Northern Irish teenager dies after falling from Bangkok condo

rooster59

Ok let's put this to bed.

"You must get the permission of someone with parental responsibility for a child or from a court before taking the child abroad.

Taking a child abroad without permission is child abduction. "

https://www.gov.uk/permission-take-child-abroad

the only question remaining is a 17 year old considered a child under UK law.

16 you can have your own passport and travel.

And you talking about "taking" which i understand, as before i needed letters from the parents of children i was taking on a day trip to France.

But "taking" and "child abduction" are not the same as an independent person living alone above 16 wanting to travel. nor should it be. If one is old enough to pay taxes, rent etc, one is old enough to travel alone.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What kind of parents would let a 17 year old go to Bangkok unsupervised?

How do you know they let him, and if in fact they did, how do you know he was unsupervised? Better stay off your balcony, you have a tendency to jump to conclusions.

And what's your theory on where a 17 year old got the money to go to Bangkok and do drugs if not from his parents? Saved it from his wages perhaps? And yeah, given that he ended up as a splat on the pavement, I'd say it was safe to say he was unsupervised.

If he lived with his parents of other relative he would be paying little if any rent, working in a factory or office he would be taking home between 300/400 pounds a week. Left school a full year ago, so could easily have saved 10 grand.

17 y.o., Northern Ireland, job, £400 a week. We're talking about Earth here, not some other fantasy planet. Trust me, there are no factories in NI, or jobs.

Sirinecou.........

"I was under the impression that the age of emancipation in the UK is 18 years old, does having a job ,or leaving home change that? "

Legally no. But for sure once i left home i would never considered asking permission from my parents on how to lead my life.

yes but aren't there border controls that would prevent you from traveling with out parental permission.

Children who are eligible to travel alone or with unaccompanied minor service may travel to an international destination, but please consider the maturity of your child when planning unaccompanied travel on an international flight. Nonstop flights within the U.S. are more appropriate for children with less maturity. If your child is traveling to an international destination, please verify international documentation requirements with the departure and destination countries and confirm any requirements with your local United Customer Contact Center before the day of travel.

No unaccompanied minor service over 15, so yes they can travel at 17... from the US

Here's my guess, and I admit it's only a guess but it's based on a lot of experience of the real world. He finished school. Someone he knew offered him a free all expenses paid trip to exotic Bangkok. A couple he knew would meet him at the airport and let him stay at their place, show him the sights. And all he had to do was bring an extra suitcase on the way home.

Sirinecou.........

"I was under the impression that the age of emancipation in the UK is 18 years old, does having a job ,or leaving home change that? "

Legally no. But for sure once i left home i would never considered asking permission from my parents on how to lead my life.

yes but aren't there border controls that would prevent you from traveling with out parental permission.

children who are eligible to travel alone or with unaccompanied minor service may travel to an international destination, but please consider the maturity of your child when planning unaccompanied travel on an international flight. Nonstop flights within the U.S. are more appropriate for children with less maturity. If your child is traveling to an international destination, please verify international documentation requirements with the departure and destination countries and confirm any requirements with your local United Customer Contact Center before the day of travel.

No unaccompanied minor service if over 15, so yes a 17 can travel from the US do not know about UK.

Ok let's put this to bed.

"You must get the permission of someone with parental responsibility for a child or from a court before taking the child abroad.

the only question remaining is a 17 year old considered a child under UK law.

16 you can have your own passport and travel.

And you talking about "taking" which i understand, as before i needed letters from the parents of children i was taking on a day trip to France.

But "taking" and "child abduction" are not the same as an independent person living alone above 16 wanting to travel. nor should it be. If one is old enough to pay taxes, rent etc, one is old enough to travel alone.

the airline that operates the airplane the minor will take to Thailand is run by adults with out "parental responsibility"

for a fee they will take a person out of the country. Unless given authority by an other responsible entity, they would be in violation of the above regulation.

So the question remains is a 17 year old considered a child, or not? I looked up the age of emancipation in the UK and unless I got it wrong it is 18 years old. Is there an amendment to that in the UK allowing to travel with out permission at a lower age.

Sorry for taking this tread off topic, though the comment was made "what parent would let their 17 year old go to Thailand by then selves" and the retort was "a parent cant stop him"

It should be a simple issue.

I am not British and I don't know . from what I have found, it seems not, and i provided a link.

Many of you are British and have children. You should know the answer to this. Please provide a link to where it says a 17 year old in the UK can travel abroad with out parental permission, and it would be the last time you will hear me say anything else on this subject,

Though I do reserve the right to rant and rave on other subjectstongue.png

Sirinecou.........

children who are eligible to travel alone or with unaccompanied minor service may travel to an international destination, but please consider the maturity of your child when planning unaccompanied travel on an international flight. Nonstop flights within the U.S. are more appropriate for children with less maturity. If your child is traveling to an international destination, please verify international documentation requirements with the departure and destination countries and confirm any requirements with your local United Customer Contact Center before the day of travel.

No unaccompanied minor service if over 15, so yes a 17 can travel from the US do not know about UK.

This pertains to unaccompanied minors, not to minors with out permission.

Unaccompanied minors if over 15 but with permission from parents to travel. otherwise why would thy ask the parents to consider the maturity of the child.

http://blog.opodo.co.uk/unaccompanied-minors-rules-by-airline/

It is unllikely these airlines would consider 16 an adult for this purpose if not lawful.

By the way in Scotland a 16 year old is an adult.

Three points

a ) the 17 year old is not from Scotland

b ) unaccompanied minors is a different issue, than minors with out permission

c ) do people in Scotland have Scottish Passports or British Passports?

I am not saying that you are wrong, as an American I dont know the regulations in the UK, but I find it difficult to believe , that in the UK a minor can travel to a foreign country with out parental consent.

Age of consent for everything in the UK is 16.

After that you are an adult and you can do what you like, no parental permission needed.

Of course he fell, Why would we think any differently over here in the Land of Skydiving.

The Rtp hav already concluded within minutes that it woz the ketamine an painkillers that made him hallucinate or think he woz being chased by someone.

So murder ruled out then already. Don't want to upset the tourist minister now do we. ???

And we all know that no farang ever come to Thailand to party. get drunk/high and do foolish things. Everything has to be a conspiracy involving nefarious (Thai) people according to those whose investigative experience is limited to binge watching CSI.

I am not saying that you are wrong, as an American I dont know the regulations in the UK, but I find it difficult to believe , that in the UK a minor can travel to a foreign country with out parental consent.

Age of consent for everything in the UK is 16.

After that you are an adult and you can do what you like, no parental permission needed.

Sexual consent,and maby other things

but according to the UK gov website,

Child:

"The UN Convention on the Rights of the Child defines a child as everyone under 18unless, "under the law applicable to the child, majority is attained earlier" (Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, 1989). The UK has ratified this convention."

https://www.nspcc.org.uk/preventing-abuse/child-protection-system/legal-definition-child-rights-law/legal-definitions/

Sad indeed to lose such a young life.I am not sure what he was doing at this time in bkk?

How many people fell to their feath in Thailand this year? How many of those were THAI? Can any one enlighten me plz

Do you think all Thai suicides are reported in the English news section ? If you read Thai you can read about suspicious deaths every week here.

Sad indeed to lose such a young life.I am not sure what he was doing at this time in bkk?

How many people fell to their feath in Thailand this year? How many of those were THAI? Can any one enlighten me plz

Do you think all Thai suicides are reported in the English news section ? If you read Thai you can read about suspicious deaths every week here.

Also, very few Thais live higher than the first floor. By comparison, many farang stay in high rise condos or hotels.

Also, very few Thais live higher than the first floor.

What? So all those living around me in that 8 storey condo weren't Thai?

Also, very few Thais live higher than the first floor. By comparison, many farang stay in high rise condos or hotels.

I have a list of the stupidest things I have ever heard.

In first place, and for decades was "What time is it? NOW?

I never thought I would see the day ... but you have done it.

" ... very few Thais live higher than the first floor" -

The STUPIDEST thing I have ever heard!

The majority of deaths from falling are in the 2 foot to 4 foot high, it doesn't take much of a fall to kill you. If you are 6 feet tall and standing on a 2 foot high chair your head is 8 feet off the ground. pop like a water melon

I have a list of the stupidest things I have ever heard.

In first place, and for decades was "What time is it? NOW?

I never thought I would see the day ... but you have done it.

" ... very few Thais live higher than the first floor" -

The STUPIDEST thing I have ever heard!

Thats a really good one most thais live on the first floor hehehehehehehe

My Thai teacher was from Samut Prakan and it's just a small town outside Bangkok,mostly full of Japanese students and a fish canning factory that he used to work in as a kid to pay for his schooling,so what the Hell were three Irish tourists doing there in the first place? blink.png

My Thai teacher was from Samut Prakan and it's just a small town outside Bangkok,mostly full of Japanese students and a fish canning factory that he used to work in as a kid to pay for his schooling,so what the Hell were three Irish tourists doing there in the first place? blink.png

You clearly know nothing about Samut Prakarn, nor that Sukhumvit 109 is only a short walk to the BTS.

There also many international schools nearby, given his age he may have been attending one.

Anyway such a tragedy at such a young age.

Of course he fell, Why would we think any differently over here in the Land of Skydiving.

The Rtp hav already concluded within minutes that it woz the ketamine an painkillers that made him hallucinate or think he woz being chased by someone.

So murder ruled out then already. Don't want to upset the tourist minister now do we. ???

I agree you cannot rule out murder,but there was no mention of the police looking for the mates who have disappeared.It's the same old story---- we see drugs people say he was acting funny,OK so he was hallucinating and fell from balcony------- OK superintendent ? yes my son,case closed------------ so sad to see so young a life just thrown away RIP young manwai.gifwai.gifwai.gif

I was working and went to Bali with seven mates when I was seventeen. I told my parents I was going, no need to ask the for permission.

I had mates who were selling drugs at 16. Maybe he had a job, maybe he was a drug dealer.

Once again it is up to the Thais to scrape up another farang off the road and deal with the mess he has left behind.

You have got to appreciate and love Thai logic...lots of noise coming from room...drugs...and a teen that thinks he is being chased and jumps to his death...

Yep...case closed!

Archived