prevent you from traveling with out parental permission.

I suspect the answer to that is no. As when i travelled to the UK I talked with an English Lass (About 14-15) who was studying in India and travelling back to the UK alone

As part of their investigations into the incident, police interviewed the owner of the condominium, Mr Chakon, 40, who said that Mr Farrelly lived there with another male and female who were also Irish.

Perhaps these other Irish citizens were his parents.

I am not saying that you are wrong, as an American I dont know the regulations in the UK, but I find it difficult to believe , that in the UK a minor can travel to a foreign country with out parental consent.

Very sad indeed but I just cant help but think there is allot more to this story. Where are his friends why were they not questioned. You cannot blame the parent most teenagers now a day do not listen to their parent and its hard as you can no longer give them a clip round the ear hole with all the new laws and regulations about chastising your children its causing complete anarchy sorry for going on. R.I.P young man and condolences to his family

It seems you follow every rule put in front of you. Others do not.

I can honestly say if i was working and not living with my parents i would not accept in any way that form of control.

As another poster wrote, after 16 you can travel alone with a UK passport.

to go" and just enter the plane? I want to see how far that would get you.thumbsup.gif

I am not saying that you are wrong, as an American I dont know the regulations in the UK, but I find it difficult to believe , that in the UK a minor can travel to a foreign country with out parental consent.

The US is one of the few countries that does try to put restrictions on "children" which may be why they are the only country out of those eligible that will not ratify the Convention on the rights of the child.

Under Scottish law once you are 16 years old, you can even get married without your parents permission, so

how can they stop you going anywhere?clap2.gif

Ok let's put this to bed.

"You must get the permission of someone with parental responsibility for a child or from a court before taking the child abroad.

Taking a child abroad without permission is child abduction. "

https://www.gov.uk/permission-take-child-abroad

the only question remaining is a 17 year old considered a child under UK law.

Archived