Mother of German killed by a Thai driver in Phuket begs for justice

webfact

Mother of German killed by a Thai driver begs for justice

Mr-Walter-dead-in-Thailand-1.jpg

PHUKET: -- On the 3rd of December 2015 at 11.00pm Andreas Walter (47), from Babenhausen, near Frankfurt in Germany, was killed in a car accident in Karon, Phuket. The Lufthansa engineer had been shopping with his wife Patcharin (31).

As they drove past 7-11 Thai driver Jakarin (27) from Nahon Si Thammarat Province drove into the couples Honda Scooter in his Black Honda Civic. According to several eye witnesses the driver of the car tried to flee the scene of the accident and in doing so drove over Mr Walter, who was stuck under the car, three times killing him in the process.

Patcharin was thrown onto the pavement during the accident and sustained head and face injuries as well as substantial bruises. A German forensic expert later stated that Walter would have certainly survived the accident if the driver had just stopped. But he did not.

mr-walter-dead-in-Thailand-3.jpg

The 2nd day of the trial will take place on June 24th. The family of Andreas Walter in Germany have released an open letter to the killer of their son. Mother Helga Walter (77) writes to Jakarin and begs him to confess and tell the whole truth about this dreadful and tragic night in Karon.

She writes that he has caused the death of her beloved boy because he cowardly tried to save himself from any kind of responsibility. She accuses him of murder because her son would still be alive if he had just stopped his car after the accident – and many witnesses approved this version to the police later, too.

mr-walter-dead-in-Thailand-2.jpg

Andreas Walter’s lungs collapsed due to the severe injuries – several ribs perforated his lung and he died on the scene of the accident in pain. His Thai wife stayed in Phuket hospital for two days prior to being released and today can live a normal life.

She continues to run the business the couple ran together, the Café Elephant in Karon, however she wishes to have no more to do with the case and move on with her life.

The deceased man’s mother Helga Walter adds a comment to her open letter, that the Thai driver should relief his own pain by confessing – also regarding his Buddhist religion and the fact that he might have a miserable next life having screws up so much in this one.

An interesting view from a German mother whose son told her a great deal about Thailand and its culture, a country he loved very much. Andreas Walter wanted to stay in Thailand after his retirement and was partner of the Café Elephant in Karon and a devoted husband to his wife Patcharin.

Source: http://www.samuitimes.com/mother-of-german-killed-by-a-thai-driver-begs-for-justice/

samuitimes-logo.jpg
-- Samui Times 2016-06-20

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My condolences to the family of the young man. No justification for folks to run from the scene of an accident.

Sadly the use of motorbikes by many is really the major catastrophe to be found in Thailand. Why tourists continue to take their lives in their hands riding there is beyond me. Motorbikes are "death machines."

Justice is a distant bell, rarely heard in Thailand!

lets see what does happen after the trail, as for the wife, maybe someone got to her, (money) the German mother will never get that coward to confess as it is the thai custom and has been for the forty five years that I have known thai's to run away from any accident! it is in their genes! same as ganging up on a thai or falang. I have never seen a one on one fight between a thai and a falang! NEVER!

RIP to the young man, you can only imagine what his family are going through, you know he is having a nice time with his wife, then you are told that he has been killed in such a tragic way, very sad.

"Mother Helga Walter writes to Jakarin and begs him to confess and tell the whole truth about this dreadful and tragic night in Karon"

I have lived in Thailand for many years and I can say with certainty that I have never witnessed a Thai admit to or confess to any wrong doing, even something as trivial stealing a banana at the market.

My condolences to the family of the young man. No justification for folks to run from the scene of an accident.

Sadly the use of motorbikes by many is really the major catastrophe to be found in Thailand. Why tourists continue to take their lives in their hands riding there is beyond me. Motorbikes are "death machines."

The use of any vehicle here is dangerous, just look at recent news.

He was not a tourist, he lived here and was a partner in a business here.

Motorbikes are not death machines, what an uneducated and stupid statement to make.

Unfortunately the hit and run driver is commonplace in Thailand, the trait of not accepting responsibility for one's action is inherent. This is endemic in all walks of Thai life, not just driving.

The "death machine" was the Honda Civic, not the motorbike.

so sad very sad beyond words. what type of culture, society does not accept responsibility for its wrongs but wants to be lavished for good deeds? sounds like a very immature society that should never be allowed to spread to the rest of humankind. can not live in our humankind community doing things like this. failed society not today or tomorrow but soon,eventually it will fail into chaos.

Thais do often confess to crimes as a jail sentence will be halved. That's the only reason.

Would a hit and run of this nature warrant a jail sentence in a typical Thai Court? Sadly it might not, in which case a confession is unlikely.

this does not sound like a road accident.

it needs to be investigated why the driver drove over the victim 3 times.

Read the article more careful!! He wanted to flee the scene of the accident. Most probably on booze, drugs or a combination of both. If he can get to a different province there is less chance that the police will follow him. My understanding is that there is little co-operation or co-ordination between provincial/district police forces. They work independently. This may explain why bus drivers flee the scenes of the accidents. No driver's license, flee to a different province, lay low and let it blow over. Someone should take the German mother aside and explain her how Thai culture and society works. Explain where the falang fits in the pecking order of Thai society and what she can expect in her request for justice (there are plenty of examples out there).

Fleeing or trying to flee the scene of the accident automatically render you guilty according Thai law, in addition to any other law violations.

,,,and offenders punished appropriately? Not in a million years. Money absolves you of all guilt.

"She continues to run the business the couple ran together, the Café Elephant in Karon, however she wishes to have no more to do with the case and move on with her life."

Says everything you need to know about his 'beloved' wife. Presumably now she has full ownership of the cafe, she doesn't need to have the killers of her husband convicted and the cause of the crash involving her husband come to light. Suppose the court needs her as a witness or they might deem it her husband's fault? Some wife.

.....sadly savage mentality is the rule rather than the exception here....

.....and that murderer should be in jail the rest of his life....

.....as for 'the wife'.....

....reaped all the benefits...and continues to do so......

...wonder if they even have a word for 'loyalty' in their vocabulary.....

in a round about way it will be better if he does not admit guilt since in Thailand sentences are usually halved for doing so. With the amount of evidence and witnesses they have he could end up going away for a long long time.

Archived